HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Garon Sucks

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2005, 01:08 AM
Osprey

vCash: 500
I'd call only the first goal soft, but there's also the possibility that Garon was so shocked that Conroy missed his man that he was slow to react and position himself.

I wasn't too happy with his play, either, but Garon deserves some credit for not letting any pucks through for more than the last half of the game. Perhaps some of the same people who said that he lets in backbreaking goals or that good goalies don't sabotage comebacks will give him that, at least.

Last edited by Osprey: 10-20-2005 at 01:15 AM.
Old
10-20-2005, 01:14 AM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottkmlps
So easy to lay blame on the goalie and/or the coach now isn't it? Sorry, but none of those goals Garon gave up were soft. They were either well placed shots, or he was hung out to dry, the Sakic goal being both a well placed shot and being hung out to dry. Take a look at what the other players on the ice are doing for the Kings, then just the goalie. And non of this, "The Avs scored on their 1st shot." crap. It's not the quantity of shots, it's the quality of shots.
I will give you the fact that some of the goals were defensive lapses. But after watching the highlights several times I would have to say that the first goal was a soft goal. No matter how you want to sugarcoat it. The Sakic goal looked a little soft as well. Bottom line......the Kings won the game......which is good. But Garon needs to improve on the routine shots. Right now Garon's save% is .860 which ranks him at 50th in the league. That is not sufficient for our so-called #1 goalie.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:14 AM
swinginutter*

Garon may have looked bad early but the Kings were giving up high percentage shots. Sakic's was a no brainer.......he has one of the best wrist shot's in the game. Lappy was made to look like an all-star the whole game. The game was real choppy, but i'm glad we pulled it out. It was an exciting victory.

The Kings also seem to play more tighter when LaBarbera is in net.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:29 AM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginutter
The Kings have been playing easier teams when LaBarbera is in net, no?

Old
10-20-2005, 01:37 AM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
The Kings have been playing easier teams when LaBarbera is in net, no?
Yeah, so far.

I meant, more of the mentality of how they go at the game. Besides the Detroit game......Dallas and Colorado were somewhat more wide open.

Old
10-20-2005, 03:51 AM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV
This thread is lame - for now.
Now that the game is over - this thread is lame, period.

- T

Old
10-20-2005, 04:18 AM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginutter
Garon may have looked bad early but the Kings were giving up high percentage shots. Sakic's was a no brainer.......he has one of the best wrist shot's in the game. Lappy was made to look like an all-star the whole game. The game was real choppy, but i'm glad we pulled it out. It was an exciting victory.

Agreed, agreed, agreed, agreed, agreed and well, I dunno if that's more a product of the lesser-lites that LaBarbera has drawn. People, Conroy made a wrong turn (his only mistake on a +3 night) that left an NHL-level player wide open in the slot. I know, I know - it's Lappy, but most players can bury that shot. Garon did look a little flat, but I'd hardly call that goal "soft". And calling a close-in Sakic wrister "soft" is, well, "nincompoopery."

Tonight's game looked like it was played on ice that hadn't seen a Zamboni since before the lockout. HUGE props for the tenacity and heart that it took to chip away and get the win. Props to Parros for taking Boughner on.

How good does Tim Gleason look?! With both ends of the ice considered, I'd vote him as the Kings best all-around defenceman this year.

BTW, the first part of this thread *is* lame. Before you bash Garon and AM, at least let a game play out. The Av's had 4 days off from a stinging loss and came out flying at home...

Old
10-20-2005, 05:54 AM
Qui Gon Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnThGrt
This being said please put Labarbera in for the rest of the game Garon is truly not doing well today. Just alone Labarbera's body would of blocked all those shots due to his size.....
Would that size be the 1 inch height difference between them or the fact that Labarbera is a fair bit heavier than Garon? Either way, i doubt such a small differnce in size would have such a dramatic effect on stopping those pucks. As has been said, lots of goalies are struggling at the moment. Not just Garon. Give both goalies a chance to prove themselves and further into the season, make a decision on who (if anyone) deserves a number 1 spot.

But its worth remembering, this is the so called new NHL, with more offense and therefore more goals. There will be times when a goalie is beaten on a clean shot (like the Sakic shot). thats just the way the league is trying to go. The main thing to remember about the game against Colorado is the Kings ended up winning against a decent team. On the road. And if you are going to critisize a goalie for having 4 pucks go by him, what about the five other guys out there the puck had to go by before reaching the goalie? Or are they immune to critisism cos they have a chance to redeem themselves by scoring?

Old
10-20-2005, 06:04 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Now that the game is over - this thread is lame, period.

- T
I agree

Old
10-20-2005, 10:39 AM
Fat Elvis

well he did come up big in the 3rd on a number of chances. He earned himself a W.
As far as Babs goes, remember when Huet was in net the first few games the Kings played a very defensive style in which Huet only had to make 20 saves a game. To me it looks like a similar style is being played when Babs is in net. When Garon has been in net, the style of play is more wide open and he's facing more difficult shots imo.

Old
10-20-2005, 12:59 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4kingzfan1
the only person who sucks is the professional dumbass Andy Murray for not playing Labarbera in this game....

By chance did you check the schedule and realize we are playing back to back games with Col and Dal? Please tell me how playing Labarbara tonight would have made any difference then playing Garon against Dallas the following? Wouldnt it be smarter to play the hotter goalie (LaBarbara) against our division rival (Dallas)? Oh yeah, BTW, chalk up another win for the "professional dumbass" who professionaly has a better grasp on things than you.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:02 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Also remember before last night, Garon played against teams with a record of 12-5-1 and Conan played against teams with a record of 5-12-1.

The tandem should continue.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Matt13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjt9864
Until the Kings go out and get a goaltender, they are never really going to enjoy regular success ..

and while i am at it .. their defence looks slow ...

10/19/2005

Garon Wins - 1
jmjt9864 Wins - 0

Old
10-20-2005, 01:29 PM
AnThGrt

Send a message via AIM to AnThGrt
I agree that Garon came up big in the 3rd and ended up doing better. That being said to my comment that Lab's body would of blocked several of the shots i have the game tivoed. As you said one goal was less then an inch over Garon's shoulder which would of hit Lab's and forgot which shot was like an inch or less to the right of Garon's body.

Old
10-20-2005, 01:34 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsjohn
Also remember before last night, Garon played against teams with a record of 12-5-1 and Conan played against teams with a record of 5-12-1.

The tandem should continue.
The reason this thread is lame is because Garon doesn't suck. Garon has had sucky moments, but he's not a bad goaltender by ANY stretch. He had some rust after being off for a while.

His first goal was soft. Fine. Every goalie gets one per game. Goals 2-4 were VERY well-played and I doubt ANY netminder would have been able to stop those.

Garon also came up HUGE when the team needed it - stopping Sakic on a clear breakaway just before the 2nd period ended - the Kings tied the game soon after.

He also came up HUGE in the 3rd during the last minute when the Avs had 6-5. Several good chances from point blank range that he stopped.

Sloppy play at first and he stepped it up from period 2 on. Kept the Kings motivated to win, and they did.

The Kings SHOULD have won this game - they are the better team, and the sooner the fans realize this isn't the clutch and grab NHL any more, scoring is higher and teams can come back from big deficits, the better (horrid officiating of last night's game aside).

The sooner some of their "fans" stop throwing in the towel when we're down TWO to 1, much less 4 to 1, the sooner those same fans will realize that this Kings team is QUITE talented and capable of coming up with what it takes to win on any night.

- T

Old
10-20-2005, 01:49 PM
Doctor No
Mod Supervisor
Retired?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnThGrt
I agree that Garon came up big in the 3rd and ended up doing better. That being said to my comment that Lab's body would of blocked several of the shots i have the game tivoed. As you said one goal was less then an inch over Garon's shoulder which would of hit Lab's and forgot which shot was like an inch or less to the right of Garon's body.
Right. Because LaBarbera would have been standing in exactly the same place, with exactly the same reaction time. Except he's bigger.

I was at the game, and Garon couldn't really be faulted. The Avs' goals were great shots, and then they coasted (like they always seem to lately).

Old
10-20-2005, 02:10 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
The reason this thread is lame is because Garon doesn't suck. Garon has had sucky moments, but he's not a bad goaltender by ANY stretch. He had some rust after being off for a while.

His first goal was soft. Fine. Every goalie gets one per game. Goals 2-4 were VERY well-played and I doubt ANY netminder would have been able to stop those.

Garon also came up HUGE when the team needed it - stopping Sakic on a clear breakaway just before the 2nd period ended - the Kings tied the game soon after.

He also came up HUGE in the 3rd during the last minute when the Avs had 6-5. Several good chances from point blank range that he stopped.

Sloppy play at first and he stepped it up from period 2 on. Kept the Kings motivated to win, and they did.

The Kings SHOULD have won this game - they are the better team, and the sooner the fans realize this isn't the clutch and grab NHL any more, scoring is higher and teams can come back from big deficits, the better (horrid officiating of last night's game aside).

The sooner some of their "fans" stop throwing in the towel when we're down TWO to 1, much less 4 to 1, the sooner those same fans will realize that this Kings team is QUITE talented and capable of coming up with what it takes to win on any night.

- T

Garon may not suck bit he is not a legit #1 goalie.
this is exactly what we saw in Manchester last year, he would give up real soft goals from the blueline then make the insane save.

Old
10-20-2005, 02:19 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
Garon may not suck bit he is not a legit #1 goalie.
this is exactly what we saw in Manchester last year, he would give up real soft goals from the blueline then make the insane save.

Instead of reminiscing on his play in the minors and comparing that to every game he has in the NHL (please don't imply it's event remotely the same caliber either), why not instead actually look at the game he played last night? And how does our sloppy defense get a free pass in all this?

He had one soft goal - out of 4! Both teams played a sloppy game. You can't blame Aebischer either - one soft goal and he was hung out to dry on the rest.

Two teams played a sloppy game. It's the good teams that find a way to win. AM told the team he wasn't going to pull Garon because he didn't want it to excuse the rest of the team's play. He also told the team that Garon was staying in, and that he'd shut them down - and he did. That's what builds confidence, not yanking the guy and giving the rest of the D a free pass for sloppy TEAM play.

- T

Last edited by TonySCV: 10-20-2005 at 02:26 PM.
Old
10-20-2005, 03:11 PM
Sorts

I've watched LaBarbera for several years now, and while he has improved under the guidance of Benoit Allaire, he'll never be a natural goalie - he just doesn't have the lateral quickness. IMO, if he had been in goal last night, LA would not have come away with the W.

Old
10-20-2005, 05:08 PM
Osprey

Quote:
That was my point, too. There's a big difference between playing sucky at the moment and being a sucky goaltender. Garon was awesome in Montreal and is highly-touted. To call him a sucky goaltender basically equals calling him a bust and wishing he were dumped. Either is incredibly stupid, especially after only 4 games.

Old
10-20-2005, 05:31 PM
Face Wash

I'm not saying I like one goalie over another, but Conan in my opinion, has given up more soft goals than Garon even though he's given up fewer goals. Also, LaBarbera has yet to play wearing a white uniform.

We'll see what he does tonite.

Old
10-20-2005, 05:41 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
The reason this thread is lame is because Garon doesn't suck. Garon has had sucky moments, but he's not a bad goaltender by ANY stretch.

Quote:
I'll say they weren't BAD goals, but they weren't unstopable. If Manny Fernadez was our goalie Avs would have only scored 1 or 2 goals last night.

Quote:
Okay I'll give him that. But he would have never had to come up huge if he haden't played so poorly earlier in the game.

Quote:
Not really. I think you need to watch the game again. I would expect any NHL level goalie to come up with those saves.

Quote:

- T
I'll agree with that.

But the bottom line is that Garon has not played well this year, and he's not getting any better, only worse. Not to mention the fact that his mechanics have been bad.

I'm not saying that we should give up on him just yet. I think we should keep doing the rotation, but if Garon doesn't starting picking it soon then everyone's gonna have to admit to themselves that Garon is not the answer.

More than likely Garon won't be our starter at the end of the season.

Old
10-21-2005, 09:39 AM
PRMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face Wash
I'm not saying I like one goalie over another, but Conan in my opinion, has given up more soft goals than Garon even though he's given up fewer goals. Also, LaBarbera has yet to play wearing a white uniform.

We'll see what he does tonite.
He looked great, as usual. 2nd in the NHL great in fact.

Look, LaBarbera may not look pretty doing it, but he gets the job done.

Garon looks smooth as glass, but he's not an NHL goaltender right now numbers-wise and he has a long way to go to get there.

Closed Thread