HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

TSN: Habs will win east.

Old
10-03-2011, 10:17 AM
b in vancouver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
wow

you are optomistic
Always.
I've been a Bruins and Minnesota Vikings fan for the past 35 years and without a bit of optimism then the cumulative heart-breaking gut-wrenching soul-destroying losses of these two franchises would've turned me off sports a long time ago. (although admittedly I'm finding it difficult to muster much positivity about the Vikings anymore)

I wouldn't rule it out though.

Math Man - I do really enjoy your stats. My question about shooting percentage is whether you see a difference between teams that are in the lead during the game and teams that trail. Or if you ever break it down by period. I don't really look at team shooting %.

I would think that strong defensive teams with a quick transition game (which Montreal was always amazing at - killed me) would generally have the highest shooting %.

And that a 2nd category would be that teams protecting a lead would have an inflated shooting % as they don't tend to push the play in the 3rd as much or throw as many desperate shots on net.

I would think that both of these situations would also effect a team's puck possession.

I'm not sure if either one affected the Bruins this past year - I'd have to look a bit more - just curious if those are factored in?

b in vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:39 AM
b in vancouver

I should've just phrased it as - Do you find, as a general rule, that puck possession and shooting % have an inverse relationship?

And hopefully I never derailed your thread too much. Promise - no more. Thanks.

b in vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 10:43 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by b in vancouver View Post
Math Man - I do really enjoy your stats. My question about shooting percentage is whether you see a difference between teams that are in the lead during the game and teams that trail. Or if you ever break it down by period. I don't really look at team shooting %.
Good thought, and you are correct. This has been indeed been studied, and teams that take the lead do tend to shoot less and have better shooting percentage and teams that trail, the reverse, which explains some small amount of the Bruins' percentages.

Which is why statheads break out score-tied and score-close data from the rest, and turns out Boston was pedestrian on puck possession and inordinately fortunate on percentages there as well.

Team shooting percentage is mostly luck and reverts strongly to the mean. Boston is weird; over the last for years they've gone really low-really high-really low-really high, but that's mostly the luck of the draw. Expect their real talent to be somewhere in the middle, along with everyone else. Montreal was second-worst to New Jersey, and tied with the Boston club of last year; even allowing that their shooting talent might be below-average (iffy), this season would still be a massive outlier.

MathMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 11:51 AM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Early ESPN Power Rankings from that idiot Burnside:

18 (0) Canadiens 0-0-0

They're not big enough up front and are suspect along the blue line, and it's too much to ask netminder Carey Price to repeat last season's success. Plus, Erik Cole is not built for the Montreal spotlight.

WTF ?????

McSorleyStick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 01:08 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post

18 (0) Canadiens 0-0-0

They're not big enough up front and are suspect along the blue line, and it's too much to ask netminder Carey Price to repeat last season's success. Plus, Erik Cole is not built for the Montreal spotlight.

WTF ?????
The ESPN staff have amazing hookups for crystal meth didn't you know? Always ask the ESPN guys if you need a good hook up for any drug, they get the strongest stuff available

http://espn.go.com/nhl/powerrankings

Seriously though it isn't even where the habs are placed that makes me facepalm, it's rather the teams he used in order to place us that low.

Minnesota? LOL.
Florida? Mega-LOL x50
Rags? I can live with but I doubt they finish ahead of us, they might even allow the leafs to make it into 8th /facepalm
St. Louis? Yeah right... again I can live with it but I have my doubts.

Then looking at the list Isles/Avs right up are *****? Never. Both these teams will be lottery pickers. Guy doesn't even likely watch Hockey, and Boston will never outdo Vancouver.

The Ducks are also questionable imo.

I mean put our healthy roster next to Florida's, then put our starting roster versus theirs... it really doesn't take a genius to see they're not even in the same league as us.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 03:56 PM
bipolarhabfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by McSorleyStick View Post

18 (0) Canadiens 0-0-0

WTF ?????
WTF indeed. It is not about size. It is all about skill and the Habs have it this year in spades. We finally have three scoring lines and a fourth line that will keep the puck in the oppositions end. As well, Subban and Markov, when healthy, will be one of the best tandems in the league. Lastly, Price is Price; the best in the game.

As for the Cole comment, he will handle the spotlight in Montreal. He torched us whenever he was playing here and signed with us because of the fans and atmosphere at the Bell Centre.

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-03-2011, 04:17 PM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
whoever it was on tsn that said the habs will win the east is delusional. That being said i still like our team and would be very dissapointed if we don't make the playoffs
We have a good team this year people. On paper? No, not the best.. but we have a lot of intangibles that seem to be missed by people because, well, they're intangible, and for some reason that makes them non-factors.. it's all in how you look at it.

I for one consider the intangibles, mainly the leadership on this team, and how it permeates the entire organization. You have guys like Gionta, Gomez and Cammy (brought in by Gainey) keeping everyone together, on the same page.. you don't have the cliques from a few years ago.. you have a strong team full of professionals who all want the same thing, and these guys have the credentials and past success (Gionta, Gomez, anyway, and Cammy to an extent, such a hard worker) to lead this team in ways that Ovechkin for example (at this point) is not mentally capable of doing.

I have a really good feeling about this year.

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 02:11 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcarle View Post
The panelist in question has got to be Craig Button. I'm begiing to love his Hab homerism. His enthusiasm for the Habs is refreshing....and something I've never seen on TSN, a station which never gives them credit.

Remember last year, after Tinordi failed to make the US world junior team, doesn't put up big numbers in the OHL (even though the expectations were not that high to begin with), and Button puts him as his biggest jumper in his redo of the 2010 draft.

I like this guy.....
It's probably not Button since he said on TH2N that we'll be the team taking the biggest step back in the east this year.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naoned View Post
It's probably not Button since he said on TH2N that we'll be the team taking the biggest step back in the east this year.
Yeah, both he and Steve Simmons(who cares) picked the Habs as the biggest step back, and they both said they'd miss the playoffs.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:47 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

I know it's on right now so who picked the Habs to win the east?

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
I know it's on right now so who picked the Habs to win the east?
I think we find out tonight in their 2 1/2 hour long show season preview.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote