HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mark Stone invited to Hockey Canada's world junior summer evaluation camp

Old
06-18-2011, 01:45 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
Is what I say.

Completely agree. Akeson of the Kitchener Rangers tied Toffoli for the OHL lead this year, he never got drafted, and signed as a Undrafted FA.

Points do not equal success at the next level. Heck, I averaged 1.36 Points Per Game in Peewee, finished 3rd in the league in scoring, but was nowhere near good enough to make the competitive AA team.
...Maybe management thought you were a flight risk to the KHL?

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 01:57 PM
backdoorpass

stone already worked on his skating and is miles ahead of how he was in his draft year

points dont equal success and i higher level, but stone does way more then points, points are just gravey with him and showing his skill, he can fight and hit as well and play both ends, i really like this kid and i think hes going to be a player fans love in ottawa

backdoorpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 01:57 PM
koreaboy

johnny, when he left the league what, 4-5 years ago now? are you trying to tell me he was an effective player? and since then, would the problem have gotten better or worse?

i bet you if alexei yashin got off a plane from russia tomorrow and said he was going to commit himself fully to coming back and playing in the NHL, he wouldnt crack an NHL squad in october.

koreaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 02:19 PM
Afro Thunder*

[QUOTE=backdoorpass;33726647]stone already worked on his skating and is miles ahead of how he was in his draft year

/QUOTE]

Good to hear this.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 02:20 PM
backdoorpass

i will take that bet for how ever much you want

backdoorpass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Fenix Rises 2026
Alfie forever!

I haven't seen enough of Stone's play, so I'll fall back on statistics to gauge his potential.

Of the 21 guys who have cracked 100 points in the WHL since 2001....
  • 8 are, were or will be NHLers (RNH, Williams, Brouwer, Fehr, Christensen, Eberle, Tyler Johnson (ELC), and Lupul)
  • 7 will likely never play in the NHL at this point in their careers
  • The remaining 6 are "yet to be determined" (likely a few will play in the NHL).

Based on this, I'd say Stone's got about a 50-50 chance of cracking the NHL.

Fenix Rises 2026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 06:23 PM
King City Warrior

I had to get around the online thing's subscription to get this but Mark is fully aware of his skating, he doesn't need anyone telling him about it haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba Troopa View Post
Excellent news about stone. Are the rumours about his poor skating true? I get the sense that judging him just by his nnumbers alone would be a mistake?
In regards to Stone's skating, he is not fast, but he is strong on his skates and is very good in the corners, in addition he is hard to knock off the puck, and these parts of skating are obviously very important, probably more important than outright speed. In any case his hockey IQ and vision allows him to get to pucks by seeing the play develop ahead of time so his skating doesn't hold him back significantly there, but obviously of course he would really benefit from improved speed.

http://www.brandonsun.com/sports/loc...919.html?thx=y

Quote:
Mark Stone is headed to Fort McMurray this summer in search of a job, but not the kind of employment that draws thousands of oilsands workers to the northern Alberta city.

Stone and 45 other young Canadians are bound for Fort McMurray and Edmonton in early August to audition for the national team that will host the 2012 world junior hockey championship in Calgary and Edmonton.

Stone, a Western Hockey League all-star from the Brandon Wheat Kings, is among 26 forwards invited to the development camp, set for Aug. 3-7. The camp roster was announced Friday, but he heard the news the night before from Kelowna Rockets head coach Ryan Huska, an assistant with Team Canada.

"I was pretty excited when he called to congratulate me," Stone, 19, said Friday from his hometown of Winnipeg. "At the end of the (season), I thought maybe I could get a chance to go to the summer camp. It's obviously just a stepping-stone to the winter camp in December, but it's always good to get invited to these camps and have a chance to go show what you've got.

"This is a huge tournament. It's a big deal for Canada every year. They haven't won in two years, so they want to win a gold on home ice and I obviously want to be a part of it, being my last year of eligibility. So I'm going to go and try to give it my best and see what happens."

Stone left little to chance this past season in leading the Wheat Kings with 106 points, including 37 goals, in 71 games. He tied for third in WHL scoring with Red Deer Rebels centre Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, a top candidate for next Friday's NHL entry draft and one of the 1993-born players invited to the national junior team's development camp.

"It was the first time in a while that I've been healthy for almost all 72 games this year, so that was a huge thing for me," said Stone, an Ottawa Senators' sixth-round draft choice whose older brother Michael, a former Calgary Hitmen captain, is a Phoenix Coyotes' prospect who just finished his first pro season.

Michael Stone was perhaps the best CHL defenceman not on the Canadian junior team that lost to the U.S. in overtime in the 2010 tournament final at Saskatoon.

"He didn't attend any of these national junior camps, but he had a successful junior career," Mark Stone said of his brother. "He played in the Team WHL (all-star) games, he knows how hard it is to make these teams, and he's obviously going to have some good input on that. Me and him have been training together ever since he got home in May. He broke his nose towards the end of the year, so he hasn't been in full health quite yet. But he's been a big influence on me -- seeing him go play pro and all the things that he's accomplished so far in his career."

The older Stone broke his nose while playing with the AHL's San Antonio Rampage.

"Yeah, it was a scrap, unfortunately," Mark said with a laugh. "I don't think the Stones are very good at fighting."

The Stones, however, are good at other things. Mark is a power forward whose breakthrough season made him the Wheat Kings' player of the year. He believes he still has work to do to make the world junior grade.

Stone is bound for Ottawa's development camp at the end of this month. The AHL's Binghamton Senators won the Calder Cup this spring, so he's looking forward to comparing notes with some of those Ottawa prospects and perhaps meeting former Winnipeg Jet Paul MacLean, the new head coach of the NHL Senators.

"I'm still not considered a very good skater," said the6-foot-3, 203-pound right-winger. "When you go and play against these international teams, they're fast and they're skilled. You've got to keep up with them. This summer, I'm obviously going to have to keep working on it. I think I have some really good tools this summer to use and I'm just really excited to not only go to this camp, but to get the next season started."

Although the Coyotes didn't land back in Winnipeg, the city is celebrating the arrival of the former Atlanta Thrashers.

"I think the city has really come along since the Jets left in (1996)," Mark Stone said. "I think the time is right (for the NHL's return). The city is growing and it's going to grow even more. Obviously, it would have been pretty neat for my brother if the Coyotes had come back, but it didn't happen. Now, for the city of Winnipeg, it's just huge to have a team playing in the National Hockey League next year."

OVERTIME: Medicine Hat Tigers goaltender Tyler Bunz is among the 13 WHL players invited to Team Canada's development camp. ... Two of Stone's former Team West under-17 teammates, Quinton Howden of Oakbank, Man., and Jaden Schwartz of Wilcox, Sask., are among seven Canadian junior players back from the 2011 silver-medal team.

Last edited by King City Warrior: 06-18-2011 at 06:49 PM.
King City Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-18-2011, 06:29 PM
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™

First of all, he is now 37. Most guys do not play that long.

He was fine with the Isles until he got his arm skated over, then played pretty well on a crappy team after the lockout, then wrecked his knee and was bought out.

Yashin in his Ottawa years and some of his Islander years would have no trouble playing in today's NHL.

The fact that he is a huge ****** that everyone hated is clouding your memory I think.

John Holmes* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 09:34 AM
Xspyrit

If Mark Stone becomes a clone of Penner and Eric Fehr, I'll be more than happy. He looks like a real gamer who will improve just every year by hard work and determination, until he reaches his peak. The force is strong with him. lol

Xspyrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:12 PM
Yashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuba Troopa View Post
FYI - Mark stone's 106 point season is the 9th highest scoring total in the regular season over the past decade. (Tied with RNH and Jordan Eberle)

To gauge where Stone may end up, here are the players that have put up 100 plus points in the last decade. I'm not as impressed by this list as I would have thought. A few decent NHLers, but far from a sure thing for these guys to crack the league.

Linden Vey (116 points)
4th round pick
6.5C by HF

Tyler Johnson (115 points)
Undrafted, just signed an ELC with Tampa)

Mark Stone (106 points)
6th round pick
6.5C by HF

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (106 points)
Predicted 1st overall

Brandon Kozun (107 points)
6th Round pick
Put up 48 points in AHL this season
7.0C by HF

Jordan Eberle (106 points)
Edmonton Oiler/WJHC star

Jordan Weal (102 points)
3rd round pick
6.5C by HF
1 pt in 7 games in AHL this season

Casey Pierro-Zabotel (115 points)
3rd round pick
Playing in ECHL

Brandon Kozun (108 points)
see above

Brett Sonne (100 points)
3rd Round Pick
Below average numbers in AHL

Mark Santorelli (101 points)
4th round pick
A little over 20 points in AHL last season

Colin Long (100 points)
4th round pick
ECHL

Troy Brouwer (102 points)
7th round pick
Chicago Blackhawks (36 points last year)

Eric Fehr
18th overall
NHL

Tyler Redenbach
Round 3
SM-Liiga

Jeremy Williams
Round 7
Borderline NHLer

Erik Christensen
Round 3
NHL

Jesse Schultz
Career Minor Leaguer

Jeremy Jackson
Stopped playing after junior

Nathan Barrett
ECHL

Joffrey Lupul
NHL

Eric Johansson
8th round
Playing in Europe
I was going through the hockeydb page for most of the nobody's on that list, and you would be surprised at how many actually had multiple 100+ pts seasons.

EDIT: I have NO idea how this got into this thread. I was replying in the other Marc Stone thread. so sorry

Last edited by Yashin: 10-05-2011 at 10:16 PM. Reason: i don't know
Yashin is offline   Reply With Quote