HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Goaltending thread: Triple threat? (All things Islanders Goaltending)

Old
10-04-2011, 05:17 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

vCash: 102
Goaltending thread: Triple threat? (All things Islanders Goaltending)

So as we all know the New York Islanders pre season games have come to an end. One of NYIs biggest questions this year, Is who is our # 1 / Do we have one ? How will this all work out etc...Here are the Stats of some of our goalies from the preseason.

Dipietro 40-43 .930
Montoya 22-23 .956
Nabokov 32-36 .888

Now these of course are simply just stats and very miniscule proof or indication of how well any 3 of them are actually going to play this up coming season. Also, Taking in to consideration the lineup the night each goalie played and how that team was playing etc.. obviously plays a factor. All things considered and like I said on limited playing time all 3 goalies to me looked good. Nabbys stats are not so hot but he played better then those stats IMO ( once again reiterating, they dont mean much)

Right now I see it as it is no1s job to lose because no 1 has it. I believe all 3 of these goalies can carry this team, Even ricky if he stays healthy..Do I think he will ? NO. Rick IMO will never be what we all expected of him just a couple years ago and maybe now a 1a / # 2 goalie (possibly very wishful thinking) at BEST (If healthy)..Most of you already know this. I believe this season coaching will give more chances to Montoya and Nabby, I feel if Dipi shows signs of a decrease in skill or not playing to a #1 standard his leash will be extremly short. Another long term injury to rick and hes a goner, This team is on the verge of contending soon and rickys time is running out he needs to stay healthy and contribute or hes gone. I know some think he will be here as an issue for a long time, he will not. If he continues to miss games and decrease in skill once this team starts to make a serious push I know Wang will get off the Dipi train and he will be bought out. Dipi is important to try to salvage for the islanders or I should say Wangs image but with Dipi slowly aging along with injuries and a descent paycheck once this team becomes a legit contender I do not see Wang risking hurting this new rebuild coming to fruitation on a count of 1 man.

I created this to get everyones thoughts and opinions on our 3 guys and how they will be handled and who will lead this team along with anything else involving our goalies for the remainder of the season. Lets just pray if we do get good goaltending and manage to make the playoffs hopefully someone ends the season on a hot streak becuase we cant afford this uncertainty in the playoffs (ref: 2010-11 philadelphia in the playoffs). The playoffs seeming less unlikely the more I think about it unless the goalie situation works itself out regardless of this teams talent. The defense is questionable but borderline good, But with 3 goalies possibly constantly rotating, It will make for a very tough task for our Dmen to get in a groove communicationally and situationally during games with never having a consistent goalie in net to get used to his style of play. (that IMO our defense cant afford)

All that being said, we can all agree on 1 thing... Does not matter who but 1 one of them needs to take the ball and run with it and become the clear cut # 1. Not a must to be successful but will make games much easier on all players and Dmen even more so. We sit 5 days away from opening night for our boys and although I will not be attending many games this season due to still being in the Army..I look foward to being home for next season and being able to discuss other things with my fellow Isles fans at games other then our goaltending. Should be interesting to say the least to see this goaltending "triple threat" this season. I invite everyone to use this thread to talk about it all season long instead of driving our great mods more crazy then we already do during the season with having a new "dipi sucks" "dipi must go" "dipi hurt" etc.. threads up the ying yang every week, This way they can try to enjoy this board a little more then constantly locking up a new dipi thread or sifting through all the goaltender threads over the year. I figure this would be much easier and make sense to just have 1 big goaltending thread...But thats not up to me.

From the US Army at Fort Riley, Kansas... Lets go Islanders !!!

Last edited by NYI JT91: 11-29-2011 at 02:31 AM.
NYI JT91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 05:24 AM
the isle revival

vCash: 500
Honestly, I'm fine with any combination of the three. I just don't want to carry three goaltenders.

the isle revival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 05:42 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the isle revival View Post
Honestly, I'm fine with any combination of the three. I just don't want to carry three goaltenders.
Yeah I agree it will make things complicated. Unfortunatly Dipietro is a must for now, Nabokov is too valuable and possibly still a # 1 and has alot of experience to just sit him and Montoya if is as advertised from last season played too well to sit also. I have a feeling there is a definite chance we carry 3, Atleast for the beginning of the season then depeneding on how they play maybe a trade / buyout. Time will tell.

Old
10-04-2011, 05:47 AM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Now I know how Philly felt last year

OrangeZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 05:51 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZebra View Post
Now I know how Philly felt last year
During the season their goaltending was solid even though they had no clear cut number 1. Playoffs was definitly a struggle with them on goaltending for sure.

Old
10-04-2011, 06:29 AM
JKP

DP #1 as long as he's performing and / or healthy. Nabby #2 and get him enough work to hopefully find someone not happy with their goaltending to offer us at least a middling pick or a decent depth player. Then Montoya can back up DP.

JKP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:33 AM
Knish Of The Crease

DP #1, Nabby #1a. Nabby plays just enough to get traded in mid November for some value to a team who's starter goes down.

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:43 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ MAC View Post
DP #1, Nabby #1a. Nabby plays just enough to get traded in mid November for some value to a team who's starter goes down.
What if dipi plays terrible and Nabby is playing amazing. Cant move dipi and would be dumb to move your best goalie if you want to make the playoffs. montoya right now is much better of an option then dipi IMO. Would be nice if the scenario you laid out was how it actually went but we all know the chances of dipi earning the #1 spot isnt just a sure thing lol anything but that actually. Easy to think its so simple...But last year we also expected a healthy dipi streit and okposo..need to think in terms of alot of "IFS" with this team.

Old
10-04-2011, 07:22 AM
CrossCheck

BTW, how was Kosky in the preseason and whats the plan with him?

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:24 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCheck View Post
BTW, how was Kosky in the preseason and whats the plan with him?
He did "okay" he will spend the year in AHL @ bridgeport backing up Poulin is my best guess.

Last edited by NYI JT91: 10-04-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old
10-04-2011, 07:36 AM
CrossCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islesallday View Post
He did "okay" he will spend the year in AHL @ bridgeport backing up Poulin is my best guess.
Will he ever become a reliable back up in the NHL u think?

CrossCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:41 AM
NYI JT91
(Islesallday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossCheck View Post
Will he ever become a reliable back up in the NHL u think?
Very possible he is still young. His potential IMO is # 2 in the nhl, will he ever get to that ? too soon to tell. give him another year or 2 then you should have a better idea of where he stands. I know you havent seen the last of him though in the NHL as long as he keeps improving he will atleast find some call ups at the least. He needs to move it though as he is young still but not an 18 or 19 year old kid anymore...going on 23 I think.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/mikko_koskinen

Old
10-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Fantom

There are so many things that can happen here with 3 Goalies.
All 3 of the guys can play a very solid NHL game. We have seen them all play there best they have to offer.

DP can be very good when healthy. However will he ever be healthy and be able to perform as a Number one Goalie in the NHL.

Nabby. The guy was a Monster over in the west. However that was a few years ago and he has not seen NHL Action in quite some time.
He is also no spring Chicken.

Al Montoya. Highly touted top draft pick a few years ago. the guy is only 26. We have seen what he can do when is at his best or close to it. The guy is to young in my book to call a bust. He very well can be a NHL level starter. We seem to be the only team that has given him the shot.

So we have 3 guys who can all be good maybe even great.
This is not a good or a bad problem.
However there are so many things that could go right or wrong here to really speculate who may be a clear cut starter.
Lets see how it goes this season.
Maybe all 3 of them play to there top level of play making someone trade bait. Maybe they all suck etc.
We could discuss what could happen all day here.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:26 AM
the sweetener

im probably in the minority here but i think montoya will be the goalie that gets traded if/when the islanders trade 1. if snow is serious about getting the team into the playoffs based on past performance nabby is your guy.

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:31 AM
John TavArt Ross

I will be fuming if they trade Nabby for the sake of trading him. At this stage of the Islander's team, draft picks won't do it anymore. They need and want to start competing now. If there's a #1 goalie going one way, there better be some talent coming back this way.

John TavArt Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spasm37 View Post
I will be fuming if they trade Nabby for the sake of trading him. At this stage of the Islander's team, draft picks won't do it anymore. They need and want to start competing now. If there's a #1 goalie going one way, there better be some talent coming back this way.
Oh i cant agree with you more. At this point any trade that we make should really only include some REAL NHL talent. No more draft picks.

Old
10-04-2011, 08:53 AM
stranger34

My solution

Open competition for the first 9 games of the season

They each get 3 starts. 2 back to backs and 1 spot start

If Montoya is the worst one, he gets waived and hopefully makes it to BP

If Nabby is the worst one he gets traded

If DP is the worst one he gets waived and hopefully doesn't make it to BP

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
My solution

Open competition for the first 9 games of the season

They each get 3 starts. 2 back to backs and 1 spot start

If Montoya is the worst one, he gets waived and hopefully makes it to BP

If Nabby is the worst one he gets traded

If DP is the worst one he gets waived and hopefully doesn't make it to BP
that is not enough of a sampling.
how can you decide the anyone future with your club based on 3 games.
This has to be one of the worst ideas i have ever heard. I am glad you are not our gm.

Old
10-04-2011, 09:40 AM
seabass45

Am I the only one who thinks Nabby may have lost it? He didn't show me much and he was very shaky around the net. I'm perfectly content to go in with DP and Montoya. If one fails, then go with Poulin. It's not as bad a situation as it's being hyped up to be, but it'll get messy if we run with three goaltenders again.

It's doubtful that we pick up much value from a Nabokov trade. We traded Roli for an underachieving former 1st rounder and Roli was the best value goaltender available when we traded him. Not sure what teams are desperate for goaltending, and I'd imagine they'd rather press for Schneider than Nabokov for one year.

seabass45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:53 AM
Renbarg

3 goalies is a problem... I think monotya still has ebough potential to warrant keeping him. Nabby looked shaky in the preseason, I would just dump him to the highest bidder to avoid a 3 goalie problem.

Renbarg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmanatee View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Nabby may have lost it? He didn't show me much and he was very shaky around the net. I'm perfectly content to go in with DP and Montoya. If one fails, then go with Poulin. It's not as bad a situation as it's being hyped up to be, but it'll get messy if we run with three goaltenders again.

It's doubtful that we pick up much value from a Nabokov trade. We traded Roli for an underachieving former 1st rounder and Roli was the best value goaltender available when we traded him. Not sure what teams are desperate for goaltending, and I'd imagine they'd rather press for Schneider than Nabokov for one year.
I do not think anyone here thinks nabby is the same goalie he used to be. so i HIGHLY doubt you are alone there.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:39 AM
JetsMetsIsles

DP and Nabakov should split time up here. Poulin and Montoya should split time in Bridgeport until the inevitable injury to DP and then bring Montoya up.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 02:02 PM
OlTimeHockey

Easy solution: Play them all and then play the two best with the third getting the odd start (DP). When Detroit gets their fill of Howard (overrated) and Conklin not getting it done, make an offer for Jonathan Ericsson, which might mean we include more.

Also.....Chicago has Ray Emery just signed. If Crawford gets hurt, they might be in play.

You do not send Montoya to Bridgeport. He will get claimed. DP will not, and DP is not nearly the goalie Montoya is now.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 03:15 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

one of them should volunteer to be the top 4 defenseman we need.

problem. solved.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:12 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
one of them should volunteer to be the top 4 defenseman we need.

problem. solved.
Zing. Then garth could say i told you we were getting a top flight Defender