HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks waive F Victor Oreskovich(UPD: Clears), claim F Dale Weise from NYR

Old
10-04-2011, 11:52 AM
deckercky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksfan View Post
Weise may fight but he sure does suck at it. Just watched a few of his fights.
Better than having Lapierre stand up for Oreskovich I guess.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:54 AM
Tiranis

Let's keep this in perspective. This guy doesn't have to be the best 4th liner ever. He just needs to be better than Oreskovich and everything on his record says that he is.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
In what possible way is Machacek better than Weise? He put up the same kind of points in the AHL (and his brief stint in the NHL was similarly uneventful), he's not tough, and he certainly isn't a great option for the 4th line.
But he played for the Giants!

Free Torts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckercky View Post
Better than having Lapierre stand up for Oreskovich I guess.
This actually could be less about toughness and more about giving Lapierre someone with some offensive skills to play with.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:55 AM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

vCash: 300
Good acquisition for you guys; just a solid bottom sixer that adds depth, and has a bit of a scoring touch. Youll like him.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:58 AM
mrmyheadhurts
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Oreo is now on waivers.
That's the way the cookie crumbles.

mrmyheadhurts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
Unfortunate for Oreskovich but Canucks needed more grit from the 4th line. At least this guy is worth a try plus Oreskovich will probably clear.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:07 PM
arsmaster

Our pro scouts obviously see more potential in Weise than Oreskovich.

Could this be like the offersheet for Backes...a move made that comes out of nowhere....that looks like sheer brilliance later.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:07 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
Unfortunate for Oreskovich but Canucks needed more grit from the 4th line. At least this guy is worth a try plus Oreskovich will probably clear.
To be honest, I'd rather have a contract freed up - aren't we close to or at 50 contracts now? (and of course, from Oreo's POV - I'd assume he'd have a chance at making an NHL lineup [else why would that team claim him] and earn more money as he's on a two-way deal).

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:13 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Good acquisition for you guys; just a solid bottom sixer that adds depth, and has a bit of a scoring touch. Youll like him.
Alright then. It'd be nice to have a 4th line that doesn't consist of a bunch of plugs. I'm a little unsure why Volpatti wasn't waived though, he seemed like more of the weak link in my mind.

Volpatti-LaPierre-Weise

I suppose that's not bad to start.

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
Oreo didn't impress me as much as I thought he would this preseason. Wasn't physical enough and did get knocked around more than he should. Wake up call for him more than anything else I think.
This... Oreo came in thinkiing the job was his... instead he got a dose of Reality.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:19 PM
LuongosTirePump

Ha, what an entirely unexpected move. Apparently Larry Brooks is going on about this guy on twitter, saying it doesn't make sense NYR let him go. But to be honest I thought Oreo got better as the pre season went on, his puck control improved quite a bit, so I am a bit surprised; however, oreo is a god awful fighter. Maybe this guy can fight a bit more, he certainly put up better numbers in the A.

LuongosTirePump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:23 PM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
This actually could be less about toughness and more about giving Lapierre someone with some offensive skills to play with.
Agree 100%. Story from NYR fans seems to be that he's a solid 4th line player who hits, can win the puck on the forecheck and generate some chances. Add Lapierre to that and we have a 4th line that can threaten to score for the first time in a long time. Having another player willing to drop the gloves is just the prerequisite to be considered for AV's 4th line.

I still think the Canucks expect to develop a bit more out of Oreo. While he wasn't a man on fire out there, he showed he has a lot better tools than a lot of players he was competing with. If he can put it together, he could be a bottom 6 player.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:31 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Some YouTube on this guy, for the sake of reference.

From this vid, it doesn't appear that his skating is an issue, but highlights can be deceptive, I suppose. Looks like he has some nose for the net as well given his AHL point production.

Probably the best fight he can lay claim to. Beats Carcillo. If he learns some technique maybe his scrapping will improve.

Meh. Worth a shot I suppose - I'm sure our pro scouting must've seen something they liked. Curious that they waived Oreo, though. Can't Volpatti be sent down without clearing waivers?

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:32 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Here's a mid-camp review on Weise making the rounds on Twitter, not much new information, but apparently he's in better shape?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports Page Magazine
So to try to give himself the best possible chance of making the New York Rangers, the right wing changed his diet and worked with a trainer, Nate Rubin, for the first time this summer while home in Winnipeg, Manitoba, and reported to training this week stronger, thanks largely to eight pounds of muscle mass.

“We set up our own thing and went one-on-one all summer, and I think it really helped me,” Weise said Tuesday while watching others scrimmage at the Madison Square Garden training facility. “Normally I work in a group, but this time I worked one-on-one with (Rubin). I’m leaner than ever. I’m stronger than ever. And I’m a little bit heavier, which I feel good about because I was getting stronger but not really losing my speed.
http://www.sportspagemagazine.com/co...ot.shtml?48912

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:34 PM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

vCash: 300
One thing you should know; he's a TERRIBLE fighter.

Otherwise, he's your prototypical 4th line forward; gritty, blocks shots, is a leader on the ice.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickassguy View Post
SCurious that they waived Oreo, though. Can't Volpatti be sent down without clearing waivers?
If so, maybe the Canucks feel Oreo will get claimed - thus freeing up a contract.

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:35 PM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

Canucks tried to trade for Weise last season so not surprised they claimed him off waivers

LeBrun

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:37 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

vCash: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
One thing you should know; he's a TERRIBLE fighter.

Otherwise, he's your prototypical 4th line forward; gritty, blocks shots, is a leader on the ice.
Well we didn't expect Oreo to fight so hopefully he's an upgrade on everything else.

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:41 PM
vanwest

Sounds like the Canucks were fairly high on him seeing how they tried to trade for him last year. If he can pitch in a few goals and provide some leadership then he could work well with Lapierre. Volpatti would seem to be the weak link on the fourth line but he may be replaced when Pinizzotto comes back. Once Kesler returns we could have another player pushed down to the fourth line and have the makings of a decent line. Oreskovich would be in tough to make that line.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:42 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Being that he's from Winnipeg I'm surprised the Jets didn't pick him up. He's an upgrade on Glass, they lost Rypien... I have no idea what their current bottom six looks like but why not take a chance on a local kid that put up quite decent numbers in the AHL.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:52 PM
the beat
cursum perficio

I went to high school with Weise when he played on the Broncos. I don't remember a damn thing about him.

the beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:56 PM
McDonagh
Slow it down 30GHz

vCash: 1350
Weise gives his all, and is an easy guy to appreciate on the ice, but he is best at getting his face beat in. This guy fights like Aaron Voros.

I still think he should be on the team over Christensen, but Christensen has a nice history with Gaborik.

McDonagh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Uhmkay
Weber2Canucks2013

I've heard reports both good and bad about this guys skating. His salary is exactly the same as Oreskovich. I liked the video above posted with him (That shows his skating is decent), but a very similar video could have been posted with Oreskovich highlights as I'm sure someone could find 10 decent hits, mix in a heavy metal song and a few goals... viola.

Uhmkay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:58 PM
biturbo19

Not opposed to the pickup at all, could be a good move, no real risk to it.

But i am surprised that it was Oreskovich waived instead of sending Volpatti down. Other than the LW/RW thing...did they feel the need for TWO underwhelming fighters instead of just one? I liked a lot of what Oreo showed late in camp, showed he actually has some hands, and has that ability to absolutely obliterate people when he gets a solid hit in. Volpatti is pretty meh. Doesn't really do anything particularly well, still not really NHL calibre. But oh well. Hopefully Lappy and Weise can carry that line until we get healthier and someone else likely gets bumped down to play with them.

biturbo19 is online now   Reply With Quote