HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Blair Betts, Oskars Bartulis and Matt Walker

Old
10-05-2011, 02:29 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Im already calling that the first time Zac Rinaldo goes out on the PK, he will take a stupid penalty (like he always does) and we go down to a 5v3. But dont worry, we will here people ***** that it was a "soft call" and how the refs hate us and how its super unfair to base the call off of Rinaldo's reputation. Rinaldo is like Carcillo, just without the very little skill Carcillo had.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:31 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Im already calling that the first time Zac Rinaldo goes out on the PK, he will take a stupid penalty (like he always does) and we go down to a 5v3. But dont worry, we will here people ***** that it was a "soft call" and how the refs hate us and how its super unfair to base the call off of Rinaldo's reputation. Rinaldo is like Carcillo, just without the very little skill Carcillo had.
I will be shocked if rinaldo is on the pk in the near future.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:32 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Quote:
Rinaldo has seemed a lot more under control so far.

The key words being "so far".

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:35 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
Rinaldo has seemed a lot more under control so far.

The key words being "so far".
If you watch his interviews he seems like a smart guy, he states the coaches have told him he needs to back off a bit and he has done that while he has got playing time. He also said he wants to focus more on being a hockey player rather than a goon type, but still continue to be physical.

A lot of the time guys will be crazy in the ahl and junior to get recongnized, they understand they dont have a huge skill set so they have to find their niche.

Hey it got him a job did it not? Now he has to be smart and not cross the line

Old
10-05-2011, 02:44 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
It was time to move on from betts, we have younger players that need to play and can step into his role. If losing betts is a huge blow to this team like some think then we have bigger problems.
It's not losing Betts himself that is the issue, really. It's that when one looks at our forward group, the most glaring weakness is defensive play and given that we'd already lost key cogs in that area such as Gagné, Richards, Carter, Lappy and Powe fairly recently, losing Betts as well seems a bit unnecessary. If we had had clear cut replacements ready, then I couldn't care less about losing Betts. I don't consider Read, Couturier, Rinaldo or Simmonds to be that however.

The fact that Couturier and Read have looked fine during preseason games doesn't really mean anything until they show that they can do so when it matters as well.

If I'm to continue playing the role of the pessimist on these forums, come November how much do you think it will cost us to get that defensively sound, veteran 4th line center that we can use on the pk that it's become so desperately clear that we need? What's that? It smells like-- yes, yes, it's a 2nd rounder burning a hole in Homer's pocket.

Ok, so maybe it won't go that far, but it would have seemed more logical to wait until the new guys could have proven themselves a bit more before waiving Betts. Unless there were more concerns about his injuries than they're letting on.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 02:48 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
It's not losing Betts himself that is the issue, really. It's that when one looks at our forward group, the most glaring weakness is defensive play and given that we'd already lost key cogs in that area such as Gagné, Richards, Carter, Lappy and Powe fairly recently, losing Betts as well seems a bit unnecessary. If we had had clear cut replacements ready, then I couldn't care less about losing Betts. I don't consider Read, Couturier, Rinaldo or Simmonds to be that however.

The fact that Couturier and Read have looked fine during preseason games doesn't really mean anything until they show that they can do so when it matters as well.

If I'm to continue playing the role of the pessimist on these forums, come November how much do you think it will cost us to get that defensively sound, veteran 4th line center that we can use on the pk that it's become so desperately clear that we need? What's that? It smells like-- yes, yes, it's a 2nd rounder burning a hole in Homer's pocket.

Ok, so maybe it won't go that far, but it would have seemed more logical to wait until the new guys could have proven themselves a bit more before waiving Betts. Unless there were more concerns about his injuries than they're letting on.
Giroux, talbot, hartnell, simmonds, read, schenn, couturier, nodl all have defensive qualities to their game. Betts is hardly on the ice 5 on 5 so we basically have to replace his PK which I dont think will be that hard. We pay our goalie and top notch defensive a crazy amount of money, so with a decent amount of defensive forwards we should be more then fine.

Old
10-05-2011, 02:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Read, Schenn and Courturier are all rookies. I don't have much faith in their defensive abilities during the regular season. Schenn might be able to pull it off, but he will still have learning to do. The team's overall defense has taken an overall step back from last year.

10-05-2011, 03:33 PM
habsjunkie2*

Habs fan coming in peace. Just wondering what kind of player we've got in betts? has his play deteriorated to point where he now costs his team more than he benefits.

I enjoyed betts back when he played for my Home town Saint John Flames. Is he no longer the pk force he used to be? Or was that just a small sample from the playoffs? I don't expect him to be the missing piece for the habs, but just an upgrade to our internal option of Engqvist, would it be fair to say he would he is still an adequate NHL player?

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:39 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1431
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Habs fan coming in peace. Just wondering what kind of player we've got in betts? has his play deteriorated to point where he now costs his team more than he benefits.

I enjoyed betts back when he played for my Home town Saint John Flames. Is he no longer the pk force he used to be? Or was that just a small sample from the playoffs? I don't expect him to be the missing piece for the habs, but just an upgrade to our internal option of Engqvist, would it be fair to say he would he is still an adequate NHL player?
Good player. Health is always a concern but when he was on the ice, for the role he played, he was fine.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
damn.

Last edited by Giroux tha Damaja: 10-05-2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: dummy
Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:23 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by sm0ka47 View Post
First off guys like Read, Talbot, and Couturier made this move possible. If you do not see Betts is on a rapid decline then i don't know what to tell you. The guy is basically one hit away from missing a lot of time with that bum shoulder. That clearly has effected how good he was on faceoffs. Betts is a savvy pker but even i think at times he was overrated in that aspect of his game. His positional skills on the pk where inconstant at times last year. I still people are seeing that image of him and Lappy on the PK. When our PK was beastly before Lappy got hurt. That is not the same Betts.
Anyone is one hit away from anything. That's what you sign up for when you want to be an NHL player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Betts doesnt score goals, which means according to some on this board hes a washed up bum. Sometimes I wonder how long some people around here have been watching hockey. you need guys like Betts aroound. solid 4th liner, can kill penalties and every now and then can chip in a goal.
What does Shelley and Rinaldo bring to table other then stupid.

yeah but he also isnt the "biggest and baddest goon on the planet either." The only thing Shelley is good at is getting suspended and getting punched in the face.
Maybe some day the thinking of management and some people in this fanbase will change their mind that we need to have guys like this around. I was hoping that the preseason would open eyes of management and say having guys on the 4th line who can actually contribute and play the game isnt a bad idea. Instead those players are waived/sent to the minors.
Somethings will never change and having 1 or 2 worthless retards on the 4th line every night is one of them.
They didn't even have to look to pre-season. They can just look at last year, where the Bruins had a 4th line, and the Canucks did not, and the difference that made.

Last edited by GKJ: 10-05-2011 at 04:49 PM.
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:59 PM
Betts11

Well this sucks...hate to see Betts go def one of my favorite players....guess its time for a new username.

Betts11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:10 PM
captainpaxil

Quote:
honestly arent you being a little harsh here with "always does" when the rookie hasnt played an nhl game yet? even if he turns into sean avery or even worse matt cooke shouldnt the kid at least get to earn his bad reputation?

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:20 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Anyone might cheer for Betts when he shows up in town?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:22 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Anyone might cheer for Betts when he shows up in town?
Me, but the rest of Montreal can shove off.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
honestly arent you being a little harsh here with "always does" when the rookie hasnt played an nhl game yet? even if he turns into sean avery or even worse matt cooke shouldnt the kid at least get to earn his bad reputation?
He might not have played an NHL game yet, but his CHL and AHL history isn't exactly spotless.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
He might not have played an NHL game yet, but his CHL and AHL history isn't exactly spotless.

Just making a name for himself, now he is in the show, time to play hard nosed and not cross the line.

Old
10-05-2011, 05:53 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
Just making a name for himself, now he is in the show, time to play hard nosed and not cross the line.
From the sounds of it, it was because he had uncontrollable rage problems...not because he was trying to be noticed.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
From the sounds of it, it was because he had uncontrollable rage problems...not because he was trying to be noticed.
haha when ever someone says he was crazy because of uncontrollable rage issues I think about the hanson brothers from slapshot just going crazy everytime they are on the ice.

Old
10-05-2011, 05:59 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betts11 View Post
Well this sucks...hate to see Betts go def one of my favorite players....guess its time for a new username.
Superstar45?

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 06:24 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Superstar45?
If it's a trend that his username players gets waived, I'm all for this.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:07 PM
Betts11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Superstar45?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
If it's a trend that his username players gets waived, I'm all for this.
LOL ill give it a try...if i could already changed my username once..now i gotta wait.

Last edited by Betts11: 10-05-2011 at 07:13 PM.
Betts11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:53 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodson Hoggs View Post
Montreal fan coming in peace.

What are your guys' input on Betts? We are pretty excited about having a 6'3'' guy on the 4th line (now possibly having a 4th line of Moen, Betts and Ryan White, we are indeed) and I just wanted to have your guys' opinions on Blair's play and his toughness level.
He's had a few shoulder surgeries but last year he was affected by a broken finger, I believe. He had it operated on in the off season. Hopefully that will help him get back to where he was.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:03 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post
What goes to show that he wont continue to do what he has done his whole career? Like I know some are making this past offseason like he went from a devil to an angel but I highly doubt he made such a 360 in his style in play. Just cause he hasnt played an nhl game doesnt mean he wont continue to do what he has done his whole hockey career.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:12 PM
lancer247

Quote:
What goes to show that he wont continue to do what he has done his whole career? Like I know some are making this past offseason like he went from a devil to an angel but I highly doubt he made such a 360 in his style in play. Just cause he hasnt played an nhl game doesnt mean he wont continue to do what he has done his whole hockey career.
he doesn't have to win the lady byng he just has to not be a thorn in his own team's side by limiting his stupid penalties and suspensions.

look at Downie...he has made him self a produtive player but still is just dangerous enough to keep opposing players head on a swivel.

i didn't see Rinaldo play in the minors/juniors but i trust Lavi's ability as a coach. Lavy did a good job of reigning in Boulerice in CAR and he coach head cases like Simon and Cairns in NYI, IIRC.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote