HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TEAM990: McKenzie say most likely no suspension for Malone (official: no suspension)

Old
10-03-2011, 11:36 PM
sda

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
Wow.... don't know where to start.

First, Shanny said it was a difficult decision. I don't agree but I can live with it. It seems like he's sending a message with this one that players need to be more responsible for putting themselves in a vulnerable position.... ok... next. We're entitled to be pissed just like TO for the Grabo hit. Add to that the fact that Malone was running around....

Now for your love affair with Bettman.... Please find a room. Bettman has been bad, yes bad, for the game of hockey. He's been good for the business of hockey ( sort of ) but bad for the game.

This is the man who let hockey leave Winnipeg with some of the most rabid fans in the game, but dug his heels in for Phx.... ya he's a great leader.

He allows GM's of teams to have a say in supplementary discipline for players during the year (Burke was consulted on several decisions by Campbell last year)... ya he's a great leader.

He allowed personal feelings for Jim B to keep him out the league... like RIM wouldn't be a good partner... ya he's a great leader.

For the record a great leader would have addressed the head shot years ago when it became evident that the stars of the game were being lost to this injury. Instead he let our game denigrate into a glorified WWE where refereeing is baffling.

How many stars of the game have had concussion. Too many. Yes, hockey is a violent game but there are rules in place to PROTECT players. Unfortunately these rules rarely protect players and in fact hurt them by not calling them.

Not whining about the ruling, to me it was borderline, but I will ask you to consider though, that why should the benefit of doubt be given to the offending party not the offended? Not expecting the NHL to be perfect, but if you've ever played any sport to any level of proficiency you know that you have a great degree of control of your environment. Players know where they are on the ice and can let up in an instant. You see it every game.

Did Campoli put himself at risk, yes, ultimately this is why no suspension. Shanny could have just as easily suspended him for a game or so... I think he chose this route to send a message to players that they are responsible for their own safety too. It sucks as a habs fan because, yes, we want blood after some of the rulings last year.

When Malone hits someone else in the head, and make no mistake, he will, I hope then this hit is considered in the ruling that suspends him for multiple games.

You may be the nAive one.
what decisions did Burke get consulted on. I had never heard this and it would be bizarre to have a gm do this

sda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:50 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Bull.

Malone went straight at Campolli's head.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:17 AM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by sda View Post
what decisions did Burke get consulted on. I had never heard this and it would be bizarre to have a gm do this
Heard it a couple times in the off-season that Campbell and Murphy talked to Burke Came out of Burke's mouth on a TSN interview I think. Here's a link I found.

You can bet that if it happened once, it happened many times.

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2...me-suspension/

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 02:02 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfaninvictoria View Post
For the record a great leader would have addressed the head shot years ago when it became evident that the stars of the game were being lost to this injury. Instead he let our game denigrate into a glorified WWE where refereeing is baffling.

How many stars of the game have had concussion. Too many. Yes, hockey is a violent game but there are rules in place to PROTECT players. Unfortunately these rules rarely protect players and in fact hurt them by not calling them.

Not whining about the ruling, to me it was borderline, but I will ask you to consider though, that why should the benefit of doubt be given to the offending party not the offended? Not expecting the NHL to be perfect, but if you've ever played any sport to any level of proficiency you know that you have a great degree of control of your environment. Players know where they are on the ice and can let up in an instant. You see it every game.

Did Campoli put himself at risk, yes, ultimately this is why no suspension. Shanny could have just as easily suspended him for a game or so... I think he chose this route to send a message to players that they are responsible for their own safety too. It sucks as a habs fan because, yes, we want blood after some of the rulings last year.

When Malone hits someone else in the head, and make no mistake, he will, I hope then this hit is considered in the ruling that suspends him for multiple games.

You may be the nAive one.
Doesnt need to, he just has to pretend he cares... afterall, even the fans accept any excuses given for not punishing a player for headshots... and your post is a perfect example of it.

Sure he will, he just received a message from Shanahan saying it's allright to headshot opponents...

ECWHSWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 02:54 AM
Habbadasher

Am watching CTV Vancouver, he NHL preseason, and they showed the and they had a piece about head shots in the Malone/Campoli hit as an example.

Habbadasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 04:58 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyF3ind View Post
No surprise here. Head shots are not permitted in the NHL unless directed at habs players. You could probably kill a habs player with a head shot and not get suspended.
Don't perpetuate the notion that Habs fans are crybabies. The ruling is done and we have to accept it.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 05:29 AM
Hans Moleman
Was saying Boortuzzi

I am a neutral party who has watched the play many times, and knows the context in which Malone played during the game, and the context in which Shanahan has layed out his suspensions. This is complete and utter ********.

Hans Moleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nashy View Post
Unfortunately, that is wishful thinking. Best you can hope for is someone waving at Stamkos or St. Louis.

The only deterrent that the Habs can possibly provide is a top ranked PP, because there is absolutely no one on the roster who can take care of business.
We should send the zamboni after Malone. I know it's kind of slow, but if we paint a player in a vulnerable position in front of it, maybe he'll charge at it?

Gabe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:13 AM
icerocket

Only way someone who hurts a Hab gets suspended is if he kills him.

Sick of these McFranchises taking shots at the Habs. Habs literally helped build this league and the league spits in their faces.

icerocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:19 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Moleman View Post
I am a neutral party who has watched the play many times, and knows the context in which Malone played during the game, and the context in which Shanahan has layed out his suspensions. This is complete and utter ********.
I agree with this assessment and not because i am a Habs fan, but because of the way Malone undertook this game, he was head hunting the entire game.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:20 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Moleman View Post
We're used to it. One of our players nearly damn well got killed and was taken off on a stretcher, with context to back it up as well. (i.e. Chara hunting for him)

No suspension. Do I really expect more out of a league governed by Gary Bettman? He'd probably rig it so an American team would win against a Canadian "for the good of hockey"... I'm not actually serious but it just pisses me off how we always get the short end of the stick. Not like Malone being suspended would've directly affected us anyways but it would have been nice to see some consistency from the league.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icerocket View Post
Only way someone who hurts a Hab gets suspended is if he kills him.

Sick of these McFranchises taking shots at the Habs. Habs literally helped build this league and the league spits in their faces.
I wonder if it's a coincidence or some kind of reverse discrimination where the league is concerned too much with giving us any favorable bias that they spit in our faces?

I just find it quite odd that the hit that sparked this controversy was a habs player and then the one time a blatant hit to the head happens again against a habs player nothing happens. It's like the league is pissed off we spoke out about the head shots and made it a big deal. When people are nearly killed in the rink it isn't just hockey anymore we're talking about somebodies life not just a game.

Last edited by Crimson Skorpion: 10-04-2011 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Merged
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:30 AM
llamateizer

Yzerman --- Shanahan --- Conspiracy

Campoli is not injured, so its all good.

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:06 AM
TheDamned
"Only in Montréal"

Watch Tampa Bay win the cup :-)

TheDamned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:08 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Campoli is on FAN590 today at 5:40 pm

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:52 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Not sure if it's the same in other sports, but isn't it weird that the guy deciding which players gets suspended or not, is good friends with a lot of GMs and players? Is there a better example of a conflict of interest?..

I'm not saying there's a conspiracy going on, I'm really not into that BS. I just found that there was a huge conflict of interest when the head of the disciplinary committee had a son playing in the NHL. I see no difference in what we have now. Maybe a lighter degree of a conflict, but there's one nonetheless.

Should be an independent committee, with very detailed ruling of suspensions. No subjectivity. As simple as getting a 2min for tripping, accidental or not.
You hit to the head, 5 games. You do it again, 15 games. A third time, 25 games. Fourth time, 50games, etc..
Also, your suspensions stay on record for 2years (or three). If you hit someone to the head once in 11-12, and then again in 12-13, then that counts as your 2nd offense.
You give the committee the minimum of subjectivity. The only thing they have to decide on is whether or not the culprit deserves more than a 5 game suspension. Considering the 5 game suspension would be the minimum, applying to guys that accidentally do head shots (we've seen guys like Jones get 3games for accidentally running Bergeron's head into the boards, so 5 games isn't too far off), then the ones that seem premeditated should start with a harsher suspension, say 8-10games right off the bat. At least that would ensure guys like Malone, Ference, Richards, Chara don't get away with head shots, and at least, would have to serve a 5 game suspension with a possible 15game were they to commit a similar act within the following year.
The organization should also pay fines.

Obviously, this type of disciplinary measure is extreme, but I believe we are at that point. When you have a head shot pretty much every day, then you are at an extreme point. Things need to change. Unless the NHL decides to bring the red line back, no touch icing, and change the equipment back to simple softer padding, then head shots will keep increasing.

Last edited by hototogisu: 10-05-2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: qdp
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:20 AM
ElRossoMatt

Hi guys, i come in peace. Just wanted to say what others said before.That Shanahan's decision to not suspend Malone is pure garbage. He clearly had no intention to play the puck (it's almost funny how he doesn't even notices the puck) and it's obvious that he wanted to hurt Campoli.

I have been very vocal on your board when Chara got away with that disgusting hit on Pacioretty and now to see this happen..i'm starting to believe that these idiots have a problem with your team.

If this kind of ******** occurs again, i will most definitely support any action of protest that you guys initiate. Cheers

ElRossoMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 05:11 PM
habfaninvictoria

One thing I'd like to see added to the rule change is when the offending player engages an opponent who is already battling with a player on the offending players team, it's an automatic penalty. Boston excels at this BTW.

Malone identifies him early and commits to the hit... fine, but he already has a teammate taking Campoli. This actually frees up the puck, so Malones teammate did his job. Clear intent to injure, Campoli is vulnerable. Malone should be looking for the puck in that spot.

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:26 AM
swimmer77
Post Oates

I don't see how you can deny that Campoli changed his position. It was unfortunate and I still believe Malone deserved a couple of games at most.

I'm "hoping" (the word of the day) that Campoli learns from this experience. He didn't look strong on the puck and actually lost it from a weak check. I hope he's more aware the next time around otherwise he may be on the receiving end again and / or a puck will be behind the Habs' goaltender.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote