HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Blair Betts, Oskars Bartulis and Matt Walker

Old
10-05-2011, 11:31 AM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodson Hoggs View Post
Montreal fan coming in peace.

What are your guys' input on Betts? We are pretty excited about having a 6'3'' guy on the 4th line (now possibly having a 4th line of Moen, Betts and Ryan White, we are indeed) and I just wanted to have your guys' opinions on Blair's play and his toughness level.
Your going to regret habs picking up betts he's slow not tuff at all going down hill in faceoffs and injury prone glad the flyers got rid of him let the young guys do the pk.......

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Rick Deckard

Panaccio:

Quote:
Walker plays tomorrow at Boston. Flyers cap at $64.23 million w/23 players. They will likely LTIR Laperriere tomorrow
I assume Bartulis moves to Glens Falls, defensive pairings are:

Pronger - Carle
Meszaros - Timonen
Coburn - Walker
Lilja

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:41 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Deckard View Post
Panaccio:

I assume Bartulis moves to Glens Falls, defensive pairings are:

Pronger - Carle
Meszaros - Timonen
Coburn - Walker
Lilja
I'll take it. While Walker's salary is definitely high, I think he is better than most people give him credit for. Also he is a right handed shot on the blue line which is always a plus. I wish they'd put Mez with Pronger though. I think that would be an amazing pairing (if Pronger stays healthy).

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:43 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedOrange View Post
Your going to regret habs picking up betts he's slow not tuff at all going down hill in faceoffs and injury prone glad the flyers got rid of him let the young guys do the pk.......
while the Flyers have Jody Shelley, Zach Rinaldo and Matt Walker who bring exactly what to the table? I dont care what anyone says. Anyone whos been watching this guy play know he will be missed. He can still bring some things to the table. but yeah lets keep Shelley around. more suspensions, more stupidity and more getting his ass kicked. awesome.
but hey we need at least one guy around so we can say "teh refs and bettman are out to get us"

Go **** yourself Holmgren

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:48 AM
supa scoop

Habs claim Betts.

supa scoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:59 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
while the Flyers have Jody Shelley, Zach Rinaldo and Matt Walker who bring exactly what to the table? I dont care what anyone says. Anyone whos been watching this guy play know he will be missed. He can still bring some things to the table. but yeah lets keep Shelley around. more suspensions, more stupidity and more getting his ass kicked. awesome.
but hey we need at least one guy around so we can say "teh refs and bettman are out to get us"

Go **** yourself Holmgren
Weakening the PK while keeping/adding players who love racking up penalties...what could POSSIBLY go wrong?

10-05-2011, 12:05 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

But but Shelley is such a character guy....moreover there is a whole thread entitled "Jody Shelley Good Signing." You haters need to go through that thread and read the ONE single poster's rationale as to why....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:08 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
But but Shelley is such a character guy....moreover there is a whole thread entitled "Jody Shelley Good Signing." You haters need to go through that thread and read the ONE single poster's rationale as to why....
He's a fan favorite who could probably play on the third line.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:14 PM
PhillyFlying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
he's a superstar that is being unjustly forced into the grinder/deliver-dirty-hits/lose-a-lot-of-fights role by the coaching staff. fire lavy.

PhillyFlying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:20 PM
BernieParent

Shelley would become an invaluable member of this roster if only the Flyers could schedule all of their games to be held in their dressing room, as this seems to be the only environment where Shelley excels. Honestly, waiving Shelley is so much a no-brainer it creates a brain vacuum. In what hockey universe after the Broad Street Bully days is it recommended to keep Shelley and release Betts? I'm hoping that the only thing Holmgren is waiting for is for Shelley to finish his suspension before putting him on the bus to Adirondack.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:32 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Shelley is not going anywhere. We know what should happen, but deep down every single one of you know what's going to happen - nothing. People just need to accept this and deal with it.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:32 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Betts doesnt score goals, which means according to some on this board hes a washed up bum. Sometimes I wonder how long some people around here have been watching hockey. you need guys like Betts aroound. solid 4th liner, can kill penalties and every now and then can chip in a goal.
What does Shelley and Rinaldo bring to table other then stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Shelley is not going anywhere. People just need to accept this and deal with it.
yeah but he also isnt the "biggest and baddest goon on the planet either." The only thing Shelley is good at is getting suspended and getting punched in the face.
Maybe some day the thinking of management and some people in this fanbase will change their mind that we need to have guys like this around. I was hoping that the preseason would open eyes of management and say having guys on the 4th line who can actually contribute and play the game isnt a bad idea. Instead those players are waived/sent to the minors.
Somethings will never change and having 1 or 2 worthless retards on the 4th line every night is one of them.

Last edited by GoneFullHextall: 10-05-2011 at 12:37 PM.
Old
10-05-2011, 12:41 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Betts doesnt score goals, which means according to some on this board hes a washed up bum. Sometimes I wonder how long some people around here have been watching hockey. you need guys like Betts aroound. solid 4th liner, can kill penalties and every now and then can chip in a goal.
What does Shelley and Rinaldo bring to table other then stupid.
Yep.

And let's not forget that so far in his career, Rinaldo has been worse at hockey than Riley Cote.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:49 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Here's one interesting thing I found on Hockey Prospectus:

GVT last year:

Jody Shelley: -1.2 (actually projects to be higher this year)
Dan Carcillo: -1.8 (my feelings are known, but I was surprised to see he was essentially less valuable than Shelley)

Blair Betts: 2.9 (although they projected that to be under 1, assuming he was staying here)
Samuel Pahlsson: 1.9 (not necessarily washed up contrary to popular belief)

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Betts age and declining skills made him expandable. Plus he is injury prone. He was average at best on draws. This opens up for the younger guys to take over the PK.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:07 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Betts age and declining skills made him expandable. Plus he is injury prone. He was average at best on draws. This opens up for the younger guys to take over the PK.
expandable? he isnt Mike York.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
expandable? he isnt Mike York.
Expendable excuse me.

The wear and tear on Betts will show this year. His skills are declining. He already lacked speed.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:15 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
Expendable excuse me.

The wear and tear on Betts will show this year. His skills are declining. He already lacked speed.
He still brings things to the table that are needed by this hockey club given the lack of Pkers on this team already. he brings more to the table then the 2 knuckleheads who are here instead in Shelley and Rinaldo.
but Holmgren in his infinite wisdom still thinks we need "tough", stupid hockey players around instead. I really shouldnt be shocked anymore at the stupid decisions made by mangement.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:26 PM
Prongo
Beer

Betts is done, he wasn't as effective as he was two years ago before he hurt his shoulder again. Nodl and Couts can play on the penalty kill and Giroux will probably play some too. Talbot also was brought in to kill penalties. I don't see how anyone is mad that the Flyers waived Betts. Yes i know we still have Shelley on this team but clearly they really really like his leadership above his hockey skills. With such a young team it doesnt hurt to have people like him in the locker room helping out the younger guys with the everyday struggles of the NHL lifestyle

Edit: Forgot Read also. He can play the kill also

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
He still brings things to the table that are needed by this hockey club given the lack of Pkers on this team already. he brings more to the table then the 2 knuckleheads who are here instead in Shelley and Rinaldo.
but Holmgren in his infinite wisdom still thinks we need "tough", stupid hockey players around instead. I really shouldnt be shocked anymore at the stupid decisions made by mangement.
First off guys like Read, Talbot, and Couturier made this move possible. If you do not see Betts is on a rapid decline then i don't know what to tell you. The guy is basically one hit away from missing a lot of time with that bum shoulder. That clearly has effected how good he was on faceoffs. Betts is a savvy pker but even i think at times he was overrated in that aspect of his game. His positional skills on the pk where inconstant at times last year. I still people are seeing that image of him and Lappy on the PK. When our PK was beastly before Lappy got hurt. That is not the same Betts.

Now Shelley i understand why people are upset. I like Rinaldo's physical aspect and his speed game. Its tailor made for Lavys forecheck system. He will grow on people as the season longs. He doesn't look like the same meathead in the OHL or AHL. I actually seen him take the smart hit instead of acting like a kamikaze putting himself and the player getting hit in a dangerous situation. Time will tell if this is the same exact Rinaldo.

Old
10-05-2011, 01:48 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
Sucks to see Betts go, especially to another team in the East.

10-05-2011, 01:56 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
I'll miss Betts.

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:00 PM
Snipsnap12

It was time to move on from betts, we have younger players that need to play and can step into his role. If losing betts is a huge blow to this team like some think then we have bigger problems.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:23 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Rinaldo seems like he could be good on the penalty kill. Fast and tough.

Giroux-Nodl
Couturier-Rinaldo

???

EDIT: I forgot Giroux

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:24 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
Rinaldo seems like he could be good on the penalty kill. Fast and tough.

Couturier-Nodl
Read-Rinaldo

???
Giroux and talbot will be on the pk.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote