HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers talking to Predators to move salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-30-2011, 06:01 PM
  #301
lancer247
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,007
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
You sure about that one? Well yea, with those 3 centers, obviously he would be put to wing. BUT I think his terrible % was also a factor.

10/11: 48.6%
09/10: 41.2%
08/09: 51.1%
07/08: 45%
06/07: 44.4%
05/06: 42.9%


So yea, other than 08/09, he has been horrendous. But hey, if you guys want a mid 40s % faceoff guy taking defense draws and such (that Betts does) more power to ya.
wasn"t the 09/10 season the one after he had shoulder surgery and only played in like 30 games.

i am not saying he is better then betts or not but i do see a player that a 42.9% winning percentage a a 21 y/o rookie then steadily increased t eah season until he tore up his shoulder then came back to close to 50%.

betts is a tough decision. for me he has to be atleast 50% FO and a stalwart PKer to stay on the team because there are other guys that can lose more then half their FOs and are solid PKers.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:31 PM
  #302
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,548
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Safe to assume this is a dead rumor at this point?

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:34 PM
  #303
CerpinTaxt
Registered User
 
CerpinTaxt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: KY
Posts: 526
vCash: 500
Maybe not seeing as how the Flyers are tight against the cap. A trade could be made still to free up space, the question is who.

CerpinTaxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:44 PM
  #304
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Safe to assume this is a dead rumor at this point?
Only if you believed it in the first place.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:09 PM
  #305
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,548
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Only if you believed it in the first place.
I have to believe that every rumor out there has at least some sort of truth to it. I'm sure some people pull things out of thin air, but I think that is the minority. Doesn't mean that all rumors will come true, but it wouldn't be shocking at all if Homer called Nashville to inquire about a trade. That's why I think a dude like Eklund gets a bad rap, he's only reporting what he hears.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:24 PM
  #306
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I have to believe that every rumor out there has at least some sort of truth to it. I'm sure some people pull things out of thin air, but I think that is the minority. Doesn't mean that all rumors will come true, but it wouldn't be shocking at all if Homer called Nashville to inquire about a trade. That's why I think a dude like Eklund gets a bad rap, he's only reporting what he hears.
I understand that, but it's one thing to speculate about possibilities, and it's another to discuss SPECIFIC rumors.

Everyone knows we are tight to the cap and have difficult roster decisions to make. How did it get narrowed down to Hartnell? It's so unlikely imo. He is too valuable right now because of how young we are up front.

I mean, what's more likely/less drastic?

Trade Hartnell for cap room

or

Send down/waive (if necessary) a couple of players

One of those options leaves us without yet another veteran who puts up solid numbers. We'd then have to replace him with yet ANOTHER young player, when we already are trying to replace Richards and Carter.

Simply sending Schenn down would allow them to field whatever roster they wanted. 10 games later Couts goes back to Junior, or a couple players play themselves out of their jobs, and the decision is made for you.

I have no issue with acknowledging that it's an option, I just don't understand how it gets legs when there are other far more viable alternatives.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 02:45 PM
  #307
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,548
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
I understand that, but it's one thing to speculate about possibilities, and it's another to discuss SPECIFIC rumors.

Everyone knows we are tight to the cap and have difficult roster decisions to make. How did it get narrowed down to Hartnell? It's so unlikely imo. He is too valuable right now because of how young we are up front.

I mean, what's more likely/less drastic?

Trade Hartnell for cap room

or

Send down/waive (if necessary) a couple of players

One of those options leaves us without yet another veteran who puts up solid numbers. We'd then have to replace him with yet ANOTHER young player, when we already are trying to replace Richards and Carter.

Simply sending Schenn down would allow them to field whatever roster they wanted. 10 games later Couts goes back to Junior, or a couple players play themselves out of their jobs, and the decision is made for you.

I have no issue with acknowledging that it's an option, I just don't understand how it gets legs when there are other far more viable alternatives.
I think all are pretty plausible. If the Flyers are trying to move cap space, Hartnell really is one of the only options (Hartnell, Coburn, Carle are the only guys with salaries big enough to clear any real space). Hartnell apparently loved Nashville and he has a NTC. I think it would pretty understandable for the Flyers to call up Nashville and say, "hey, what kind of package could we get for Hartnell?" The preds very well may have said we'll give you a third rounder for him and that ended any kind of trade talks. To me, that seems just as likely as waiving Nodl or something like that.

Yeah you could send Schenn down and see what happens, and I wouldn't really be against that and it is equally as possible as a trade, but if Lavy/Homer or whoever thinks that Schenn AND Couturier should be on this team over Hartnell or someone else and a move needs to be made, this trade scenario is pretty reasonable. I am not saying I think it is going to happen or that I want it to, but I don't think it should be dismissed just because it is a rumor.

Like I said, I think most rumors have some basis in truth. Could have been a quick phone call that really didn't go anywhere, or there could be some intense discussions. We as fans don't really know and someone reporting a possible rumor of a trade is just as likely as no trades being talked about at all.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:41 AM
  #308
Murphy7
Drop the puck
 
Murphy7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Country:
Posts: 1,635
vCash: 500
http://flyersfaithful.com/2011/09/28...umor-timeline/

Trade not likely ...

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 02:34 AM
  #309
Damaged Goods
Registered User
 
Damaged Goods's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,026
vCash: 500
Agreed with DUHockey9. The Flyers can manage their cap situation internally, at least for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy7 View Post
In light of the fact that this rumor was all initiated by a malicious tweeter, I think this thread should be shut down.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:32 AM
  #310
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,037
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damaged Goods View Post
Agreed with DUHockey9. The Flyers can manage their cap situation internally, at least for now.



In light of the fact that this rumor was all initiated by a malicious tweeter, I think this thread should be shut down.
ASF is, sadly, one of the better Flyers' beat writers. Of course, the bar is set lower than low by Panotch and Carchidi.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.