HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bob Mckenzie calder prediction

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-04-2011, 06:11 PM
  #26
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,197
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
To this point, yes the signing looks good. That is all. Smearing this in people's faces is a little premature.
Haha, this is what I am talking about! Moves that are made are immediately labeled as awful, even before they play out and that is totally fine. But saying a move is good before it plays out is premature. All I am looking for is consistency. Trade people don't like is made and Homer is the worst GM even before the season starts. That is a fine reaction. But this is not? Also, I was clearly being facetious in my original response to prove this very point.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:17 PM
  #27
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,281
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Haha, this is what I am talking about! Moves that are made are immediately labeled as awful, even before they play out and that is totally fine. But saying a move is good before it plays out is premature. All I am looking for is consistency. Trade people don't like is made and Homer is the worst GM even before the season starts. That is a fine reaction. But this is not? Also, I was clearly being facetious in my original response to prove this very point.
Hmm example? Him not knowing about the CBA is pretty factual. There is no debating that. But player wise?

There is a difference between the two statements. Bad in the past = higher probability of being bad in the future (see Shelly signing, Zherdev, Lilja, Walker, etc). Unknown in the past = unknown in the future (see rookies like Read, Schenn, Couturier). Does that make sense? Its hard to explain it.

I am confused as what you are trying to argue. If we see he makes a bad move, we criticize it. When we see he makes a good move we say good job. I think that is pretty simple. It is just human nature though to focus more on that bad than good. Every team and pretty much everything in the world is like that.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:18 PM
  #28
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 36,252
vCash: 156
It's pretty easy to tell when a move is going to be terrible off the bat. Like...when he signs bad players.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:23 PM
  #29
Flyerfan808
Registered User
 
Flyerfan808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Honolulu, HI
Country: United States
Posts: 2,002
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Haha, this is what I am talking about! Moves that are made are immediately labeled as awful, even before they play out and that is totally fine. But saying a move is good before it plays out is premature. All I am looking for is consistency. Trade people don't like is made and Homer is the worst GM even before the season starts. That is a fine reaction. But this is not? Also, I was clearly being facetious in my original response to prove this very point.
Pessimism wins. You should know this you're a Flyers fan.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:25 PM
  #30
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 500
If read does turn out to play like a calder trophy type player, that should truly help this team become very very good.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:27 PM
  #31
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 13,925
vCash: 955
I wonder what Bob's track record is on pre-season predictions.

This one seems a little out of left field, since Read will likely spend the majority of his time in the bottom six. If you're a rookie forward, you need to be at the top of the field in terms of points; I can't see Read factoring into the rookie scoring race given where he's likely to be playing in the Flyers lineup.

__________________
I deride your truth handling abilities
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:29 PM
  #32
flountown
Registered User
 
flountown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
No no, one college signing clearly makes up for all the numbskullery.
Are you secretly BroadStreetHockey? Always the pessimists, never positive it seems...


flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:31 PM
  #33
CavemanLawyer
Registered User
 
CavemanLawyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ocean City, MD
Posts: 1,111
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
Because a TSN analyst (Bob McKenzie) picks Matt Read as his 'preseason' Calder Trophy winner. This is somehow redeeming to Paul Holmgren? Lets not count our chickens just yet.
When people are saying Lilja is some colossal failure and proof Homer is a moron...before he's even played 1 damn game, I think we can let the pendulum swing both ways here and count it good for Homey before Read has even played one game. So they cancel out, fair and fair. Homer has a net gain of 0 reputation from these events. Now he must roll his D20 to see if he gets any racial bonuses, and lets just ask our dungeon master what the percentages are.

CavemanLawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:34 PM
  #34
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,197
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Hmm example? Him not knowing about the CBA is pretty factual. There is no debating that. But player wise?

There is a difference between the two statements. Bad in the past = higher probability of being bad in the future (see Shelly signing, Zherdev, Lilja, Walker, etc). Unknown in the past = unknown in the future (see rookies like Read, Schenn, Couturier). Does that make sense? Its hard to explain it.

I am confused as what you are trying to argue. If we see he makes a bad move, we criticize it. When we see he makes a good move we say good job. I think that is pretty simple. It is just human nature though to focus more on that bad than good. Every team and pretty much everything in the world is like that.
Do I really need to argue this? Look at all the threads regarding recent moves. Good moves receive minor "attaboys" from posters. "Bad" moves, even before the player/pick/whatever has stepped on the ice, and Homer is horrible and should be fired. I'm not saying you can't criticize moves as soon as they are made, all I am saying is that this board is very inconsistent, as pointed out in this thread. I say this is a good move and vindicates Homer, someone says it is premature and this means nothing (which is what is said every time a good move is made). When a "bad" move is made it is fine to freak out and criticize and there is no need to wait because everyone is smarter than Homer.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:38 PM
  #35
decadentia
Registered User
 
decadentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
Every time I come to read this forum it just seems like bickering from some jaded broken up couple, can't we just discuss the topic at hand (Matt Read, being given props). Christ. Rational discussion lately has gone way out the window, never used to be like this here.

I actually did catch him finally, definitely puts in a lot of effort. Not quite sure he'd be calder material, but he has some experience on the other kids for sure. Hopefully we don't bury him on a 4th line and he gets a good chance this season to prove himself. Pretty good underdog story when you think of it though, eh?

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:45 PM
  #36
DUHockey9
Registered User
 
DUHockey9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hogwarts
Country: United States
Posts: 4,472
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Do I really need to argue this? Look at all the threads regarding recent moves. Good moves receive minor "attaboys" from posters. "Bad" moves, even before the player/pick/whatever has stepped on the ice, and Homer is horrible and should be fired. I'm not saying you can't criticize moves as soon as they are made, all I am saying is that this board is very inconsistent, as pointed out in this thread. I say this is a good move and vindicates Homer, someone says it is premature and this means nothing (which is what is said every time a good move is made). When a "bad" move is made it is fine to freak out and criticize and there is no need to wait because everyone is smarter than Homer.
You totally missed his point....

Some moves, especially those for veteran players, are more easily judged. We have history to use as a basis. Other moves, such as acquiring rookies, are less easily judged. There is no history to base it on.

What is so wrong with this?

If we went and signed Mike York, I'd say Homer is a moron because we know Mike York sucks. If we went and signed the 4th highest scorer or something, in the NCAA I'd say "hmmm. cool. let's see what happens here."

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:47 PM
  #37
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 500
Im trying to think of a current/past nhler read reminds me of, anyone have any ideas?

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:02 PM
  #38
DeflatedFootball7
Registered User
 
DeflatedFootball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Belleville
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
Im trying to think of a current/past nhler read reminds me of, anyone have any ideas?
Look at his number and think former Flyers.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:33 PM
  #39
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
Look at his number and think former Flyers.

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:34 PM
  #40
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
WOW he even kinda looks like him in that picture

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:38 PM
  #41
DeflatedFootball7
Registered User
 
DeflatedFootball7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Belleville
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,942
vCash: 500
BSH at it again.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...-what-the-hell

Sometimes they can be so damn negative. It seems they get even worse when it comes to college prospects though. Testuwide, Holmstrom, Read etc. They all get a horrible rep right from the get go.

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:41 PM
  #42
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,217
vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...-what-the-hell

Sometimes they can be so damn negative. It seems they get even worse when it comes to college prospects though. Testuwide, Holmstrom, Read etc. They all get a horrible rep right from the get go.
Was anything said that was incorrect? Their concerns are very plausible.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:45 PM
  #43
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,771
vCash: 500
I stopped reading their articles and don't even go to their website because of the pessimistic attitude they have towards all the Flyer's move and players. I swear they will find something bad to say about Giroux (and we know that's not possible) I enjoyed waking up and reading all the info on the Flyer's they supply but now there's no sense in even visiting their website, makes you come out disheartened and thinking the Flyer's will suck this year.

But to each their own and people like them and dislike them. I'm definitely in the ladder

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:20 PM
  #44
BringBackStevens
Registered User
 
BringBackStevens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 11,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan9180 View Post
I stopped reading their articles and don't even go to their website because of the pessimistic attitude they have towards all the Flyer's move and players. I swear they will find something bad to say about Giroux (and we know that's not possible) I enjoyed waking up and reading all the info on the Flyer's they supply but now there's no sense in even visiting their website, makes you come out disheartened and thinking the Flyer's will suck this year.

But to each their own and people like them and dislike them. I'm definitely in the ladder
Maybe they will suck?

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:42 PM
  #45
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB
 
dingbathero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: St. John's, NL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,675
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
Im trying to think of a current/past nhler read reminds me of, anyone have any ideas?
Dave Poulin for his size
Sami Kap for his hustle
SORTA like Kevin Dineen in the face.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:49 PM
  #46
Snipsnap12
Registered User
 
Snipsnap12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,844
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dingbathero View Post
Dave Poulin for his size
Sami Kap for his hustle
SORTA like Kevin Dineen in the face.
I was thinking sami as well just because he seems so versatile, pk, 4th line to 1st, and we saw him on the point on the powerplay in pre season.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:20 PM
  #47
LetsGoFlyers1825
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 754
vCash: 50
If one thing is wrong with player them and Homer are awful, but they never get credit when it is due. I remember last year people on here just complaining about how awful this team was and how we were so far removed from a Cup (Yes, saying this after a trip to the Finals) and then we turn around and finish 2nd. I dont see how you guys are over the Lilja signing, it is a lot better than having Bart back there. Not to mention you guys are still sad about Richards. He was my favorite player, I am over it. We got a great return, we got a goalie (I will admit his contract is terrible) out of it, and we have real prospects. I am sure I could have asked in March would you rather: A) Keep Bob and Leighton or B) Overpay a top goalie and the top answer would have been B. God forbid something drastic happens. Like it or not, moaning about what has happened wont reverse it so take it for what is. I am happy hockey is 2 days away, some of you are still caught up in June.

LetsGoFlyers1825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:21 PM
  #48
jd2210
Registered Non User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Great White North
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,496
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
Im trying to think of a current/past nhler read reminds me of, anyone have any ideas?
todd marchant in the 90's

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:46 PM
  #49
Prongo
Beer
 
Prongo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 13,771
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
Maybe they will suck?
I understand that they might have a learning curve with such a young team now. I am definitely willing to wait it out on this season to see how they do. I don't want to say they will win the stanley cup or even say they will suck without seeing them start to play meaningful games.

However with Giroux and the strides he has made to become a premiere center in this league and all the young talent surrounding him I am much more optimistic about this team than i was when they traded Richy and Carts. The team has excellent players in it still and extremely deep blueline with Prongo back at full health. Bryz is gonna be a stud and i feel bad for people who say the guy isnt a premiere goalie in the league because for him to become a Flyer we had to let some of our better players go. (I know stop beating the dead horse).

The real reason I am optimistic heading into this season is mainly because of Claude Giroux. He will be given every opportunity to make this team his in the next few years and I hope he takes advantage of it. Matt read also has shown the ability to be one hell of a pickup. He has great speed and works his ass off when hes on the ice. Although he isnt even the flyer i would pick to win the Calder i wouldnt be surprised whatsoever if he comes out and has a great year.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:49 PM
  #50
MsWoof
Registered User
 
MsWoof's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoFlyers1825 View Post
If one thing is wrong with player them and Homer are awful, but they never get credit when it is due. I remember last year people on here just complaining about how awful this team was and how we were so far removed from a Cup (Yes, saying this after a trip to the Finals) and then we turn around and finish 2nd. I dont see how you guys are over the Lilja signing, it is a lot better than having Bart back there. Not to mention you guys are still sad about Richards. He was my favorite player, I am over it. We got a great return, we got a goalie (I will admit his contract is terrible) out of it, and we have real prospects. I am sure I could have asked in March would you rather: A) Keep Bob and Leighton or B) Overpay a top goalie and the top answer would have been B. God forbid something drastic happens. Like it or not, moaning about what has happened wont reverse it so take it for what is. I am happy hockey is 2 days away, some of you are still caught up in June.
The problem is Holmgren overpays for more than just a goalie. See Shelley, Lilja, Leighton for starters. There is no way anyone was offering any of these 3 more than a year yet they got 3, 2 and 2 respectively. Holmgren doesn't do anything in a small, rational way and that's my problem with him.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.