HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Lindros - Team Canada?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-20-2005, 09:39 AM
  #26
pei fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,536
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M. Fletcher
I have a feeling this is going to turn into a Pro Toronto, and anti-Toronto thread. My reasoning for him not making the team are as follows

sakic
lemieux
lecavalier
richards
thornton

My same reasons for Spezza not making it.

The wings are equally as strong up and down.
They are going to have to take a hard look at both Spezza and Crosby.
Lemieux is not playing like he should be on the team and he would
play on the wing anyway.

pei fan is offline  
Old
10-20-2005, 11:38 AM
  #27
zeke
#freewilly
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 28,908
vCash: 500
1) Lindros has never NOT been invited to the olympics;
2) Lindros has had a better start to this season than any other Canadian centre;
3) Lindros is the best two-way Canadian centre.

If Lindros keeps playing like this, he's a no doubter.


Lemieux - Sakic - Iginla
Gagne - Thornton - Nash
Richards - LeCavalier - St.Louis
Doan - Lindros - Heatley

and that Lindros line could easily be the best line on the team.

Lindros has looked better than any of those other centres so far this year, at least.

And to tell the truth, there has to be question marks on pretty much every player on that roster. I see precious few "locks" there. St.Louis has to pick it up. Thornton and Nash have to stay healthy. etc.

I also think that Mario is going to take a pass on this one, which would open the door for Bertuzzi.

zeke is offline  
Old
10-20-2005, 11:44 AM
  #28
Don Draper
Registered User
 
Don Draper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ottawa
Posts: 3,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke
1) Lindros has never NOT been invited to the olympics;
2) Lindros has had a better start to this season than any other Canadian centre;
3) Lindros is the best two-way Canadian centre.


1. Lindros has never played well at the Olympics
2. Spezza, Savard, Todd White, Eric Staal, and Crosby all hav more points to start the season.
3. Lindros is the best two-way Canadian Center? Really? When did this become fact? better than sakic? better than Thornton? Richards for that matter? I am perplexed.

Don Draper is offline  
Old
10-20-2005, 11:52 AM
  #29
zeke
#freewilly
 
zeke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 28,908
vCash: 500
don't be perplexed, just be informed.

Lindros is better than any of those centres defensively.

and yes, Lindros has played very well at the olympics.

zeke is offline  
Old
10-20-2005, 12:33 PM
  #30
Don Draper
Registered User
 
Don Draper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: ottawa
Posts: 3,004
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke
don't be perplexed, just be informed.

Lindros is better than any of those centres defensively.

and yes, Lindros has played very well at the olympics.

Ok....still waiting to be informed

Don Draper is offline  
Old
10-20-2005, 12:35 PM
  #31
Wondercarrot
Classless
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
don't be perplexed, just be informed.

Lindros is better than any of those centres defensively.
and yes, Lindros has played very well at the olympics.

1998 Canada Olympics 6 2 3 5
2002 Canada Olympics 6 1 0 1

So he was named captain of the 1998 team how did he do? well he paced the team with a whopping 2 goals in what's considered the biggest flop of a team in a long time.
In 2002 he was terrible and had 1 point.

Also, simply because YOU say he's better than Sakic, Lecavalier, Richards and Thorton defensively doesnt make it so.
Why dont you start a poll Zeke? that way everyone can rave about how great a defensive player Lindros is. Afterall that's how he made his mark in the NHL....defence, that's what's enabled him to win all those Cups i guess...defence.

I know ive seen Sakic play great defence on the way to winning a Cup, i know i saw Lecavalier and Richards play great defence 2 years ago on the way to the Cup.
I remember watching Lindros at the last Olympics where he was stinking out the joint offensively and the commentators mentioned that for him to be useful he better start scoring goals....because he wasnt there for his defence.

I remember that because i also remember him scoring the one goal he DID score, because he looked like he had never scored one before he was so happy.


So instead of you spouting off telling others to get informed, feel free to do so yourself.

Wondercarrot is offline  
Old
10-20-2005, 01:27 PM
  #32
dakota
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 1,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke
don't be perplexed, just be informed.

Lindros is better than any of those centres defensively.

and yes, Lindros has played very well at the olympics.
zeke is the same guy who said McCabe/Kaberle are better than Chara/Redden... if you look at all his posts... they all have a toronto theme to them and he is condescending... he says Lindros has had a better start to the season and I.M. Fletcher calls his bluff... he then ignores it.

Here are his other posts... check em out for some laughs
http://hfboards.com/search.php?searchid=573045

dakota is offline  
Old
10-20-2005, 04:03 PM
  #33
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,985
vCash: 500
Look as a Leaf fan I'm glad to see Lindros having the start he's having this year, but he wont be on team Canada. Niether wil Allison or O'Neill. Team USA? Of course they would. But at centre its too much of a battle. Lemieux, Lecavalier, Thornton, Richards, Sakic are all better. Even on the wing its almost set in stone who is there other than a couple maybes. Then the 13th centre IMO should go to a young up and comer like a Spezza, Staal or Crosby. Sorry Eric, but he'll have to settle for being on the '91, '96, '98 and '02 Canada Teams. And in the '02 Olympics he wasnt very good, '98 he was okay but all three goals in those two tournaments combined came against Belarus.

Big Phil is offline  
Old
10-20-2005, 04:10 PM
  #34
Sixty Six
Registered User
 
Sixty Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,074
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordoe28



Fleury isn't in the NHL right now because Pittsburgh doesn't want to pay him.


And that thread was for 2 years down the road.
The reason he isn't in the NHL is because we want him playing a ton of games and w/ Thibault in Pittsburgh it won't happen.

Sixty Six is offline  
Old
10-20-2005, 04:13 PM
  #35
arrbez
bad chi
 
arrbez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,610
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to arrbez
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMU85
The reason he isn't in the NHL is because we want him playing a ton of games and w/ Thibault in Pittsburgh it won't happen.
If he was ready to be the starter though, I imagine they wouldn't have gone and signed a starter in the off-season. That's all I'm saying. DiPietro would start for Pittsburgh right now if he were on the team

arrbez is offline  
Old
10-20-2005, 04:15 PM
  #36
Vincent_TheGreat
Registered User
 
Vincent_TheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,128
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBear
He has fufilled Sundins shoes more than expected so far. Looks like he has gotten his game back in shape. If he keeps playing like this for the rest of the year, should he be on team Canada?
If he keeps playing this he will most definitely be on the team! Especially when Bert is struggling and Thornton can't even play because of a bad back!

Vincent_TheGreat is offline  
Old
10-20-2005, 04:17 PM
  #37
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy
 
NyQuil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: NyLand
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,470
vCash: 500
I called Lindros the "White Ghost" in 2002 because he was floating around in a really big white jersey and wasn't doing anything. His big breakout game in that tournament was against powerhouse Belarus.

And this was before he joined the Leafs, so don't hold that against me

Even with his revitalized career, he's not physical enough to play a 3rd/4th line role, not fast enough to play on the top 2 lines, and may be injury prone.

Nothing against Lindros really, just a matter of limited spots.

At least by December we'll have a better idea as opposed to this extremely limited sample of a handful of games.

NyQuil is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.