HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rebuttal suggestions against a Leaf fan

Old
10-05-2011, 02:13 PM
hotcarle

vCash: 500
You know what the best part about Leaf fans is...their ability to conjugate the plural form of the noun "Leaf".

hotcarle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:36 PM
Chris Nilan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesHabsRock View Post
A guy I play hockey with posted the following message on FB. What would your response to him be?

"You know what the best part about habs fans is? They ignore the part of history where the habs have NOT won a Stanley Cup in 19 years and have been bowing out of the playoffs early ever since.
Is bragging about winning most of their cups against 5 other teams 50ish years ago somehow more dignified than a BIGGER fan base who sticks with their side (and continues to sell out games in lean years)? At least the Yankees don't dwell in the past."
Let's see. Um, the Yankees do dwell on the past. It's called a foundation. Like when Leafs fans whine about Salming not getting the Norris when Robinson won his 2nd, or when they assume they would have won the cup in 93 if not for the non-call when Gretzky got too close to Gilmour who went down like and bled like a soccer player hit by sniper fire.

I like that.

There's also the fact that we don't have tin-foil Stanley Cup parades in November.

We could mention the fact that the Leafs retire numbers for guys who were okay, like Wendel Clark, when we have hall of famers -- even recent ones -- whose numbers won't ever be retired.

There's also the logic of Leafs fans. They always blame the OTPP for the woes (actually, the blame the teacher federations incorrectly, and not the pension plan which is separately run, but that's a technicality). Where they contradict themselves is in saying that the OTPP won't spend to win. Um, it's a cap league. You overspend on facilities -- which they have -- you overspend on management -- which they obviously have -- and you overspend on staff -- which they obviously have. Even before the cap, you couldn't make the claim that they wouldn't spend. The Leafs were consistently in the top of the league payroll -- um, the OTPP still had a big investment during that 93 run which was supposed to have won, remember -- including and up to the Mats Sundin years. They brought in how many guys as free agents? Scoreboard. Then there's the fact that if the OTPP is only out to maximize profit (name me one owner other than Mark Cuban who isn't? and Cuban still wants to turn one) then they would want a prolonged Stanley Cup run every year. Why? Well, if you go back to your buddy's bit about the Leafs and their fans being true Canadians or whatever, then he and his "buds" will know that the playoffs are all about pride, not salary, for the guys b/c they don't get paid except in playoff money. Well, that means every game is pure profit. Plus, a cup run is nothing but a boon to merch sales, all of which go to the team.

The downside of that argument is that there isn't a Leafs fan alive who isn't a member of the OTPP who would understand that. It requires a level of reasoning they don't possess. That's something else to remind that about.

I also thought the 60s -- when we nearly won 5 in row a 2nd time -- was the decade of the Leafs? That's what Leafs TV says. Maybe your friend should ask them to stop that. I'd be cool with that.

Then, there's the just the simple fact that I don't want my kids to grow up with low self-esteem and an inexplicable chip on the shoulders. That's why they're raised to be Canadiens fans.

Chris Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:40 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 350
"At least our last Stanley Cup victory team photo was taken in color."

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:55 PM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nilan View Post
Let's see. Um, the Yankees do dwell on the past. It's called a foundation. Like when Leafs fans whine about Salming not getting the Norris when Robinson won his 2nd, or when they assume they would have won the cup in 93 if not for the non-call when Gretzky got too close to Gilmour who went down like and bled like a soccer player hit by sniper fire.

I like that.

There's also the fact that we don't have tin-foil Stanley Cup parades in November.

We could mention the fact that the Leafs retire numbers for guys who were okay, like Wendel Clark, when we have hall of famers -- even recent ones -- whose numbers won't ever be retired.

There's also the logic of Leafs fans. They always blame the OTPP for the woes (actually, the blame the teacher federations incorrectly, and not the pension plan which is separately run, but that's a technicality). Where they contradict themselves is in saying that the OTPP won't spend to win. Um, it's a cap league. You overspend on facilities -- which they have -- you overspend on management -- which they obviously have -- and you overspend on staff -- which they obviously have. Even before the cap, you couldn't make the claim that they wouldn't spend. The Leafs were consistently in the top of the league payroll -- um, the OTPP still had a big investment during that 93 run which was supposed to have won, remember -- including and up to the Mats Sundin years. They brought in how many guys as free agents? Scoreboard. Then there's the fact that if the OTPP is only out to maximize profit (name me one owner other than Mark Cuban who isn't? and Cuban still wants to turn one) then they would want a prolonged Stanley Cup run every year. Why? Well, if you go back to your buddy's bit about the Leafs and their fans being true Canadians or whatever, then he and his "buds" will know that the playoffs are all about pride, not salary, for the guys b/c they don't get paid except in playoff money. Well, that means every game is pure profit. Plus, a cup run is nothing but a boon to merch sales, all of which go to the team.

The downside of that argument is that there isn't a Leafs fan alive who isn't a member of the OTPP who would understand that. It requires a level of reasoning they don't possess. That's something else to remind that about.

I also thought the 60s -- when we nearly won 5 in row a 2nd time -- was the decade of the Leafs? That's what Leafs TV says. Maybe your friend should ask them to stop that. I'd be cool with that.

Then, there's the just the simple fact that I don't want my kids to grow up with low self-esteem and an inexplicable chip on the shoulders. That's why they're raised to be Canadiens fans.
Best one yet ^^^

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:17 PM
LesHabsRock

And you guys are wrong about the Leafs. They have improved. Brian Burke's 5-year plan was to improve the Leafs. And he has. I'll give him that. They went from 15th to 10th (which will be their finish this year). Baby steps I guess.

LesHabsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:25 PM
bobsURuncle

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
lol...too funny

Here's hoping the Habs win the cup this year to shut up both the maple laughs and the boston ruins fans...

GO HABS GO!!!!

bobsURuncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:36 PM
Serious HABit

after living in Toronto for 3 years I have to say that its actually a sad state of affairs over there....there's very little for a hockey nation. Most of it is from the burbs up north but I rarely saw people in their jerseys... its just rich kids and suits that go to games....

They brought up the riot argument but I mean, when's the last time Torontonians actually got excited about ANYTHING?

The cups argument is the most lolzworthy thing I've heard.

YOU WON THE CUP 19 YEARS AGO LOLLLLLLLLLL coming from a fan of the longest cup drought...

Toronto and the leafs are just like the whinny little brother to the cooler Montreal:

1. They have to go to bed earlier (2 am) and liquor stores close at 9 on a good day lolfail
2. Less mature (legal party age is 19)
3. Less history (big boring financial district and everyone lives in burbs)
4. Seperate the beer from grocery stores and deps..

Just full of fail so happy to be back in quebec

Serious HABit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:39 PM
RaMMuT
Tank Nation 2012

You just troll him and say something like:

RaMMuT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:44 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
A guy I play hockey with posted the following message on FB. What would your response to him be?

"You know what the best part about habs fans is? They ignore the part of history where the habs have NOT won a Stanley Cup in 19 years and have been bowing out of the playoffs early ever since.
Is bragging about winning most of their cups against 5 other teams 50ish years ago somehow more dignified than a BIGGER fan base who sticks with their side (and continues to sell out games in lean years)? At least the Yankees don't dwell in the past."
Point out to him he is likely to live his entire life without ever seeing the Leafs hoist the cup. That one always stings my pals...

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:50 PM
windycity

He's a Leafs fan, he's his own rebuttal

we should feel sorry for the guy, really

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Pedro McGuire*

Your friend isnt to smart is he?

Pedro McGuire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:58 PM
BLONG7

A Leaf fan trash talking, it just makes no sense...we have won 10 cups since they last won one...that being said, our recent drought is starting to sting...

I can't hold any conversation with a trash talking Leaf fan, I just shake my head, and most of the realistic one's rarely say anything...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:11 PM
29dryden29

Quote:

it's understandable being a Leaf fan like you are is like growing up with a brother that was always popular good at sports and always had the hot girlfriend that is how Leaf fans feel around HABS fans lol.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:20 PM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

Quote:

This would me my response (and you can copy it word for word if you like)

LMAO, where does a leafs fan get off throwing assanine statistics like those at habs fans. We haven't won since 93. You haven't even made it to the dance since 67. We won 14 of our TWENTYFOUR stanley cups against 5 other teams. You won all of yours against 5 other teams. Guess who has the most since the expansion in 1967. Habs with 10, just incase you couldn't add it yourself. You are a leafs fan afterall. If any fanbase dwells in the years before the expansion era it's leafs fans because there is absolutely nothing to dwell on afterwards. LOFL.
Who has the bigger fanbase is an irrelevent statistic in determining which team has a better shot at winning the stanley cup, but if it's something to be truly proud of, then I got some bad news for you, as it appears 30% of canadians agree that the Habs are canada's team while only 25% say the leafs.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/story/?i...=nhl-canadiens
O, and as for your attendance in the lean years. Check your facts again chaw-chee, cause, Montreal has been ahead of Toronto setting the bar every year since 2000-01, (although that's as far as the stat counter goes back I'm sure it extends well beyond it) and that includes some of the leafs best and habs "leanest years". lol
http://espn.go.com/nhl/attendance/_/year/2001

But the best part about leafs fans is that they never stop coming up with new ways to tell us habs fans how badly they wish they could be in our shoes. Haters gunna hate *****. LMFAO

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:37 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsURuncle View Post
lol...too funny

Here's hoping the Habs win the cup this year to shut up both the maple laughs and the boston ruins fans...

GO HABS GO!!!!
knowledge from edmonton yo!

uiCk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:43 PM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious HABit View Post
after living in Toronto for 3 years I have to say that its actually a sad state of affairs over there....there's very little for a hockey nation. Most of it is from the burbs up north but I rarely saw people in their jerseys... its just rich kids and suits that go to games....

They brought up the riot argument but I mean, when's the last time Torontonians actually got excited about ANYTHING? The cups argument is the most lolzworthy thing I've heard.

YOU WON THE CUP 19 YEARS AGO LOLLLLLLLLLL coming from a fan of the longest cup drought...

Toronto and the leafs are just like the whinny little brother to the cooler Montreal:

1. They have to go to bed earlier (2 am) and liquor stores close at 9 on a good day lolfail
2. Less mature (legal party age is 19)
3. Less history (big boring financial district and everyone lives in burbs)
4. Seperate the beer from grocery stores and deps..

Just full of fail so happy to be back in quebec
The G8 and G20

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:50 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotcarle View Post
You know what the best part about Leaf fans is...their ability to conjugate the plural form of the noun "Leaf".
"Leaf" is a proper noun.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:03 PM
callmek2
Go Habs Go!

Greetings fellow Habs fans. Long time lurker, first time poster.

Not sure how old you are, but living in Toronto the last few years, I always tell Leaf fans they need to speak up. I lost my hearing at the Stanley Cup parades I've been to.

callmek2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 06:27 AM
almostjesus*

This is what I tell people when they say "When is the last time you won a cup aside from the ones a million years ago when there were only 6 teams"

Simple answer "Quality over Quantity. 6 teams or 30 teams, it doesn't make it any harder to win a cup when you water down the talent pool and make it that much longer. 1993 wasn't THAT long ago and as far as I'm concerned; I personally have as many Stanley Cups as your team; right here in my invisible Stanley Cup case. Hold on, let me just grab the Windex."

or

"I'm sorry I have to ask you, do you know why everyone from Toronto/Vancouver drinks from glasses?"
"No, why?"
"Because all the cups are in Montreallllllllllllllllllll"

Last edited by almostjesus*: 10-06-2011 at 06:33 AM.
almostjesus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:03 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
You should just feel sorry for him. No point in rubbing it in his face anymore, its tough enough being a loser for so long.

There is no longer any joy for me in bashing them, stealing candy from a baby is actually harder.
Haha that's exactly what Ive been doing for a couple years now. I dont even argue, I just say I cant even rip on the leafs anymore because I just feel bad for them and they usually just sigh in recognition.

Perrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:10 AM
LyricalLyricist

In last 40 years montreal has 7 cups, the other original 5 combined have 8 I believe.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:03 AM
habtastic

Oh I get this stuff all the time (and I can't wait to get to campus in Waterloo with my Cammy jersey this morning).

Just smirk and say "Aww...it's so cute how you try. So...pugnacious."

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

Lets put thing in perspective here...

Any Leafs fan should remember that in 1967, their last Cup win, the 8-Track was being introduced for the 1st time in America. Also, in 1967, the FIRST EVER Super Bowl was played between Green Bay Packers and the Kansas City Chiefs. In 1967 the Beatles release their "Magical Mystery Tour" LP. Kurt Cobain was friggin' BORN the 20th of Ferbruary 1967.

Man had not walked on the Moon yet when Toronto won their last Cup! Most of you guys were not even BORN in 1967 !

THATS HOW DAMN LONG TORONTO HASNT WON ANYTHING!!! NOTHING!!!

(case closed, losers...)

Last edited by Ice Poutine: 10-06-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:54 AM
InglewoodJack

- We made it to the conference finals two years ago.
- We make the playoffs
- We also sell out every game
- Ron Wilson
- The Leafs are the Chicago Cubs to our New York Yankees.
No, not the Red Sox, because the Red Sox are good. The Cubs. 1908.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 10:14 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:

Leafs never won a Cup with more than 6 teams in the league, so his argument about winning cups with 5 other teams is more effective against him.

Leafs have not made the playoffs since 2004. Paul Martin was premiere of Canada and the Expos were still in Montreal.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote