HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal @ Toronto OCT 6th 7:00PM EST

Closed Thread

Old
10-04-2011, 06:58 PM
Bullsmith

vCash: 500
Season hasn't started yet and there is more than a whiff of panic on these boards. On 990, too, though not as much. Not sure what to make of it.

On paper we're a better team. You'd think replacing Benoit Pouliot with Eric Cole would be an upgrade, but according to some having a big scoring winger like Cole on the third line is sign we're mishandling the player, not improving the team.

Old
10-04-2011, 06:59 PM
habsrule22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
I guess that's interesting, though I don't put much stock in it since it's just speculation from Dubé rather than something Martin said.

I imagine that Cole is being put on the 3rd line to help protect Desharnais. We saw him struggle in the last two pre-season games. The Desharnais line was struggling with Tampa's 3rd-line they were matched against getting torched by Tampa's 1st line in about 3 minutes of head-to-head ice-time in the first game. Kostitsyn's a pretty good two-way player but Cole is a step above Kostitsyn and Cole ll really help Desharnais defensively.

When Eller is back and bumps Desharnais to the wing or the 4th line I bet we'll see Kostitsyn and Cole switched. Until then giving Desharnais some defensive support is a good idea.
I think your right. Unless the Pleks line is on fire. At some point the switch will occur. Isn't a nice problem to have, last year we had Moen on the top line, now we have extra top 6 forward on the third line and Moen is on the 4 th line.

Old
10-04-2011, 07:09 PM
Mynameismark*

Our 4th line is sooo soft. Does Martin really know what the hell he's doing?? Keep Blunden, peg him in with Moen and then when White gets back you have a legit 4th line. If you want you can rotate that useless piece of garbage in Darche there with Blunden.

Right now we have a dman starting as a forward again(god how I hate that, but Martin just loves soft dmen anywhere he can plug them)..

Old
10-04-2011, 07:30 PM
NewHabsEra*

I recall a Canes fan saying Cole wasnt the best guy to send on a PP but I personally liked what I saw in pre season.. I didnt pay attention to Cole on the defensive side of the game in pre season, just remember some flashes where he wasnt impressive.. But still, it was only pre season and the vets usually dont push the machine too high.. On the other side, I think A.Kost clicked pretty well with Cam and Pleks in the last game against the Bolts and pencilling him on the third line to start the season is maybe not the proper thing to do for his moral.. Its his spot to lose and we all know about A.Kost's consistency issue so it probably wont take long till Martin juggles his lines.. personally I could see guys like MaxPac A.Kost and Cole alterning on the third line.. Thats called depth, and the third line this year will be more offensively minded so its nothing to worry about..

Old
10-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNiner View Post
I'm fine with anything in practice and pre-season, but if Cole really doesn't get any PP time on Thursday I'll be as confused as everyone else. If he gets PP #1 time and plays with Darche/Desharnais 5 on 5, he'll still end up with 16-20 minutes, which is fine.

If Cole starts the year on the 3rd line you can count on us rolling all 3 lines evenly during 5 on 5 scenarios. At least one would expect such...
Cole really isn't a good 5 on 4 player, his numbers there for the last 4 years I've looked at are far worse than any of the other top-six forwards. His strength is on 5 on 5 and without Eller that third line is running a bit weak so he might be needed there. No reason he and Kostitsyn can't switch around later.

Old
10-04-2011, 07:31 PM
Jyroe Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mynameismark View Post
Our 4th line is sooo soft. Does Martin really know what the hell he's doing?? Keep Blunden, peg him in with Moen and then when White gets back you have a legit 4th line. If you want you can rotate that useless piece of garbage in Darche there with Blunden.

Right now we have a dman starting as a forward again(god how I hate that, but Martin just loves soft dmen anywhere he can plug them)..
I totally agree, our 4th line should not have soft defenceman on there. We should have picked up a 4th line, what the frick was wrong with Eric Belanger? He is stuck on a bad Oiler team.

Old
10-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Cole really isn't a good 5 on 4 player, his numbers there for the last 4 years I've looked at are far worse than any of the other top-six forwards. His strength is on 5 on 5 and without Eller that third line is running a bit weak so he might be needed there. No reason he and Kostitsyn can't switch around later.
Yeah, I heard Cole isn't really a PP guy anyway. Most of his goals came on 5 on 5 play, in fact that's the main reason we needed him. He'll probably get his chances, but the Habs needed 5 on 5 scoring.

We aren't talking about a do everything, 40 goal scorer after all.

Old
10-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Stradale

Quote:

You stay classy Mark.

26 pts in 59 pts is far from being a useless piece of garbage.

Old
10-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Et le But

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stradale View Post
You stay classy Mark.

26 pts in 59 pts is far from being a useless piece of garbage.
But can he fight?

Old
10-04-2011, 07:36 PM
S1C1L1AN78

Anyone else see this altercation Pacioretty and Subban ? is it just me or subban tries to take out his knee ?

http://tvasports.ca/video/1200245952001
sorry if this should be posted elsewhere didnt know where to post it ... discuss ...

Old
10-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I'm adding 985sports.ca to my list of non-credible sources.

This is a load of garbage imo.
Yeah, this whole article was unbeleivably stupid, i personaly think Dube is WAY off and that the cole situation is pretty close to what Roke posted

Cole makes our 3rd line better, and AK's leash in the top 6 is shorter than EVER this year

Old
10-04-2011, 07:47 PM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:

I have to agree with you I can smell it from Victoria BC.

Old
10-04-2011, 07:51 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
I recall a Canes fan saying Cole wasnt the best guy to send on a PP but I personally liked what I saw in pre season.. I didnt pay attention to Cole on the defensive side of the game in pre season, just remember some flashes where he wasnt impressive.. But still, it was only pre season and the vets usually dont push the machine too high.. On the other side, I think A.Kost clicked pretty well with Cam and Pleks in the last game against the Bolts and pencilling him on the third line to start the season is maybe not the proper thing to do for his moral.. Its his spot to lose and we all know about A.Kost's consistency issue so it probably wont take long till Martin juggles his lines.. personally I could see guys like MaxPac A.Kost and Cole alterning on the third line.. Thats called depth, and the third line this year will be more offensively minded so its nothing to worry about..
After reading a lot garbage it is good to see a post that makes sense. Keep posting NHE!!!

Old
10-04-2011, 07:55 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:

What a joke that article is! In pre-season he isn't playing hard... Man do they ever have nothing to write about.

Old
10-04-2011, 08:05 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

K heres my 2 cents. I myself no matter what the decision made will agree with the coaching staff no matter what decision they make. This is because IT IS THERE JOB, not ours, to know what works, whos clicking and what needs to be changed. We as fans may have saw something with Cole that maybe the coaching staff didnt see, so im gonna go with the benefit of the doubt and agree with J.Martin and his decision to put Cole on the 3rd line to start the season(assuming thats what happens in TDot on Thursday) We have the depth to be able to put him in on the 3rd line and I think AKost is given his chance to show if he deserves to be in the top 6 in the first few games when we are without Eller, White, ect.

Old
10-04-2011, 08:15 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4life74 View Post
K heres my 2 cents. I myself no matter what the decision made will agree with the coaching staff no matter what decision they make. This is because IT IS THERE JOB, not ours, to know what works, whos clicking and what needs to be changed.
Are you a Habs fan

It is your responsibility to critique everything as a Hab fan. We need to send you for reprogramming

Old
10-04-2011, 08:21 PM
habsrule22

Cole is a vet, even by placing him on the 3 rd line. He will give a total effort, new team and all. Where as Andrei, he will bust is ass off to stick there. WIN -WIN situation. When eller is back, the situation can be re evaluated.

Old
10-04-2011, 08:24 PM
guest1467

People really over estimate the importance to lineups and line combinations. Its game 1 for christ sakes, let the boys play.

Old
10-04-2011, 08:26 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Experience has shown that Kostitsyn doesn't fare well on a line with Gomez but who knows, maybe Gomez has straightened out his game over the summer so that he can now play with Kostitsyn. As for Cole with Gomez, he'd have to play at left wing, so that might not be a good idea.

Old
10-04-2011, 08:44 PM
guest1467

Quote:
Darche was probably our best utility forward last season.

To call him a useless piece of trash, reflects on your intelligence, and maturity(or lack there of).

Last edited by Mike8: 10-04-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old
10-04-2011, 08:56 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Darche does his job extremely well. For the amount paid, he's a reliable energy player who gives you his best. No wonder he was the crutch for Gionta's line last season..

Last edited by Mike8: 10-04-2011 at 10:09 PM.
Old
10-04-2011, 08:57 PM
SB164

As always, the voice of reason:

ArponBasu Arpon Basu
PSA for #Habs fans: Cole was a 2nd unit guy for Carolina's 24th ranked PP last year and scored just 3 PP goals. Was signed for even strength

Cole had 10 PPG in 2007-08. In 202 games since, he's scored 10 PPG

Basically, I am saying #Habs PP does not need fixing (for now). Cole scored 22 of his 26 goals last season at ES. That's where #Habs stunk.

Old
10-04-2011, 09:01 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Are you a Habs fan

It is your responsibility to critique everything as a Hab fan. We need to send you for reprogramming
Haha havent missed a game in the past 4 seasons if that means anything. (and if you didnt catch that, yes iam)

Old
10-05-2011, 12:07 AM
RNiner

We tend to make use of players better then other teams, especially on special teams. Its hard to think a guy like Cole wouldn't be a better player to stand in front of the net on the PP for tips/screens then someone like Darche, who got a decent amount of PP time last year.

Doesn't really matter to me if he only had 3 goals on the PP for Carolina last year, unless the role he was playing is the role I discussed above. If it was fine; I just have a hard time believing a tough, grind-em-out guy with hands like his couldn't be a good PP screen/tip type player.

Edit: As far as the 3rd line goes, I could care less. We'll have 3 scoring lines. As long as he's on one of them, who gives a ****?

Old
10-05-2011, 12:14 AM
Beakermania*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inf1n1te View Post
WTF Martin, are you kidding me!?

You get Cole for 4 years this summer at 4.5 per, but you make him play on the 3rd line with nobody's and not even on the PP? Sigh
Cole scored all of 3 goals for Carolina on the PP last year. He gets more of his points at even strength which is what this team has needed for a long time.... the PP has always been pretty darn good.

I'd rather see Cole on the first line 5 on 5 though. But I think we won't see that until Eller is healthy.

Closed Thread