HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers trying to get rid of Avery

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2011, 08:26 AM
pld459666

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I wonder how much cap hit is going to factor here? Specifically thinking down the road, like trade deadline. If the Rangers are in a good position at the deadline and someone significant becomes available they will probably need some cap room for that said person to fit in and stay under the cap ceiling. So, how will that factor in the clubs decision? To me, Avery is the better overall player however is he double the player that Eric Christensen is like his cap hit suggests? No way.

Maybe the decision is going to be who gets you more bang for the buck?
The trade deadline isssue is remedied by waiving Avery when the time comes to make that decision.

Old
10-04-2011, 08:33 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
The trade deadline isssue is remedied by waiving Avery when the time comes to make that decision.
See but that's not true. Saving his daily cap hit will add up every day he is not on the roster. This is why the Rangers had to roll over bonuses this season, Todd White was paid to sit in the press-box and his salary screwed the Rangers.

Old
10-04-2011, 08:51 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
I wonder how much cap hit is going to factor here? Specifically thinking down the road, like trade deadline. If the Rangers are in a good position at the deadline and someone significant becomes available they will probably need some cap room for that said person to fit in and stay under the cap ceiling. So, how will that factor in the clubs decision? To me, Avery is the better overall player however is he double the player that Eric Christensen is like his cap hit suggests? No way.

Maybe the decision is going to be who gets you more bang for the buck?
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
See but that's not true. Saving his daily cap hit will add up every day he is not on the roster. This is why the Rangers had to roll over bonuses this season, Todd White was paid to sit in the press-box and his salary screwed the Rangers.
This (and the fact that Christensen is more versatile in the number of positions he can play) is why I voted for Christensen, despite the fact that I readily acknowledge that Sean has been the better player this preseason.

I think that a lot of people don't get how the salary cap works in the NHL. Under the NHL system, you get X dollars to spend for the whole year; it's NOT what the annual cap hit of your players adds up to at any one time. So, for example, using simple math: if the cap were $100 and you start the season with a roster that only costs $90, at the halfway point of the season you would have paid all your players $45 ($90/2) and would have $55 left to spend. Since your players will only be due $45 for the rest of the year, you could then acquire a superstar player with a salary of $20 since he would only have $10 left due to him for the rest of the year. You could not have acquired this player at the beginning of the year, because your cap number would have been $90 + $20 = $110. But, because you banked cap space for the first half, you gain a lot of flexibility for the second half.

This is why I think the situation is a lot more complicated than people make it out to be - as I said before, remember that the position they're fighting over is NOT 3rd line winger - Zuccarello has already won that battle. They're fighting for a spot that is not intended to see any game minutes; they're fighting over 13th forward who is intended to sit in the press box for the majority of the season. Salary cap implications play a huge role.

Last edited by BrooklynRangersFan: 10-04-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old
10-04-2011, 09:02 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
sean's problem is simple

he doesnt play consistantly well enough to justify a roster spot when he's not getting under other teams skin

If you want to get into specifics, he doesnt have the puck handeling or passing ability to consistantly play the type of game he tries to play in the offensive zone. This makes him largely ineffective as he's prone to costly turnovers. We've seen it countless times...he secures the puck down low, fights hard behind the net, makes a good move or two, but ultimately turns the puck over before they can finish the job.

This isn't to say he can never be effective but, over a large enouch sample size, his lack of abilities catch up to him.

If he makes this team, he should be a 4th liner who gets plugged into anyline that needs a spark. He's good for one or two explosive games at a time, but your just not going to get consistant success over the long term
Agree with your analysis.

Old
10-04-2011, 09:06 AM
nyrleetch

The only thing Christensen is versatile in is being invisible from different positions.

Old
10-04-2011, 09:10 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Todd White had a $1.1M cap hit last season for the 3 months he was on the Rangers. He is essentially why the Rangers are taking a $527K cap penalty this season. The Rangers should chuck both Avery and Christensen off the team and call up the Hartford guys(Mitchell,Weise,etc)when they need a 13th forward rather than have Avery or Christensen just eat up daily cap space as healthy scratches.

Old
10-04-2011, 09:13 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
This (and the fact that Christensen is more versatile in the number of positions he can play) is why I voted for Christensen, despite the fact that I readily acknowledge that Sean has been the better player this preseason.

I think that a lot of people get how the salary cap works in the NHL. Under the NHL system, you get X dollars to spend for the whole year; it's NOT what the annual cap hit of your players adds up to at any one time. So, for example, using simple math: if the cap were $100 and you start the season with a roster that only costs $90, at the halfway point of the season you would have paid all your players $45 ($90/2) and would have $55 left to spend. Since your players will only be due $45 for the rest of the year, you could then acquire a superstar player with a salary of $20 since he would only have $10 left due to him for the rest of the year. You could not have acquired this player at the beginning of the year, because your cap number would have been $90 + $20 = $110. But, because you banked cap space for the first half, you gain a lot of flexibility for the second half.

This is why I think the situation is a lot more complicated than people make it out to be - as I said before, remember that the position they're fighting over is NOT 3rd line winger - Zuccarello has already won that battle. They're fighting for a spot that is not intended to see any game minutes; they're fighting over 13th forward who is intended to sit in the press box for the majority of the season. Salary cap implications play a huge role.
Very well stated. It's nice to see someone other than me and RB bringing up the cap issues. Too many people seem to ignore or downplay that aspect.

Old
10-04-2011, 09:24 AM
Jabroni
The People's Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Todd White had a $1.1M cap hit last season for the 3 months he was on the Rangers. He is essentially why the Rangers are taking a $527K cap penalty this season. The Rangers should chuck both Avery and Christensen off the team and call up the Hartford guys(Mitchell,Weise,etc)when they need a 13th forward rather than have Avery or Christensen just eat up daily cap space as healthy scratches.
If the Rangers do that, which I wouldn't be opposed to, what would be saved against the cap?

Old
10-04-2011, 09:32 AM
NickyFotiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
I thought Mitchell played well in camp so that is very interesting idea. I wonder if Torts/Slats have even considered that idea.

Old
10-04-2011, 09:53 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
I thought Mitchell played well in camp so that is very interesting idea. I wonder if Torts/Slats have even considered that idea.
That is why many of us have been saying dump both and keep Weise/Mitchell.

Old
10-04-2011, 09:55 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
If the Rangers do that, which I wouldn't be opposed to, what would be saved against the cap?
The difference in their salaries are:

Avery - 1.9
Christensen - .9

Weise - .6
Mitchell - .65

Dumping both and adding one of the lower players saves the Rangers about 2.1-2.2 million on the cap. That will only add up as the season moves along.

Old
10-04-2011, 09:55 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
Very well stated. It's nice to see someone other than me and RB bringing up the cap issues. Too many people seem to ignore or downplay that aspect.
Thanks. Unfortunately, I think a lot of fans simply don't care - there's a lot of when it comes to Sean.

He's a favorite for his antics and they want him on the team regardless of whether it's rational or not. If it were anyone else, they'd be up in arms saying "why are we burning near $2MM on a guy who sits in the press box? Get that bum outta here!" (Think about that, if we keep Avery, we'll be paying him more than Anisimov, MZA, Boyle, Brian, Rupp, Fedotenko, Stepan, Derek, Prust, McDonagh, Sauer and MDZ to sit in the press box! Mind boggling.) But because he's Sean and he's "TUFF" and waived his stick in front of Marty several years ago, they overlook all the reasons he shouldn't be on the team.

Having said that, I do think there's a chance he still makes it over EC. If so, it'll be for locker room and accountability issues which are points that also can't be ignored when it comes to team composition.

Old
10-04-2011, 09:56 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jabroni1994 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyFotiu View Post
Quote:
That is why many of us have been saying dump both and keep Weise/Mitchell.
Quote:
The difference in their salaries are:

Avery - 1.9
Christensen - .9

Weise - .6
Mitchell - .65

Dumping both and adding one of the lower players saves the Rangers about 2.1-2.2 million on the cap. That will only add up as the season moves along.
I'd certainly have no problem with that, either.

Old
10-04-2011, 11:35 AM
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
What insight does Bob McKenzie have to our team that our beat writers don't? He's basing it on the fact that Avery has been scratched the last two games and is competing for the extra forward spot.

I'm not sure that assuming a player who is in a camp battle to be the extra forward might not actually finish the season with their team is that revealing a statement...do you?
See Avery being placed on waivers by the Rangers. Maybe waiting for the Rangers vaunted beat writers isn't always the best plan of action

Old
10-04-2011, 11:53 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

when mitchell was skating he looked good, but he coasted FAR too often for my liking. i hate lazy players, and he looked like a lazy player.

Old
10-04-2011, 02:23 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Maybe TVA Sports knew something after all.

And perhaps there is more to building a team than a player's on-ice performance. If there wasn't, the Rangers wouldn't be insisting on a particular type of personality/character these days, right?

Closed Thread