HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Bryzgalov's interview to "Sovetskiy Sport" Part II (10/6/2011)

Old
10-05-2011, 09:51 PM
CSKA1974

vCash: 500
Bryzgalov's interview to "Sovetskiy Sport" Part II (10/6/2011)

I would like to offer you the final installment of the Bryz's interview to "Sovetskiy Sport". As usual, I will keep translation as close to the original style as possible. However, I need to say Bryzgalov’s choice of words is as vibrant as he is, so some of the flavor will be lost in translation. Also, the reporter's language was tough to follow some times...

Iliya Bryzgalov: “Like wine, I am getting better with age…”

“Sovetskiy Sport” is publishing the second part the Iliya Bryzgalov interview.

“We have to be people, not piglets”

Q: Iliya, you said that goalies live in the dog eats dog world. We are afraid for Sergey Bobrovsky.

A: I have never had a problem with communications with my partners. Only warm and best relationships. He is my partner, a helper. We must help each other. Yes, there is a healthy competition, but we have to be people, not piglets.

Q: Are you ready to help him with advice?

A: If he finds it necessary to ask. However, it seems that Sergey is very self reliant with his skills.

Q: Is it good to have other Russians on the team?

A: Of course! There is someone to joke with, to talk about fishing, to discuss what perfect bait is.

Q: I saw a huge lobster for dinner on your twitter. Did you catch it?

A: I have quit twitter, by the way.

Q: Why?

A: The season has started, there is no time. And it became very boring, so I lost interest for now.

Q: How will you communicate with fans then?

A: Via press.

“I would've fought Avery"

Q: Do you follow the news? Have you heard that “Vityaz” tough guy Yablonskiy beat up goalkeeper Gelashvili?

A: Yes, I’ve heard, but did not see.

Q: Is it possible in the NHL. What if Avery had started fighting you(the interview was taken before Avery’s demotion. CSKA)

A: I would have fought him. There are plenty of idiots everywhere. However, the team mates would not let something like that happen in the NHL.

Q: Have you ever had a fight?

A: Yeah. When I played in “Lada-2” entire teams fought. I also fought in AHL. With Avery, by the way.

Q: Philadelphia’s Ron Hextall was famous for fighting and also scoring.

A: I can only score on myself.

Q: Have you tried to score in an opposite goal?

A: My puck would have gone to a blue line only. Like a T-Rex, I have weak arms.

Q: Did the team discuss “banana incident”?

A: Like I said, there are plenty of idiot everywhere. Of course, the fan should not have done it, but who knows what was inside his head.

Q: Have you seen something like that before?

A: Well, there are plenty of bananas thrown to black cocker players in Russia. I have not seen in it in North America. Also, we did not discuss this topic in the locker room. Wayne is very good and smart fellow. He reacts adequately to the things like that.

“I tremble like a hare”(Russian idiom for being very scared. CSKA)

Q: Do you like to watch “Formula- 1”?

A: Yes. Pre- season is like that- warm-up laps.

Q: The “Flyers” are like Ferrari then, aren’t they?

A: Yes, we have a good car and many drivers.

Q: Can a goalie drive?

A: I don’t know.

Q: What’s your trump card?

A: Ace of diamonds.

Q: But, seriously.

A: I can’t judge myself. People have better view of me. What am I confident in entering the ice? Nothing. I tremble like a hare in front of a wolf.

Q: I understand that you will keep your secret. That’s correct. If your opponents read that, they will start scoring into your weakness.

A: Do you really think they do not know? They all professionals here, they have studied everyone.

Q: You are a veteran. You turned 31. Is it possible to change your style at that age?

A: We are working on the technical aspects with the goalie coach. But no one will change my manner- too late. But I try to keep up with the progress, because it does not stand still.

Q: You are not getting any younger…

A: I am getting better with age, like wine. However, I have not had a drink in 14 years.

Q: Well, will compare you to food then.

A: Just imagine that you are getting a 14 year old chicken for dinner. Not something you would want, don’t you agree?

“I like bright colors”

Q: Does your family miss you when you are away?

A: Of course! We talk over the phone and Skype each other all the time.

Q: How did your children take relocation here?

A: No problem. They are very outgoing children.

Q: Do they like hockey?

A: Very much. They come to the games on weekends, not on a school days, though.

Q: What do they say after the games?

A: They always support my team. They have switched to the “Flyers” already.

Q: Do you like orange color?

A: I like bright colors.

Q: You will be impressed in play offs when all the fans will wear orange shirts.

A: Really? The whole arena is like a big orange fruit?

Q: More like a pumpkin.

“They have to replace a system not the planes”

Q: Did you feel like the end of the world after the “Lokomotiv’s” tragedy?

A: I could not believe for a few days. Then the reality settled in that all of the players, coaches and support staff have died. It’s very sore.

Q: Did you have friends there?

A: I knew quite a few. For example, I played with Saley in Anaheim, was in the junior team with Balandin.

Q: There will be a moment of silence before the first game in Philadelphia. Also, they will sell wrist bracelets to fundraise for the families.

A: It’s a big tragedy. Some of the guys played in the NHL, but it really does not matter where are we from. We are all made from the same dough. And when something like that happens to the human beings it is very sad. In my opinion, there are more plane crashes than automobile accidents.

Q: Are you afraid of flying now?

A: I have not flown yet. What can you do? Everything is in God’s hands.

Q: It is promised that they will switch to better planes in Russia.

A: Do you really believe in that?

Q: Do you?

A: They may buy newer planes, better models. But there is no accountability in the whole process. The problem is not the age of the plane, but it’s maintanence- how they take care of it, how they fix it. Is it inspected, are the pilots qualified? Are pilots sober? They have to fix the whole system. The plane that “Coyotes” are flying is 27 years old, but it has always had good maintenance. All the old parts are replaced on time.

It appears that Yak- 42 has not been in production for 8 years and there is no technical support for this model. A mechanic somehow fixes, and everyone hopes that a plane will somehow land.

Q: Have you had scary flying moments?

A: Too many.

“Escape to Sochi? How?”

Q: Let’s get back to hockey. Will you obey if the NHL will decide to ban players participation in the Olympic Games? Or will you run away, like Kovalchuk and Ovechkin had promised?

A: Run away were?

Q: To Sochi. To play for your country.

A: We will see.

Q: OK, let me change the question. Should the NHL let players play for their countries in the Olympic games?

A: I think so. But I do not know what I will do. I will decide then. On the other hand, how will I escape? I have the obligation here, I have a contract. I studied the document and signed it. I can’t say later: “You know what folks, I have Olympics to play.” It’s not professional, not business like. I have accepted a contract, I receive monies on time and without problems. And then I behave like a pig? The business is not run like that.

Q: You have an opportunity to address all Russian fans right now. What would you like to say?

A: Please do not be angry at me!. I might have been wrong sometimes, but we all make mistakes.

Last edited by CSKA1974: 10-05-2011 at 09:57 PM.
CSKA1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:02 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Fantastic! The guy seems brilliant, and funny (obviously). Disappointed he's bailing on twitter though

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:03 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
Haha the arena is a big orange fruit? Thanks CSKA

King Forsberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:08 PM
RevUpThoseGolfCarts
Experts at losing

Quote:
Well, there are plenty of bananas thrown to black cocker
oh jesus I laughed

RevUpThoseGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:11 PM
RIPRichardsCarter

I need to see a video of this fight with Avery.

RIPRichardsCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:13 PM
3Fs

Great read, thx again =)

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:21 PM
MsWoof

I'd like some of whatever it is he's smoking! He's a riot!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:58 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Thanks CSKA! I have one question, why would Russian fans be angry with Bryz, because of the Olympics?

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:37 AM
Snipsnap12

can you imagine how hilarious it would be if he gave this interview in english and we could listen to him.

"Like a T-rex, I have weak arms"

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:54 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevUpThoseFlyers View Post
oh jesus I laughed
Yeah, a freudian slip if ever I saw one.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:32 AM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
My puck would have gone to a blue line only. Like a T-Rex, I have weak arms.

HAHAHAHHA!

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:33 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Bryz is really growing on me. I especially like what he has to say about going to Sochi to play in the Olympics.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:21 AM
Krishna

Ahahaha @ "I would've fought avery"

Krishna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 06:42 AM
MsWoof

I'll be getting the popcorn out if NHL players aren't allowed to go to the Olympics and Ovi and Malkin leave their teams.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:26 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Yeah, a freudian slip if ever I saw one.
Close, but no cigar

In Cyrillic "S" looks like "C" and my aging brain had trouble switching between 2 languages; but I am truly glad to draw a couple of laughs (can't compete with Bryz, though)

Old
10-06-2011, 09:30 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Thanks CSKA! I have one question, why would Russian fans be angry with Bryz, because of the Olympics?
I do not know the answer to this question, but the comments section to his interviews on Russian web sites are usually filled with anger.

If I had to guess, it appears to be a perception that he "threw the coaches under the bus" after the world cup. But it's only a guess.

I would love the members of this community, who actually live in Russia, to comment on that.

If I find out anything definitive, I will post it.

Old
10-06-2011, 09:31 AM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSKA1974 View Post
Close, but no cigar

In Cyrillic "S" looks like "C" and my aging brain had trouble switching between 2 languages; but I am truly glad to draw a couple of laughs (can't compete with Bryz, though)
Yeah, I guessed it was something along those lines. My dad knows some Russian, and he tried to teach me a little bit when I was a kid but it wasn't much that stuck. That the CCCP on the jerseys translated to SSSR did though.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:35 AM
jagrgodr

Quote:
Close, but no cigar

your the man now dawg!!!!!!!

jagrgodr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:46 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
I do not know the answer to this question, but the comments section to his interviews on Russian web sites are usually filled with anger.

If I had to guess, it appears to be a perception that he "threw the coaches under the bus" after the world cup. But it's only a guess.

I would love the members of this community, who actually live in Russia, to comment on that.

Just came back from one of the Russian sites- it appears that Bryz have utilized his aquired in the USA "freedom of speech" to criticize Russian hockey, Russian system/ government. Not too many "patriots" appreciate him making these kind of comments and consider him as a traitor.

Even though, the guy is 09 World Champ and works with Russian kids every Summer.

Typical USSR era types of attitude. Nothing changes, Russia is back to 1970

Old
10-06-2011, 09:52 AM
CSKA1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChumpyG View Post
Bryz is really growing on me. I especially like what he has to say about going to Sochi to play in the Olympics.
That ststement has gotten him into trouble with Russian fans as well

Old
10-06-2011, 10:01 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Can't wait for tonight!

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:38 PM
param

Quote:
Q: You are not getting any younger…

A: I am getting better with age, like wine. However, I have not had a drink in 14 years.

Q: Well, will compare you to food then.

A: Just imagine that you are getting a 14 year old chicken for dinner. Not something you would want, don’t you agree?
Not a Flyers fan, but holy hell that is gold!

param is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 04:11 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
"Q: Do you like orange color?

A: I like bright colors."

Really? I never would have guessed.

10-06-2011, 08:05 PM
TedenbysFrontTeeth
INFP

Wow. I love what I hear from this Bryzgalov fellow. Seems like a good, fun guy. You guys got yourself a goaltender.

TedenbysFrontTeeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 08:30 AM
Atas2000

Quote:

Well, Ilya is known for his ways with the media. I like his straight approach, but only if he talks hockey. It's obvious that every body has an opinion on any given issue, but I wouldn't consider myself an expert for russian aviation for example. Well right in this interview Ilya said things he shouldn't on russian aviation security which has earned him a high eyebrow from me. I mean we do like to joke about about drinking habits in Russia ourselves. But that doesn't mean we like being regarded notorious alcoholics. Ilya should stick to things he's an expert in. And there are plenty. But he should not forget he's a celebrity, especially in Russia and he's not talking to a couple of friends in his living room but to the media which would even sometimes twist his words to make a bigger splash. That's how he earns the "anger" in Russia sometimes.
I appreciate very much his open mindedness when he says things about hockey in general or the national team other people probably wouldn't. He schouldn't forget his roots either and try not to hurt the feelings of russian fans who would gladly see him play in Russia rather than the NHL. Well, not everybody understands the simple fact that a pro athlete just plays where he thinks it's best for him. And I don't understand people in Russia who are close to shouting "traitor" every time a russian athlete says something positive about the NHL or something negative about the KHL but sometimes Ilya should really watch his mouth. It's pretty lose at times and creates a ton of fun quotes. He just should know where the line is.

Regarding the Olympics there were basically no issues the fans should be angry with Ilya. It's more like the other way round. The coaches really were making bad and at times strange decisions. Ilya was the only one who discussed it openly. And it wasn't right after the Olympics. It was like a month ago. Which is the right time to do some aftermath when the emotions have really settled a bit.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote