HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brayden Schenn Temporarily Assigned to AHL to Reduce Cap Hit Before Season

Old
10-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Albi

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Albi
Brayden Schenn Temporarily Assigned to AHL to Reduce Cap Hit Before Season

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=377385

Albi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 04:40 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

So THAT's what Lombardi was referring to when he said he made the bonuses unlikely to be reached

edit: for those who don't want to read the article, he's being assigned to the AHL for likely just one game in order to negate a potential $1.265M bonus.

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 04:47 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

no big deal, salary cap reasons

DAkings20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 04:50 PM
sweatypickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
So THAT's what Lombardi was referring to when he said he made the bonuses unlikely to be reached

edit: for those who don't want to read the article, he's being assigned to the AHL for likely just one game in order to negate a potential $1.265M bonus.
indeedidoo!

sweatypickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 04:55 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

If anyone needs to be reminded of what I'm referring to:

LOMBARDI: [...] To the kid’s credit though, one thing that bodes well for the kid, in fairness to him, he adjusted his contract. As the fifth pick, he could have demanded X, Y and Z on his cap number, but he recognized that he wanted to play here, so he kept his cap number down to ensure that he’s not left off the team because of his cap number. That’s what happened with Rask. You’re starting to see that more and more with kids, where the cap number is too high for the role. With Rask, if he becomes a No. 1, he’s worth it, but I can’t call him up as a No. 2 at the number, so the kid stays in the minors. So you’re starting to see a little of that. Schenner might be one of the first ones to adjust on his first contract and say, `OK, if I’m going to break in, I might have to start as a No. 4, and I can’t break in as a 4 with a $3-million cap number.”

Question: His cap number had been listed at around $3 million. That’s actually not what it would cost you to have him around?

LOMBARDI: “Let’s just say, for now, that he has showed it’s important for him to make this team and not have that as a hindrance.”

http://lakingsinsider.com/2010/06/02...-on-prospects/

Old
10-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Which begs the question, why was it even in the contract? Larsson negotiated a contract with NJ without any bonuses. I hope Meehan isn't his agent.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 05:03 PM
johnjm22

With the CBA expiring, I was under the impression that potential bonuses counted against the CAP whether they're achieved or not.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 05:04 PM
BigBrown
They did it again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
With the CBA expiring, I was under the impression that potential bonuses counted against the CAP whether they're achieved or not.
I think they still go away once they become impossible to achieve. I could be wrong. Or maybe there's some loophole for this situation, where the bonus is negated before he even starts the season on the big club.

Old
10-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
I think the bonus disappears once it is unachievable and the cap hit falls with it. No fans cared in the past because of the "bonus cushion".

Old
10-04-2011, 05:13 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

I really will miss watching this kid develop as an LA King. I'll get over it soon though, because I'd rather watch Mike Richards suffer from Terry Murray's ineptitude than Schenn. Its one thing to watch a proven guy struggle under a coach, its another to watch a prospect be offensively stifled.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 05:15 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
I think the bonus disappears once it is unachievable and the cap hit falls with it. No fans cared in the past because of the "bonus cushion".
My understanding is that if you start the season on a roster with a contract that has an acheivable bonus on it, it counts throughout the entire season even if it becomes unachievable somewhere in the season. However if you do not begin the season with a bonus that is achievable then you are free and clear of it. Otherwise they could just bench Schenn the first game and be fine, they need to send him down because then he is not locked into the starting roster where these bonus things get set. Lawyers really ****ing suck.

Old
10-04-2011, 05:29 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
My understanding is that if you start the season on a roster with a contract that has an acheivable bonus on it, it counts throughout the entire season even if it becomes unachievable somewhere in the season. However if you do not begin the season with a bonus that is achievable then you are free and clear of it. Otherwise they could just bench Schenn the first game and be fine, they need to send him down because then he is not locked into the starting roster where these bonus things get set. Lawyers really ****ing suck.
Makes sense.

I think that Philly is higher on Sean anyways.

Old
10-04-2011, 05:40 PM
Johnny Utah

I miss Schenn and Simmonds...Wayne took his visor off and has 4 goals in the pre-season.

Sometimes I think we gave up too much....

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 05:53 PM
WhatTheFox
Jacha-chacha-chachow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
I miss Schenn and Simmonds...Wayne took his visor off and has 4 goals in the pre-season.

You aren't the only one to miss Simmer. The guy brings a great mix of skill and grit and it's something this team sorely needs, especially come playoff time. That being said, let's wait to see what Richards brings. He hasn't been anytning special, but it's only preseason so it doesn't really count... yet.

I'd be stoked if we could some how trade for him back, but I know that isn't happening anytime soon. Too bad.

WhatTheFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:06 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:

didnt he have more than that last pre season? clearly on the downslope of his career

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:24 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Makes sense.

I think that Philly is higher on Sean anyways.
You mean Courtourier (sp?) right?

That kid is ****ing nails. First time I saw him at WJC I thought "wow", best player on the ice.

Old
10-04-2011, 06:30 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 102
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Was shocked when I saw the title, after reading about it it makes sense. I guess they are sending him down so he doesn't start and will then bring him back up which takes off some of his cap hit. At least that's what Flyers fans are saying. He is expected to be right back after the season starts.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller

Last edited by Telos: 10-04-2011 at 06:41 PM.
Telos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

and Brandon Pirri of Chicago and Mark Scheifele of Winn have 4 goals in 4/5 games.

Don't read in to preseason too much.

Jason Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:50 PM
Johnny Utah

If I had a do-over...I may have kept Schenn and Simmonds and moved Loki into the #2 spot and signed Gagne and moved Schenn to the 3rd line LW spot.

Old
10-04-2011, 07:01 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Justin Papineau once had a 5-goal game for the St. Louis Blues during a pre-season game and Kings fans were screaming bloody murder that they let such a hot prospect walk away for nothing.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:14 PM
Johnny Utah

Come on Ziggy, Simmonds is no Papineau. Wayne is NHL proven with tons of upside and about 1 foot taller than Richards.

Old
10-04-2011, 07:16 PM
DocWest
2012 & 2014 Champs

That title is a little misleading. At first I was like, damn that kid can't catch a break.

DocWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:21 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
Justin Papineau once had a 5-goal game for the St. Louis Blues during a pre-season game and Kings fans were screaming bloody murder that they let such a hot prospect walk away for nothing.
Exactly. The Kings got the best player in that deal and people are already clamoring for Simmer because he had a good pre-season........pre-season. Meanwhile, Schenn has looked OK and is currently injured, yet it's still only the pre-season. What are we doing here?

ScoreZeGoals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:23 PM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Come on Ziggy, Simmonds is no Papineau. Wayne is NHL proven with tons of upside and about 1 foot taller than Richards.
One foot taller? That's right we should only draft and ice a team based on height. Lets forget about the fact that Richards is a better PLAYER

ScoreZeGoals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:25 PM
Johnny Utah

Simmonds is 23 and hasn't hit his potential. Has all the tools, can score, hit, fight and play defensively and is big.

Schenn is 20 years old and barely even played in the NHL.

The 2nd round pick is TBD.

It's a lot to give up....just saying.