HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Kyle turris?

Old
10-03-2011, 12:35 PM
maplepred

vCash: 500
Kyle turris?

Just a random thought here,

Kyle turris is likely to be traded from coyotes, can't get a deal done. I heard he wants roughly 3 million a year and we definitely have the room for that kind of salary. Plus the kid is only 22 years old and shows a lot of promise!
I think he would be a great fit on our team and could end up being a big PPG centre we need! Plus if we want fisher as first line centre I have heard turris can play wing as well.

What would it take to get him?? What would Phoenix want from us?

maplepred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 12:59 PM
RaiderDoug

the kid wants 3 million, but his best season is 65 GP, 11 goals and 25 points. Colin Wilson looks like the next Crosby when compared to this guy.

Plus, we will probably have to give up major assets to get him.

I know he's got major potential, but No thank you.

RaiderDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:10 PM
maplepred

Well if Phoenix can't sign him and is in a position that they have to trade him, they will not get his full value in a trade. Does Phoenix has much depth at young bluechip defenseman? Because we could certainly work a deal around that!
And I think he has just as much if not more potential than Colin Wilson. Plus he is a bc boy and I bet that would make weber happy!

I'm sure a change of scenery from Phoenix he would sign for 2.5 million here and to me that's well worth it. He averages a point every other game at such a young age, if you look at other conparables 2.5 million is not terrible at all

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderDoug View Post
the kid wants 3 million, but his best season is 65 GP, 11 goals and 25 points. Colin Wilson looks like the next Crosby when compared to this guy.

Plus, we will probably have to give up major assets to get him.

I know he's got major potential, but No thank you.

Old
10-03-2011, 03:26 PM
maplepred

I would throw a lot more at Phoenix in a trade for turris than I would to Philly for hartnell, and people were talking about giving crazy stuff away for hartnell,

Old
10-03-2011, 03:26 PM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplepred View Post
Well if Phoenix can't sign him and is in a position that they have to trade him, they will not get his full value in a trade. Does Phoenix has much depth at young bluechip defenseman? Because we could certainly work a deal around that!
And I think he has just as much if not more potential than Colin Wilson. Plus he is a bc boy and I bet that would make weber happy!

I'm sure a change of scenery from Phoenix he would sign for 2.5 million here and to me that's well worth it. He averages a point every other game at such a young age, if you look at other conparables 2.5 million is not terrible at all
He'll suddenly be willing to drop his demands by $500k if he comes to Nashville? Doubtful, but ok.

He averaged .38 points per game last season ... so $2.5mil for Ward-like regular season numbers. Turris has a lot of unrealized potential and his contract demands so far don't correspond with his accomplishments.

101st_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:40 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 101st_fan View Post
He'll suddenly be willing to drop his demands by $500k if he comes to Nashville? Doubtful, but ok.

He averaged .38 points per game last season ... so $2.5mil for Ward-like regular season numbers. Turris has a lot of unrealized potential and his contract demands so far don't correspond with his accomplishments.
this is the problem with the Panthers throwing out retarded $ amounts this summer on their UFA's ... the RFA prices try to compare stats to their players ... just dumb, kid needs to get his **** together

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 04:08 PM
maplepred

Well I just think if we could sign turris to say like a 3-4 year deal at 2.5 mill per season that would be awesome!
1. He is locked in and when he starts tearing the league up we have him for a few more years at a small cap hit

2 even if he only ends up being a 50 point player, that's still one of our best forwards at a small cap hit, plus he plays a good all round game

3 he has a ton more potential than hartnell offensively which is what we need, makes a lot less even if he signs for 3 million,

4. Who else is really available out there to address our need of a top forward?? Other than turris there is not much else available

5 as I mentioned before, weber would probably be thrilled if we got a scoring forward, especially from BC

Old
10-03-2011, 04:55 PM
deanwormer

Quote:
4. Who else is really available out there to address our need of a top forward?? Other than turris there is not much else available
*IF* we have a need for a top forward it's for a top 3 guy

Even if we all like this guy as much as you, whom is he actually an improvement over in our current top 6:

Fisher, Legwand, SK, Erat? clearly not
Wilson? at best you might argue even
Horny? I'd argue Horny would be better on a third line but to argue KT is an upgrade would be ridiculous.

So now he's a 3rd line guy for $2.5mil? OK - that's Orly, Bergfors, and Smith/Bam-Bam? He's an upgrade of how significantly over whom? Cause all these guys make a whole lot less than $2.5. So, not arguing he's not - just saying if we're gonna' lock that in, it's compared to this group, so how much better is he that we commit the dollars and roster spot and send one of these guys down.

deanwormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 05:19 PM
maplepred

I think for this coming season turris has more offensive upside than any player on our roster outside of erat, sk74, and horny. And he would make less money than all of them

It's just a thought, we do need to make a move and maybe turris is that guy and maybe he isn't.

But guys like erat, legwand, fisher, are all around age 30, and will nit get any better than they currently are. Whereas turris could tear it up for years to come!

Are you saying Wilson has 'more' potential than turris?? How can that be?? Neither has proved much at all. Turris was a higher pick in draft before wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwormer View Post
*IF* we have a need for a top forward it's for a top 3 guy

Even if we all like this guy as much as you, whom is he actually an improvement over in our current top 6:

Fisher, Legwand, SK, Erat? clearly not
Wilson? at best you might argue even
Horny? I'd argue Horny would be better on a third line but to argue KT is an upgrade would be ridiculous.

So now he's a 3rd line guy for $2.5mil? OK - that's Orly, Bergfors, and Smith/Bam-Bam? He's an upgrade of how significantly over whom? Cause all these guys make a whole lot less than $2.5. So, not arguing he's not - just saying if we're gonna' lock that in, it's compared to this group, so how much better is he that we commit the dollars and roster spot and send one of these guys down.

Old
10-03-2011, 09:46 PM
maplepred

Basically what my thoughts on this are that Turris could be the best offensive weapon available. This guy 'could' have a HUGE season, who knows.

But if we need an offensive threat, turris is our best option. And fast the he is from same province as shea weber doesn't hurt

I just can't see any better offensive players available for months, so unless Poile is willing to wait....

Old
10-04-2011, 03:36 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Basically what my thoughts on this are that Turris could be the best offensive weapon available. This guy 'could' have a HUGE season, who knows.

But if we need an offensive threat, turris is our best option. And fast the he is from same province as shea weber doesn't hurt

I just can't see any better offensive players available for months, so unless Poile is willing to wait....
Is he really more of an offensive threat or a better option than Craig Smith or Colin Wilson?

Old
10-04-2011, 07:04 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
Is he really more of an offensive threat or a better option than Craig Smith or Colin Wilson?
I wouldn't say "really more" but I think Turris' ceiling is greater than either of those guys. Not suggesting we get him, but he COULD certainly bring a certain dynamic that we maybe missing at forward. In my eyes he is a much more offensive threat than wilson is simply based on his skill set. Come to think of it, he maybe a great linemate for wilson.

One knock on turris' game would be his defensive play, but if he buys into the trotz way of life he maybe able to put up 40-50 points this year.

IMHO, he is a very very very very big upgrade to O'Reilly. I think Nashville should explore the possibility of trading O'Reilly + for Turris. PHX will want a center in return and I think O'Reilly could be the odd man out once fisher is healthy. Once fisher returns, but Turris on wing and see what happens. I think the results could be really promising.

Roman Yoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

I had a thought while in the shower. IF we added turris the lines would probably look like this

SK Fish Erat
Wilson Leggy Berg
Spaling Smithson Tootoo
Horny Turris Smith

That line up is damn scary if you ask me.

Old
10-04-2011, 07:54 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetimo View Post
I wouldn't say "really more" but I think Turris' ceiling is greater than either of those guys. Not suggesting we get him, but he COULD certainly bring a certain dynamic that we maybe missing at forward. In my eyes he is a much more offensive threat than wilson is simply based on his skill set. Come to think of it, he maybe a great linemate for wilson.

One knock on turris' game would be his defensive play, but if he buys into the trotz way of life he maybe able to put up 40-50 points this year.

IMHO, he is a very very very very big upgrade to O'Reilly. I think Nashville should explore the possibility of trading O'Reilly + for Turris. PHX will want a center in return and I think O'Reilly could be the odd man out once fisher is healthy. Once fisher returns, but Turris on wing and see what happens. I think the results could be really promising.
So O'Reilly + to bring in an unsigned RFA who has yet to prove anything at the NHL level? At a $3mil rumored pricetag? Turris puts up Haydar like AHL numbers, but has lingered down closer to Fiddler like numbers at the NHL. He didn't stand out to me when I watched the Rampage play in 09-10 and his play with the Yotes hasn't made the case for $3mil per season. Unless he's willing to come way back from that desired salary, I'd pass.

Old
10-04-2011, 08:07 AM
predfan98

we don't need to trade for a third of fourth line player.... in fact , if smith keeps going, i wonder if OReilly is redundant.

pass.

predfan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:21 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

A comparison of O'Reilly and Turris
O'Reilly, 25yrs old, 80 NHL games played, 11g, 23a
Turris, 22yrs old, 131 NHL games played, 19g, 27a

Old
10-04-2011, 08:21 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
So O'Reilly + to bring in an unsigned RFA who has yet to prove anything at the NHL level? At a $3mil rumored pricetag? Turris puts up Haydar like AHL numbers, but has lingered down closer to Fiddler like numbers at the NHL. He didn't stand out to me when I watched the Rampage play in 09-10 and his play with the Yotes hasn't made the case for $3mil per season. Unless he's willing to come way back from that desired salary, I'd pass.
Again, rumored price tag. In reality, I think he just wants out of PHX. Again, you have to view this as a potential move. I think it could really help us in the long run. I turly believe that once you get him out of PHX, his contract demands will be much less. You have to look at player potential ceiling though. I think O'Reilly has pretty much reached his mark while Turris is still growing. Turris is essentially Wilson's age. If Wilson is still growing and if we are willing to give him more time, why aren't we willing to take on Turris and do the same thing?

Seriously, for all the talk about finding the right piece, Turris is probably as close as we are going to get to a forward prospect with true elite potential. I would give him a $2.5 million offer for one year and see what happens. If he doesn't work out, I am sure we can move him. If it costs anything more than 2.5 then I would most def pass. I don't think it is about the money with Turris, I think he just wants out of PHX.

Again, this is my opinion and I am entitled to it. From what I saw of Turris in college he was absolutely amazing. The coyotes will be looking to move him so the price to obtain him will be lower because teams know he will be moved. Obviously I would want a sign and trade deal. That would be the only way I would want Turris.

Last edited by Roman Yoshi: 10-04-2011 at 08:31 AM.
Old
10-04-2011, 08:28 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
Again, rumored price tag. In reality, I think he just wants out of PHX. Again, you have to view this as a potential move. I think it could really help us in the long run. I turly believe that once you get him out of PHX, his contract demands will be much less.
It's a dangerous tactic to make such a trade hoping that his contract demands suddenly drop. Couple that risk with the fact he's proven absolutely nothing at the NHL level and I pass.

Old
10-04-2011, 08:31 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
It's a dangerous tactic to make such a trade hoping that his contract demands suddenly drop. Couple that risk with the fact he's proven absolutely nothing at the NHL level and I pass.
you didn't read the last part of my post.

Old
10-04-2011, 08:49 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

Quote:
You drastically edited while I was posting.

He hasn't earned a big payday based on his NHL performance. Yes, he has a ton of potential ... but he's failed to reach it. His numbers lag behind both O'Reilly's and Wilson's at the NHL level. He put up 3 more goals than Spaling .... while getting almost a minute and a half of PP TOI per game . Legwand's first two NHL seasons were better than Turris. Bergfors has done more as a NHLer.

That said, if Turris accepts that he still needs to earn a payday and is willing to take a much lower contract number for a shorter term to prove himself then he's worth the risk. If he wants $2-3mil per season ..... nope.

Old
10-04-2011, 08:58 AM
Legionnaire11

I think Turris is about to put it together. Will he become a PPG player? probably not, but he really does have huge potential to be a 30-30 guy.

Legionnaire11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:04 AM
Roman Yoshi
Ellis too short

Quote:
You drastically edited while I was posting.

He hasn't earned a big payday based on his NHL performance. Yes, he has a ton of potential ... but he's failed to reach it. His numbers lag behind both O'Reilly's and Wilson's at the NHL level. He put up 3 more goals than Spaling .... while getting almost a minute and a half of PP TOI per game . Legwand's first two NHL seasons were better than Turris. Bergfors has done more as a NHLer.

That said, if Turris accepts that he still needs to earn a payday and is willing to take a much lower contract number for a shorter term to prove himself then he's worth the risk. If he wants $2-3mil per season ..... nope.
I really do believe Turris is primed for a break out year once he escapes PHX. Over the years we have been told that he have to wait for the right piece to come along. I believe turris is that missing piece due to his high potential. IMO his contract demands will drop drastically once traded. If the preds can negotiate a trade for turris with a sign and trade, I think they should absolutely do it. Turris is a blue chip forward prospect, something we have been missing since Radulov (excluding wilson). If we can get him for 1M-2M we should do it even if it is for one year. I am pretty sure turris would be an RFA after a one year deal as well. Very little risk here.

I would much rather have turris than hartnell.

Old
10-04-2011, 09:21 AM
101st_fan
I taught Yoda

I wouldn't go more than $1.5mil on a short term two-way deal for him. We've all seen the players who were primed to break out at the NHL level and simply didn't and for all of his potential he still hasn't cracked the code to perform in the big league.

Show what you can do then get paid.

Old
10-04-2011, 09:28 AM
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese

vCash: 50
Quote:
the last thing this team needs is a kid with this kind of ego/attitude peoblem. 22 year olds with his stats dont make contract demands, they play and prove they deserve more money.

unless they give him to us for futures or a very low pick, and he signs a one year two way deal, pass.

PredsV82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:57 AM
maplepred

So you guys would rather have hartnell at $4 million and zero offensive upside?

Turris is ready to tear it up! Sure he puts up Haydar like numbers, but turris was drafted 3rd overall for a reason, because he's an offensive weapon! Haydar didn't have the intangibles turris does and was a 9th round pick long shot to make NHL

The only player the predators have ever drafted higher than turris is legwand. Sure he didn't live up to the hype but is still a bomb player making tons more than turris wants! And turris still has HUGE upside!

For you guys to say you wouldn't want turris on our team is absolutely ludicrous!!
Kid has tons of potential and at age 22 I think he is about ready to turn it on big time with a change if scenery and two years experience under his belt!

Turris will put up better numbers than 3/4 of our forwards, easily this season

If we can get him at 3-4 years at 2.5 per. Do it Poile!!

And one more time, he is from same province as mr.weber!

Also look at turris playoff stats from last year he had 3 points (2 goals) in 4 games. Imagine he got to play second round with a better team like us! He's the guy we need IMO