HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Avery waived (10/5: Clears waivers)

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2011, 10:31 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
For the record, I am OK with this. A bit disappointed to see him off the team (and the hate for him around the league is laughable for a guy who has never been a dirty player). But he did not have a great pre-season and his cap hit will be better spent elsewhere.

Old
pwoz

Any decent UFA d-man available?

Old
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Brooks is a complete moron. They kept him around to give him a chance to showcase himself and find a spot on another team. This fool has no idea how stuff like this works.
I would have to believe if that is the case then it was Christensen. If they were showcasing Avery wouldn't he have played the last two games?

Old
10-04-2011, 10:32 AM
pld459666

Torts just proved that he is full of ****.

Old
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Avery's cap hit vs Christensen's cap hit is not the reason. We've known since August that they weren't going to carry 14 forwards. With Christensen on the roster, we have 2,177,166 in space. With Avery on the roster we have 1,164,666. It's not enough of a difference to make a roster decision based on the difference between their two salaries unless they plan on making another move. One of these two guys was gone as soon as MZA had a good camp.

As for whether or not Avery deserved the spot over Christensen, I think it's more of a matter of team need than who outplayed who. Tortorella must not be worried about team grit at forward with Prust, Rupp, Boyle, Dubinsky and Callahan all on the roster. But he must be worried about skill. Tell me, if you were playing a team that you don't see as tough, who would be a better player to play over Prust or Rupp... Avery or Christensen? Keeping Christensen on the roster means more versatility in choosing who you'll be dressing against a particular opponent.

Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Yep, has to be due to financial issues as much as anything else. Still, I'm surprised they didn't just waive him from the start. Why let the guy play through camp only if you had intended to waive him from the start? Clearly the guy outplayed Christensen, so what's the deal?

I'll be really disappointed if Weise gets claimed. Talk about a waste.
It's called showcasing the guy. NFL teams do it all the time with UDFAs, older players, etc. You allow the guy to compete in pre-season to show the rest of the teams what he has. It's a courtesy. It's a classy move to hopefully let the guy stay in the league and get claimed.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:33 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwoz View Post
Any decent UFA d-man available?
Welcome back to NY, Mr. McCabe?

1 year, 1.5M deal? or something?

Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
I would have to believe if that is the case then it was Christensen. If they were showcasing Avery wouldn't he have played the last two games?
Because they already played him quite a bit. They now wanted to see what the rest of the team would do together. It's not rocket science. Larry Brooks should know better as a sports "journalist".

Old
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba5 View Post
Renney got this team respectable not Torts. Torts has missed the playoffs and not won a round when he has gotten to the playoffs, not very respectable to me
Nope. Torts is the reason we are a respectable team. He has changed Sather and changed the identity of this team to a hardworking group of young guys. If not for Torts, we'd have traded Anisimov for Richards. He has brought out the best in our players. Torts is an excellent coach, I love him. Right now I don't respect him, but I'll get over it and I still respect him as a coach. He has done wonders for this organization, starting with changing the man with the cigar.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:34 AM
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Welcome back to NY, Mr. McCabe?

1 year, 1.5M deal? or something?
Please no!

Old
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Yea but if they are both in the press box...?

If you already know no other team will take Avery at any price than your better off letting Christ play when called on to build up his value and maybe get something for him in trade
EC has had a couple of seasons to build his value...it isn't gonna happen, he's another in a long line of talented players with no fire in the belly...and before anyone attacks me for being an Avery lover this has nothing to do with Avery and everythng to do with 2 guys vying for a spot and the guy who performed better not getting it.

Old
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
It's called showcasing the guy. NFL teams do it all the time with UDFAs, older players, etc. You allow the guy to compete in pre-season to show the rest of the teams what he has. It's a courtesy. It's a classy move to hopefully let the guy stay in the league and get claimed.
Were the showcasing him in the team scrimmages? Or the pre-season games they kept him on the bench for? How do you showcase a guy in the press-box?

Edit: to your next response; they wanted to see what the rest of the team could do? So EC centering the 4th line is an important part of those calculations?

Old
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrizMint View Post
Maybe making a little more cap room for another defensemen? This regards Avery and Weise.
Excatly my thoughts. What the D showed in the pre-season was far from impressive and with Marc out for at least 2 games we need another D-Man to play solid in our own zone. But who´s on the market? Any ideas or names for me?

Girardi - Staal (injured atm)
McDonagh - Sauer
Bickel / Bell - Del Zotto

Old
h0ckeyman

Great move, this guy is only going to be a distraction. Did he play well in the preseason? Yes. Lets be real though guys, Avery is as inconsistent as they come, it was only a matter of time before he would just disappear again.

Also, EC is definitely JUST AS inconsistent as Avery. But at least he isn't a negative distraction!

Old
10-04-2011, 10:35 AM
beastly115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
hes talking about Weise...at least one would think.
Haha, I was.

Toronto would be the last place Avery would go. He and Phaneuf would spend their time off the ice slapping each other with their purses.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:35 AM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

3 goals, 76 games. This is the Sean Avery some of you are *****ing about losing.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:36 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

Quote:
Brooks is a complete moron. They kept him around to give him a chance to showcase himself and find a spot on another team. This fool has no idea how stuff like this works.
um he was the only guy who was a healthy scratch for the past 2 games. brooks is spot on

Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
Were the showcasing him in the team scrimmages? Or the pre-season games they kept him on the bench for? How do you showcase a guy in the press-box?
Showcase, keep around to try and trade, etc. It's clear that they didn't WANT to waive him. I mean, didn't Avery play in about half the games this pre-season? For a team that can't dress over 18 skaters, I think that's a solid amount of time to showcase one's self.

Old
bubba5

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Nope. Torts is the reason we are a respectable team. He has changed Sather and changed the identity of this team to a hardworking group of young guys. If not for Torts, we'd have traded Anisimov for Richards. He has brought out the best in our players. Torts is an excellent coach, I love him. Right now I don't respect him, but I'll get over it and I still respect him as a coach. He has done wonders for this organization, starting with changing the man with the cigar.
Not saying Torts is not a good coach, but the team has not won anything with him, in fact they went backward by not making the playoffs 2 seasons ago. Also, Slats is going to make moves based on what he thinks is best.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:38 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Sent: Oct 4, 2011 10:41a

Let's be honest....Decision re Avery was made before camp....don't understand why team brought him to Europe...

sent via web
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie/stat...33530746454018
Been saying this from the beginning. The best part will be the people like wolf and chosen who will still refuse to acknowledge any sort of bias or treatment from the coach. As if Avery had just as good a chance as anyone on this team. Zero ice time, benched every time anything happens, got to play with John Mitchell in preseason....The writing was on the wall and has been since Torts got here. He's wanted him gone and now he's got it. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with the fact that this organization believes it's ready to take that next step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Well what I'm getting at is that this is a business decision made by the General Manager, not the coach.... I know some will portray it as Tortorella waiving Avery but the reality is that this is a move by the GM.... It's not like Torts walks into Glen's office and says, "Well, EC made the team, place Sean on waivers...."
I think you're a little naive if you're implying the coach has no say in what his roster is going to be. If Avery was going to be such a hindrance if he were on the roster than what was the point of him ever being brought back this season? Why are we about to lose a 23 year old Weise on waivers when he could have been the one fighting for a spot with EC?

Sather still wanted Sean on this team and felt there was a place for him. Torts has been adamant about not wanting him here. He gave his boss the benefit of the doubt and let Avery try and impress him when he came to camp. None of that mattered though because long before this season ever started Torts knew he wasn't going to be on the team.

It's pretty obvious when you follow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheresBarnaby View Post
Really? The guy who's brought our team back to respectablility Is a joke?
No, Tom Renney is not a joke. You're right.

I like Torts but yeah, he's definitely a joke. The ultimate do as I say not as I do type of guy. He better hope he gets this team deep in the playoffs, and quick. Cause that act wears thin when the results don't follow.

Old
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
I think everyone was looking forward to it... and why? Because he does stupid stuff sometimes. It had to come up in the meetings.
Not because he does stupid stuff, mor ebecause he's honest, blunt and brutally truthful and I find that refreshing.

Old
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
um he was the only guy who was a healthy scratch for the past 2 games. brooks is spot on
Oh boy. 2 games! The horror!

Brooks is, as usual, stuck with his head up his ass. Spot on? How so? They brought Avery over as a courtesy to him. They let him play in the game in Sweden (don't remember the Slava game).

The writing was on the wall for him but I'm sure they were trying to trade him. Telling a guy to "stay home" does not help his trade value (if he ever had any, which it appears he did not). Bringing him along while staying quiet on his status is what any diligent team will do.

Again, Brooks is clueless and he has a clear vendetta against the Torts led Rangers.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Really, so, if a scoring forward, or veteran D-man is needed down the stretch, and the Rangers are in a position to improve their playoff aspirations at the trade deadline, you don't want the extra space that would taken up by the salary of the 13TH FORWARD??!! in order to add that player?
im not really sure how they could really improve this team outside of getting a true impact player.

those players teams usually get for their postseason runs...guys like Gagne for example, arent really much of an improvement over anything we have in house. i mean, who on our regular roster are we looking to upgrade...i can really only think of 1 spot on the entire roster, thats 1LW...everything beyond that we are locked up with young, talented players, or strong role players with low salary numbers.

if we had major injuries up front or on the back end, then this team is no longer a stanley cup competitor, so i WOULDNT want them to be making panic trades then anyway.

i just dont see depth need on this team. they are already incredibly deep...so deep that a guy like Sean Avery is about to be waived because they cant find a spot for him. Guys like Ryan Bourque and Carl Hagelin, who looked damn close to being NHL ready are waiting in the wings up front, and Valentenko, despite his poor showing due to injury, is a solid callup option behind Erixon.

like i said, the cap space to me right now is worthless. keep avery.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:39 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Really, so, if a scoring forward, or veteran D-man is needed down the stretch, and the Rangers are in a position to improve their playoff aspirations at the trade deadline, you don't want the extra space that would taken up by the salary of the 13TH FORWARD??!! in order to add that player?
RangerBoy can correct me on the math, but keeping 1.164m in space with Avery on the roster throughout the season allows us to add a ~4.5m-5m player at the deadline. Anything that's available at the deadline will be easily added whether we keep Avery on the roster or not. Unless something changes, that is... like calling up Erixon midway through the year. By the way, we add another 525k or 600k to the space when either Bell or Bickel gets sent down.

The decision to carry 13 forwards is cap driven. The personnel decision is not.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:44 AM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
3 goals, 76 games. This is the Sean Avery some of you are *****ing about losing.
So we're using the worst goal season of his career to define a bottom 6 forward whose top job is not to produce offensively?

I guess you wouldn't care if we lost Brandon Prust either, right?

Closed Thread