HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers talking to Predators to move salary

Old
09-30-2011, 06:01 PM
lancer247

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
You sure about that one? Well yea, with those 3 centers, obviously he would be put to wing. BUT I think his terrible % was also a factor.

10/11: 48.6%
09/10: 41.2%
08/09: 51.1%
07/08: 45%
06/07: 44.4%
05/06: 42.9%

So yea, other than 08/09, he has been horrendous. But hey, if you guys want a mid 40s % faceoff guy taking defense draws and such (that Betts does) more power to ya.
wasn"t the 09/10 season the one after he had shoulder surgery and only played in like 30 games.

i am not saying he is better then betts or not but i do see a player that a 42.9% winning percentage a a 21 y/o rookie then steadily increased t eah season until he tore up his shoulder then came back to close to 50%.

betts is a tough decision. for me he has to be atleast 50% FO and a stalwart PKer to stay on the team because there are other guys that can lose more then half their FOs and are solid PKers.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:31 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Safe to assume this is a dead rumor at this point?

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:34 PM
CerpinTaxt

Maybe not seeing as how the Flyers are tight against the cap. A trade could be made still to free up space, the question is who.

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:44 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Safe to assume this is a dead rumor at this point?
Only if you believed it in the first place.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:09 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Only if you believed it in the first place.
I have to believe that every rumor out there has at least some sort of truth to it. I'm sure some people pull things out of thin air, but I think that is the minority. Doesn't mean that all rumors will come true, but it wouldn't be shocking at all if Homer called Nashville to inquire about a trade. That's why I think a dude like Eklund gets a bad rap, he's only reporting what he hears.

Old
10-03-2011, 02:24 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I have to believe that every rumor out there has at least some sort of truth to it. I'm sure some people pull things out of thin air, but I think that is the minority. Doesn't mean that all rumors will come true, but it wouldn't be shocking at all if Homer called Nashville to inquire about a trade. That's why I think a dude like Eklund gets a bad rap, he's only reporting what he hears.
I understand that, but it's one thing to speculate about possibilities, and it's another to discuss SPECIFIC rumors.

Everyone knows we are tight to the cap and have difficult roster decisions to make. How did it get narrowed down to Hartnell? It's so unlikely imo. He is too valuable right now because of how young we are up front.

I mean, what's more likely/less drastic?

Trade Hartnell for cap room

or

Send down/waive (if necessary) a couple of players

One of those options leaves us without yet another veteran who puts up solid numbers. We'd then have to replace him with yet ANOTHER young player, when we already are trying to replace Richards and Carter.

Simply sending Schenn down would allow them to field whatever roster they wanted. 10 games later Couts goes back to Junior, or a couple players play themselves out of their jobs, and the decision is made for you.

I have no issue with acknowledging that it's an option, I just don't understand how it gets legs when there are other far more viable alternatives.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:45 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I understand that, but it's one thing to speculate about possibilities, and it's another to discuss SPECIFIC rumors.

Everyone knows we are tight to the cap and have difficult roster decisions to make. How did it get narrowed down to Hartnell? It's so unlikely imo. He is too valuable right now because of how young we are up front.

I mean, what's more likely/less drastic?

Trade Hartnell for cap room

or

Send down/waive (if necessary) a couple of players

One of those options leaves us without yet another veteran who puts up solid numbers. We'd then have to replace him with yet ANOTHER young player, when we already are trying to replace Richards and Carter.

Simply sending Schenn down would allow them to field whatever roster they wanted. 10 games later Couts goes back to Junior, or a couple players play themselves out of their jobs, and the decision is made for you.

I have no issue with acknowledging that it's an option, I just don't understand how it gets legs when there are other far more viable alternatives.
I think all are pretty plausible. If the Flyers are trying to move cap space, Hartnell really is one of the only options (Hartnell, Coburn, Carle are the only guys with salaries big enough to clear any real space). Hartnell apparently loved Nashville and he has a NTC. I think it would pretty understandable for the Flyers to call up Nashville and say, "hey, what kind of package could we get for Hartnell?" The preds very well may have said we'll give you a third rounder for him and that ended any kind of trade talks. To me, that seems just as likely as waiving Nodl or something like that.

Yeah you could send Schenn down and see what happens, and I wouldn't really be against that and it is equally as possible as a trade, but if Lavy/Homer or whoever thinks that Schenn AND Couturier should be on this team over Hartnell or someone else and a move needs to be made, this trade scenario is pretty reasonable. I am not saying I think it is going to happen or that I want it to, but I don't think it should be dismissed just because it is a rumor.

Like I said, I think most rumors have some basis in truth. Could have been a quick phone call that really didn't go anywhere, or there could be some intense discussions. We as fans don't really know and someone reporting a possible rumor of a trade is just as likely as no trades being talked about at all.

Old
10-04-2011, 01:41 AM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

http://flyersfaithful.com/2011/09/28...umor-timeline/

Trade not likely ...

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 02:34 AM
Damaged Goods

Agreed with DUHockey9. The Flyers can manage their cap situation internally, at least for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
In light of the fact that this rumor was all initiated by a malicious tweeter, I think this thread should be shut down.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:32 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Agreed with DUHockey9. The Flyers can manage their cap situation internally, at least for now.

In light of the fact that this rumor was all initiated by a malicious tweeter, I think this thread should be shut down.
ASF is, sadly, one of the better Flyers' beat writers. Of course, the bar is set lower than low by Panotch and Carchidi.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote