HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Voynov Assigned To Manchester - Roster is Now Complete

Old
10-05-2011, 02:33 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

vCash: 1840
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
You're not just going to split time between players for the heck of it. Greene is in as long as he's healthy. If Martinez plays well enough to be a top 6 defenseman for 50 games, why sit him for the other 30? We're not talking goaltenders here. If Martinez shows to be incapable of playing every night, then that's one thing. Platoon situations are for when neither guy is good enough to always be in the lineup.
We're not splitting time just for the heck of it. VV has rightfully earned a spot and deserves to play.

And why does Greene have to play every game that he's healthy? So, he could lose a fight? 70 games for Greener is very reasonable.

Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
If VV wasn't threatening to bolt to Russia or was asking to be traded, no one would mind him being sent down.
Not true.

Personally, I hope he goes to khl for a year if he isn't going to be playing in the nhl.

Old
10-05-2011, 02:42 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
He will show you dressed in Red-White soon
Because he is from Michigan?

Besides not being a good enough skater for the Wings' system, he isn't good enough to crack their roster.

Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:01 PM
Pucknut50

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I can't see why we are hanging on to DavisD in favor of VV and the Parse experiment well, I don't know why we are still in that either but at least with Parse you can argue that we have given him this long so giving him some time to see what he can do to start the season would be giving our investment due time before cashing in. Not an ideal situation but at least a potential minor win instead of an automatic fail.

I would have moved him when wpg was interested but maybe mgmt sees something or knows something that we don't. Either way 20 games will give us a better idea of what we have. Unless he ends up on the rack again.

DavisD is serviceable and would likely be picked up if waived but we have so much better talent who is capable of stepping right in below him that you have to wonder why we still have him.
You probably know this but you do not want a talented kid sitting when he can be playing 20+ min in Manchester. Drewiske is now in the same position as P. Harrold was here. So when a player gets injured VV will be the first one recalled regardless if its a stay at home D.

VV, Drewiske, sign or trade for a veteran or Hickey. That is the order.
I 100% guarantee VV will see NHL ice this year.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:08 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

I would think that Drewiske is with the team as the #7 to fill in when one of the top 6 defensemen has a minor injury or just needs a night off. If a long term injury occurs either Muzzin, Voynov, or Hickey (outside chance) will get called up and inserted into the lineup. The player called up will depend on how they are playing in Manchester.

It would be dumb for Voynov to go back to Europe when he is so close to making it in the NHL. He is only 21 years old, what does he expect?

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Whiskeypete

i understand holding on to Parse at this point. there is still questions surrounding his worth/capabilities, etc. at this point Parse will be a pass/fail by the 20 game mark, if he's healthy. the team can't keep committing roster space that can't (a) perform to expectations and (b) stay healthy long enough to contribute. the team has to look at bringing up 'fresh' blood at some point, before everyone in MAN bolts to Europe.

on the other hand they know what they have in DD44 at this point. keeping him over bringing up VV is baffling to me. they've had DD44 and Harrold filling the same roles for years. the team cut ties with Peter this year to open room for a youngster. the problem though is they haven't brought anyone up yet.

with the signings of Hunter, Gagne, Moreau and the on-going juggling of Richie, Westie, Parse there is no spot to bring up a kid that should be with the big club. at this point i see either Parse, Westie, Hunter or Moreau as the one that will have to be cut/wavied to make room. the glut of FA forwards didn't help going into the season to make room for the MAN kids that have earned a spot

Whiskeypete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:19 PM
LombardiTool

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
We're not splitting time just for the heck of it. VV has rightfully earned a spot and deserves to play.

And why does Greene have to play every game that he's healthy? So, he could lose a fight? 70 games for Greener is very reasonable.
The importance of a player Greene's ability goes beyond points. Voynov and Greene are completely different styles of defenseman. These are not interchangeable parts.

There is an agreement with KHL... he will not be bolting to Russa.

Voynov needs more playing time, not to be hanging out with Drewiskie like Peter Harrold.

LombardiTool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:56 PM
Scrivezina
Who needs offense?

Boooooooooooooooooo .....

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:13 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
I don't agree with that mentality at all, players of his age and upside can always learn more. I doubt Voynov is as good as he's ever gonna be playing in the minors, he can get better still. Besides, he looked quite rough out there in my opinion. Not that Drewiske looked any better mind you, but having a prime prospect just sitting there watching games doesn't feel right to me. He should be playing and if he can outplay one of our regulars he deserves to be here. In my opinion, he didn't do that so he should go back to Manchester and try to improve himself.
Oh I agree, that's not what I meant to imply. I feel that what Voinov needs to learn can be and should be learned at the NHL level. He's done going to high school, time to head for university.

I disagree he'd be guaranteed to be sitting there not playing just because he's the 7th D-man, but that's a well wornout debate already.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:17 PM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
If VV wasn't threatening to bolt to Russia or was asking to be traded, no one would mind him being sent down.
I would.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:22 PM
Mr Irreverent
Thiago who???

Quote:
Bingo! But since he is, trade him for a 1st round pick or a scoring winger. Everybody wins.

Mr Irreverent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:31 PM
kingsfan28
Its All About Sv Pct

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Sorry, not a fan of this, unless it is just a simple matter of waiting for Penner to get healthy so we can send down a forward and recall Voynov. Outside of that, this move bites.

I didn't like the Loki move either, but even I felt the kid needed to show he could stay healthy and doing so playing big minutes would be beneficial. I don't see anything Voynov has to prove. He dominated in the AHL last year. If there are holes in his game, they are minute and can be just as easily fixed with him up on the big club as a #7 d-man.

VV outplayed Drewiske, so it's almost like they figured Voynov had no chance from the start because they wanted someone to sit out every second game, hence keeping Drewiske.

If he stays, he better get a recall. Toss him some NHL games and the corresponding salary as a reward. Hickey deserves some NHL games this year too. I love the fact we some great NHL ready D-men in the system, but throw them a bone.
Every 2nd game? I think I'd be more like 5 or 6 games, but I see your point.

kingsfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:42 PM
bral
Go Kings!

I'm a big VV fan but all accounts have pointed to him needing to work on his D. With the amount of pressure on the team this year do we really want our youngsters out there if they are not ready? A little more time in Manch isn't going to hurt, if he insists on a trade then he's a great asset and i fully expect that DL will get good value in return. Not that VV has the right to demand anything, we own his rights until management decides otherwise.

bral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:51 PM
TwoForRoughing
Let's do it again!

Don't agree with this one bit. Not only has Voynov paid his dues and kept his promise about coming to NA, but he has been leaps and bounds better than Drewiske thus far. Idc if the man plays 40 games, let him grow with the team. ****, I'd consider bolting to Russia too if I was him...

TwoForRoughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Johnny Utah

Some of you people are hilarious? Scratch Matt Greene? He hasn't been a healthy scratch since his Edmonton days...Martinez has looked good and the coaches like him, so unless VV is spltting time with him, he ain't gonna see any games...Drewiske is a Mike Weaver, Kent Hustkin's type; perfect for sitting out and playing occasionally.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 06:42 PM
redcard

I think what Murray needs to do is find a way to make the Doughty-Johnson pairing work full time at even strength. We have both of these guys under contract for the next 7 years, one right handed and the other left handed. Both physically capable of playing 25+ minutes a night.

Murray's tried it sporadically, but ends it every time they look off. I think we need to force them together and let them build chemistry on the ice. If he can get them to work together, not only will it pay off in the long run and give us our version of the Neidermeyer/Pronger pairing, but it will make dressing 3 defensive defensemen redundant.

Doughty-Johnson
Martinez-Mitchell/Scuderi
Voinov-Scuderi/Greene

You play DD and JJ in all situations, 1st PP and 2nd PK unit. Use the 2 defensive guys on the 1st PK unit, and the two offensive guys on the 2nd PP unit. Yes there will be growing pains, but once Doughty and Johnson figure out when each one will pinch or rush up the ice they have the potential to be the top pairing in the league...for 7 years.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 06:50 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

Some of you ARE hilarious.

Greene played 71 games last year. A game less here or there won't be a big deal.

Besides, some of you guys make it sound as if VV went down the manch that he'll be a guarantee to make the kings next year. Nope, no such thing.

Anything can happen between now and next training camp.

Old
10-05-2011, 06:51 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
I knew it was going to happen, doesn't mean I like it a bit. Voynov being sent down is equal to a fart noise.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:30 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Because he is from Michigan?

Besides not being a good enough skater for the Wings' system, he isn't good enough to crack their roster.
... Skating is Voynov's strongest talent. He is a FANTASTIC skater.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Fulcrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I have seen KHL games in almost every stadium and have seen every team play live at least once and much more in a few cases and while I agree that the money offered can be good, the level of play is far below that of the NHL and there are BIG problems getting paid on a regular basis and several players have opted out of contracts with one team to sign with another.

Some people think of the KHL as the NHL's little cousin but I would say go, go see a few KHL games in person and you will see why every player would rather play in the NHL then in the KHL who is worth their salt.

The SEL is a more comparable league in so far as professionalism and caliber of play is concerned but even then, it is different and there isn't anywhere near the same opp to make money.
I have also seen a good portion of KHL since its inception and the RSL before that, and I would strongly disagree with your statement. The level of play is very high- it's very different than in NA, but the technical aspect of the game, on average, is very comparable to that of NHL. The professional side of things- they have improved 10 fold since the inception, and some teams like SKA are comparable to many NHL organizations. What you are saying sounds like its from 2007 or so.

Fulcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:08 PM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post

Because Greene has rightfully earned a spot and deserves to play?

Greene is going to play every game that he's healthy. Does he have to? No, nobody has to, but he will. Which NHL team wouldn't have that be the case? He's paid his dues as well. He's a leader on the team. He's 27, played almost 400 games in the NHL, and an additional 30 in the playoffs. He's going to be in the lineup unless an injury takes him out.

Martinez had a spot to lose going into camp. Drewiske is a cheap 7th defenseman who doesn't need to play. Voynov doesn't have to be on the team. If Martinez doesn't play well, Voynov is a phone call away.

KingsFan7824 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:08 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Going on year 4 in the system and still not even a single cup of coffey. Poor management decision here. Hope he goes. Traktor can use a good defenceman like himself.

malkinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:43 PM
damacles1156

It's a good problem to have. And if Slava ever tries to hold managment hostage by threatining the Euro move. Well, that would be the dumbest move of his career.

Now if he wants to go that route for pay, ok more power to him. But don't act like Lombardi is going to give him a roster spot because he may leave.

Slava is a great skater and has some nice speed. But his D game needs a lot of work. He is also not as physical has A mart or Davis is.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:44 PM
onlyalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
Because Greene has rightfully earned a spot and deserves to play?

Greene is going to play every game that he's healthy. Does he have to? No, nobody has to, but he will. Which NHL team wouldn't have that be the case? He's paid his dues as well. He's a leader on the team. He's 27, played almost 400 games in the NHL, and an additional 30 in the playoffs. He's going to be in the lineup unless an injury takes him out.

Martinez had a spot to lose going into camp. Drewiske is a cheap 7th defenseman who doesn't need to play. Voynov doesn't have to be on the team. If Martinez doesn't play well, Voynov is a phone call away.
This
Voynov was not competing for a spot with Greene. They don't play the same type of game.

He is not competing with DD44. Davis is a tweener. That is why he is the 7th Dman. He can cover for an offensive Dman or a defensive one. He is not going to replace them for long, but he can fill either role for a few games.

Voynov is looking to replace A-Mart or JJ or DD. If any of those guys go down for a bunch (unknown #)of games, then he will be called back. If Drew had not been close enough to be ready then Voynov may have had a chance to stay. Once TM felt Drew was going to be able to play Voynov was sent down.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:50 PM
damacles1156

Going to Euro is not always a great move. Bud Holloway right now has to be kicking himself. You can't tell me Bud coudln't have beat out Trent Hunter or Scott parse.

He is probably dying inside a little.

damacles1156 is offline   Reply With Quote