HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Okay so it wasn't Bob McKenzie

Old
10-05-2011, 08:50 PM
BLASPHEMOUS
**** THE KING

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
Jeez, Ray Ferraro seems like absolutely humourless.
Tell me about it, I live in Vancouver during the summer and he's so boring on the radio, it is ridicuolous. Sure, the other radio guys are absolute numb skulls, but at least their idiocy is entertaining.

BLASPHEMOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:59 PM
sheed36

After just seeing all those hits on TSN where the players were suspended this preseason it's still beyond me how Malone didn't get anything..

sheed36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:02 PM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post

Yes..I wan't Markov out all year. Are you insane?

Just add the pieces together. He is still skating on his own, and lightly at that. He isn't going through aggressive drills.

He still has to go through practices with the team, and then full contact practices, and finally getting in game shape.

I am just saying it doesn't look good from my view.
On the contrary, that is what I am suggesting about you. Its almost like you've got an agenda.

I have added the pieces together. So far he is 9 months into his recovery, a process that can normally take up to a year. He is skating, close to joining the team again and had no major setbacks. In no way do I think he is "nowhere near returning" like you have stated. In fact, as far as the entire process goes, I would argue that Markov is very close to returning according to the credible sources. Your "view" is about as informed as a 10 year olds, as is to say that outside of credible connected hockey sources, any new information that you personally bring to the discussion is pure speculation. I would hold myself to the same standards in the sense that I will never act like I know first hand information about the Markov situation. If you use terms like "in my opinion" or "I think" instead of abslolute statements, then you acknowledge that it is an opinion or speculation, making your post more reasonable.

Last edited by bjac: 10-05-2011 at 09:16 PM.
bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:08 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

People here should give their assessment of the panel before the predictions are tabled because everyone knows that once the predictions are out:

1) anyone on the panel who says anything positive about the Habs will be an astute hockey genius
2) anyone who criticizes or doesn't predict lofty Hab accomplishments are idiots

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Halifaxhab*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
People here should give their assessment of the panel before the predictions are tabled because everyone knows that once the predictions are out:

1) anyone on the panel who says anything positive about the Habs will be an astute hockey genius
2) anyone who criticizes or doesn't predict lofty Hab accomplishments are idiots
Hey now....it takes BIG brass ones to say ANYTHING positive about the HABS on the Toronto Sports Network

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:12 PM
Beakermania*

Ok

Button - idiot
Crawford - close to button
Ferraro - below average but better than first two.
Peca - getting better still.
Ward - slightly above average.
Dreger - good.
Lebrun - great.
Mckenzie - best in business.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:14 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
I don t know what ferraro problem is with the habs, but it s alway negative with him
He played with the Whalers. Probably especially bad memories from the '86 Cup run. The series was very close.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

I find it rather funny that the general consensus for the Habs is 8th place, but when Ferraro, Crawford and McKenzie were asked to pick a team that could falter from the top 8, none of them choose the Habs. TB, NYR and Philly, accordingly, were chosen by them.
Don't know how they get to their consensus ratings, so they might all have placed Mtl above 8th, but I just found it humorous.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:23 PM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I find it rather funny that the general consensus for the Habs is 8th place, but when Ferraro, Crawford and McKenzie were asked to pick a team that could falter from the top 8, none of them choose the Habs. TB, NYR and Philly, accordingly, were chosen by them.
Don't know how they get to their consensus ratings, so they might all have placed Mtl above 8th, but I just found it humorous.
I guess they see Montreal as the "slow and steady" playoff team, perhaps a bit more resilient or charactered but less skilled, while the others would be a bit more unstable or unpredictable. Haha, not saying I agree, just trying to make sense of it.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
I guess they see Montreal as the "slow and steady" playoff team, perhaps a bit more resilient or charactered but less skilled, while the others would be a bit more unstable or unpredictable. Haha, not saying I agree, just trying to make sense of it.
I don't know, maybe I'm missing the logic, but to me, the way you rate teams from top to bottom is by their chances in making the POs. The higher the chance, the higher the rating, so if you pick a team 8th, then it should be the most likely one of the top 8 to miss the POs.
Same logic is applied for 9th-15th.

Old
10-05-2011, 09:36 PM
NBP81

Im a bit confused as I didnt really follow this thing... So one guy said someone from the panel would pick us to win the division, and no one actually picked us above 8th? So you've all been punk'd? hehe! funny ssst...

NBP81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:41 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjac View Post
In fact, I think that's pretty much exactly what the panelists on TSN said earlier.

Paraphrasing here: "The Habs may not be a regular season powerhouse like the Caps, but come playoff time, their sound defensive play and timely scoring gets the job done."

And of course, Price is always the wildcard in terms of how far this team can go in the playoffs.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:52 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB164 View Post
In fact, I think that's pretty much exactly what the panelists on TSN said earlier.

Paraphrasing here: "The Habs may not be a regular season powerhouse like the Caps, but come playoff time, their sound defensive play and timely scoring gets the job done."

And of course, Price is always the wildcard in terms of how far this team can go in the playoffs.
That's not what I was discussing.

I'm saying, how do you pick a team to finish 8th, but when asked to pick one out of the top 8 to miss the POs, you choose the #4-5 or 7, instead of that team you picked to finish 8th?
If you feel the team chosen to finish 4th actually has more chances of missing the POs than the 8th seed, then shouldn't it be placed behind it?

It's just completely illogical. The only logical explanation is that none of Ferraro, Crawford and McKenzie picked the Habs to finish higher than the teams they chose to possibly miss the POs (TB, NYR, PHI). Mtl was placed 8th from a general consensus, so I'm guessing that includes the rest of the TSN crew, otherwise it makes no sense.

Old
10-05-2011, 09:56 PM
NBP81

Quote:

I'm saying, how do you pick a team to finish 8th, but when asked to pick one out of the top 8 to miss the POs, you choose the #4-5 or 7, instead of that team you picked to finish 8th?
If you feel the team chosen to finish 4th actually has more chances of missing the POs than the 8th seed, then shouldn't it be placed behind it?

It's just completely illogical.
100% right... But then again, if you expect logical intelligence from the media these days, you're reaching... They want ratings, period. Nevermind common sense...

NBP81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:59 PM
SB164

Quote:

It's just completely illogical. The only logical explanation is that none of Ferraro, Crawford and McKenzie picked the Habs to finish higher than the teams they chose to possibly miss the POs (TB, NYR, PHI). Mtl was placed 8th from a general consensus, so I'm guessing that includes the rest of the TSN crew, otherwise it makes no sense.
IIRC, out of the bottom 8 teams, they chose either the Devils or the Hurricanes holding an outside chance of making the playoffs. I guess the thought process is that if one of those teams does sneak in, they would do so instead of fellow divisional teams such the NYR or the TB Lightning respectively.

And I don't think any of them believes that the Leafs (much less the Sens) can make the playoffs instead of the Habs.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:09 PM
x74Pacioretty74x

So did anyone end up picking the Habs to win the East or the Eastern Conference Finals?

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Protest the Hero

Did they even do individual rankings? I stopped watching after they covered the Habs.

About the panel, I don't know why they keep bringing back Crawford. He's just not good on camera, he's soft spoken and his humour isn't up to par.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 356
Damn misread the title. Thought we had won the East

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:14 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Ummm On tsn.ca they have the thing about the habs and Mac calls them a bubble team, but says they have the ability to do well in the playoffs.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:31 PM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Funny part is they're wrong nearly every time. It's almost become cliche to say we're 8th. Most of the time we aren't.
Most of the time we aren't? putting us 8th is actually the safest bet one can make. Last year, we finished 3 pt above 8th, equal in points to the 7th spot and the two years before....we finished....8th! Guess the tsn panel are more often right than not...If they always put the habs at 8th.

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:57 PM
Shadyone33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
If I'm a betting man.... I bet he ends up playing more than the 7 games he played last year.

Even if he starts in late November and only plays 60 games... this is a big boost over last year's team.
It'll suck not having him at the start of the year, but he MIGHT have a little more gas in the tank come playoff time! That could be a bonus.

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Hugo Sham

Simmons = moron

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/10/05...es-burke-crazy

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:35 AM
Roke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
Not once does he mention skill regarding the Leafs. "Not enough truculence" is mentioned, but nothing about skill.

Hopefully Burke was feeding him explanations rather than Simmons trying to think for himself. That wouldn't bode well for the Leafs.

Also, Price was not "robbed" of the Vezina. Thomas had a historic or near-historic season.

Toronto's print media can be pretty awful, especially at the Sun and Star.

Roke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:37 AM
Aeneas

i think paul "biz nasty" bissonnette should retire and join the panel, THAT would be entertaining

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:38 AM
Beakermania*

McKenzie did say that the Habs would make the playoffs, and once they get there they have as good a chance to win series as anyone, because of Carey Price.

Beakermania* is offline   Reply With Quote