HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Experts Predict Miller To Win Vezina

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-05-2011, 09:44 PM
  #1
LGB24
Registered User
 
LGB24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,625
vCash: 500
Experts Predict Miller To Win Vezina

The NHL experts on TSN made a number of predictions before the start of the season and Miller ran away with the Vezina

Ryan Miller 50%
Luongo 10%
Fleury 10%
Thomas 10%
Rinne 5%
Price 5%
Bryzgalov 5%
Quick 5%

They also chose the sabres to finish 6th in the east

Gotta be honest, if Miller wins the Vezina I dont see a chance this team doesnt win the Northeast

LGB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:47 PM
  #2
dire wolf
be cool
 
dire wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 4,211
vCash: 500
I don't understand how you can predict the Vezina before the season starts. Makes no sense to me.

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:49 PM
  #3
gallagt01
Registered User
 
gallagt01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Sloan
Posts: 8,650
vCash: 500
Miller doesn't even have to win the Vezina for this team to win the Northeast. He needs to play a lot better than he did last year, but not Vezina-calibre.

I think he'll have a big year with respect to the new D.

gallagt01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:49 PM
  #4
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,444
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
It's possible with a new defense in front of him, he will be ready every night tho and with some help just might be the best of the best; but it's way to soon to predict.

To be honest I hope he doesn't read or hear TSN.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:49 PM
  #5
Afino
The Juice
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Orchard Park, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 21,326
vCash: 500
Gives the talking heads something to talk about.

Afino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:53 PM
  #6
dire wolf
be cool
 
dire wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 4,211
vCash: 500
Oooh, look at me. I'm a "hockey expert"


dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:07 PM
  #7
CriminallyVu1gar
LGBTerrific
 
CriminallyVu1gar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 832
vCash: 500
A lot of that is based on experts picking Boston to repeat as division champs, something I don't think will happen. It's one thing to pick a Vancouver or a SJ to win their division again because they're more talented than the other teams. But boston is a team that relied on a lot of guys having really good or career years. Statistically speaking, that doesn't repeat.

I think Boston isn't as healthy and doesn't get as good goaltending and settles in around 96 points.

CriminallyVu1gar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:12 PM
  #8
dire wolf
be cool
 
dire wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 4,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CriminallyVu1gar View Post
A lot of that is based on experts picking Boston to repeat as division champs, something I don't think will happen. It's one thing to pick a Vancouver or a SJ to win their division again because they're more talented than the other teams. But boston is a team that relied on a lot of guys having really good or career years. Statistically speaking, that doesn't repeat.

I think Boston isn't as healthy and doesn't get as good goaltending and settles in around 96 points.
Nice username! I am the son and the heir . . .

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:17 PM
  #9
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation
 
Timbo Slice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Rochester
Country: United States
Posts: 15,655
vCash: 500
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Miller won. Personally, I think Lundqvist will win it, but Miller should be top 3 in voting.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:23 PM
  #10
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted
 
HarryNealesGarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: BOS
Country: United States
Posts: 4,244
vCash: 500
50% (4/8) gave it to him in ESPN's projections too - Barnaby/Bucci/Levy/LeBrun

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:26 PM
  #11
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,444
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
I wouldn't be surprised at all if Miller won. Personally, I think Lundqvist will win it, but Miller should be top 3 in voting.
Lundqvist is my pick as the best going into this season, that dude can play the game... we will see.

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:36 PM
  #12
HarryNealesGarden
Big Daddy Ted
 
HarryNealesGarden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: BOS
Country: United States
Posts: 4,244
vCash: 500
Really though, with a vastly improved defense in front of him, a deep and talented forward corps and the comfort of a new owner and a new wife... hey, why WOULDN'T the guy be a good bet?

HarryNealesGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:40 PM
  #13
dire wolf
be cool
 
dire wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 4,211
vCash: 500
If they are basing a Vezina prediction on better defense, then they don't understand how the award is supposed to work. Maybe they are thinking of the Jennings?

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:45 PM
  #14
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel
 
haseoke39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
If they are basing a Vezina prediction on better defense, then they don't understand how the award is supposed to work. Maybe they are thinking of the Jennings?
I'll counter in that case, that 30 NHL general managers don't understand how the Vezina is supposed to work. Most goaltenders who win it talk a lot about how the defense in front of them enables them to look as good as they do. I fully expect Miller to have a much better year statistically with better defense in front of him.

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:46 PM
  #15
Sabretip
Registered User
 
Sabretip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Country: United States
Posts: 7,927
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
The NHL experts on TSN made a number of predictions before the start of the season and Miller ran away with the Vezina

Ryan Miller 50%
Luongo 10%
Fleury 10%
Thomas 10%
Rinne 5%
Price 5%
Bryzgalov 5%
Quick 5%

They also chose the sabres to finish 6th in the east
Miller seems perfectly capable - all one has to do is look at how Thomas went from the penthouse to the outhouse and back to the penthouse in span of 3 seasons. Miller's younger and has less of a rebound from last season than Thomas did. The Sabres' defense is every bit as good as the Bruins' defense IMO, which will increase Miller's chances for a 2nd Vezina even more.

Most media outlets seem to have the Sabres finishing anywhere between 3rd to 6th.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGB24 View Post
Gotta be honest, if Miller wins the Vezina I dont see a chance this team doesnt win the Northeast
Frankly, even if Miller doesn't win the Vezina, I think the Sabres win the Northeast. The team is much deeper and stronger now than they were 2 years ago, when Miller and Myers essentially carried them on their backs IMO.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:01 PM
  #16
dire wolf
be cool
 
dire wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 4,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

Frankly, even if Miller doesn't win the Vezina, I think the Sabres win the Northeast. The team is much deeper and stronger now than they were 2 years ago, when Miller and Myers essentially carried them on their backs IMO.
Whether we win the NE will also have a lot to do with how good Thomas is this year, and whether Seguin will establish himself as an offensive force.

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:47 PM
  #17
jflory81
Irken Elite
 
jflory81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 21,008
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
If they are basing a Vezina prediction on better defense, then they don't understand how the award is supposed to work. Maybe they are thinking of the Jennings?
No goalie puts up the stats necessary to win the Vezina without a dedicated defense in front of him. Poor defense in front of you will adversely affect the numbers required to win the thing.

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:32 AM
  #18
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life
 
enrothorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Downtown Buffalo
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,528
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Steve Levy picks Buffalo to beat LA in the cup final.

enrothorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:24 AM
  #19
glassjaw*
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,238
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrothorne View Post
Steve Levy picks Buffalo to beat LA in the cup final.
That would be too good to be true.

glassjaw* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:40 AM
  #20
dire wolf
be cool
 
dire wolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Cali
Country: United States
Posts: 4,211
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflory81 View Post
No goalie puts up the stats necessary to win the Vezina without a dedicated defense in front of him. Poor defense in front of you will adversely affect the numbers required to win the thing.
Not sure if Hasek will back you up on that one.

dire wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:56 AM
  #21
Robert
Foligno family
 
Robert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KY & Lime Lake NY
Country: United States
Posts: 30,444
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Robert
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Not sure if Hasek will back you up on that one.
...

Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:01 AM
  #22
jflory81
Irken Elite
 
jflory81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 21,008
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Not sure if Hasek will back you up on that one.
Buffalo's defense from that era was rather underrated. They certainly weren't "poor".

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 06:03 AM
  #23
TyMy57
Enroth is God
 
TyMy57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 789
vCash: 500
if it means anything to anyone, i just played this upcoming season with the Sabres and he won the Vezina..

TyMy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 10:55 AM
  #24
Gnuguy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 104
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I don't understand how you can predict the Vezina before the season starts. Makes no sense to me.
The entire notion of speculation or the Vezina in particular?

Gnuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 11:14 AM
  #25
skibum
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 405
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryNealesGarden View Post
Really though, with a vastly improved defense in front of him, a deep and talented forward corps and the comfort of a new owner and a new wife... hey, why WOULDN'T the guy be a good bet?
...and a legit backup for once!

skibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.