HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Winchester signed. 1 year $725k

Old
10-04-2011, 08:05 PM
landshark
Beat L. A.!

vCash: 500
in regards to cap space. because this is the last year of the CBA the Sharks are keeping more cushion/cap space due to something not carrying over to next year, capwise, as it normally would if this were not the last year of the CBA?

I thought i remember reading something here earlier in the offseason about this situation.

landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJSharks2010 View Post
Even with Havlat out, I HATE the idea of Mcginn playing the second line. We really need to get a good scoring winger who can play the 3rd line, but is capable of stepping into the top 6. Because if any of our top 6 forwards get hurt for an extended period of time, we're stuck giving a borderline NHLer top 6 minutes simply because he's our only player outside the top 6 with any offensive upside whatsoever.
If there's anyone that could bring the best out of McGinn on a scoring line, it would be Couture. It's worth a shot. He's 23 so he can still make something out of himself.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
in regards to cap space. because this is the last year of the CBA the Sharks are keeping more cushion/cap space due to something not carrying over to next year, capwise, as it normally would if this were not the last year of the CBA?

I thought i remember reading something here earlier in the offseason about this situation.
That had/has to do with bonus'.

Well, that was another in a long series of regrettable life choices
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:14 PM
landshark
Beat L. A.!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post

Thanks LZ. That's it, the bonus comes off this year's cap. I thought there was something about LTIR as well?

Old
10-04-2011, 08:32 PM
kdb209
Global Moderator

Quote:

Quote:
Yup. All possible Performance Bonuses - earned or not - count against the cap, but normally a team is allowed to exceed the cap by up to 7.5% due to bonuses. If at the end of the year the actual bonuses earned put a team over the cap, that excess would be carried over to the next year's cap. This year (and any year which could have been the final year of the CBA due to a couple of NHLPA options) the Performance Bonus Cushion is not in effect and teams are no longer permitted to exceed the cap due to bonuses.

According to Cap Geek, the only Sharks with Performance Bonuses are Couture ($425K) and Wingels ($187K) - so the Sharks have ~$600K less in cap room than they would have had in a normal year with the Performance Bonus Cushion in effect.

Quote:
Thanks LZ. That's it, the bonus comes off this year's cap. I thought there was something about LTIR as well?
Nope - there is nothing different about LTIR this year.

kdb209 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:34 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
LTIR Cap wise only comes into play when you reach the Cap ceiling and then allows you to go over by the amount the injured players cap hit is. I have never heard or been able to find anything that indicates it carries over. KDB or someone else would have to chime in to say otherwise.

EDIT: And KDB makes my post pointless

Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:43 PM
landshark
Beat L. A.!

Quote:
LTIR Cap wise only comes into play when you reach the Cap ceiling and then allows you to go over by the amount the injured players cap hit is. I have never heard or been able to find anything that indicates it carries over. KDB or someone else would have to chime in to say otherwise.
Ah, thanks again. I think that's where I was getting confused.

I was thinking that if the amount of $ spent on the replacements for the LTIR folks went over the adjusted ceiling that would come off next year's cap.

Oh, and to get back on topic, i'm really happy for Winchester. He's no Toews, but i think he'll make a more than adequate scape goat/physical 4th liner.

I mean, it's hard to be so hard on the kids like McGinn and Ferriero and McIntyre. They're young and should be able to learn/do what needs to be done.

Although, i'm with the contingent that claims McIntyre is a mass hallucination. (see Z. Michalek)

And Winny is willing to go get punched in the face and kicked in the nards for the team. (respectively)

Hope that carries over to the season now that he's under contract.

edit: Thanks KDB! I was typing while you were.

Old
10-05-2011, 11:48 AM
Clowe Me

For some reason, I keep wanting to call Winchester "big-chester".

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:06 AM
dwood16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
For some reason, I keep wanting to call Winchester "big-chester".
I keep wanting to call him Wallin ...or soft.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote