HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks waive F Victor Oreskovich(UPD: Clears), claim F Dale Weise from NYR

Old
10-04-2011, 12:36 PM
vanwest

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
I thought Oreo looked great at the end of the pre-season. I don't think I will ever understand why Vigneault makes some of the moves he makes.
I wonder if the writing was on the wall for Oreo after last years' playoffs when he didn't stand up for our skilled players.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:36 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
I can't say I'm a fan of this move. I liked Oreo's improvements as the pre-season went on. Not sure what Weise is going to bring other than an average (at best) fight record.
I wouldn't even call his fight record average. He lost to Steve Ott and Luke freaking Schenn last year. (all due respect to Schenn, but he gets beat up more than he beats people up)

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I wonder if the writing was on the wall for Oreo after last years' playoffs when he didn't stand up for our skilled players.
Maybe it was Lappy standing up for Oreo in that Oilers pre-season game.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:37 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I think they just see a guy that has shown more at the AHL level while bringing everything that Oreskovich brings and more. The only real knock on him is his skating, I think. He's still young too.
Ya, fair enough; Rangers fans don't exactly seem to be disappointed they lost this guy, probably about as disappointed as we'd be if Oreskovich was claimed anyways. I think this has more to do with Bitz though, as I believe management thought he'd be one of the guys to claim those fourth line slots, but ended up being side-lined for eternity.

Sounds sort of like Mancari with a bit more grit.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:38 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
Weise is going to bring other than an average (at best) fight record.
Hard to be too excited about the fighting potential of a guy who's 0-1 against bottles of Gatorade.

colonel_korn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
Hard to be too excited about the fighting potential of a guy who's 0-1 against bottles of Gatorade.
Nobody beat the fighting technique of Garth Butcher (eg., tired out his opponent by banging his head against the other guy's fists). "Answered every bell" though.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:41 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Ladies and gentlemen I present to you....Tanner Glass Version 2.0

10-04-2011, 12:41 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Wow, I find that really surprising. Oreskovich was one of the few guys battling for a bottom-six spot that actually seemed to get better as camp wore on. And he's definitely played more at a high level than Weise. Weird move.
Weise has 194 AHL games and 10 NHL games. He's also quite a bit younger and hasn't had the benefit of being a part of the Florida Panthers, where almost anyone can get 50 games in a season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Ladies and gentlemen I present to you....Tanner Glass Version 2.0
Glass was a plug at the AHL level too. This guy is as good as Mancari and Pinner in the minors and is tougher than the former.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:42 PM
ahmon

Quote:
I wouldn't even call his fight record average. He lost to Steve Ott and Luke freaking Schenn last year. (all due respect to Schenn, but he gets beat up more than he beats people up)
More importantly he lost to Nick Foligno, yes Nick Foligno. So he can't possibly be relied upon to fight.

At the least oreskovich gives you hitting ability, and size.

ahmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Sidebar

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonel_korn View Post
Hey man, that Gatorade bottle came out of nowhere!

Personally, I find these moves to be a big head scratcher. But whatever, I guess we have to trust that Gillis is making a smart move.

Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Canucker

Quote:
Yeah, watched a couple of his fights this pre-season where he had his lunch handed to him. He's a game to go though, which is more than Oreskovich unfortunately. I think we're looking at another Guillaume Desbiens who doesn't fight as well.

Canucker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Aqualung

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Nobody beat the fighting technique of Garth Butcher (eg., tired out his opponent by banging his head against the other guy's fists). "Answered every bell" though.

Aqualung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Reign Nateo

Pretty solid pick-up. He's better than Oreskovich. Although I personally would have waived Volpatti. Weise has the tenacity and aggression that Oreskovich is lacking. You guys will love him after the first couple games. Plays hard, finishes every check and stands up for his teammates. I like this pick up considering the 4th line was looking pretty bad, none of the off-season moves really worked out for wingers.

This guy beat up Carcillo already and has a 28 goal season in the AHL. Still just 23 and has shown leadership in the past. Character guy that will fit in well here. Bottom line is he's younger and better than Oreskovich. Easy choice.

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:45 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

There were other waiver wire guys available who would have been much much better than this guy. Spencer Machacek for starters, or if you want a big goon then Tom Sestito. This just seems like a complete waste.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:47 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Although I personally would have waived Volpatti.
Weise is a right winger I believe.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:48 PM
mstad101

I hope Oreo didn't get a place in Vancity already.

Odd move. Still don't know much about this guy. If he's able to go with guys like Hordi Ivanians(if he plays) and who ever else the North West has. I'm ok with him

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

How is Toronto's bottom six?

My spidey senses are tingling.....

...and if he does get picked up we're really going to have to start second guessing that Ballard trade.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
There were other waiver wire guys available who would have been much much better than this guy. Spencer Machacek for starters, or if you want a big goon then Tom Sestito. This just seems like a complete waste.
In what possible way is Machacek better than Weise? He put up the same kind of points in the AHL (and his brief stint in the NHL was similarly uneventful), he's not tough, and he certainly isn't a great option for the 4th line.

Old
10-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Weise has 194 AHL games and 10 NHL games. He's also quite a bit younger and hasn't had the benefit of being a part of the Florida Panthers, where almost anyone can get 50 games in a season.

Glass was a plug at the AHL level too. This guy is as good as Mancari and Pinner in the minors and is tougher than the former.
I was referring moreso to the fact that Oreo has played on the NHL's biggest stage--the Stanley Cup Playoffs, and the Finals to boot. Wasn't an impact player by and stretch, but he had decent games and brought some energy from time to time.

I just don't see how Weise is much of an upgrade...it's a bit of a head scratcher for me. But I guess we'll see how it plays out.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:50 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
Pretty solid pick-up. He's better than Oreskovich. Although I personally would have waived Volpatti. Weise has the tenacity and aggression that Oreskovich is lacking. You guys will love him after the first couple games. Plays hard, finishes every check and stands up for his teammates. I like this pick up considering the 4th line was looking pretty bad, none of the off-season moves really worked out for wingers.

This guy beat up Carcillo already and has a 28 goal season in the AHL. Still just 23 and has shown leadership in the past. Character guy that will fit in well here. Bottom line is he's younger and better than Oreskovich. Easy choice.
From the limited pre season I saw, this is what I saw from Oreo, he wasn't playing with the chip on the shoulder that he needed to.

crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:50 PM
canucksfan

Weise may fight but he sure does suck at it. Just watched a few of his fights.

canucksfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:51 PM
m9

I'm fine with the move. People get worried about contract slots, but we didn't sign any PTO's so there's room.

Oreskovich just has constantly underwhelmed, and doesn't have the hands/skill to play in the top nine ever. His skillset has been re-hashed a ton on here, and the thread from last season went over everything already.

To me he just always seems like an athlete playing hockey, and not a ' hockey player'.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Tiranis

Quote:
I just don't see how Weise is much of an upgrade...it's a bit of a head scratcher for me. But I guess we'll see how it plays out.
Oreskovich: 12 points in 40 games at the AHL level. Weise: 38 points in 47 games at the AHL level. He's also willing to fight, hit, and do whatever else it takes to stick. He's also 2 years younger. I think he's pretty clearly an upgrade. By a lot? No. But it's not like we gave up anything to acquire him.

Old
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
In what possible way is Machacek better than Weise? He put up the same kind of points in the AHL (and his brief stint in the NHL was similarly uneventful), he's not tough, and he certainly isn't a great option for the 4th line.
Machacek is a guy who will hit, he's solid defensively and brings good energy. He's dropped the gloves a few times in the AHL, although not heavyweight bouts by any means. He's a guy who could sub in on the third line if needed, whereas Weise is strictly a 4th line banger.

I just don't like this move at all.

y2kcanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:52 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

Quote:
I was thinking the exact same thing... Machacek really?

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote