HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

More cap room = a new D-Man?

Old
10-04-2011, 08:54 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
Voynov, Hickey, Gunnarsson or Franson please. Any of them help the team both now and in the future.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Voynov, Hickey, Gunnarsson or Franson please. Any of them help the team both now and in the future.
First off, I feel bad for Hickey. That name...

Second off, I'd prefer Gunnarson or Franson. I feel like Gunnarson is the safer bet, but Franson has more upside, so it's a tough decision. Franson may be a bit easier to get though as he is slotted in as the 7th dman now and wants out. Either one though, quite frankly, I'd be thrilled to have.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:59 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Because now is definitely the time to deal from an obvious position of weakness on this team. Hey let's just deal Wolski and then Eric Christensen can play as a top 6 LW'er. Smart.

All you're really doing is moving a band-aid to cover up a hole in your arm and moving that band-aid to your knee. When you move the band-aid the original hole will still be there (aka defense might be a trouble spot right now, but trading from a positional weakness doesn't really make things better).
I really don't see how leftwing is such a "position of weakness." We may lack a clear cut 1st line LW but Dubinsky, Fedotenko, Boyle and Zuccarello are all more than capable of playing there. We also have kreider who is likely a year away and hagelin who may come up at some point this year. A lot of us speculated that Wolski would even be bought out after his lackluster performance at the end of last season. If another team thinks he can be useful for them and we can get a capable top4 dman, I don't know how we could turn that down with the question marks surrounding our defense right now. What happens if girardi blocks a shot and misses a few months and Staal misses significant time? Do you need me to post what our defense could potentially look like? Oh no problem, we have Wolski the savior. Who needs defense?

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:01 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
First off, I feel bad for Hickey. That name...

Second off, I'd prefer Gunnarson or Franson. I feel like Gunnarson is the safer bet, but Franson has more upside, so it's a tough decision. Franson may be a bit easier to get though as he is slotted in as the 7th dman now and wants out. Either one though, quite frankly, I'd be thrilled to have.
IMO Gunnarsson has the lowest ceiling but also the lowest risk. He is a #4/5 d-man.

Franson has #3/4, #1 PP type of ceiling as a trigger-man

Voynov has #3/4 offensive d-man, #1 PP ceiling as a QB.

Hickey (See Voynov)

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:03 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
I really don't see how leftwing is such a "position of weakness." We may lack a clear cut 1st line LW but Dubinsky, Fedotenko, Boyle and Zuccarello are all more than capable of playing there. We also have kreider who is likely a year away and hagelin who may come up at some point this year.
Zucc is a RW, not a LW. When Fedotenko or Boyle is your 2nd best LW, that is not depth. And counting on Kreider is not depth, there is always a chance with every prospect that he'll bust. Hagelin is no sure thing either. Basically, in short, without Wolski, we have no LW depth. And about people saying we should buy him out, that was to use that money and replace him with a better LW, not just buy him out for the hell of it.

Old
10-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
IMO Gunnarsson has the lowest ceiling but also the lowest risk. He is a #4/5 d-man.

Franson has #3/4, #1 PP type of ceiling as a trigger-man

Voynov has #3/4 offensive d-man, #1 PP ceiling as a QB.

Hickey (See Voynov)
And after doing some research on Voynov, I wouldn't mind that kid at all, seems like a talent.

Old
10-04-2011, 09:18 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Phaneuf makes too much money, hasn't been too good for 2 years and why move the one player who may have line #1 potential?
Because FreeBird is a leaf fan. Of course he's going to ask for the moon for a player we don't want.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:35 PM
iamitter
Thornton's Hen

vCash: 50
Quote:
Zucc is a RW, not a LW. When Fedotenko or Boyle is your 2nd best LW, that is not depth. And counting on Kreider is not depth, there is always a chance with every prospect that he'll bust. Hagelin is no sure thing either. Basically, in short, without Wolski, we have no LW depth. And about people saying we should buy him out, that was to use that money and replace him with a better LW, not just buy him out for the hell of it.
Pretty sure zukes can play both sides.

iamitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Placid

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamitter View Post
Pretty sure zukes can play both sides.
He can.

Placid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Zuccarello plays both wings and has before. Boyle scored 21 goals on the fourth line last year. He's also only 27. Fedotenko is capable of playing on any line and will work great in the cycle and along the boards while being a smart defensive player. He's never out of place. I disagree that Wolski is some saving grace holding our LW depth together. Most nights he's a complete non-factor. He may put up points next to Richards and Gaborik but even in preseason he's looked exactly the same: an uninvolved floater with no physical game, no forecheck, no speed and not even good enough of a finisher to make up for any of it. He misses chances the same way Avery did. Wide open net? Wolski shoots it wide!

There's also the chance that Parise hits FA in the offseason. It's certainly not something to bank on or put all your eggs in one basket, but if Wolski+ a few spare prospects and a pick can get us a young defenseman who can be both a short term and long term solution, you have to pull the trigger.

Here's a perfectly capable and balanced lineup without Wolski:

Boyle Richards Gaborik
Dubinsky Anisimov Callahan
Fedotenko Stepan Zuccarello
Rupp Christensen Prust

If we can get decent value for Wolski that can help our current defensive uncertainty while also being a potential longterm core fit as well, you'd be crazy not to do it. End of story.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

I really liked Franson's game last year in Nashville (I got to see a lot of him living there). I'd definitely take him on the team.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:33 PM
MorrisWanchuk

What do we have to give up to get Franson?

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:30 AM
Four1 Lead
We got Nylander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
What do we have to give up to get Franson?
One of your top 8 prospects and a pick.

Most likely Christian Thomas.

Four1 Lead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:41 AM
GrizMint

why not Matt Walker as a mid term solution? We have the cap space and we don't give up any assets? Plz any thoughts? we can always send him down but he seems the perfect fit. Mr. Young Brian Boyle thoughts?

GrizMint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:24 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

Franson is probably not going anywhere. He is the kind of player Burke covets. I think the issue in TO is that Komisarek has been injured for the better part of the last 8-12 months or so plus he and Beauchemin have similar styles and with the Dion deal... Komi fell off the list. Quickly fell into a disliked status with leaf fans because he wasn't playing up the contract. Hello Jeff Finger !

The result of the situation was that Beau was sent packing for Gardiner, Komi is healthy and then TO got a gift salary purge from Nashville who wanted no part of Lombardi's 3 million and was willing to package Franson in the deal.

Besides I think Komi is a better fit on Long Island.

I don't believe a deal is coming. No sense in forcing things. See how things shake out over the first week or two, then tinker with the roster. Perhaps Erixon gets the call and doesn't look out of place or perhaps Bell's puck carrying upside manifests itself into an effective month or two.

Its a mistake to force a trade when the team looks great already. Could it be better ? yeah sure, EVERY team can be better.

I would have preferred to see a guy like Scott Hannan on broadway as a UFA (he signed for peanuts in Calgary) rather than trading an asset for a bottom pairing dman.

If something big is coming well then all bets are off.

in conclusion, Franson coming to NY is highly unlikely. Don't forget the Devils are also looking for a puck carrying dman too

donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:25 AM
donpaulo
Capt Barry Beck

double post

Last edited by donpaulo: 10-05-2011 at 06:30 AM.
donpaulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:34 AM
Superstar Carwash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mika Zibanejad View Post
One of your top 8 prospects and a pick.

Most likely Christian Thomas.
I'm quite sure we'd pass then.

Superstar Carwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:56 AM
Ola

BDA:
Scott Niedermayer!

Ola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 06:44 AM
dccuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Bringing in a long term fix is a problem how?

If he is better then Erixon then he's better then Erixon.

If Erixon deserves a spot, and earns one, they will give him his chance.

That kind of depth is never a bad thing.

When it becomes established, you can move pieces to fill other holes at that point.

The Rangers hope to go far this season. No one knows how long Staal will be out.
shipping off a unique asset for a redundant one is bad asset management. especially when our resource pool has several of such assets in the pipeline. when Gunnarson is our 7th d-man, he'll have little value in a trade. Not to mention that his actual value is undefined.

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:37 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
I really liked Franson's game last year in Nashville (I got to see a lot of him living there). I'd definitely take him on the team.
What kind of game does he play?

Is he smart/solid defensively?

To me any offense is gravy, i'm hoping for a real dependable top 4 caliber defenseman for both now and future.

Then we can use some pieces (not Kreider, Miller, or Fasth) to get an impact player at the deadline going into the playoffs.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:45 AM
dccuse

Quote:
What kind of game does he play?

Is he smart/solid defensively?

To me any offense is gravy, i'm hoping for a real dependable top 4 caliber defenseman for both now and future.

Then we can use some pieces (not Kreider, Miller, or Fasth) to get an impact player at the deadline going into the playoffs.
Looks like its erixon, for now.

dccuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:49 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccuse View Post
shipping off a unique asset for a redundant one is bad asset management. especially when our resource pool has several of such assets in the pipeline. when Gunnarson is our 7th d-man, he'll have little value in a trade. Not to mention that his actual value is undefined.
I don't feel Thomas is that unique.

It doesn't have to be Gunnarsson, but a legit top 4 caliber defenseman. We need one, now. No one knows when Staal will return.

Erixon isn't ready. McIlrath is a couple years away. Valentenko, Kundratek, Parlett... none of them are ready.

Thomas wont be ready next year, or the year after that.

Kreider WILL be ready next year. Fasth could be ready as well. Miller the following year.

The Rangers can afford the one-two years for those guys.

Wait 3+ years for Thomas to be physically ready for the NHL, or they can turn that asset into a piece that can help them now and in the future.

For every Tyler Ennis there are hundreds of Dawes. Thomas' chances of being Ennis, let alone his dad are slim.

This team needs a top 4 caliber defenseman now.

Thomas packaged to a team not in contention, could possibly bring back an impact player.

I don't see how that would hurt us at all in the future.

Like I said, Kreider, Miller, and Fasth are not only better overall hockey players but they're also closer to NHL ready.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:51 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Unfortunately for the Rangers we are at an extreme disadvantage. Being in Europe and only having two days till the start of the season, not only was it impossible to make a deal due to location, but I'm sure that GMs were trying to rake Slats over the coals for an inferior product due to the short amount of time till the season starts.
Glad they are at least recalling Erixon then.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:53 AM
Bardof425*

Quote:
Boyle.

Was just throwing some ideas out there.
Boyle is a 4th liner!! Stop the madness.

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:53 AM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Super, just because you dont think Thomas is that great, doesn't mean that the organization shares the same views, which they assuredly don't. Including him in any proposal is just unlikely. He's not going anywhere.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote