HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Is Couturier making the team?

Old
10-04-2011, 03:25 AM
xifentoozlerix

vCash: 500
None of this matters if Couturier sticks. It is up to him to decide what ends up transpiring.

xifentoozlerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 05:10 AM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
As I understand it:

If he plays more than 9 games, they can't slide the contract.

If he plays more than 10 games, they he has to count on the 50.

Any sane individual wouldn't make a decision on second scenario play without first making a decision on the first.

At this point, I would say this is far more likely to reflect a miscommunication between the source and the reporter than the Flyers planning to use Couturier for exactly 10 games.

Damaged Goods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:02 AM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Couturier essentially gets a 9 game NHL tryout without burning a year off his entry level contract. If he plays 10 or more games they will officially burn off the first year of his entry level deal even if they later send him back to juniors. If he gets sent back to juniors prior to a 10th game in the NHL then the contract slides to next year. The first year of his entry level deal would start next season.

According to Dave Isaac Holmgrem seems to be under the (wrong) impression that he can play a 10th game and his contract still won't count. If Holmgren allows him to play 10 and send him back to juniors he will waste the first year of his entry level deal.

The language is clear in the CBA, if he plays 10 games or more, the contract can't slide.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:33 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

10th game is 10/27 at home against Winnipeg. Assuming that we see Couturier in Boston Thursday night, that's just shy of a month for someone to tell Holmgren and Co. what the deal is. I'm not worried yet -- it's not like everything goes into effect this Thursday.

Someone remind me, when we had this issue with Sbisa, there was discussion about the 10 games being played, right? Did Holmgren know what he was doing then?

edit: Here's something from Panaccio in 2008 (http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...523&feedID=717)

Quote:
Unless Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren has a radical change of heart come Thursday morning, 18-year-old rookie defenseman Luca Sbisa will remain a Flyer for the rest of the season and not go back to juniors.

Holmgren told CSNPhilly.com Monday afternoon that, “I’m not going to do anything to hurt this club, and right now, Sbisa looks pretty good.”

Other sources tell CSNPhilly.com that Sbisa won’t go back to his junior club.

The Flyers are in Atlanta on Tuesday. That would be Sbisa’s ninth game. Once Sbisa plays his 10th game, presumably, Thursday here against the Islanders, he can’t return to junior without having used up the first-year of his entry-level contract.

He can return to junior any time after his 10th game, but once he plays 10, the Flyers are on the hook. Also, if Sbisa plays 40 games it counts as a year’s service toward eventual unrestricted free agency.
Looks like it was pretty clear back in 2008.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:49 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
10th game is 10/27 at home against Winnipeg. Assuming that we see Couturier in Boston Thursday night, that's just shy of a month for someone to tell Holmgren and Co. what the deal is. I'm not worried yet -- it's not like everything goes into effect this Thursday.

Someone remind me, when we had this issue with Sbisa, there was discussion about the 10 games being played, right? Did Holmgren know what he was doing then?

edit: Here's something from Panaccio in 2008 (http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...523&feedID=717)

Looks like it was pretty clear back in 2008.
Good find! Let's hope it is clear then.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:42 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
Couturier essentially gets a 9 game NHL tryout without burning a year off his entry level contract. If he plays 10 or more games they will officially burn off the first year of his entry level deal even if they later send him back to juniors. If he gets sent back to juniors prior to a 10th game in the NHL then the contract slides to next year. The first year of his entry level deal would start next season.

According to Dave Isaac Holmgrem seems to be under the (wrong) impression that he can play a 10th game and his contract still won't count. If Holmgren allows him to play 10 and send him back to juniors he will waste the first year of his entry level deal.
ohhhhh!, ok that makes sense then.

that's very concerning, actually. i knew that if he played more than 10 games that his contract would count against the limit, but i had no idea that it would negate the first year of his ELC. someone send homer a telegraph or something. maybe a currier pigeon.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Renegade Stylings
Tame Impala

vCash: 3333
I find it hard to believe that people with thousands of posts still don't understand the 9 game rule when it comes to prospects and contracts.

Coming into camp I thought it was Schenn's job to lose and it looks like he has, with the help of an injury.

I think we'll see SC get several regular season games, but maybe not the full 9. Once Schenn is healthy and ready to contribute for the Flyers, he will be recalled and Couturier will be sent back to the Q.

Renegade Stylings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:43 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post
I find it hard to believe that people with thousands of posts still don't understand the 9 game rule when it comes to prospects and contracts.

Coming into camp I thought it was Schenn's job to lose and it looks like he has, with the help of an injury.

I think we'll see SC get several regular season games, but maybe not the full 9. Once Schenn is healthy and ready to contribute for the Flyers, he will be recalled and Couturier will be sent back to the Q.
We're not so concerned with posters on hfboards not knowing the fundamentals of the CBA, more so that Holmgren and Hanrahan doesn't.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:43 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade Stylings View Post

Ok dude.

I understand the 9 game rule; I did not know that after 10 games, the first year of a players ELC gets wiped away.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 04:48 PM
tuckrr

This is all pointless, homer knows the 10 game rule.

People calling him an idiot, are idiots.

Now, despite the rule, will couter make the team?

Thats worth discussing.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 04:55 PM
Flyerfan808

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post

People calling him an idiot, are idiots.

Now, despite the rule, will couter make the team?

Thats worth discussing
I am excited to find out.

I am concerned that he still needs to build strength, but his game looked pretty good. He knows what to do with the puck.

also worth discussing... if he makes the team we need a different nickname for him other than "couter."

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 05:05 PM
mirimon

Well, we need to rid ourselves of a contract before he can. Maybe someone picks up Betts, or maybe we can do a Legein for future considerations type of deal?

I wouldn't mind it terribly if he went back to juniors, but if we can fit both him and Schenn on the roster while still having some cap space left, then I could live with that as well given what they've shown so far. It will be an interesting start to the season personnel-wise, that's for sure.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 06:53 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post

I am concerned that he still needs to build strength, but his game looked pretty good. He knows what to do with the puck.

also worth discussing... if he makes the team we need a different nickname for him other than "couter."
That's a discussion i want to actually have lol...

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 07:47 PM
Invictus146

Was looking into this - definitely seeing it as a 9 game tryout...

Probably just some salary cap shenanigans until Schenn can fit under the cap (when he can't meet his bonuses - http://flyersfocus.wordpress.com/201...tics/#more-571).

Invictus146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:45 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus146 View Post
Was looking into this - definitely seeing it as a 9 game tryout...

Probably just some salary cap shenanigans until Schenn can fit under the cap (when he can't meet his bonuses - http://flyersfocus.wordpress.com/201...tics/#more-571).
Apparently, if he sits even one NHL game, he drops from 3.1 million to around 1.75 million because his bonuses vanish. That's some cap-friendly love.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:35 AM
OzFlyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Well, we need to rid ourselves of a contract before he can. Maybe someone picks up Betts, or maybe we can do a Legein for future considerations type of deal?
Yea, I think Homer felt Betts was the best candidate to be picked up by another team. I hope he lands somewhere sunny!

OzFlyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:31 PM
tmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
As an NHL GM, I'd hope he knows the rules of the trade. Like the "Contracts that begin after age 35" rule (Pronger). The "50% decline contract" rule (Talbot). The "No offering contracts to undrafted players who are still draft-eligible the following season" rule (Hyka).

Of course he knows the rules. He's demonstrated such command over understanding the rules before.

tmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:53 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmg View Post
As an NHL GM, I'd hope he knows the rules of the trade. Like the "Contracts that begin after age 35" rule (Pronger). The "50% decline contract" rule (Talbot). The "No offering contracts to undrafted players who are still draft-eligible the following season" rule (Hyka).

Of course he knows the rules. He's demonstrated such command over understanding the rules before.
The "waiver exemption rule" (Bartulis).

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:00 PM
ApeZilla

Send a message via AIM to ApeZilla
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzFlyer View Post
Yea, I think Homer felt Betts was the best candidate to be picked up by another team. I hope he lands somewhere sunny!
It's always sunny here though

ApeZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:16 PM
ELab2

Am I the only one that didn't find Couturier that impressive. He looked like a typical NHL player 75% of the time, the other 25% he looked outmatched mentally and physically. To me that's not NHL ready.

I certainly think Schenn, although he produced less, looked much more equipped and basically never looked out of place.

ELab2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:24 PM
tymed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELab2 View Post
Am I the only one that didn't find Couturier that impressive. He looked like a typical NHL player 75% of the time, the other 25% he looked outmatched mentally and physically. To me that's not NHL ready.

I certainly think Schenn, although he produced less, looked much more equipped and basically never looked out of place.

I hope his stay is nothing more than a cup of coffee... I dont think he looks like anything more than a competent 4th, top out 3rd liner right now. He is a bonerack aswell and in danger of being injured. I think it is the complete wrong route to take with him by keeping him up here for more than 9 games.

That being said, the QM is not the place for him either. so in my opinion 9 games with the club and back to the QM is the best route here for his development. playing 3rd/4th line duties will only stunt his offensive growth.

Ofcourse, going to the AHL would have been the ideal option, but yeah.

It has been a while since we had a top prospect so I would like to see us not jump the gun on him.
Here's to hoping that this year he's here for a good time, not a long time

tymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Foreverinour

i think schenn will be called up soon and take his spot..but if couturier holds his own for 9 games, do you think its worth keeping him on the roster and play some games here and there or if anyone is injured? basically is playing 9 straight games, then 10-15 (guestimate) random games in the NHL better than a full year in juniors for him?

Foreverinour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:03 AM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
The "waiver exemption rule" (Bartulis).
The "Don't sign goons long-term after 1978" rule. The "Don't sign mediocre journeyman goaltenders to multi-year contracts" rule. The "Always wear a bike helmet" rule.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:30 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post

How about Cootesy?

We can have Coatesy interviewing Cootesy as the player of the game...

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:41 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandlansd View Post
How about Cootesy?

We can have Coatesy interviewing Cootesy as the player of the game...
Couturier I think means like clothes maker or fashion designer or something. How about we call him Calvin Klein or something like that?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote