HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik to start Friday

Old
10-05-2011, 09:11 PM
NYR Viper

vCash: 500
If Wolski is going to play on the 3rd line (which I agree with BTW) than I hope Sather looks to move him for a better suited player for that line moving forward. They need a physical presence on that line.

I am fine with:

Dubinsky-Richards-Gaborik
Fedotenko-Anisimov-Callahan

Rupp-Boyle-Prust

Someone in the Chris Kelly/Blake Wheeler mold would be perfect (not saying either of those players are available).

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:15 PM
BK201

what do you guys think about Zuccarello. he's mall in all but do you guys see him lasting on the third line?

BK201 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:25 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
FWIW...i hate those lines.
I'm not loving them either. That's one hell of a checking line.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:36 PM
SRTtoZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Wait...People are complaining we have Dubi-Richards-Gabby?

REALLY?

Some of you can't be ****ing pleased.
Not only that but can we please play a few regular season games before people want lines switched? How does that even make sense...are you REALLY going by Preseason? A lot of teams struggle in preseason and end up being good teams and vice versa. Lets play a few games before you guys kill Torts.

SRTtoZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:39 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

these lines are sketchy.

torts really must work extra hard coming up with combos that are bound to not work

doesnt matter, well see everyone mixed up and changed the moment we dont score for 2 periods.

w2 already on line 3 ?. ill give him 2 games before hes demoted to line 5

chemistry.... who needs stinkin chemistry
Well when you're a head coach that doesn't actually do anything, I guess it makes you feel important if you're constantly changing the lines around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Wait, who's been coaching in the NHL again for the past decade?
You played for him? I'm only interested because I'm curious as to what it is he actually does. His assistant runs the defense pairings and draws up plays. Every time a player is acquired or someone is called up he talks about how he knows nothing about them/never heard of them/needs to get to know them. Other than constantly juggling lines for the sake of juggling lines, and talking **** to the media because he gets irritated that their job is to ask him questions, what DOES Torts do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Without stat surfing, yes, I did, and most people who paid attention would tell you that line was a huge defensive liability and a turnover monster.

Does that mean Stepan is a bad defensive player? No, it doesn't.

But Stepan flanked by two liabilities, creates a small issue.

Besides that, where have I called Stepan a bad defensive player for you to ask why I KEEP saying it?

Im not at all worried about Stepan. In fact id like him to get more ice time then he probably will.

Id like him getting top PP unit time, and id like him to get PK time as well.

I don't think its in anyones best interest to have that line together too long, though. I have no faith in Wolski unless the puck is deep in the offensive zone.

Wolski should be with Anisimov and Callahan who are two of the team's top two way forwards.

I don't believe I've said anything detracting about Stepan, ever, other then his skating and faceoffs need work.
Agree 100%. Stepan isn't the issue, but putting him next to Wolski and MZA is just a disaster waiting to happen. Torts likes to act like he knows what he's talking about but I'd love to hear an explanation for that one.

I'll repeat my opinion that I think Stepan should get more ice time than Boyle. I hope that happens. I know it did last year for the most part but I just think that Stepan's potential is so much higher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepanformayor View Post
Hey Supersonic, did you watch any games last year? Stepan had the second best plus minus of any of our forwards, and had the 4th most ice time. Why do you always comment on what a liability he is in his own end. He was a 20 year old 185 pounder that in most peoples minds outplayed most of the forwards on this team last year. Also Ruckus, Why do you think that Wolski Step Zuc line is the forth line? Prust Rupp and Boyle are forth line guys. If we would of not had all the injuries last year Prust and Boyle would of been are 4th line guys.
There is definitely a chance that Torts' love affair changes this season, but if we're basing it on last year I think it's quite obvious that he values players like Prust and Boyle more than Wolski and MZA. It just so happens your Stepan has been squeezed between the two of them in this scenario. I'm a big Stepan fan myself but if he's centering those two I don't see how they get more significant minutes than Boyle and Prust. I agree with you that when they're with Rupp it's a more traditional 4th line, I just don't think Torts has any faith in Wolski, and pairing him with MZA is a disaster if we're ever in our own zone.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:42 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
If Wolski is going to play on the 3rd line (which I agree with BTW) than I hope Sather looks to move him for a better suited player for that line moving forward. They need a physical presence on that line.

I am fine with:

Fedotenko-Anisimov-Callahan

Rupp-Boyle-Prust

Someone in the Chris Kelly/Blake Wheeler mold would be perfect (not saying either of those players are available).
Why would they trade Wolski for a "physical presence" when they could have kept Avery for half the cap hit?

Wolski was kept here to provide offense.

If they trade him for a physical presence it will make the Avery move look even stupider.

Old
10-05-2011, 09:44 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
what do you guys think about Zuccarello. he's mall in all but do you guys see him lasting on the third line?
His vision and passing ability are second to Richards on this team IMO. It looks like he'll get decent PP time and if that's the case I think he'll really be in a position to thrive.

5 on 5 I still think he's a liability and doesn't bring enough. But if he produces on the PP consistently it should be worth it and might be enough to keep him around all year.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:04 PM
BK201

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus View Post
His vision and passing ability are second to Richards on this team IMO. It looks like he'll get decent PP time and if that's the case I think he'll really be in a position to thrive.

5 on 5 I still think he's a liability and doesn't bring enough. But if he produces on the PP consistently it should be worth it and might be enough to keep him around all year.
I like him so I hope he does stay around.

BK201 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:08 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK201 View Post
I like him so I hope he does stay around.
To me, it looks like Torts has put his stock in MZA this year. I think he looks at him as young and talented enough to ride it out. Last year he thought he needed to get used to the NA style and smaller rink. I'm sure he still feels that way to an extent, but at the same time he's hitched his horse to MZA's trailer.

MZA has a lot of things going against him, but if he produces offensively I think he'll be here for the long haul. And I expect him to get enough PP time to prove his worth. His passing ability and offensive hockey sense should be money if he gets consistent PP time.

If he doesn't, well he brings nothing else to the table. I think Torts will give him a pretty long leash, but at some point there will need to be results.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:11 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Wolski - Richards - Gabby
Pack
Fed - Stepan - MZA
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

imho these make the most sense. Feds balances out Stepan and MZA's lack of defensive awareness, the pack line pretty much plays like a top line despite no real top line players on that line, and Wolski plays with 2 guys who should maximize his offensive potential.

why the hell hasnt this been the lineup for even 1 preseason game

*grumble grumble grumble*

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:20 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
Wolski - Richards - Gabby
Pack
Fed - Stepan - MZA
Rupp - Boyle - Prust

imho these make the most sense. Feds balances out Stepan and MZA's lack of defensive awareness, the pack line pretty much plays like a top line despite no real top line players on that line, and Wolski plays with 2 guys who should maximize his offensive potential.

why the hell hasnt this been the lineup for even 1 preseason game

*grumble grumble grumble*

I agree I think those lines are the most ideal but here are my musings on that.

I think it's pretty clear that what Torts has seen is Wolski being completely invisible in the very brief time he got alongside Richards and Gabby. Is it too premature on Torts' part to already go away from it, even before the season starts? Most likely yes, but that's what he's doing. And he's doing it because Wolski hasn't even shown up. Can you remember when you noticed Wolski at all this preseason? Dubi makes that line better no doubt about it. Problem is it makes the rest of the team worse. Which is more valuable and which produces more wins? We don't know yet. I'm siding with you, but either way it was only a matter time before Dubi got his chance there. Might as well see if it works from the get-go.

Old
10-05-2011, 11:12 PM
XLJ

I just think he needs to switch Wolski and Fedotenko. Wolski would add more offense to Artys line and Feds would make Steps line more balanced.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Norwegian
Pitbull Sniper

Ruckus Avery was waived because of his cap, and because he just isnt good enough.

You keep going on about MZA and W2 being a liability, but your hero Avery was the one with a- rating (-4) Mza had a pluss 3(take away the terrible game against the isl, and he would have had pluss6) and w2 pluss 8 rating. It seems a bit odd to me that the man that has so much more other than offence to bring. Ranks in the bottom in every singel statistic( i know that stats isnt averything, but it tels you something)

Norwegian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:55 PM
Miller Time NYR

Quote:
So basically Wolski-Step-Zuccarello is our fourth line? There's no way they get more ice time than Prust-Boyle-Rupp.
the PRB line might get the nod in situational defensive situations, the wolski-step-zuc are a legitimate goal threat on a nightly basis.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:26 AM
irishsuperhero

In my opinion our first second and fourth lines are stacked, but i am seriously worried about the 3rd line...and thats not normal.

irishsuperhero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:40 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
I'll repeat my opinion that I think Stepan should get more ice time than Boyle. I hope that happens. I know it did last year for the most part but I just think that Stepan's potential is so much higher.
Stepan was gassed halfway through the season. He got plenty of ice-time. His TOI should increase this year. And next year.

Quote:
Why would they trade Wolski for a "physical presence" when they could have kept Avery for half the cap hit?

Wolski was kept here to provide offense.

If they trade him for a physical presence it will make the Avery move look even stupider.
Avery's never been a physical presence.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:53 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Love our 1st line. Wolski on that line is a recipe for disaster. All three forwards would be somewhat a liability defensively. The opposition would have a field day with that group as well. Dubinsky also offers a little bit of muscle, which is pretty damn important if you ask me.

I was hoping to see Wolski on our second line. The defensive competence both AA+Cally provide should open up some room for him too. I don't have any problem with Feds there though. Feds and Dubi were on the ice for every important shift last season. Torts used them for all key situations. His go-to-guys at LW. I can understand his reasoning. Feds is one of our better forecheckers. He'll fit right in with the AA+Cally. I'd trust that line against anyone.

Wolski Stepan MZA had some nice moments last season. They should be facing off against 3rd pairing dmen most of the time too. Can't really have MZA or Erixon on the blue-line with this unit. That scares the hell out of me.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:05 AM
ColonialsHockey10

I like the first line, however I absolutely hate the others. Unfortunately I don't see Stepan matching with any of these players for the time being. Not until he can keep up with them.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:08 AM
ohbaby

Guys, this is the NY Rangers we're talking about. 1st line, 4th line makes no difference. All the guys are interchangeable other than Richards and maybe Gabby. The pack line might get more minutes than the top line and the 4th line might get more than the 3rd. So who is the first line, and who's the 4th,... makes no difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Don't be so harsh on Torts. Really, 16 minutes man? Enough is enough about Tortorella with the line changing. That said, it will take at least 18 minutes...
You guys never give up on ripping torts line changes. These lines will last longer than you think. He'll give it at least a full period.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:23 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

these lines are sketchy.

torts really must work extra hard coming up with combos that are bound to not work

doesnt matter, well see everyone mixed up and changed the moment we dont score for 2 periods.

w2 already on line 3 ?. ill give him 2 games before hes demoted to line 5

chemistry.... who needs stinkin chemistry
why do i get the feeling you'd complain about any line up that doesnt contain Avery, Valentenko, and Lisin?

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:55 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Eh, much to do about nothing if you ask me. I think Torts probably likes what the Pack Line brings to the table, and if you're moving Dubinsky to the first line, Feds comes closer to Dubinsky's style of play than Wolski does, thus minimizing any adverse effects to that line.

I would think there will be a move made at some point if nobody internally can win that 1st line LW spot. Then next year we let go of EC, re-sign Feds, and use Rupp as the 13th forward assuming Kreider wins a 3rd line spot. Otherwise Feds takes that 3rd line spot and we find another bottom line / spare forward.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:57 AM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
I like the first line, however I absolutely hate the others. Unfortunately I don't see Stepan matching with any of these players for the time being. Not until he can keep up with them.
Agreed. Personally, I'd try:

Dubi-Richards-Gabby
WW-AA-Cally
Boyle-Stepan-MZA
Feds-Rupp-Prust

or

Dubi-Richards-Gabby
WW-AA-Cally
Feds-Stepan-MZA
Rupp-Boyle-Prust

BrooklynRangersFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:00 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Agreed. Personally, I'd try:

Dubi-Richards-Gabby
WW-AA-Cally
Boyle-Stepan-MZA
Feds-Rupp-Prust
i feel like if we're going to move boyle to the wing we should try him with AA and Cally

i could definately see him as a poor-man's dubinsky on that line

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:08 AM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i feel like if we're going to move boyle to the wing we should try him with AA and Cally

i could definately see him as a poor-man's dubinsky on that line
I mentioned something very similar in the bold predictions thread. From what I've seen in preseason, it looks like Boyle has improved again over the offseason. He looks stronger, faster, and meaner. I don't think he should be relegated to 4th line duty, especially when he has more upside and is younger than Feds. I love what Feds brings to the table, but he doesn't really belong anywhere other than the 4th line. This is the lineup I would like to see eventually:

Boyle-Anisimov-Callahan
Wolski-Stepan-Zuccarello
Fedotenko-Rupp-Prust

TheGrapesOfMcIlrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:39 AM
bleuetbio

To be an Avs fan in the fans, I think Wolski will get an hard time there. This guy could be a realy good player, but played his hockey like when he was with Joe Sakic. Then, he wasn't able to get a similar center. Brad Richards supposes to be this kind of mentor for him but it seems they prefer to waste his talent. The country club philosophy is not so far away. Rangers need to change their way of thinking if they want to be on top

bleuetbio is offline   Reply With Quote