HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

One rule change that's sure to go next year

Closed Thread

Old
10-19-2005, 07:12 PM
Spungo*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice berg slim
there are more goals being scored, bit that could be from the other rules. I do like the idea of having the goalies as fair game, but it will never happen.
Why will it never happen? It's the way it used to be. There are Don Cherry videos I still have of goalies getting nailed worse than any hits thrown all this year. Goalies used to be fair game outside the crease.

Old
10-19-2005, 07:17 PM
Spungo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS
Goalies just get around it by playing the puck in front of the goal line. Turco handled the puck outside of his crease 38 times in one recent Dallas game. The effect is minimal. Hard dump-ins were always handled behind the net and nothing has changed in that regard. Softer dump-ins were handled in the corners, but now goalies just intercept those before the cross into the trapezoid.

And, again, what on earth is so bad about goaltenders handling the puck? Why does it have to be prevented?

The NFL, MLB, and NBA almost never tinker with their rules. The NFL has had various tinkerings of their replay setup, but that's an enforcement issue and not an onfield one. The NFL doesn't bounce back and forth on how many feet you have to have in-bounds to make a catch, or the size and markings of the field, or what constitutes a penalty (save excessive celebrations). It's always the same. The NHL looks bush league because they're flip-flopping on two or three significant rules/year.

Why is intentionally slamming the puck down the ice to cause an icing not a penalty, but it is to accidentally shoot the puck over the glass? It makes no sense. There are about 10 different ways to accidentally cause a play stoppage, and none of them are penalized. There are multiple ways to intentionally cause a play stoppage, and few of those are penalized.

Of course it should be a penalty for intentionally shooting the puck over the glass. But when that happens it's usually pretty bloody obvious. Shooting the puck over the glass wasn't an epidemic, and no-one was asking for that change. All it does is lead to chintzy penalties on accidental plays. Should just be no line change, same as icing calls, which would make perfect sense.
The NFL tinckers every year with pass interference (obstruction). There was a massive crackdown just last year that led to huge offensive numbers for some teams and QB's.

One of the reasons goalies handling the puck is bad is because they are untouchable and become (stealing another posters phrase) super defensemen. To beat the trap, often times you have to dump it in. Now with a crackdown on obstruction, a trap team cant survive having 5 guys across the blue line. It's simple physics; one rushing team going 20 MPH dump a puck in while 5 guys are at a dead stop in the blueline. The trapping team is toast on those dumpins. That is, unless the goalie become the 3rd d-man who is untouchable, making the whole dump-in useless as a way of beating the trap.

Old
10-19-2005, 07:34 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spungo
The NFL tinckers every year with pass interference (obstruction). There was a massive crackdown just last year that led to huge offensive numbers for some teams and QB's.

One of the reasons goalies handling the puck is bad is because they are untouchable and become (stealing another posters phrase) super defensemen. To beat the trap, often times you have to dump it in. Now with a crackdown on obstruction, a trap team cant survive having 5 guys across the blue line. It's simple physics; one rushing team going 20 MPH dump a puck in while 5 guys are at a dead stop in the blueline. The trapping team is toast on those dumpins. That is, unless the goalie become the 3rd d-man who is untouchable, making the whole dump-in useless as a way of beating the trap.
You make it seem like the goalie is getting the puck and skating it up the ice. From watching Turco, he's not. He's simply stopping the puck and making a quick play with it. I haven't seen one instance this year from him that had me thinking he would have gotten blown up if he were a regular defenseman. He gets the puck, and plays it quickly, almost always before the forechecker gets there. Every once in a while he'll pull a pass fake, but its no different than a defenseman doing it, and the result is the same.

-Vagrant
Old
10-19-2005, 07:35 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS
And, again, what on earth is so bad about goaltenders handling the puck? Why does it have to be prevented?
Because it's easier to limit the few goalies who can really change a game with their puckhandling than to 'teach' those other goalies to do it.

Old
10-19-2005, 09:20 PM
thenextone

Goaltenders will never be fair game

why? if you allow them to be hit, be prepared to have a bench clearing brawl EVERY game.

If you hit a goalie, you are guarenteed to get jumped, instigator or no instigator

Old
10-19-2005, 09:43 PM
STARS DAWG

I like goaltenders handling the puck, but I don't think they should be able to go pin it in the corner and be protected. I favor letting them play it outside the trapazoid but they should be fair game.

If you want to really open things up, get rid of icing and two line pass stoppages all together and have full tagup for offsides, not this half-tagup stuff (should not be a stoppage until a non-tagged up player touches it, no matter how deep they were). That way, the goalie can play the puck back there and shoot it to the other end boards. The game will be moving so fast, the goalie will have to think twice about getting too far out of his net.

Old
10-19-2005, 10:09 PM
MattyP626

[QUOTE=MS]
The NFL, MLB, and NBA almost never tinker with their rules. The NFL has had various tinkerings of their replay setup, but that's an enforcement issue and not an onfield one. The NFL doesn't bounce back and forth on how many feet you have to have in-bounds to make a catch, or the size and markings of the field, or what constitutes a penalty (save excessive celebrations). It's always the same. The NHL looks bush league because they're flip-flopping on two or three significant rules/year.

QUOTE]

What about when the NBA shortened the 3 point line or when the MLB changed the height of the pitchers mound and moved in the outfield walls?

Old
10-20-2005, 12:25 AM
garry1221

Send a message via AIM to garry1221
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharksfanatic
I don't like it, but if they had to keep it, make it larger. Nabby stopped a puck like 2 feet outside of his crease then wrapped it behind the net and they called him for it--in one motion, mind you.

Totally lame call. Its kind of ridiculas not being able to play the puck when you're just outside of the crease.
the only reason nabby got called for that was because he handled the puck outside the trapezoid and BEHIND the blueline. if the puck would have been off his stick before his stick went behind the blueline then no call would have been made... just got unlucky that there was a ref right there to see and make the call. had the ref been on the other side of the net, i doubt that call would have been made.

on the topic at hand, i think this rule has helped actually... i wouldn't mind seeing it stick around after this year. i've seen plenty of good passes made by goalies from in front of the blueline this year. all this rule is truly doing is limiting how long a goalie has to make a play... can't just drag the puck anymore, gotta keep it moving... that's all i really see with this rule.

Old
10-20-2005, 08:16 AM
Steve L*

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextone
Goaltenders will never be fair game

why? if you allow them to be hit, be prepared to have a bench clearing brawl EVERY game.

If you hit a goalie, you are guarenteed to get jumped, instigator or no instigator
Fine, every time you nail a goalie, youre going to come out with a powerplay.

Goalies should be fair game when they have the puck. I hate to see them just turn around and stick their arse in the forecheckers face knowing they cant be touched. Make them fair game but only behind the goal line.

Old
10-20-2005, 09:22 AM
Chootoi

currently the goalies are just skating to the puck before it crosses the goal line to play it. if the NHL really wants to limit the puck handling by the goalies (i personally don't mind either way, i don't think it makes that much of a difference), i think they should just modify the current "trapezoid" area, and make a second, larger crease that players can enter but goalies can't exit. illustrated here, forgive my crappy drawing
Attached Images
File Type: gif rink.gif‎ (2.4 KB, 6 views)

Old
10-20-2005, 09:31 AM
AM

exactly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by David A. Rainer
I'd like to see it stay with one modification, because I'm sick of seeing goalies acting like a third defenseman that no one can touch.

Modification: If the goalie plays the puck outside the trapezoid, he's fair game to be checked. If inside the trapezoid, can't touch him. But I doubt it will ever happen.
and how about when they check the forward.

They want to play the puck, then they are fair game.

Old
10-20-2005, 09:55 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blamebettman
One rule change that's sure to go next year

The silly Brodeur Trapezoid, how they hell did this thing get approved anyway. Clarke has an idea to handcuff a few of the best puckhandling goalies in hockey (both in his division btw) and it actually goes through.

Goalies are still handling the puck, those that can't do it are still screwing up. Get rid of the trapezoid and let the wannabe Brodeurs wander into the corners, they'll end up causing MORE goals that way.

and why can't they redraw the crease as a semicircle. Think about it. Player ices the pick, it slides near the crease and gets touched up icing. If it was still a semi circle, the puck would slide through the blue of the crease. Icing waved off. I thought the NHL wanted to decrease icings, a bigger crease would help.
The new rules actually help goalies that play the puck more than they hurt them. The trapezoid hardly limits goalies at all, and now the good ones can fire the puck up to the fire blueline to cherry picking forwards.

Old
10-20-2005, 03:26 PM
Tao Jones

If goalies are fair game, they should be able to give back full body-checks blocker and all. If Cechmanek is crazy enough challenge a forward at his blueline, what's to keep someone the size of Garth Snow taking a run at someone the size of Sidney Crosby as he comes flying behind the net? I'm sure the NHL brass would love to see that. I'm sure a goalie would have the advantage on knee-to-knees as well. Still wanna run the goalies without penalty? Bring back Billy Smith. I'm sure he'd take a few boarding penalties, if the situation called for it.

Closed Thread