HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

The All-Purpose Toughness Thread

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2011, 12:04 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Jussi Jokinen (waived - key performer on CAR)
Nate Thompson (bit player on NYI - key player for TB in the playoffs last year)
Dominic Moore (4th liner on a terrible 2009 FLA team) seemed to help us and TB in the last 2 years
JJ must have been waived cause he wanst tough enough

Old
10-04-2011, 12:18 PM
TheWhiteIdea

I dont know what to say other than I am so sick of the Habs being the one of the biggest ***** teams in the league...

Old
10-04-2011, 12:34 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWhiteIdea View Post
I dont know what to say other than I am so sick of the Habs being the one of the biggest ***** teams in the league...
skill?

Old
10-04-2011, 12:46 PM
pine

vCash: 50
talent?

Old
10-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Roke

I'll go with "powerplay" as my guess.

Old
10-04-2011, 12:52 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Simply not true.

I've seen him play both in junior and the NHL. He doesn't "suck". Is he a great player? No. But he doesn't suck.

If you look at his minor league (AHL) stats and compare those to the minor league stats of our 4th liners (Enqvist, White etc) you will see they are comparable.

Plus this argument that he was a 4th liner on a bad team is BOGUS. You know who else was a 4th liner on the same team? Sean Bergenheim - and I would take Bergenheim over a bunch of guys on this team.
Nuff said if you base any part of how a player plays by his junior but in the NHL. He's been terrible since being an NHLer, he doesn't play hockey, he wins faceoffs and fights. If he loses a faceoff good god are you ever ****ed when this guy is on the ice. He's terrible and consequently signs 1 year low dollar deals with puke worthy teams for a reason.

Old
10-04-2011, 01:01 PM
izzy75

Quote:
The John Lennon's of this thread will morph into hysterical tween girls when Carey Price is run over (for the umpteenth time) and ends up with a chronic injury.

Montreal's message "We're a clean, nice, and finesse playing team" is an invitation for other teams to take liberties with your skill players. And why not? Tony Twist understands how this works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38EhaJ3iJGU

Old
10-04-2011, 01:07 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Nuff said if you base any part of how a player plays by his junior but in the NHL. He's been terrible since being an NHLer, he doesn't play hockey, he wins faceoffs and fights. If he loses a faceoff good god are you ever ****ed when this guy is on the ice. He's terrible and consequently signs 1 year low dollar deals with puke worthy teams for a reason.
I guess reading comprehension isn't your strength...

Old
10-04-2011, 01:07 PM
TheWhiteIdea

Skill, Talent??

Both of those are diminished w/o at least some type of balance between talent & skill and toughness & grit.

Please this teams skill is so easily taken out of the game when other team constant make our skill players play in fear.

Old
10-04-2011, 01:14 PM
Aurel Joliat

We finished 6th in the East and maybe 15th in the league last year. We have skill and a top 5 goalie. That's why we miss something else to go higher (a most complete team in every aspect)

Old
10-04-2011, 02:54 PM
SmurfsFTW
DD for Masterton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurel Joliat View Post
We finished 6th in the East and maybe 15th in the league last year. We have skill and a top 5 goalie. That's why we miss something else to go higher (a most complete team in every aspect)
I don't understand that bolded part. We have a very average skill level at offense and below average defense without Markov... We have good two way players but most of them wouldn't even be on first line on most teams.

What saves the Habs is their defensive system and stellar goaltending. We are arguably one of the weakest team talent-wise, to make the playoffs year after year. And by looking at our rookies in preseason, we're far from getting a 40 goal scorer out of any of those players... People getting all excited about Galagher, a couple of posts and good effort and he's our best prospect, that's sad really.

Need...

- Top end talent on top six
- Toughness, grit, size on bottom six
- A couple of mean shutdown D to replace Spacegoat and Gill

Old
10-04-2011, 03:21 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halakalakaboom View Post
I don't understand that bolded part. We have a very average skill level at offense and below average defense without Markov... We have good two way players but most of them wouldn't even be on first line on most teams.

What saves the Habs is their defensive system and stellar goaltending. We are arguably one of the weakest team talent-wise, to make the playoffs year after year. And by looking at our rookies in preseason, we're far from getting a 40 goal scorer out of any of those players... People getting all excited about Galagher, a couple of posts and good effort and he's our best prospect, that's sad really.

Need...

- Top end talent on top six
- Toughness, grit, size on bottom six
- A couple of mean shutdown D to replace Spacegoat and Gill
We do have skill, and speed too. Top end skill? C'mon, Plekanec is a legit 1st line center and mike cammaleri was a top talent on other teams and for our player run. Maybe it's a matter of a defensive system here, but let's be honest with ourselves, Cole was a legit top 6 guy in carolina. Gomez used to be a franchise center(unforunately he no longer is), guys like gionta bring it every night. Then there's AK, Eller as potential secondary offense after the top 6. I think that's a pretty rounded line-up IMO.

Our D is just fine. We'll have some growing pains as we have a young D and guys out of their prime like gill and spacek but it's a process. If Subban, weber, yemelin, diaz, nash, etc all continue to improve.

As for the other two. I would not be surprised if we acquire a strong physical 3rd line guy and a physical d man for depth at trade deadline.

Old
10-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Skill, Talent??

Both of those are diminished w/o at least some type of balance between talent & skill and toughness & grit.

Please this teams skill is so easily taken out of the game when other team constant make our skill players play in fear.
They played in fear against Boston in the playoffs? Is that why every game was close, and they lost in game 7 OT? Is that playing in fear?

Old
10-04-2011, 03:26 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
We do have skill, and speed too. Top end skill? C'mon, Plekanec is a legit 1st line center and mike cammaleri was a top talent on other teams and for our player run. Maybe it's a matter of a defensive system here, but let's be honest with ourselves, Cole was a legit top 6 guy in carolina. Gomez used to be a franchise center(unforunately he no longer is), guys like gionta bring it every night. Then there's AK, Eller as potential secondary offense after the top 6. I think that's a pretty rounded line-up IMO.

Our D is just fine. We'll have some growing pains as we have a young D and guys out of their prime like gill and spacek but it's a process. If Subban, weber, yemelin, diaz, nash, etc all continue to improve.

As for the other two. I would not be surprised if we acquire a strong physical 3rd line guy and a physical d man for depth at trade deadline.
It's gonna be too late, then.

Old
10-04-2011, 03:38 PM
neofury*

Quote:
I guess reading comprehension isn't your strength...
I guess being able to see isn't a strength for you. If you think Konopka is actually a good hockey player then all I have to say is don't quit your day job and try to become a scout.

Good one though, reading comprehension. Classic in fact.

So if reading comprehension isn't one of my strengths I guess you're an expert.

I mean honestly do you actually think that response makes you look smart? Cause frankly it doesn't it makes you look like you have nothing smart to say in the first place. Please explain where in your post you didn't say Konopka was a good hockey player in junior and NHL implying that junior has some bearing on being a good hockey player in the NHL. Please also point out where you didn't say Konopka was a good hockey player period. Oh wait that's right, you did.

Just because you imply something and then turn around and try to claim you didn't doesn't mean others have a lack of reading comprehension bro, it just means you're a troll baiting tool and if you don't think everyone can see right through it like they always do with your little 4th grade tactics well here's some information for you, they do see through it.

If you can't comprehend how a guy who can't play hockey sucks at playing hockey... then you're probably just about the last person who should be calling out anybody on any kind of comprehension.

Old
10-04-2011, 04:37 PM
NSHabs

Quote:
I'm sad when I look at our 4rth line and see 1) Weber, he's another smurf that should be spending time in AHL at defense, too soft and won't back up his teammates 2) Palushaj, just not reliable defensively and too soft for 4rth line, wich should be all about being tough and physical and responsible in the defenssive zone 3) Engqvist, I just don't see anything good in his game, other than working hard along the boards. Of all three he's the best suited for 4rth line but is relatively missing some of the tools to be a good 4rth line center in the NHL, mostly toughness, grit and physicality.

In conclusion, I can live with smurfs all over our 3 scoring lines, but the fourth line is composed of softies too, and that's a problem to me. I have played hockey in the QJMHL back in the days, am 5'10 and knows how important it is to have bigger guys backing you up when things go bad. Mind you I was one of the smallest guy on many of the teams I played for and I am bigger than the smurfs on the Habs (5'10 180 pounds). I felt a lot mroe confident on the ice when I knew I had tough guys to rely on when a 6'4 220 pounds guy was taking liberties on me. You have to experience it before saying toughness isn't important when you ahve more skills.
Great post.

Old
10-04-2011, 04:42 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHabs View Post
Great post.
Yes indeed, calling things how they really are, smurfs and softies! great new perspective to the debate.

Old
10-04-2011, 05:46 PM
straka91*

MTL has toughness but management refuses to use it. Henry is a solid 6-7 D-man and can tangle with the best of them. But no, they would rather have worthless Campoli and some overhyped Russian. Who else was going to fight Malone? MTL has White and stingy Moen to do all the dirty work. Not very deep at all in that department.

MTL's AHL team is stacked though. Makes no sense lol.

Old
10-04-2011, 05:53 PM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyELBOWZ View Post
MTL has toughness but management refuses to use it. Henry is a solid 6-7 D-man and can tangle with the best of them. But no, they would rather have worthless Campoli and some overhyped Russian. Who else was going to fight Malone? MTL has White and stingy Moen to do all the dirty work. Not very deep at all in that department.

MTL's AHL team is stacked though. Makes no sense lol.
Henry is so slow he makes Hal Gill look like Pavel Bure. He now plays 3rd pairing minutes in the AHL. There is a reason he doesn't even get big minutes for the Bulldogs. He is not even close to being a legit 6/7 NHL dman.

He's great to captain the Bulldogs, and he's a good leader to have around our prospects... but he is not an NHL quality player, not even close.

Last edited by Beakermania*: 10-04-2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old
10-04-2011, 07:09 PM
couris

Quote:
I'm sad when I look at our 4rth line and see 1) Weber, he's another smurf that should be spending time in AHL at defense, too soft and won't back up his teammates 2) Palushaj, just not reliable defensively and too soft for 4rth line, wich should be all about being tough and physical and responsible in the defenssive zone 3) Engqvist, I just don't see anything good in his game, other than working hard along the boards. Of all three he's the best suited for 4rth line but is relatively missing some of the tools to be a good 4rth line center in the NHL, mostly toughness, grit and physicality.

In conclusion, I can live with smurfs all over our 3 scoring lines, but the fourth line is composed of softies too, and that's a problem to me. I have played hockey in the QJMHL back in the days, am 5'10 and knows how important it is to have bigger guys backing you up when things go bad. Mind you I was one of the smallest guy on many of the teams I played for and I am bigger than the smurfs on the Habs (5'10 180 pounds). I felt a lot mroe confident on the ice when I knew I had tough guys to rely on when a 6'4 220 pounds guy was taking liberties on me. You have to experience it before saying toughness isn't important when you ahve more skills.
Great post. Problem here is most of the people never played hockey.

Old
10-04-2011, 07:13 PM
Mynameismark*

Last time the Habs had a cup they were well stocked with toughness. Try to remember that. In fact they needed to be because they weren't the most skilled bunch either.

These guys are too soft and small...pleks gets taken off the puck easily come playoff time, they cant much in the corners without it eventually wearing on them...

The Habs need to fill their bottom trios with a bit more size and toughness. Face facts. That's how Hockey is played. We dont need useless plugs like Darche, you can grab a player like him anywhere...he does nothing good. At least a tough guy can do something good that not many others can. Face facts.

We have Weber and Enqvist on our 4th freakin line!!! Soooooooft.

Old
10-04-2011, 07:17 PM
habitue*

Steckel to the leafs for a 4th round pick....

Exactly what we needed on our 4th line. Size, great face off man, a magician to give headshots without being detected (see Crosby)...

Old
10-04-2011, 07:18 PM
izzy75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameismark View Post
These guys are too soft and small...
But carry a big bark. And that only adds fuel to the fire. Our history, passionate fans and whinny players creates a perfect storm. Pre-game... opposing teams probably relish in the damage they're going to do. If not on the scoreboard, than doled out via punishment. That's why you see opposing players laughing.

If I was White, I'd ask to stay in Hamilton.

Old
10-04-2011, 07:23 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
Playing youth hockey doesn't make you qualified to run an NHL team, sorry.

Old
10-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by couris View Post
Don't think you have to play hockey to have an opinion on it. I did play hockey too but never got to the Q. Yet, I'm able to know by years of analysing and watching the game, how I'd like my team to build on.

The other point is that we often hear in this board that we should shut up 'cause we surely know less than Martin and Gauthier, that they are professionnals and we're not.....Well as far as I'M concerned, there are a whole lot of teams in this league, ALSO run by professionnals, that doesn't share the same view as Martin and Gauthier do. Professionnals or not, every opinion is as good as the other. What differentiate the professionnals actually REALLY running the team and us fans is that we actually often do act as fans, which is not bad 'cause that's who we are, but that is often way too radical in our approach as we'd would fire a lot of people after week 1 or would name a guy rookie of the year after day 2. Something a professionnal should be able to analyse it with some more patience than the actualy fans writing on Game Day Threads would.

Closed Thread