HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Voynov Assigned To Manchester - Roster is Now Complete

Old
10-05-2011, 09:22 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
Going to Euro is not always a great move. Bud Holloway right now has to be kicking himself. You can't tell me Bud coudln't have beat out Trent Hunter or Scott parse.

He is probably dying inside a little.
Serves him right. There were spots open before he bolted.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

vCash: 2200
Quote:
Going to Euro is not always a great move. Bud Holloway right now has to be kicking himself. You can't tell me Bud coudln't have beat out Trent Hunter or Scott parse.

In retrospect, not sure if Holloway would have been DL and TM's choice.

If VV and Lokti got sent down, I'm guessing, Holloway would have been sent down as well.

As a possible cup contender, seems to me the kings value experience more than anything else.

Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
also this isn't suprising, in order to win a spot, he had to outplay A-Mart, which he didnt. Even though it was only pre-season, A-Mart was far superior to VV in the defensive zone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucknut50 View Post
You probably know this but you do not want a talented kid sitting when he can be playing 20+ min in Manchester. Drewiske is now in the same position as P. Harrold was here. So when a player gets injured VV will be the first one recalled regardless if its a stay at home D.

VV, Drewiske, sign or trade for a veteran or Hickey. That is the order.
I 100% guarantee VV will see NHL ice this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
I would think that Drewiske is with the team as the #7 to fill in when one of the top 6 defensemen has a minor injury or just needs a night off. If a long term injury occurs either Muzzin, Voynov, or Hickey (outside chance) will get called up and inserted into the lineup. The player called up will depend on how they are playing in Manchester.

It would be dumb for Voynov to go back to Europe when he is so close to making it in the NHL. He is only 21 years old, what does he expect?
I agree with these guys above. You want Voynov to play the spot of Drew Doughty, Jack Johnson, Alec Martinez or maybe Willie Mitchell. Having Voynov play instead of Greene or Scuderi is hilarious since he's not that type of player or role. And I sure as hell don't see Voynov just being a 7th defenseman, he's way better than Drewiske. Drewiske is the spare part, the top six form the three pairs we will skate. I'm guessing if Greene or Scuderi get hurt, they'll call up Muzzin and or Hickey maybe. If DD8, JJ, AMart or Mitchell get hurt, they'll call up VV. If DD44 gets hurt, they'll call up Muzzin.

It really benefits VV and Hickey to play more and full time minutes in the AHL than be playing less than five minutes a night, maybe not even at all, in the NHL. Both those guys can still develop...Hickey needs to practice his NHL game more all around and VV needs to practice maybe his D. Muzzin is ready but his ceiling may not be as high as the other two.

I'm guessing Mitchell doesn't get re-signed when his contract is up, unless he gives like a 33% home team discount. He'll have to give up at least 200K a year.

- R

Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:02 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
Because Greene has rightfully earned a spot and deserves to play?

Greene is going to play every game that he's healthy. Does he have to? No, nobody has to, but he will. Which NHL team wouldn't have that be the case? He's paid his dues as well. He's a leader on the team. He's 27, played almost 400 games in the NHL, and an additional 30 in the playoffs. He's going to be in the lineup unless an injury takes him out.

Martinez had a spot to lose going into camp. Drewiske is a cheap 7th defenseman who doesn't need to play. Voynov doesn't have to be on the team. If Martinez doesn't play well, Voynov is a phone call away.
You're not telling me anything about Greene that I don't already know. The difference is, I'm thinking of the bigger picture (the stanley cup).

For discussion sake, let's back up a bit. My original post was questioning those who said that VV would have only played 10 games and thus the demotion. My point is, it didn't have to be only 10 games if VV was the 7th dman.

Ok, now that I've established that, my thinking behind Greene/AM/VV splitting 160+ games is that I'm thinking about the playoffs and the stanley cup. What would happen if one of the dmen were to go down with a season ending injury in the playoffs? Wouldn't you feel better about the situation had VV played 40+ nhl games as oppose to 10 nhl games or another full season down in the ahl with no nhl experience? I know I would.

Now, you could argue that DL could try and pick up a vet for the playoff run but who's to say that we'll be able swing a trade or that he'll be better than VV with 40 games of experience?

Back to Greene playing 70 games..I'm pretty sure a leader and a character guy like Greene would understand. He may not like it, but I think he would understand.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:10 PM
Black1963
Weal Deal, No Doubt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
Having Voynov play instead of Greene or Scuderi is hilarious since he's not that type of player or role.
- R
This is such a silly statement. Just because VV is in there in lieu of Greene doesn't mean he needs to fulfill Greene's style of play. VV just needs to play his game.

Did Harrold play Westy's game when he was in there against teams like the Red Wings?

Do you think TM inserted Harrold in the lineup to fight?

Old
10-05-2011, 10:15 PM
tigermask48
Maniacal Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
... Skating is Voynov's strongest talent. He is a FANTASTIC skater.
I think Kurri and Bunny were both talking about Parse who is from Michigan and Kurri's origional quote was in reference to Parse signing with Grand Rapids after his senior year instead of Manchester despite being a Kings prospect at the time... Mnay people saw it as a sign that Parse didn't want to play here and wanted to be a part of the Red Wings who he grew up a fan of.

Not sure how I feel about this move as I like the fact that the Kings keep Parse as that was the logical move, but at the same time I really think Voinov was impressive enough to force the Kings to keep him the way that Simmonds, Moller, and Clifford did... All the logic in me says this is a good move, but my heart says Voinov should stay even if he's a healthy scratch to start the year.

tigermask48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:47 PM
The Judge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
A very tough decision I'm sure.

Bottomline is, 44DD is a better player than a lot of us give him credit for. Not saying he's better than VV or that he deserved the last spot. Just that he's a big dman with solid potential.
Actually, it seems that is what you are saying....
Drewiske is just that "bad." I can't give him credit for playing the way he has played in the last 2 years.

The Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:58 PM
no name

I'd like to see him but let's get real here. The Kings are in the business to win. If they feel that their future is best served with him improving outside of the NHL then that is their choice. They owe nothing to Voynov. He was paid a nice signing bonus. Sure, Voynov can bolt, but there is no other league like the NHL. Work hard and earn your role when a chance arrives.
I'm certain that the Kings know they have a chance of losing him and they will be sure to smooth talk him.

no name is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:59 PM
Rorschach
33 #nottobedenied

Quote:
This is such a silly statement. Just because VV is in there in lieu of Greene doesn't mean he needs to fulfill Greene's style of play. VV just needs to play his game.

Did Harrold play Westy's game when he was in there against teams like the Red Wings?

Do you think TM inserted Harrold in the lineup to fight?
If you're making a Cup run, role players are pretty serious. For example, the Pens with Scuderi and Hal Gill. You really can't replace Greene with VV in that situation as our pair is Scuderi and Greene.

- R

Last edited by Rorschach: 10-05-2011 at 11:13 PM.
Rorschach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Julius Caesar Milan
Lord of the Shih Tzu

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
... Skating is Voynov's strongest talent. He is a FANTASTIC skater.
I agree, 100% about Voynov

What you quoted me saying was about Parse.

Julius Caesar Milan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:02 AM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
I think what Murray needs to do is find a way to make the Doughty-Johnson pairing work full time at even strength. We have both of these guys under contract for the next 7 years, one right handed and the other left handed. Both physically capable of playing 25+ minutes a night.

Murray's tried it sporadically, but ends it every time they look off. I think we need to force them together and let them build chemistry on the ice. If he can get them to work together, not only will it pay off in the long run and give us our version of the Neidermeyer/Pronger pairing, but it will make dressing 3 defensive defensemen redundant.
Niedermayer and Pronger rarely (if ever) played together at even strength. Pronger played with O'Donnell and Niedermayer played with Beauchemin.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:22 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
You're not telling me anything about Greene that I don't already know. The difference is, I'm thinking of the bigger picture (the stanley cup).

For discussion sake, let's back up a bit. My original post was questioning those who said that VV would have only played 10 games and thus the demotion. My point is, it didn't have to be only 10 games if VV was the 7th dman.

Ok, now that I've established that, my thinking behind Greene/AM/VV splitting 160+ games is that I'm thinking about the playoffs and the stanley cup. What would happen if one of the dmen were to go down with a season ending injury in the playoffs? Wouldn't you feel better about the situation had VV played 40+ nhl games as oppose to 10 nhl games or another full season down in the ahl with no nhl experience? I know I would.

Now, you could argue that DL could try and pick up a vet for the playoff run but who's to say that we'll be able swing a trade or that he'll be better than VV with 40 games of experience?

Back to Greene playing 70 games..I'm pretty sure a leader and a character guy like Greene would understand. He may not like it, but I think he would understand.
There isn't one team in the entire league that would do that though. If there's a defenseman near the end of the season who's a little older, or nursing an injury, a team might sit him for a game every now and then to rest him. But nobody is thinking about possibly losing a player for the year during the playoffs as the regular season is just about to start in October. Why would the Kings stop at Greene if that's the case? Everybody should sit for 10 games so that a couple guys from Manchester can get some NHL game action.

Your general point isn't the world's worst idea or anything, I'm sure every player around the league could benefit from an extra night off here and there during the year. But teams are paying these guys to play, and no team just splits games between players because there might be an injury 6 or 7 months from now. Teams do it because of 1) injury or 2) an inability of two or more players to play every night for whatever reason. Greene plays a physical game, Mitchell has had injury issues, Martinez isn't completely proven yet, and Doughty missed all of camp. Not to mention Johnson or Scuderi could do down at any time. There is potential there for missed games. Voynov may get a shot to play some during the season. If he doesn't, then he doesn't.

KingsFan7824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:35 AM
Axl Rhoadz*

Typical Kings fans....all of this whining and *****ing over a player who has yet to play in ONE single NHL game.

I just don't get it, what's the big deal? The guy will be the first d-man called up when there is an injury...and we all know that's going to happen a lot sooner than it is later.

Axl Rhoadz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:41 AM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
And let's not forget dmen usually take longer to develop. If you're looking at this from the Kings perspective VV is being developed perfectly. You want to take somebody's job? OK, then dominate Manchester. Then we'll start looking at trading a veteran dman IF it makes sense for the Kings. Until then VV is a PROSPECT, nothing more. Earn your stripes and do what you're told, you're an employee. If you cry about going to Russia then you lack the character this team needs.

Tikkanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:48 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan28 View Post
Every 2nd game? I think I'd be more like 5 or 6 games, but I see your point.
Well Drewiske has played 42 and 38 games the past two seasons, so pretty much every second game yeah.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:55 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:

If Holloway was here, one of Hunter or Moreau wouldn't even have been in camp. Possibly both. I think the Kings had him pencilled into the line up for this year.

Old
10-06-2011, 09:03 AM
BigBrown
They did it!

We all know that prospects are better than established NHL players. Just as O'Sullivan made Cammalleri expendable and Möller in turn made O'Sullivan expendable...

BigBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:29 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
We all know that prospects are better than established NHL players. Just as O'Sullivan made Cammalleri expendable and Möller in turn made O'Sullivan expendable...
Those two were moved for reasons that had nothing to do with prospects.

Old
10-06-2011, 10:44 AM
onlyalad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrown View Post
O'Sullivan made O'Sullivan expendable.

onlyalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Hatter
All about the Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyalad View Post
O'Sullivan made O'Sullivan expendable.
You want to buy a jersey?

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:07 PM
BringTheReign

I hope either Parse is gone when Penner is healthy again or that Drewiske is moved soon. Voynov has potential that is just towering compared to Drewiske's and at some point management needs to give him a chance in the bigs.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:18 PM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheReign View Post
I hope either Parse is gone when Penner is healthy again or that Drewiske is moved soon. Voynov has potential that is just towering compared to Drewiske's and at some point management needs to give him a chance in the bigs.
Kings management agrees with you, that's why Drewiske is on the team simply to be a healthy scratch while Voynov is being developed in the minors logging a lot of important minutes.

Tikkanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Loffen
Legend

Any word on your D-pairs for tomorrow's game?

Thanks.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loffen View Post
Any word on your D-pairs for tomorrow's game?

Thanks.
Mitchell-Doughty
Johnson-Scuderi
Martinez-Greene

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:21 PM
Loffen
Legend

That was quick. Thanks again.

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote