HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Food for thoughts for people bashing Quintal.

Closed Thread

Old
10-26-2003, 11:00 AM
Mathieu Lavergne
AKA Saku K.

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Mathieu Lavergne
Food for thoughts for people bashing Quintal.

I was making a quick analysis of our defensemans yesterday and I asked myself this question at numerous times: Why does people wants to trade Stéphane Quintal or get him scratched? I know fans have a blind love for Mike Komisarek but let's make a quick analysis.

Let's state some facts first:

1) Quintal is currently leading our team with a +6.

2) Quintal is averaging 20:23 a game (4th), 15:18 at even strenght (2nd), 4:29 (1st) on the PK and 0:35 (6th) on the PP among the defensemans.

3) Our PK currently ranks T-14th in the NHL with 83,7%.

4) Quintal is no more than a third pairing defenseman at this point in his career and won't get any better.

5) Quintal is facing significantly better opposition than last year as he is a part of the pair who is responsible of shutting the opponent's best line.

6) Quintal brings experience, leadership, hard work and has usually slow starts.

Meanwhile, I found it ironic that Patrice Brisebois is receiving praises for ranking 5th in ice time and lining up against weaker forwards when he sucked at doing the exact same thing Quintal is currently doing (lining up against the opponent's best forwards). I am very happy with Brisebois' game but Quintal should be playing on the 3rd pairing and is currently being over-used by Julien. I think Quintal is playing solid hockey when we look at it in this point of view. He has been very solid on the PK and while it is normal he will be making more mistakes against stronger forwards and playing more ES ice time than he was playing last year. I don't defend him for the mistakes he did but simply like to say that in his current situation, I think what we see out of Quintal is perfectly normal so far and shouldn't be constantly bashed for the situation Julien put him into.

I just fail to see how Quintal is that bad and should be traded for a pick or scratched regularly to make room for Komisarek when he is clearly a big part of the Habs' defense and important in Julien's book.

Old
10-26-2003, 11:19 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Well I don't Quintal or Brisebois, or Rivet for that matter.

Quintal as a +6 I don't know how. The guy is never and I mean NEVER a + player. Look at his career stats, he's a career -92 Hello this says something about his defense.

Quintal is slow. He lost his man in the PK as he went in right behind Quintal, and they scored. But I do like that he is somewhat physical.

Brisebois I think is still soft and prone to mistakes, but he has played ok so far.

Rivet looked so bad on the 2nd goal. Totally undressed.

Old
10-26-2003, 11:34 AM
Mike8

I think Quintal comes across as expendable because he is at the end of his career, and isn't overly needed on this team.

You raise some good points and I'll change my tune on my "Quintal is expendable" rants. :p

I do like Quintal a lot with Souray. They're a tower of power. But I'd like to see Komisarek even more with Souray. Call it blinded love for Komisarek if you want, but I think the kid's NHL ready and would benefit tremendously from playing with Souray.

Quintal is okay. He doesn't anticipate the play well, has terrible mobility, and doesn't use his size as he can. He's a heart and soul player, but due to a lack of mobility and not a real meanstreak, he doesn't bash opponents' heads much.

On the upside, he will always give it his all. He'll stand up for teammates if he sees it's needed (though he failed to deliver on this count when THeodore was ran against the NYI last year, and he was on the ice). He'll play the system and do what he's told, more or less. That's the impression I get from him.

Old
10-26-2003, 12:06 PM
Patty Roy

I think the main problem that most Habs fans have with Quintal is that he is perceived as the being the defenceman standing in the way of Komisarek playing in the NHL.

My main problem with Q is his lack of consistent intensity. He rarely throws his significant weight around, and while i understand he's getting close to the end of his career, he's still (at least till Langdon gets healthy) the teams top scrapper and should be looking to drop the gloves every now and then (when need be) to spark the club. I haven't seen him even come close to getting into a scrap so far this season...

Old
10-26-2003, 12:07 PM
BigM1ke

I was about to ask why some people would want to trade Rivet, Quintal or Breezer, but I suddenly remembered that we lost our last game and a lost means we trade all the players that played badly this game...

Old
10-26-2003, 12:24 PM
Jeffrey

Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
IMO it's better for komi to play top time in hamilton instead of being an healthy scratch with the habs...

next year we won't re-sign Quintal
and komi will be on our lineup...

just my 2 cents ..

Old
10-26-2003, 01:03 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
IMO it's better for komi to play top time in hamilton instead of being an healthy scratch with the habs...

next year we won't re-sign Quintal
and komi will be on our lineup...

just my 2 cents ..
Heres the thing that still worries me, everyone keeps saying next year, next year, what if there is no NHL hockey next year? Komisarek will have been buried in the AHL for two years with little NHL experience. He appears ready, and needs experience at this level, he has things to work on, but should they be things he needs to be working on at the NHL level instead of potentially for two years in the minors.

Personally I would still rather have Quintal, albeit expensive, as our seventh defenseman. He played left defense last year effectively enough, and he could split some time with Hainsey and Komisarek, meanwhile being a leader. Bouillon has no future with this team, doesn't bring much to the table anyhow. Aside from heart, he brings very little to the team.

Old
10-26-2003, 01:38 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
Souray is the teams top scrapper now though, intil Langdon plays..
When was the last time you saw Souray scrap with a heavyweight?

Old
10-26-2003, 02:12 PM
Munchausen
Full Time A-hole

I like Quintal. Seriously. For me it's not about bashing him or not but coming to realize he's become expandable for the Habs. Komisarek has more positive going for him like mobility, skating speed, hard booming shot, even bigger size and more importantly he needs to play to accomodate to the NHL pace and gain experience.

He's the same kind of Dman Quintal is minus the slow and "old" legs and with a lot more potential. A dependable stay-at-home who can hit hard. He could be inserted in the lineup right now and do the exact same job, but Komisarek would only improve in that span where Quintal is on the downhill.

We all know Quintal will be gone is a little less than a year, we all know he's slower by the year and even though he still can do the job, Komisarek is his logical replacement. I have no problem in trading Quintal as long as it's not for nothing and insert Komo in the lineup alongside Souray. He would be the perfect teacher for him. Having Komisarek sit in the minors for possibly 2 years is not a thought I like as it would seriously slow his development.

Old
10-26-2003, 02:50 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Heres the thing that still worries me, everyone keeps saying next year, next year, what if there is no NHL hockey next year? Komisarek will have been buried in the AHL for two years with little NHL experience. He appears ready, and needs experience at this level, he has things to work on, but should they be things he needs to be working on at the NHL level instead of potentially for two years in the minors.

Personally I would still rather have Quintal, albeit expensive, as our seventh defenseman. He played left defense last year effectively enough, and he could split some time with Hainsey and Komisarek, meanwhile being a leader. Bouillon has no future with this team, doesn't bring much to the table anyhow. Aside from heart, he brings very little to the team.
Good point. Hadn't thought of the lockout's impact on decisions like this.

BTW, I'm fairly certain Quintal is set to earn $400k this year. His contract was front loaded.

Old
10-26-2003, 02:56 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 133
Considering his trade value and the fact than he can play both side i think it's a bad idea to trade him , Quital should be our verstaile #7 d-man at the end of the season . Rivet would be a better option , his value is probaly at an all time high with his recent WC .

Old
10-26-2003, 02:57 PM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Good point. Hadn't thought of the lockout's impact on decisions like this.

BTW, I'm fairly certain Quintal is set to earn $400k this year. His contract was front loaded.
He's in the Millionaire club

http://www.nhlpa.com/Content/THE_PLA...o1.asp?ID=4615

Old
10-26-2003, 03:15 PM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozeph_Balej

But the Hawks and Rangers pay most of his salary.

Closed Thread