HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks waive F Victor Oreskovich(UPD: Clears), claim F Dale Weise from NYR

Old
10-05-2011, 12:45 AM
UBCsalmonslayer
@2Holmes2

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via AIM to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via MSN to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Yahoo to UBCsalmonslayer Send a message via Skype™ to UBCsalmonslayer
just picked this guy up in my fantasy hockey pool (Yes it`s a very deep format). Hope he gets into a fight against the Pens on opening night.

UBCsalmonslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:47 AM
Abaddon*

There goes the best piece from the Grabner trade.

Abaddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:44 AM
Kickassguy

vCash: 1121
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProstheticConscience View Post
Well, ok. The Rangers' board doesn't seem terribly broken up about losing him, but I really haven't seen him play much. Or at all, come to think of it. Here's to hoping he's an upgrade over Oreo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
It's because of the depth the Rangers have in "bottom-6ers". He got lost in the shuffle; it happens. With the Rangers, they've lost plenty of valuable players this way. Mike Knuble and Mikael Samuelsson are the most significant examples of this, so maybe you do have something to look forward to. I think he'll succeed, personally.
This. This is truth. Sometimes people tend to forget the Rangers have probably the best 4th line in the league with Rupp-Boyle-Prust (I think that's what it is this year). Hard to crack that bottom-6.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:56 AM
deckercky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
There goes the best piece from the Grabner trade.
He only goes if he gets claimed. Also....who cares if the team gets better with a younger similar piece for free. The situation was a lot different when the Grabner trade was made.

deckercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:20 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
This seems like a money puck move when I think about it. He's young and he's put up good AHL numbers for potential bottom 6, good work ethic, physical and about the right age to start stepping up into an NHL player if he's going to. I'm guessing Gillis and co saw potential in play and his start and grabbed him while he's free and try him out.

Can't hurt with a decent up side.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:31 AM
Tleve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Don't know what the hell Gernader is saying, Dubinsky is a very fast skater (when he builds up his acceleration, which is relatively average).

Weise is an okay skater. Nothing detrimental, but nothing great, either. He's a straight-forward, A-B type player. He's also MUCH better and more useful than Oreskovich.
Okay - well this has nothing to do with the topic but "Sean Waivery" - that just cracked me up!

Tleve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:50 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:09 AM
xtr3m

Yeah, Weise is not going to be impressed with today's news of Rogers Arena making an agreement with PepsiCo, the owner of Gatorade.

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:13 AM
BoHorvatFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickassguy View Post
This. This is truth. Sometimes people tend to forget the Rangers have probably the best 4th line in the league with Rupp-Boyle-Prust (I think that's what it is this year). Hard to crack that bottom-6.
I wish we had that 4th line even Lappy with two of those guys.

BoHorvatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:38 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis View Post
Weren't you also here ragging on Cody Hodgson's skating a year ago in training camp? Apparently it's NOT everything.

As said, if this guy is willing to leave it all on the ice every shift, he's doing more than Oreskovich has done for this time. Harsh but true.
Poor skating is only a problem when you don't have sufficient hockey sense to make up for it.

From what I've heard Weise is an average skater but seems to have good hockey sense. Though his fighting ability may not, er, be that great, I'm hoping he makes our 4th line more offensively-inclined, rather than just a bunch of knuckle-dragging wingers + 1 excellent centre in Lapierre. I actually want our 4th line to play hockey. I don't even really care that he's not great at fighting. Volpatti is capable of that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
I have a question...how come some teams apparently bleed off these sorts of bottom six players like, all the time, and we can't even find a couple of them to fill consistent roles on our fourth line? But then again, I guess someone took a shot at Desbiens and Glass this year, so someone's taking our cast-off crap too.
I've always wondered that... teams around the league waive lots of viable candidates for the 4th line around this time of year. We could just claim one or two of them if they're good and they're cheap too.

Last edited by vanuck: 10-05-2011 at 04:11 AM.
vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:00 AM
David71

victor oreskovich's role was probably reduced or there were "better options than Him. sure he's big, can skate pretty well for a guy his size. decent puck control. He's not a fighter. probaly isn't willing to drop the gloves from time to time. maybe in the coaches/mgmt's eyes they wanted to see More from oreo. maybe if he gets claimed or sent down to chicago he could work on those things. my 2cents.

David71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 06:12 AM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

i like the move, as oreskovich had perhaps the lowest ceiling of any current canuck roster player and weise will actually fight, but it kind of made the entire preseason more worthless than it already was

i mean, av and gillis used the entire preseason to audition 4th line guys and in the end would rather claim a guy off waivers than trust any of them with any responsibility

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 06:45 AM
orcatown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
i like the move, as oreskovich had perhaps the lowest ceiling of any current canuck roster player and weise will actually fight, but it kind of made the entire preseason more worthless than it already was

i mean, av and gillis used the entire preseason to audition 4th line guys and in the end would rather claim a guy off waivers than trust any of them with any responsibility
Generally true. Although, I suppose, Pinnzotto still is in the mix. Also Bitz is a consideration.

Would also say some of the signings provide a little depth at the forward position.

From my limited viewing of Weise, I would say he provides more possibility of getting some scoring out of the 4th line.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 06:59 AM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post

Look at it this way, the result of the audition was that no one could hack the job, enter Weise. Then the preseason becomes less worthless.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Edler4Norris
Nucks / Flyers

Send a message via AIM to Edler4Norris Send a message via MSN to Edler4Norris
So besides Maxim Lapierre what are we looking at on line four. Bitz is on the IR. I'd rather bring back Steve Bernier than be stuck looking at someone like Weise and Volpatti.

Edler4Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:31 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edler4Norris View Post
So besides Maxim Lapierre what are we looking at on line four. Bitz is on the IR. I'd rather bring back Steve Bernier than be stuck looking at someone like Weise and Volpatti.
The worst thing Bernier ever did with his career was sign that offer sheet with St. Louis. He just became way to expensive for what he brought to the table and the pressure mounted. He always struggled with his confidence and you've got to think it would be at an all time low right now. I'd think I'd rather have a young, hungry kid on the fourth who's looking to establish himself as an NHLer. Of course being on the outside looking in at the start of the season could be what finally lights the fire under his a$$..... but I doubt it. He just doesn't seem to have much tenacity in him.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Reign Nateo

Why do people think Bernier would be a good idea? The guy is useless. Got beat out for a roster spot in New Jersey by Cam Janssen and Eric Boulton, didn't get a contract offer from New Jersey after his try-out at all.

But somehow he's better a better option then Weise and Volpatti?

Weise is one of those guys that everyone will love in 6 games. I know it's hard to follow the Eastern Conference, but NYR are stacked with grinders, only reason Weise came available. and Steve Bernier is not a good player at this point. Soft, slow and timid with hands of stone. Not a good fit for our 4th line...

Reign Nateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:33 AM
stoneboat

Even when Oreskovich played with a lot of energy and grit this pre-season, I found I wasn't buying it. Playing with an edge, winning puck battles by being aggressive -- these things don't come naturally to him, and he was never going to fulfill that role consistently. He's a great skater and can make some surprisingly good plays, but he doesn't have enough fire in the belly to win battles or be a terror on the ice every shift of every game. That's what the playoffs proved to me.

Having said that, I hope he gets through waivers, because I think he's a very useful and competent spare part.

stoneboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:47 AM
metric

13 minutes until the deadline

Edit: Only Blair Betts claimed, all others have cleared per Bob McKenzie. So Oreskovich is Chicago bound it appears (doesn't have to be re-assigned but it's basically guaranteed).

Last edited by metric: 10-05-2011 at 12:06 PM.
metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:21 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
Not surprised nobody took a flyer on Oreskovich, there were better players out there on the waiver wire then him. The guy is going to have to figure out how to get some passion in his game right quick or he's going to be out of the league permanently. That or re-discover his OHL scoring touch somehow down on the farm. He's obviously behind Weise, Volpatti, and probably a healthy Pinizzotto on the depth chart now as well.

RE: Volpatti

I'm fine with him as long as he keeps playing the game he did later in the pre-season; running guys like Demers, and one-punching scrubs like Winchester. If he lets his foot off the gas he'll be gone, though.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:21 PM

Pinner won the audition, but got hurt. He'll be back. Here's hoping his shoulder isn't chronic.
He can fight and provide some offense, and he skates pretty well. It would be interesting to compare, side by side, the stats and fights of Pinner and Weise in the AHL and NHL.

So far as I can tell superficially, they both have pretty similar size, grit, attitude, and skill. Weise might be sort of a younger version of Pinner. Two guys who have decent size and skill, good energy, like to hit, and will stand up for themselves and teammates. Conveniently, Weise is a RW, a position where the organization has a dearth of willing fighters.

In the meantime, Volpatti gets the vacant LW hitter and fighter role, and will be very motivated to try and earn a permanent job there while his competition's shoulder is healing.

I watched a bunch of Weise's fights, and while he has a very awkward style, he tends to come on late in the bout with very rapid punches and takedowns. Not a great fighter, but also not a pleasant guy for another middleweight to fight.

There are three willing throwers available at LW--Volpatti, Duco, and Pinner when healthy--but only one at RW--Weise--so that's why Weise is here. Four guys more than willing to clean Brad Marchand's clock.

701 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:33 PM
vanwest

I'm still not sold on the fourth line. Lapierre is a great fourth line center and Pinizzotto showed some promise. The fact that 7 teams were after his services leads me to believe that there is something there. We will see on Weise whether he just another Duco, Mancari, Oreskovich, Volpatti type or whether there is more there. Initial reports are encouraging as at least he scored in the AHL but we shall see.

In my view, a solid fourth line is critical for the follwing reasons:
1. A fourth line that can play 10 to 11 minutes a night lets you lighten the workload of your top 3 lines. In the grind that is the playoffs that is critical as the top players tend to get injured and worn down as we saw last year. In my view, scoring is a bonus as long as the fourth liners can create energy and play well defensively.
2. You need players from your fourth line who can move up the line up in case of injury. We saw last year what a bonus it was to have Lapierre who could easily fill in on the third line witout sacrificing quality on that line. When Raymond and Kesler come back then I think that we will have fourth liners who can fulfill that role. The problem, of course, is that you can never count on being healthy.

I think that we may see Gillis target an experienced fourth line player at the trade deadline this year in order to ice a more effective fourth line come the playoffs.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:37 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
13 minutes until the deadline

Edit: Only Blair Betts claimed, all others have cleared per Bob McKenzie. So Oreskovich is Chicago bound it appears (doesn't have to be re-assigned but it's basically guaranteed).
Who picked up Betts?

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:37 PM
xtr3m

Habs

xtr3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:40 PM
KDizzle