HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Gustafsson, Brayden Schenn and Harry Zolnierczyk to Phantoms

Old
10-04-2011, 04:16 PM
DeflatedFootball7

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54fightin View Post
I know this is way off the thread but I would like to see the Flyers trade Schenn for a young stud defenseman. We have enough centers and I think Sean C will be a better all around player. Giroux and Couturier will carry us for years on the top lines and Briere and Talbot are signed for a few years. We need a young stud on the blueline.
No thanks

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 04:18 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
That assumes Shelley will be waived, though. Any word on if that is possible? Also who would be 7th Defenseman?
Well I put in the D-men for what we still have on the team right now. I hope Shelley gets ****ing waived. Even if he isn't we would still have over a million in cap even with both Rinaldo and Shelley as our 13th and 14th. Shelley should still be gone. End of story. If the Rangers got rid of Avery (a better player than Shelley) why the **** can't we get rid of this useless piece of ****?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 04:20 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Well I put in the D-men for what we still have on the team right now. I hope Shelley gets ****ing waived. Even if he isn't we would still have over a million in cap even with both Rinaldo and Shelley as our 13th and 14th. Shelley should still be gone. End of story. If the Rangers got rid of Avery (a better player than Shelley) why the **** can't we get rid of this useless piece of ****?
I'm not disagreeing that he should be waived, I'm just saying it seems unlikely because for whatever reason, Lavy, Homer, Snider, whomever doesn't appear to want to get rid of him. I have to imagine he would have been gone long ago if they planned on dumping him.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 04:20 PM
Midnight Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Yes, but he probably does need a game or three with the Phantoms, as a bit of a rehab. And Lappy still need to be on the opening day roster. Once that gets LTIR'd, Schenn could come back up.
This is great news. Schenn and Couturier playing for the Flyers this year will give us more depth on offense. It will be interesting to see how Laviolette puts the lines together. I could see Couturier centering are 3rd line.

Midnight Oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 04:22 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountDownToImpact View Post
This is great news. Schenn and Couturier playing for the Flyers this year will give us more depth on offense. It will be interesting to see how Laviolette puts the lines together. I could see Couturier centering are 3rd line.
Likely he will be centering the 3rd line thursday, and until schenn gets called up, but after that who knows.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 04:27 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Also having both Couturier and Schenn also means much more defense from our forwards.

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 04:53 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

Sources: Flyers' Schenn To Be Temporarily Assigned To Ahl

As per TSN:

Quote:
Sources say Philadelphia Flyers forward Brayden Schenn has been informed he will be temporarily assigned to the AHL and the motivation behind this move is 100% cap specific.

Schenn's contract, negotiated by the Los Angeles Kings will pay him $900,000 this year, plus $850,000 in entry level 'A' bonuses for a total of $1.75 million, however Schenn has substantial 'B' bonuses included in his deal that would be very cap unfriendly to the Flyers.

The 'B' bonuses in the first two years of his contract pay Schenn $1.265 million and $1.405 million if he plays 25 minutes in each of the 82 regular season games.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=377385

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-04-2011 at 05:14 PM.
dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 04:53 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Sneaky Lombardi.. He hinted at this before, I guess now we have some clarity:

Quote:
Question: His cap number had been listed at around $3 million. That’s actually not what it would cost you to have him around?

LOMBARDI: “Let’s just say, for now, that he has showed it’s important for him to make this team and not have that as a hindrance.”
http://lakingsinsider.com/2010/06/02...-on-prospects/

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-04-2011 at 05:15 PM.
BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 04:59 PM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

sorry didn't see a thread - was happy to report something.... LOL

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 05:06 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Cap circumvention.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 05:12 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Cap circumvention.
I could see them getting busted for that if they aren't careful. If Homer says they sent him down specifically to avoid the cap hit, I could see Bettman or whoever punishing the Flyers in some way. If they say he is hurt or whatever and the cap hit getting cut in half is just a happy coincidence then I think they are ok.

Old
10-04-2011, 05:18 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
I could see them getting busted for that if they aren't careful. If Homer says they sent him down specifically to avoid the cap hit, I could see Bettman or whoever punishing the Flyers in some way. If they say he is hurt or whatever and the cap hit getting cut in half is just a happy coincidence then I think they are ok.
all flyers have to argue is he is not ready and needs time down there, which is plausible because he is a young inexperience player. If he had already established himself as a good/great player then maybe it could be looked at.

Old
10-04-2011, 05:22 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
all flyers have to argue is he is not ready and needs time down there, which is plausible because he is a young inexperience player. If he had already established himself as a good/great player then maybe it could be looked at.
That's what I'm saying. If Homer comes out and says, "We needed a break on the cap," they might be in trouble. If he says the right stuff, they should be ok.

Old
10-04-2011, 05:31 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
That's what I'm saying. If Homer comes out and says, "We needed a break on the cap," they might be in trouble. If he says the right stuff, they should be ok.
Well I doubt he does that because everyone just assumes that is why he is doing it.

Old
10-04-2011, 06:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
I don't care if it's cap-circumvention. It's in his contract. Holmgren has every right to do it. If the league has a problem with it, they should have complained to Lombardi. He was the one who actually wanted to sign Kovalchuk to a contract that would not have been kiboshed.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:08 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
I don't care if it's cap-circumvention. It's in his contract. Holmgren has every right to do it. If the league has a problem with it, they should have complained to Lombardi. He was the one who actually wanted to sign Kovalchuk to a contract that would not have been kiboshed.
I think the circumvention would be sending him to the A for one game, not the actual clause in the contract. But I am not too concerned, teams seem to do this sort of thing all the time.

Old
10-04-2011, 06:11 PM
ToTheNet

Send a message via AIM to ToTheNet
Quote:
I think the circumvention would be sending him to the A for one game, not the actual clause in the contract. But I am not too concerned, teams seem to do this sort of thing all the time.
there is the Kovalchuck cap circumvention and there is this. Signing a player for 30 years and paying him $2 for 6 of those years is drastically different than preventing a player from hitting a bonus. The Flyers have every right to do what they want with contracts that have already been OKed by the league. If the league had problems with rookie bonuses they could put something in place similar to what they do with 35+ contracts.

ToTheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:13 PM
Flyerfan808

I can taste the tears of the haters and capologists everywhere.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:19 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
I still don't care. It's in there that they can do it. I don't think they will, but the league is incredibly naive if that's allowed under the B-level bonuses for ELC and thought no one would dare do it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:21 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToTheNet View Post
there is the Kovalchuck cap circumvention and there is this. Signing a player for 30 years and paying him $2 for 6 of those years is drastically different than preventing a player from hitting a bonus. The Flyers have every right to do what they want with contracts that have already been OKed by the league. If the league had problems with rookie bonuses they could put something in place similar to what they do with 35+ contracts.
Yeah I think you're right. I just took a glance at the CBA and it seems to be only relating to contracts being approved and disclosure of payments. It does give a list that it specifically says is non-exclusive, which could potentially lead to this being considered circumvention somehow, but I think that would be a stretch.

Old
10-04-2011, 06:50 PM
DUHockey9

It shouldn't even be in the discussion as cap-circumvention. It's apples to oranges when it comes to the "traditional" cap-circumvention, we've seen over the past few years (AKA signing players to contracts and including years in which they will never, ever play).

You are adding fake years/dollars onto a contract in one instance, whereas in this particular case, it's simply understanding your asset. The Flyers have every intention of keeping Schenn for the length of this contract.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Dr Hans Reinhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Ahhh...so this is what Deano meant about Schenn structuring his contract to be cap friendly last off season when the kings were eyeballs deep in Kovalgate. I never fully understood what he was talking about. When schenn did this its was looked at as a character move to help the team. I had high hopes for the kid to help the kings to the promised land. He'll be back.

Dr Hans Reinhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Parise9Crosby87

thought schenn was a lock for sure couturier is legit

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:21 PM
DUHockey9

Quote: