HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

The origins of the Vancouver-Chicago rivalry

Old
09-24-2011, 01:17 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigchiefwantdacup View Post
All I see there is a huge dive by Luongo. Youre telling me that a puck can hit you in the face and youre fine but Buff gives you a little shove with a gloved hand and you fall over like someone just shot you? Give me a break.
You're telling me a goalie who gets hit in the head by a 260lb wildebeest going full speed without expecting it while trying to maintain the play isn't allowed to fall backwards?

Get a grip. He's allowed to fall over without it being a dive. He was full out pushed over, it's not a big deal to admit that part. You aren't going to be any less of a fan of your team. I happily call out Luongo when he dives, but that isn't one of them.

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 02:04 AM
Silfverberg Snipes

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Lui View Post
You're telling me a goalie who gets hit in the head by a 260lb wildebeest going full speed without expecting it while trying to maintain the play isn't allowed to fall backwards?

Get a grip. He's allowed to fall over without it being a dive. He was full out pushed over, it's not a big deal to admit that part. You aren't going to be any less of a fan of your team. I happily call out Luongo when he dives, but that isn't one of them.
...anything for people to rip on Luongo. I'd feel bad for the guy if he didn't suck so hard in the finals.

Silfverberg Snipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 04:31 PM
Badger36

Quote:

Really? That wasnt even close to full speed. It was yet another dive by Bobby Lou in an attempt to draw a penalty.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 08:43 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

Quote:
Really? That wasnt even close to full speed. It was yet another dive by Bobby Lou in an attempt to draw a penalty.
You go in net and take contact from Byfuglien driving with the puck towards you and try to maintain your balance and then you can talk back...

The Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 03:07 AM
Silfverberg Snipes

Quote:
You go in net and take contact from Byfuglien driving with the puck towards you and try to maintain your balance and then you can talk back...
It's a Hawk fan talking. You can't honestly expect him to admit Byfugly was in the wrong. The same way most of us Nucks fans can't stand it when the Sedins get called names.

The thing is the Sedins can change, Byfuglien on the other hand is always going to be a dirty POS. He was the only reason I REALLY hated the Hawks in that two year span where we got our ***** handed to us.

Silfverberg Snipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 04:12 AM
Killion
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupendous Man View Post
The thing is the Sedins can change, Byfuglien on the other hand is always going to be a dirty POS. He was the only reason I REALLY hated the Hawks in that two year span where we got our ***** handed to us.
Can they?. Can the Sedins toughen up with experience?. Sure hope so. The Hawks show grit, as did Boston last June, character & fight, bounce back up, as do many of the Canucks, but not enough, collectively. Put the other guys away when theyve got their foot on the throat.

Last edited by Killion: 09-30-2011 at 03:10 PM. Reason: A kinder gentler me...
Killion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-30-2011, 01:31 PM
BobbySmithFan

The Canucks are sorta like a WWE wrestler. They have different rivalries, story lines and feuds with different teams.

In the early 90s the Canucks and the Winnipeg Jets were competing for the final playoff spot in the Smythe division, and then the Canucks would play the Jets in the playoffs as well. They had some heat, with Mike Peca taking out Selanne, etc.

Vancouver and Calgary have always had a rivalry.

In the early 2000's the Canucks competed for top spot in the NW division and had an intense rivalry with Colorado (Bertuzzi incident pretty much killed it).

Canucks also had a rivalry with Minnesota.

Now its the Hawks.

BobbySmithFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2011, 04:57 PM
Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySmithFan View Post
The Canucks are sorta like a WWE wrestler. They have different rivalries, story lines and feuds with different teams.

In the early 90s the Canucks and the Winnipeg Jets were competing for the final playoff spot in the Smythe division, and then the Canucks would play the Jets in the playoffs as well. They had some heat, with Mike Peca taking out Selanne, etc.

Vancouver and Calgary have always had a rivalry.

In the early 2000's the Canucks competed for top spot in the NW division and had an intense rivalry with Colorado (Bertuzzi incident pretty much killed it).

Canucks also had a rivalry with Minnesota.

Now its the Hawks.
Or, rather, the Avs stopped making the playoffs while the Canucks got better, making it too one-sided to be a rivalry.

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:48 AM
FakeKidPoker*

Or rather the likes of Forsberg, Bertuzzi, Deadmarsh, Jovo, Cooke, Roy, Blake, Tanguay leaving killed it..

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 03:38 AM
Jinsell

Quote:
The rivalry only goes back to '09 when the Hawks eliminated the Canucks 2 years in a row in the playoffs.
Honestly, if the Canucks and their fans didnt choose to make it such a bitter rivalry it wouldnt be much of a rivalry.
In the eyes of most Hawks fans, Detroit is still a bigger rival than Vancouver is because of the history.
If Vancouver and Chicago continue to be the 2 dominant teams in the west every year it will continue to be a rivalry but if either team stops being a playoff team, the rivalry will die because theres really nothing that makes Chicago and Vancouver rivals. Its not as if its a divisional rival or a border battle.
Agree with most of what you said here, but don't act like this rivalry is beneath the Blackhawks and their fans and started solely by the Canucks and their fans. Playoffs breed rivalries and both teams and their fanbases are instrumental in driving it. Sure, Detroit may be the Hawks traditional divisional rival, but Calgary is probably viewed in the same light by the Canucks.

Don't care what anyone says, since 2009 this has been the best rivalry in hockey. Both teams are awesome. Even if their respective fanbases sometimes leave a lot to be desired.

Jinsell is offline   Reply With Quote