HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Blair Betts, Oskars Bartulis and Matt Walker

Old
10-05-2011, 09:13 PM
lancer247

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
He's had a few shoulder surgeries but last year he was affected by a broken finger, I believe. He had it operated on in the off season. Hopefully that will help him get back to where he was.
I think he had a bad knee also.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:24 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
he doesn't have to win the lady byng he just has to not be a thorn in his own team's side by limiting his stupid penalties and suspensions.

look at Downie...he has made him self a produtive player but still is just dangerous enough to keep opposing players head on a swivel.

i didn't see Rinaldo play in the minors/juniors but i trust Lavi's ability as a coach. Lavy did a good job of reigning in Boulerice in CAR and he coach head cases like Simon and Cairns in NYI, IIRC.
Downie and Rinaldo are completely different players. Downie actually has offensive talent.

That being said, I base my views of Rinaldo off of watching him (AHL and some junior), and until I see a change, Im not gonna blindly follow what a head coach does. I like Lavy but he isnt error free. He thought Carcillo could play in the top 9. We saw how that worked out. Just because he reigned in Boulerice (it didnt do well when Boulerice left Canes though) doesnt mean he can do it to other players.

Im a fan of players who can do more than one thing. Playing 6 minutes a night just to annoy people, and has a habit of taking bad penalties cause of his bad attitude, I dont see as being productive. If he could maybe put in goals, or play the pk, I would be fine. But hitting someone and agitating doesnt just cut it in today's NHL.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:00 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Downie and Rinaldo are completely different players. Downie actually has offensive talent.

That being said, I base my views of Rinaldo off of watching him (AHL and some junior), and until I see a change, Im not gonna blindly follow what a head coach does. I like Lavy but he isnt error free. He thought Carcillo could play in the top 9. We saw how that worked out. Just because he reigned in Boulerice (it didnt do well when Boulerice left Canes though) doesnt mean he can do it to other players.

Im a fan of players who can do more than one thing. Playing 6 minutes a night just to annoy people, and has a habit of taking bad penalties cause of his bad attitude, I dont see as being productive. If he could maybe put in goals, or play the pk, I would be fine. But hitting someone and agitating doesnt just cut it in today's NHL.
i agree with you for the most part.

Downie is much better. No doubt. I was talkig more from the stadpoit that they both had sketchy at best reputations coming into the NHL.

Carcillo isn't a REGULAR top 9 player but I think guys like him, Asham, Eager can be spotted in the top 9 depending on the opponent and/or injuries.

He definitely needs to do more then run around for 6 mins a night. I would be surprised if he can ever PK. As someone that has seen him play do you think he can develop into a 12 min/night, forechecking agitator that scores 10 goals a season without hurting the team type player?

Last edited by lancer247: 10-05-2011 at 10:21 PM.
lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:27 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
Can you waive a player that has been suspended? No idea. But I liked Bartulis I hope he makes it to the AHL, although I doubt he will.
The Flyers waived Jesse Boulerice early during his suspension. I checked parts of the CBA to see if veterans or players with a minimum games played history had any exemptions and couldn't locate any wording to that manner. My guess is any player can be waived while suspended.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:37 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
i agree with you for the most part.

Downie is much better. No doubt. I was talkig more from the stadpoit that they both had sketchy at best reputations coming into the NHL.

Carcillo isn't a REGULAR top 9 player but I think guys like him, Asham, Eager can be spotted in the top 9 depending on the opponent and/or injuries.

He definitely needs to do more then run around for 6 mins a night. I would be surprised if he can ever PK. As someone that has seen him play do you think he can develop into a 12 min/night, forechecking agitator that scores 10 goals a season without hurting the team type player?
Here is how I see it. I think the % chance is more on the side of him being more of a player who springs from NHL to AHL from team to team. History shows that players who cant really score in the juniors and AHL wont be able to score in the NHL.

Now see, the one thing that annoys me the most about Rinaldo is his temper. It gets him into ALOT of trouble. He had 4 suspensions as a 20 yr old rookie in the AHL. That is 1 more than the amount of goals he scored in the AHL. His temper also makes him commit a ton of mad penalties, whether its boarding, slashing, or a plain old dirty hit (His constant one is the jump elbow to the head. Youtube Zac Rinaldo. You will see ALOT of jumping elbows to the head). Now, he has done this almost his whole career. It is really hard to ask a player to totally change his style of play, the way he has always played, within a few years. If anything, it will take him a few years, but can the team put up with this type of play he currently plays?

If he can work on it, calm down (you can be calm and still agitate), and play on the pk, he would be a perfect for our 4th line. Other than that.. I am not to happy with having him on the 4th line.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:10 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
The Flyers waived Jesse Boulerice early during his suspension. I checked parts of the CBA to see if veterans or players with a minimum games played history had any exemptions and couldn't locate any wording to that manner. My guess is any player can be waived while suspended.
Sestito as well, he was waived and sent down shortly after being suspended. The AHL honored it and suspended him for one game.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 11:22 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1064
^ I'd have to check, but I think Steve Downie was demoted during his suspension, too. Different than being waived but still a roster move.

Per Bill Meltzer:
Quote:
Blair Betts out of Habs lineup tonight with injury. Andreas Engqvist called up.

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 11:42 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
^ I'd have to check, but I think Steve Downie was demoted during his suspension, too. Different than being waived but still a roster move.
True, the AHL honored that suspension too, he wasn't allowed to play all of October.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
It seems that Betts might be done, then. Injured before the season starts is bad news at his age and with his history.

10-06-2011, 02:46 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
It seems that Betts might be done, then. Injured before the season starts is bad news at his age and with his history.
maybe this will make more sense now to all the people that were saying it was crazy to waive him.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
maybe this will make more sense now to all the people that were saying it was crazy to waive him.
If he's healthy, waiving him is crazy. If he's not and there's little hope that he will heal adequately then it isn't so bad.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:24 PM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
If he's healthy, waiving him is crazy. If he's not and there's little hope that he will heal adequately then it isn't so bad.
I dont think he has been "healthy" for quite some time now.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote