HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

RD Adam Larsson (2011, 4th overall, New Jersey) II

Old
10-04-2011, 03:09 AM
vippe

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to vippe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Ohlund....really.... The kid is running the PP as an 18 year old. Give me a list of 18 year old defensmen that ran 1st PP unit as 18 year olds. Larsson will be NJ's top defensmen as early as next year. He may top out as an average #1 or good #2 defensmen. He could, however, become a top 5 defensmen in the league and win a Norris trophy.
Dont sell Ohlund short though.. before his eye injury he was on his way to become a really really good defender. But I'm stoked for Larsson aswell and think he will become a better defender than Ohlund became.

vippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 03:52 AM
richardsequalscup*

Larsson has hardly been incredible on the PP. He got a couple cheesy assists. The Devils fans are just so desperate for any defenseman that can play, they look at him over the garbage they have been using the past 3 years and get excited.

richardsequalscup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 03:59 AM
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius

I still would have preferred we take him over Ryan Nugent-Hopkins who has also had a fantastic exhibition season. How Landeskog and Huberdeau went ahead of him blows my ****ing mind.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 04:03 AM
DuckJet
Poster of the Year

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason MacIsaac View Post
Ohlund....really.... The kid is running the PP as an 18 year old. Give me a list of 18 year old defensmen that ran 1st PP unit as 18 year olds. Larsson will be NJ's top defensmen as early as next year. He may top out as an average #1 or good #2 defensmen. He could, however, become a top 5 defensmen in the league and win a Norris trophy.
I can tell you that by February of last year Fowler was running Anaheim's first PP unit.

DuckJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 04:04 AM
KarmaIsAKiller
Larssonist

Yeah, brah. MDZ is where it's at.

Who needs a poised two-way rookie when you can have a grenade handling waif who likes to skate through the neutral zone and lose possession nine times out of ten? Let's go have fun creaming over a defense that, without its concussed leader, is as middling and more inexperienced than its counterpart across the river. Getting smoked by a Swiss team is just the beginning of a very bright future for the boys in blue.

KarmaIsAKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:45 AM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsequalscup View Post
Larsson has hardly been incredible on the PP. He got a couple cheesy assists. The Devils fans are just so desperate for any defenseman that can play, they look at him over the garbage they have been using the past 3 years and get excited.
He's no Tim Erixon, that's for sure.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovalSNIPE View Post
Preseason

2 games played, 3 Assists.

This kid's gonna be a star. He's been absolutely incredible at the point on the PP. So far he's pretty much made the team, will be paired with Tallinder, and QB the 1st PP unit. And as mentioned before, he already has 3 assists in his first 2 games. What point totals do you expect of him this year?

EDIT: He should actually have 4 assists, but his last one was Kovalchuk's goal that got waved off.
This year? If he plays the entire year about 30 points.

In the future I see him being more of an elite two way player more than a point getter. Kind of like Kenny Jonsson, but I think Larry Robinson will get him to be a lot more aggressive

#66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Clam and Tomato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
They also said he'd never be a PP QB at the NHL level. And yet here we are, and he's penciled in to be running the Devils' first PP unit.
No offense, but isn't being the Devils' PP QB at this point a little like being a #1 RW on the Pens the last couple years? The leading point-getter from the NJ blueline last year had 23 points.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:28 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
I can tell you that by February of last year Fowler was running Anaheim's first PP unit.
Fowler did an excellent job on the PP, I won't get into the rest of his game but he was great on the PP.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:29 AM
SMantzas
Church of Corsi

Quote:
u mad?

I thought it was you who said that Erixon is better than Larsson at the moment, but Larsson in the NHL and Erixon is in the AHL (despite being two years older). And he cant even crack the lineup even with Staal being hurt......

SMantzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:32 AM
Jason MacIsaac
MARS Officer

Send a message via MSN to Jason MacIsaac Send a message via Yahoo to Jason MacIsaac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
No offense, but isn't being the Devils' PP QB at this point a little like being a #1 RW on the Pens the last couple years? The leading point-getter from the NJ blueline last year had 23 points.
Check out Andy Greene and Anton Stralman's PP numbers from 2009-10. There are experienced defensmen who have done well on the PP in the Devils lineup.

Jason MacIsaac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:49 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
There is nothing cheesy about being able to put a one-touch pass right into Kovy's wheelhouse while under pressure. Not everybody can do that. Larsson has been excellent in the puck distribution role, and the shots he has taken have been accurate, hard, and they'll start going in soon.

We haven't had a proper PP QB for years, it's true. Not since Rafalski left. But it doesn't mean we don't recognise a good one when we see him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champagne Wishes View Post
Lemaire often went with 5 forwards on the PP, and we had guys like Rolston and Zajac and Arnott playing the point opposite Kovalchuk on the PP, instead of a defenceman. Sometimes Greene would be used. None of them were really reliable at setting up his shot, they'd put the puck in his skates, or time it wrong. Larsson is good at setting up his shot, Kovy even commented excitedly on the chemistry. Rolston had a hard shot, but he missed the net more often than he hit it. Larsson's shot is hard and accurate. That's the difference.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:28 PM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Quote:
Getting a cheesy assist on the PP (and Larsson's were not) still means that the PP is scoring, and at the end of the day, that's all that matters.

MasterofGrond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Curtinho
YNWA

Larsson is going to be a stud. Dunno why people are trying to say he isn't. Whether or not he is super successful this season is irrelevant though. Kid's good, and Jersey got a steal to grab him at 4th.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 02:09 PM
WhiskeyYourTheDevils

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterofGrond View Post
Getting a cheesy assist on the PP (and Larsson's were not) still means that the PP is scoring, and at the end of the day, that's all that matters.
The way he moves the puck on the PP, and with Kovy on his left, I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up 40+ points this season.

WhiskeyYourTheDevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:06 AM
i love staal

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dayvan Cowboy View Post
I still would have preferred we take him over Ryan Nugent-Hopkins who has also had a fantastic exhibition season. How Landeskog and Huberdeau went ahead of him blows my ****ing mind.
It is all about exposure. Huberdeau dominated the Memorial Cup. After following all these players throughout the year, I serioulsy believed Huberdeau could have gone first based on his play in the post season. Now I do know that was naive and wishful thinking, but the kid was legitemately everywhere on the ice.

On the point of Larsson...I think this kid is going to be a legit number 1 defenseman for a long time. His defensive positioning and smarts are incredible for an 18 year old. You can also combine that with his deft passing, blistering shot, solid skating (still needs work), and the fact he is playing in a top notch organization. Watching the exhibition games and the WJC, I thought he was better than Hedman at that age. Larsonn should probably have gone number 2, I had him at 1 on my mock draft though.

i love staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Larsson had his number changed to #5 today. He's made the team.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 03:30 PM
Sundinisagod
the tank is real

Adam Larsson update please...

How is 2011 4th overall pick Adam Larsson looking these days? Is he still expected to be a top pairing defensive anchor? Does he show any offensive upside? Do you feel he was drafted too high at this point in time? Thanks in advance for your insight.

Sundinisagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 06:37 PM
JJTT

People just forget how young he is

http://www.inlouwetrust.com/2014/2/1...-jersey-devils

JJTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 08:23 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
How is 2011 4th overall pick Adam Larsson looking these days? Is he still expected to be a top pairing defensive anchor? Does he show any offensive upside? Do you feel he was drafted too high at this point in time? Thanks in advance for your insight.
I don't think he was drafted too high as much as I think our expectations were a little misplaced. Being Swedish, I think the Lidstrom comparison got thrown around too liberally. Before the draft, Scottie Bowman even mentioned that Larsson reminded him much more of Larry Murphy than Lidstrom.

We saw some glimpses of offensive upside during his rookie season. The team didn't do him any favors and really overworked him early on. Gradually his ice time got dialed down and the coaching staff was mostly focused on his defensive play. Then he got hurt with about 20 games left in the season. Devils were getting ramped up in the playoffs so they didn't want to tinker with the lineup. Eventually Larsson got his number called in game 2 against Philadelphia and scored a big goal which helped turn the series around. He stayed in the lineup until they lost game 1 against the Rangers and didn't see any more playoff action after that.

The 2012-13 season was a bit of a waste. The Devils had 8 D and the coaching staff showed a little too much loyalty towards the D that had carried the workload during the previous playoffs. Larsson started off the season as a healthy scratch but eventually got in. But it seemed like he was focused on playing a simple game since any mistake would take him out of the lineup. Some of that carried over into this season before his injury.

Going forward, I would expect him to be a solid minutes eater but not an offensive catalyst like a Karlsson/Doughty/Subban.

I'm actually curious to see how his off the ice development is going. I think we take it for granted that not all 18-21 year olds are ready for the rigors of pro hockey. And it doesn't make them bad people, it just makes them typical people that age.

I forget which podcast I was listening to before the 2011 Draft, but the scout made a comment about Larsson coming from a rural part of northern Sweden and how people from that area tend to be very shy. Whereas people from southern Sweden are more outgoing and typically know English as a second language. The scout seemed to imply that Gabriel Landeskog (southern Swede plus a couple years already in North America) would have a much easier time adjusting to life as an NHLer than Larsson. Larsson was homesick during his rookie year and took a leave of absence to attend his grandmother's funeral.

The old adage is that D take a little longer to develop. I think Carolina GM Jim Rutherford lamented that a lot of times you don't know what you have until they're 23/24.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 08:57 PM
OEL for Norris
"Derpman-Larsson"

Calm down , and look to Hedman...not saying hell become Hedman, but hell probs follow Hedman's career trajectory....hell be fine imo

OEL for Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 09:25 PM
Bluejaysfan*

He needs to be in the NHL, he has nothing to gain playing in the AHL.

Bluejaysfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 09:27 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
The coach in Albany said he will too good to play in the AHL

He will still be a top Dman. He is the Devils 3rd best Dman..... but our coach and GM dont realize it

Devils Trap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-17-2014, 10:46 PM
ginner classic

Somewhere on the ohlund hamhuis continuum would make him a number 2 d. He should be in the nhl on a second pairing.

ginner classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-18-2014, 12:09 AM
SlingshotVv
nerdy wrist-locks

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaIsAKiller View Post
Yeah, brah. MDZ is where it's at.

Who needs a poised two-way rookie when you can have a grenade handling waif who likes to skate through the neutral zone and lose possession nine times out of ten? Let's go have fun creaming over a defense that, without its concussed leader, is as middling and more inexperienced than its counterpart across the river. Getting smoked by a Swiss team is just the beginning of a very bright future for the boys in blue.
Holy geeze none of the points made in this post are aging well.

SlingshotVv is offline   Reply With Quote