HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks waive F Victor Oreskovich(UPD: Clears), claim F Dale Weise from NYR

Old
10-04-2011, 01:38 PM
Canucker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanEric View Post
That wasn't his battle, though. That was Oreskovich's battle.
Well...to be fair, it really shouldn't have been a battle in the first place. It was a clean hit on RNH. They need to start giving out instigator penalties for this stuff.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:39 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
Aw...who's going to hug Oreskovich now?

I've repressed most of my memories of last seasons playoffs. Thanks for bringing a good one up. Damn that was funny.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:40 PM
jimmythescot

Never heard of him, but I've liked the experiments in this area by Gillis in the past, but I may be in the minority there.

After seeing who else is on waivers today I'm pretty confident that Oreo will clear. I'm fairly sure you can only put a claim in on one player, and Blair Betts would be my choice every time. In fact, I hope Gillis claims him too and sends down Volpatti.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:42 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot_11 View Post
Its a good thing we brought in this chump to fight them.. lets look at the Ranger fans reactions to him getting claimed shall we
I did check the Rangers boards and I think it was pretty even as far as positive/negative comments about him go. A lot more so than you're making it out to be anyways.

Old
10-04-2011, 01:43 PM
Slapshot_11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Your point doesn't hold water; swapping Oreskovich for Weise isn't exactly a drop-off in skill, in fact Weise has had a ton more offensive AHL success then Oreskovich has ever had. If anything, the fourth line just got more skilled, but lost a bit of speed.
And Mancari has both beat and where is he?

Apparently this guy is also a average/bad skater like Mancari. Not a fan of replacing a decent skater with a bad one

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:46 PM
Reign Nateo

Normally in the NHL it's not about being the best fighter, it's about being willing to fight... Not as if the Canucks fight a lot anyway...

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:46 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
I did check the Rangers boards and I think it was pretty even as far as positive/negative comments about him go. A lot more so than you're making it out to be anyways.
Yup. Surprisingly quite a few kind comments about the kid, especially considering how fan bases tend to turn on their discharged depth players like rabid dogs.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
Did you even watch pre-season? The knocks against Mancari are similar to the knocks against Oreskovich, but worse. Big guy that plays like a kitten, doesn't hit, doesn't fight, doesn't grind. Useless unless he's scoring. Jeeze, I didn't know we had any manic Oreskovich fans around these parts; it's obvious the coaches just don't like him. And you're knocking this Weise guy without even seeing him play.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Are you kidding? Mancari is where he deserves to be, down in the minors. The guy was softer than 5'9 175lb Andrew Ebbett.

Old
10-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Alright then. It'd be nice to have a 4th line that doesn't consist of a bunch of plugs. I'm a little unsure why Volpatti wasn't waived though, he seemed like more of the weak link in my mind.

Volpatti-LaPierre-Weise

I suppose that's not bad to start.
I think AV is sending a message to players, not just Oreo, but Sweatt and others on the Wolves. If you are battling for a 4th line spot, you have to battle, skill will not net you the job. So a clearly inferior player like Volpatti getting the job sends a message about what it takes.

And long run, when everyone's healthy, Volpatti loses his job.

10-04-2011, 01:49 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
If Volpatti is getting regular PK time then we are in trouble.

Guess were going with the no skill 4th line who can fight + Lappy

Oh and I guarantee Volpatti won't be on this team by the playoffs
Maybe, but if Volpatti can take the odd shift against a 2nd unit, its just going to leave the top PKers fresher for 5 on 5 play.

Oreskovich did not even provide that option.

He is way too nice of a guy on the ice.

Who cares if you win fights anyways?

Rypien beat everyone up for years, but didnt intimidate anybody on the ice with his size and ability to hit....If Weise can forecheck as advertised, keep the puck in the offensive zone, and protect it on the cycle, as well as being willing to drop the mitts (something Vic wasnt...at least on a consistent basis) then he is better.

Not to mention his offensive stats are pretty good in the AHL.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:50 PM
Type Not Specified
Part of the process

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
I think AV is sending a message to players, not just Oreo, but Sweatt and others on the Wolves. If you are battling for a 4th line spot, you have to battle, skill will not net you the job. So a clearly inferior player like Volpatti getting the job sends a message about what it takes.

And long run, when everyone's healthy, Volpatti loses his job.
Just like Glass last year, right?

Type Not Specified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:51 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
“I really wasn’t expecting to be claimed, but when the coach came in and told me it was Vancouver, I was ecstatic,” Weise told The Province. “Vancouver was a Cup finalist and it’s playing for a Canadian team. I feel I can play any role, but if they want a fourth line guy who finishes his checks, sticks up for his teammates and scrap when necessary that’s no problem. I’m more than willing to be an energy guy if that’s what they need.”
Cool. I'm still a sucker for a guy at least saying all the right things.

Quote:
“He’s a big right-handed shot who can play a physical game and has the ability to play in both ends,” said Canucks assistant GM Laurence Gilman. “Our pro scouts have watched this player a lot and we’ve tried to acquire him since last season.
Pretty much corroborates LeBruns tweet.

Old
10-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Slapshot_11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
Did you even watch pre-season? The knocks against Mancari are similar to the knocks against Oreskovich, but worse. Big guy that plays like a kitten, doesn't hit, doesn't fight, doesn't grind. Useless unless he's scoring. Jeeze, I didn't know we had any manic Oreskovich fans around these parts; it's obvious the coaches just don't like him. And you're knocking this Weise guy without even seeing him play.
The biggest knock of them all on Mancari was his skating something that Oreskovich is good at and it seems this new guy is also a bad skater

So where did we upgrade? A guy willing to get beat up?

Old
10-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Nalyd Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastMetal View Post
Just like Glass last year, right?
No, as weak as Glass was, he was sadly above at least seven players who played on the team. (Tambellini, Rypien, Desbiens, Volpatti, Oreskovich, Schaefer and Andersson.) In fact, prior to Higgins, he was arguably our 7th best winger and thus a lock for the 4th line all year.

Nalyd Psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:57 PM
Canucker

Quote:
The biggest knock of them all on Mancari was his skating something that Oreskovich is good at and it seems this new guy is also a bad skater

So because he fights poorly that's all you can envision about the player? Sad.

Old
10-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Bobby Lou
We Surrender

Quote:
The biggest knock on Mancari was his skating something that Oreskovich is good at and it seems this new guy is also a bad skater

I'd disagree, the biggest knocks against Oreskovich and Mancari were the same, and it didn't have anything to do with skating. These guys have issues with compete level, they aren't consistently physical, and would probably rather enter Battle of the Blades then participate in a NHL level fight. Despite both of them having decent size they completely lacked the requisite 'edge' the coaching staff is obviously looking for in their fourth line wingers. Outside of that, Oreskovich was quick but an offensive black-hole well Mancari was pretty slow, but had some creativity. If this Weise guy can bring a similar skill-set to Mancari with a chip on his shoulder and an edge to his game I'll view it as an upgrade over either of the aforementioned guys.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 02:02 PM
Slapshot_11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
So because he fights poorly that's all you can envision about the player? Sad.
Whats the reason for getting him? bad skater, bad fighter, has been terrible in his short NHL stint. Are you telling me hes better then Oreskovich

If the reason for waiving Oreo and getting someone who actually fights then I understand that but we really didn't accomplish that.. we just got another Oreo when he fights going by what NYR fans say

Old
10-04-2011, 02:05 PM
vanwest

Interesting to hear that our scouts have watched Weise and that the Canucks tried to trade for him. I believe that they were also high on Oreskovich though and wanted him in the Ballard deal. I think the bottomline is that when you try to acquire these type of potential fourth liners you really are playing the odds that eventually you will find a diamond in the rough. Is Wiese that guy? It looks like he at least has the potential.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 02:07 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Whats the reason for getting him? bad skater, bad fighter, has been terrible in his short NHL stint. Are you telling me hes better then Oreskovich

If the reason for waiving Oreo and getting someone who actually fights then I understand that but we really didn't accomplish that.. we just got another Oreo when he fights going by what NYR fans say
In the role the team is looking for, yes, he's better than Oreskovich. He's better offensively, he doesn't hesitate to drop the gloves when needed (unlike Oreskovich) and while he doesn't fight well, neither did Oreskovich.

Old
10-04-2011, 02:09 PM
metric

I love all our new Dale Weise experts

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 02:10 PM
BloatedGuppy

Quote:

Actually, if you don't cherry pick the negative comments you can learn a lot about what kind of player Weise is purported to be. Big. Tons of heart. Gives everything he's got on every shift. Loves to hit. Poor fighter but willing to drop them. Minimal offensive skill but gets his chances through hustle and desire.

I think management wants more Ryan Keslers on this team. More guys who are willing to leave it all on the ice in the biggest games. We had a few too many passengers in the playoffs last year. Oreo was one of them.

BloatedGuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 02:10 PM
Bourdon

Quote:

Fighting is overrated when it comes to a couple of 4th line guys chucking them. If Weise can come in and put up a high energy performance, play physical, and contribute at both ends of the ice, he's definitely got Oreskovich beat. Oreskovich was only good for a big hit or two every few games. Aside from that, he was useless.

Bourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 02:12 PM
Slapshot_11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
In the role the team is looking for, yes, he's better than Oreskovich. He's better offensively, he doesn't hesitate to drop the gloves when needed (unlike Oreskovich) and while he doesn't fight well, neither did Oreskovich.

In the AHL.. as far as the NHL they are the same to me

And Oreo is a good/decent skater while he is a bad/average skater and in todays NHL skating is very important

Whatever I hope Weise can become a serviceable 13th forward for us

Old
10-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Burningblades

Oreo!!!!!! Nooo!!!!!!!! but I guess he might go unclaimed and just go to Chicago. We use the whole preseason playing scrubs to decide who are tough guy is going to be just to pick one off waivers before the season starts.

Burningblades is offline   Reply With Quote