HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Islanders opening day roster

Old
10-05-2011, 09:07 PM
islandermaniac

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedemon View Post
Nino has done everything in juniors. Guy scored 11 more goals and 10 more points in 10 or 12 less games last year. He was also among the top 5 in playoffs scoring in the WHL as well. Another year in juniors would be a waste for nin. I mean look at tampa, they got Connolly on the team this year which was expected with Gagne's departure. Defensemen more times then none take longer to develop then forwards do. As for Strome, I expected him to get a 9 game look if they signed him to an ELC which they did. It's mainly in part to injuries, so I don't expect Strome to stay long. As soon as Niederreiter is healthy, Strome will be sent back to juniors. Strome is not physically ready for the NHL, and needs to work on his acceleration a bit. Strome's confidence will be sky high since he will more then likely dominate the OHL this year along with possible 2012 #1 pick Nail Yakupov.
nino has done everthing in junior hockey? i believe that to be incorrect. he showed only modest improvement in his offensive production, and while he finished high in playoff scoring, let's not forget how he did virtually nothing LATER in the playoffs which led to portland getting bounced. add to that a below average performance at the world junior championships in buffalo and i'll say the kid has plenty to prove at the junior level.

islandermaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:30 PM
JKP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Of Rick View Post
Haha ya I noticed I am. I am waiting for someone to give a reason other than well "it can't hurt" or "its just a taste". Those are not reasons, that is rationalizing a bad move.
Here's your reason from JC's mouth (that's Jack Capuano, not the other JC):

"He's learned a lot so far, from the rookie camp to the rookie games to playing games against NHL players in the preseason, and we want him to keep on learning, being around all our guys," coach Jack Capuano said. "He's one of those kids who gets it. He understands, he evaluates himself and he knows he's here to soak it all up."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...earn-1.3225495

JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:53 PM
SpeedDemon

vCash: 491
This is ridiculous.

IMO some guys who should not be here
Staois
Pandolfo
Mottau
Eaton
Gillies
Strome

we still have have a gap in our third line. Unless you think Strome can fill in those shoes or KO drops down to play with Bailey and Comeau (once Nino returns) we could put Bailey on the wing and have Rolston fill in as a third line center. Doesn't really scream production
Where do we play Pandolfo?
Is Reasoner really an improvement over Knopka?
Why do we keep Gillies? (other than to send a beacon for opposing teams not to target our players -- which they will disregard)

Our defense is even less mobile than last season. Guys like Gervais and Wishart could at least carry the puck. Staios is slower than molasses (when was the last time this guy played an NHL game??)
Our offense has not improved (might be in jeopardy if Grabner slips up and/or the injuries pile up)
Our Net is always a question (DP is unreliable, Nabby is past his prime, Montoya's no miracle worker)

I was heavily surprised we did nothing to address our skating issue on the defensive side

another dismal season looming

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:01 PM
desmond

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1PredsFan View Post
Pandolfo will play on 4th line with Reasoner and Martin. Also, pk. Hard worker and very responsible defensevely.

Reasoner is MUCH better than Konopka. Above average 4th line center vs. below average. See their respective salaries.

desmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:09 PM
BeMoney

Quote:
This is ridiculous.

we still have have a gap in our third line. Unless you think Strome can fill in those shoes or KO drops down to play with Bailey and Comeau (once Nino returns) we could put Bailey on the wing and have Rolston fill in as a third line center. Doesn't really scream production
I'm assuming that Rolston is going to play on the wing and have Bailey at center. This is the year that Bailey and Comeau have to break out. Give them a chance playing with Rolston and see how it goes. They have both show glimpses in the past that they can produce, lets at least give them a shot this year to prove what they can do before writing the season off.

BeMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:30 PM
ledzep1212
COYB

Quote:
This is ridiculous.

Staois
Pandolfo
Mottau
Eaton
Gillies
Strome

Why do we keep Gillies? (other than to send a beacon for opposing teams not to target our players -- which they will disregard)

Our defense is even less mobile than last season. Guys like Gervais and Wishart could at least carry the puck. Staios is slower than molasses (when was the last time this guy played an NHL game??)
Our offense has not improved (might be in jeopardy if Grabner slips up and/or the injuries pile up)
Our Net is always a question (DP is unreliable, Nabby is past his prime, Montoya's no miracle worker)

I was heavily surprised we did nothing to address our skating issue on the defensive side

lol? Also March 21st 2011 was the last game Staios played before this season.

ledzep1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:43 PM
kpap57

Quote:
This is ridiculous.

Staois
Pandolfo
Mottau
Eaton
Gillies
Strome

is this post serious? Eaton in the right role is a very serviceable defensman. Mottau is fine in a # 7 role which he is. Staios is a fine 5-6 guy with his O abilities. Pandolpho will be on our 4th line and is a great defensive responsible player and will be more than welcome on the isles PK. I agree with you about Strome i think they should just send him back down (Nino as well for that matter.) Gillies is a waste of a roster spot with his average of 4 min a game.
Reasoner is light years better all round player than konopka. Dont get me wrong i never disliked Konopka, and his time here was appreciated on my side of things. Gervais and Wishart at least carry the puck? Right to the other teams sticks i assume you mean. ( i know unfair to Wishart, he had flashes of looking good and I hope he can extend those flashes in the future)

kpap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:22 PM
bleuetbio

arrrrghh! Screwed again by the fans in my fantaisy pool I took Moulson (8th rd) and Parenteau (10th rd). I never think for a minute that Strome could be on the top 3. Im surprised of what I've read here

(22 participants, 14 picks: 12 players,team, goalie) and I pick the last place again. Toews, Giroux, Vanek, Heatley, Doan, Ladd,Morrow, Moulson, Wolski, Parenteau, Butler, Landeskog, Hiller (G), Carolina were mi picks. Dont let me down. I bought tickets for the games of JT vs Montreal. He could reach 35 goals, 75 pts easily this year with his excellent second half of season last year.

bleuetbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:38 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riders on the Strome View Post
If Strome is ever in the lineup, which I'm assuming he will be otherwise he would not be on this roster, then he should be playing on Tavares' wing. Playing him anywhere else is almost as pointless as playing him in the first place.
I think that is exactyl where he plays, on opening night. They were grooming Nino for that slot, he's hurt. Pap practiced with bailes & comeau all of camp. MM-JT & Strome train together is Mississauga(sp?).
But, just my (somewhat) educated guess

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:17 AM
Stercrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKP View Post
I really don't see the problem with giving Strome a taste of the NHL, especially with a few guys on the shelf to start the year.

If he can succeed, great. If not, he'll go back in a few games with a terrific idea of what he needs to work on and some extra cash in his pockets. What's the big deal?
I agree. Before claiming him as the "next rushed product" let's just see what he does. And as far as him getting hurt I think last year proved anything can happen at any time. I don't believe in handeling him with kid gloves...he's a hockey player not a piece of crystal. If he gets pushed around he'll learn from it. Also, I don't think they would be giving him this shot if GMG thought it to useless. All I'm saying is let's see what happens. He will probably go back once Nino is ready and he'll have an idea of the NHL to work towards.

Stercrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:23 AM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

Quote:
And my grandmother owned two rabbits. This is all nonsense. Anybody can achieve and this example goes for all positions. Get used to giving DP chances, it would be dumb not to. If he gets injured, so what! Everyone was fine with bringing up Poulin last year if there was no Nabakov it wouldn't kill us. Relax a little and thank GOD you aren't a GM.

What a msg to send the league--- let's give a guy a long term contract and then kick him to the curb for something BEYOND his control. I'm sure he went out there to get injured on purpose.. Jesus Christ. Let's go blame Berard for being a waste of a draft pick back in the day because he intentionally slit open his eye. WTH!
While you bring up a good point, keep in mind that DP doesn't get injured immediately; more often it happens after taking a few starts to get into a rhythm.

This isn't to point fingers or be a jerk or anything, but there hasn't been one poster here all summer that's given an iron-clad reason for keeping DP up with the NYI, rather than letting him spend at least a portion of the year being one of the main men in Bridgeport where whatever parts of Murphy's Law don't cost the Isles points. All people reference is his contract and his snippet of All-Star-level play....which we haven't seen in years.

DP's contract belongs on the roster; his flawed decision making and injuries totally don't. We saw the team lose flow and continuity when Poulin or Montoya were benched in favor of him.

I hate to keep reiterating the same argument, but if someone can give me a better reason for keeping DP on the top club this year based not on speculation, not on Wang, not on cap hit - but recent play, I'm all ears. I'll save you time......you can't, because all Montoya's done, warts and all, is leave management with no other reason to keep DP as the #1, other than cap hit, Wang, and speculation. Nabokov isn't the long-term option that Nilsson & Poulin are and Koskinen could come along alright if he learns how to use his size better.

It remains to be seen whether or not DP relapses or not, but at the risk of sounding like a jerk (again,) the difference between a realistic Islander fan and a scientifically/biologically-overly-hopeful DP fan is who one would pick to start the season. (News flash: MONTOYA WAS THE BEST GOALIE IN CAMP.) If he goes to Bridgeport, he has a better chance of figuring out how to play at a high level without snapping his legs off at the hip.....thus affording the ISLANDERS, the team we all love, to use the goalies with the MOST RELIABLE BODIES and BETTER STATS to take starts where it counts.

Just so it's out there a 3rd time - this isn't to challenge anyone in particular.....but I swear, everyone so ready to give DP chances needs to look at those stats long and hard and realize that far more stable options are available, under contract, and ready.

So to kick sand on the line of offense I've no doubt already crosse, I ask each of you this:

Are you a fan of the team, wishing to see the Isles succeed and grow having been given the best chance possible, or are you a DiPietro fan waiting for Godot? If you're the latter, keep this in mind - DP betters his chances of a successful comeback if he takes his time. The Isles aren't hindered with 3 goalies on the roster if DP were willing to take his time.

I'm not against DP as a person, and I'd like for him to have a successful career, but not at the expense of the team I love, not during a season this pivotal, and not when Montoya's looking like a better 1B goalie than Leighton, who may not be Tretiak, but helped get the Flyers within 70 minutes of the Stanley Cup, and not when a playoff primadonna veteran like Nabokov can pump his value right up until the trade deadline.

Hi folks, my name is logic. Play the most reliable goaltenders and throw all allegiances from the Milbury regime in the incincerator until they prove strong enough not to burn to ashes. That hasn't been DP for years, and if someone did pick him up on waivers, as much as I'd hate to see him out of the organization entirely, it would also be the removal of the biggest roadblock in the organization - even more than the legendary top-4 defenseman.

A quiz for DP supporters
: Explain to me why it's fair to the Islanders who CAN sustain their health at a competitive NHL-level to shackle their fate to a currently unknown quality like the health of Rick DiPietro before testing him where it can't derail the season. Why is it such a bad idea to assign him to the AHL and separate the much more likely outcome of a surging Islanders team from the much less likely outcome of DP returning to All-Star form without a few totally natural stumbles that could deprive the team of points?

I do NOT hate DP. Repeat.....I do NOT hate DP.....but if this team winds up missing the playoffs by 13 points and DP lost 7 or 8 games in starts taken away from Montoya or Nabby, get ready - the pitchforks and torches will be out all next Spring & Summer. If he proves me wrong, he'll still make me nervous, but at least he'll be putting up quality numbers doing it, and it's easier to eat your words when you still have a good outcome.

Long story short, the hockey gods are most likely on our side more and more with each game he spends in the press box, if they indeed insist on the no-conditioning-stint option. It's not written in stone, but recent history backs that opinion.

Last edited by 88th Precinct: 10-06-2011 at 12:29 AM.
88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:38 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaponover View Post
And my grandmother owned two rabbits. This is all nonsense. Anybody can achieve and this example goes for all positions. Get used to giving DP chances, it would be dumb not to. If he gets injured, so what! Everyone was fine with bringing up Poulin last year if there was no Nabakov it wouldn't kill us. Relax a little and thank GOD you aren't a GM.

What a msg to send the league--- let's give a guy a long term contract and then kick him to the curb for something BEYOND his control. I'm sure he went out there to get injured on purpose.. Jesus Christ. Let's go blame Berard for being a waste of a draft pick back in the day because he intentionally slit open his eye. WTH!
The reckless manner in which Rick plays isn't exactly helping his chances of remaining injury free. It would be one thing if he changed his play style, but he hasn't. The next time he makes it a full year without a serious injury, well it just might be the first time he's done that in his NHL career.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:57 AM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caustic Acrostic View Post

I'm not against DP as a person, and I'd like for him to have a successful career, but not at the expense of the team I love, not during a season this pivotal, and not when Montoya's looking like a better 1B goalie than Leighton, who may not be Tretiak, but helped get the Flyers within 70 minutes of the Stanley Cup, and not when a playoff primadonna veteran like Nabokov can pump his value right up until the trade deadline.

Hi folks, my name is logic. Play the most reliable goaltenders and throw all allegiances from the Milbury regime in the incincerator until they prove strong enough not to burn to ashes. That hasn't been DP for years, and if someone did pick him up on waivers, as much as I'd hate to see him out of the organization entirely, it would also be the removal of the biggest roadblock in the organization - even more than the legendary top-4 defenseman.
DP is a lightning rod for criticism from a beaten-down fan base, obviously, but I'd like to make a couple of points. For the record, I think DiPietro WAS a fantastic goalie (with a few faults) and was on his way to something special until he got hurt....but fast forward to today and guess what, I think he MAY BE the best goalie at camp.

I haven't heard anyone say that Montoya was the best goalie in camp. Based on what I saw in the pre-season (yes, small sample) DiPietro played like a #1 goalie.

I think playing the most RELIABLE goalie isn't necessarily the way to go. What do you mean by reliable anyway? Are you talking about consistent output? or reliability to stay healthy? My point is that DiPietro MAY BE the NYI best option to win games as of today. He might be the best goalie. He probably won't stay healthy, but when he's NOT healthy, the coach scratches him and goes with the next best (not the next healthiest).

I believe you're doubting DiPietro's ability as a goalie, based on recent history. Completely fair. But what if he's finally healthy ENOUGH to play CLOSE to what he used to play like? And what if THAT LEVEL is better than Montoya or Nabokov? Some fans are so blinded by the DP saga that they are unable to see what's right in front of them.

If he's NOT the best goalie, then he should sit or be sent down, no problem there. Last year, he wasn't the best goalie, that was obvious. He was also injured a lot. This year, he's been great, not a distraction, just played well. Why can't that be a good news story? How can there be so much allegiance to Montoya after a half-season? or Nabokov who's treated this organization like a plague until he was re-born over the summer? I don't get it.

And let's be perfectly frank, the "team we love" isn't exactly doing fans any favours and it doesn't start or end with DiPietro.

The cap hit is needed for the cap floor - shameful
The performance bonuses to fringe players is embarrassing - used only to reach the cap floor.

Rolston was traded for NOT for leadership or to help the PP. He was on waivers TWICE last year, even at re-entry price-tag Snow didn't feel he could have helped the team. The only reason he was added was to reach the cap floor THIS YEAR, shedding some money owed to Hunter next season.

The organization has done NOTHING to show any commitment to the fans or to winning anything. Building through the draft, well that's been sold through to a desperate fan base that was depleted of all talent, all pride, all prior glory - not surrounding young players with proper support, setting them up for failure. Yet many fans turn a blind eye to what's so obvious a slap in the face.

So it's getting close to game 1. I'm excited about the season. I love the young players on this team, I like all the players on the roster right now. This is the best team I've seen since Yashin played on the team (and I don't mean his cap hit). I don't think it's a playoff team. There are huge holes on the roster, completely unaddressed, like the past three summers - but I'll remain a loyal fan, cautiously optimistic about this year and next.

DiPietro is a red herring. The problems with this team are with the ownership and the lack of desire or commitment to build a winner.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:59 AM
Dylonus

What happened to Nino Niederreiter? How long is he out for?

Will he stay with the team after injury or head back to Portland?

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:08 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
DP is a lightning rod for criticism from a beaten-down fan base, obviously, but I'd like to make a couple of points. For the record, I think DiPietro WAS a fantastic goalie (with a few faults) and was on his way to something special until he got hurt....but fast forward to today and guess what, I think he MAY BE the best goalie at camp.

I haven't heard anyone say that Montoya was the best goalie in camp. Based on what I saw in the pre-season (yes, small sample) DiPietro played like a #1 goalie.

I think playing the most RELIABLE goalie isn't necessarily the way to go. What do you mean by reliable anyway? Are you talking about consistent output? or reliability to stay healthy? My point is that DiPietro MAY BE the NYI best option to win games as of today. He might be the best goalie. He probably won't stay healthy, but when he's NOT healthy, the coach scratches him and goes with the next best (not the next healthiest).

I believe you're doubting DiPietro's ability as a goalie, based on recent history. Completely fair. But what if he's finally healthy ENOUGH to play CLOSE to what he used to play like? And what if THAT LEVEL is better than Montoya or Nabokov? Some fans are so blinded by the DP saga that they are unable to see what's right in front of them.

If he's NOT the best goalie, then he should sit or be sent down, no problem there. Last year, he wasn't the best goalie, that was obvious. He was also injured a lot. This year, he's been great, not a distraction, just played well. Why can't that be a good news story? How can there be so much allegiance to Montoya after a half-season? or Nabokov who's treated this organization like a plague until he was re-born over the summer? I don't get it.

And let's be perfectly frank, the "team we love" isn't exactly doing fans any favours and it doesn't start or end with DiPietro.

The performance bonuses to fringe players is embarrassing - used only to reach the cap floor.

Rolston was traded for NOT for leadership or to help the PP. He was on waivers TWICE last year, even at re-entry price-tag Snow didn't feel he could have helped the team. The only reason he was added was to reach the cap floor THIS YEAR, shedding some money owed to Hunter next season.

The organization has done NOTHING to show any commitment to the fans or to winning anything. Building through the draft, well that's been sold through to a desperate fan base that was depleted of all talent, all pride, all prior glory - not surrounding young players with proper support, setting them up for failure. Yet many fans turn a blind eye to what's so obvious a slap in the face.

So it's getting close to game 1. I'm excited about the season. I love the young players on this team, I like all the players on the roster right now. This is the best team I've seen since Yashin played on the team (and I don't mean his cap hit). I don't think it's a playoff team. There are huge holes on the roster, completely unaddressed, like the past three summers - but I'll remain a loyal fan, cautiously optimistic about this year and next.

DiPietro is a red herring. The problems with this team are with the ownership and the lack of desire or commitment to build a winner.
Montoya was the best goalie in camp.

Anyone else care to join in?

And I think Wang has, by his inaction, committed to Snow's plan. As much as I despise him, he allowed the Erhoff trade. He may say go cheap, but I honestly think by now it's not so much about the money as his level of being able to meddle. He reduced his meddling but still wants his American Idol bud to be able to play again.......but I doubt he'll force Montoya out. If Rick stinks but doesn't get hurt, Nabokov will be traded the first "tepid" streak Rick gets in maybe November or September if he thinks Rick won't get hurt. Rick has a permanent disadvantage, a twice operated on/scoped knee. He's an injury waiting to happen if he plays the same way he has.

And he won't change, so......the posters "bashing" the idea are in the right. He's gonna have great games but mostly good to decent games and a lot of bad games. All we can hope for is that when he's hurt this go'round, he says so and sits.

I want him to have a good year because he's gone as soon as Poulin is ready.

Last edited by OlTimeHockey: 10-06-2011 at 01:16 AM.
OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:27 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:

Even if by some miracle he does regain the form that got him to 1 all star game, I don't want him on the team. He is and will forever be a major injury risk. It's like having a bully in school who says he's gonna get you when you least expect it. You're always looking behind you when you walk. The injury is the big Bully who will definitely get him & Rick and the Isles are the scared kids always looking behind them. That's why they don't take out the goalie on Ricks designated day off eventhough he just gave up 3 goals in the first 10 minutes of the game.

It isn't a question of if he'll get hurt, it's when he'll get hurt & how serious is it.

Fans here aren't coming out & saying it, but I think most of us accept the fact that he will get hurt, and if it's going to happen, we'd rather see it happen the first week of the season, so this team can move forward.

They have to move on from Rick DiPietro. He might have all the heart in the world, and he might have once had all the skill in the world, but his body will not let him be a reliable professional athlete. cut the chain off this anchor and sail on ahead.

One last thing, and this is based purely on my assumptions & how I see the team play infront of Rick. I think they resent him. How can't they. He is holding them hostage. He is taking starts away from superior players and points away from the team. He's being treated as though he's this superstar, when he is the furthest thing from it. it has to end NOW

Last edited by Isles Junkie: 10-06-2011 at 01:32 AM.
Old
10-06-2011, 01:35 AM
OlTimeHockey

And he's forcing his defensemen to play a different game, cover mistakes and fight for puck possession with their own teammate. Forwards have to play at a different speed (wondering WTF will he do?) and their defense is not getting them the puck reliably, positioning is off.....because of one guy.

So, yeah, I can see resentment. I need only look at video to see the faces of the many guys on his team he stole the puck from.

But again.....it's his last year IMHO....so I'll pull for him.

Old
10-06-2011, 01:38 AM
Isles Junkie

it really sucks that there will be 20 players announced during the opening night ceremonies and 1 of them will hear boos.

Old
10-06-2011, 01:40 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
it just really sucks that there will be 20 players mentioned on opening night ceremonies and only 1 of them will hear boos.
I hope not....I feel for the guy.

But then I remember, "what competition?" and can chuckle.

Old
10-06-2011, 01:55 AM
NYI94wasaFLUKE9

Ok so were all in agreement that Strome likely stays up for 9 games, whether we like it or not.
I kind of want to try a tavares line without moulson on it. Even if that means putting nino on lw and PaP on rw. I know moulson scored 60+goals for us. But if their plan is to have Moulson-JT- Nino I don't see it working. I have no frigging idea who brings the puck into the zone. JT is good but his skating will have to be astronomically better this year for that to work. Also once they've got it into the zone, are they all going to just go to the crease and play bumper cars with bigger dmen. I think a better combo is the Nielsen line, Nino-JT-PaP, moulson- bailey- comeau, martin-reasoner-pandaman.......and no PAP didn't write this

NYI94wasaFLUKE9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:31 AM
88th Precinct
Pitchfork Acquired

@ Redbull - awesome, awesome post. I don't think I answer everything without going piece-by-piece, so I'll give it a shot -

Quote:

While I know that one can't go by stats alone, I should have designated - Montoya did indeed have the 5th best goals against ad the best overall stats for Islander goalies....yes, it's only pre-season, a preseason where Dylan Reese can have the highest shooting %, admittedly. I'll elaborate on my opinion of Montoya further down.

Quote:
To the bolded, there's a meeting point between consistent output, safely predictable decision-making and health that can aid the other players on the team. While this is just one guy's opinion, I find that on quite a few occasions it seems that DP's teammates don't know how to react when he plays the puck or leaves the crease, because they can never tell when he'll do it, because he often couldn't likely tell you when he'd do it himself.

It's distantly like having to kill a penalty with 3 forwards and one D, and you have to pick between PK Subban and Scott Stevens. I feel that trending towards the safer plays could help stabilize things on the ice a bit. If DP were to take time in the AHL hypothetically, he could evelove his game at a lower level to include those safer moves, which one would miss much more in the playoffs than in the regular season than in the preseason.

Quote:

If he's NOT the best goalie, then he should sit or be sent down, no problem there. Last year, he wasn't the best goalie, that was obvious. He was also injured a lot. This year, he's been great, not a distraction, just played well. Why can't that be a good news story? How can there be so much allegiance to Montoya after a half-season? or Nabokov who's treated this organization like a plague until he was re-born over the summer? I don't get it."
These are the bolded I really wanted to address after reading.

Whatever level he's at, we know his most probable pattern. He'll play like a better-than-just-good goalie shaking off the rust for 3-8 games and then BANG, injury. Continuity on a roster is nice to have, and since waiving Montoya or Nabokov would almost definitely result in losing them, why wouldn't the team move the asset least likely to get claimed? Wouldn't it be better to DP warmed up AND showing what he's still got on the Bridge, considering that with goalies it's often better to keep a certain frequency to the amount of games one starts? With a certain likelihood that DP will need a breather at some point, I hold to the opinion that there's more to gain by Nabby & Montoya starting by splitting games half & half on the Island with DP & Poulin splitting time half & half in the AHL with Nilsson ready to jump up & fill in - at least for starts. This way NO goalie needs time to 'shake off much rust' when taking a start, since they'll all be getting roughly even seasoning with rank to be determined by outcome.

Regarding any allegiance to Montoya, he's a goalie in his prime who looks like he can eat some starts without too much 'fail' who looked better than DP last year.....I'd rather define this opinion as recognition of a job done fairly well more so than allegiance. Even if it were born of allegiance, going by last year's statistics alone (I know, I'm doing it again....) I'd be picking the stronger goalie at those moments recent enough to give insight, since Montoya looked "better than just 'okay'" last year and DP was most often not capable of the kind of play he's expected by so many to provide.

Quote:
To a degree.....but healthy, dependable goaltending out of the gate could go a long way to helping. It's easier to fix a deficiency when you minimize the unknown quantities, and any goalie with a penchant for the unpredictable can easily inject those variable into a game at a moment's notice. It's easier to focus on, analyze and compensate for one deficiency than three, and this team could be icing a largely inexperienced forward group, a largely inexperienced and/or fragile defense corps and a goalie who makes decisions that the players often seemed to get confused by.

Quote:

To the final bolded sentences, I gently disagree with both. 11 years ago, a player of Tavares' caliber would have been traded to Anaheim for Jean-Francoise Jomphe & two 1st round picks. If nothing else, Snow is accumulating some worthwhile talent, even if it is on the bargain bin plan - insomuch as those players most often are intended as stop-gaps. Years ago, we had Mats Lindgren, David Harlock and Cliff Ronning as stop-gaps, after which we had Comrie, Chris Simon & Bill Guerin. Now, it's players that may have enough upside to either stick full time (Grabner) or play full-time before slowly getting relegated to depth (Moulson, Montoya.) Despite the apparent similarity in game plan, the quality, approach and patience of all players involved has vastly improved since it was Milbury calling the shots.

I'm excited for the season as well- this is the best that the Isles have started off with in years - we totally agree there......but at the crux of this debate, there's a difference - I don't have enough allegiance for for a once-brilliant goalie who has been resplendent with fail three quarters of the time he's been on the ice ever since he started getting injured to willingly pipe down - this is a pivotal season and he does the team a bigger favor asessing his skill and cutting down on the oddities in his game where the Isles don't suffer from probable/possible flaws in his decisions.

As for one the organization has or hasn't done, they've tried several times - with Hamhuis, Martin, Ehrhoff, the Nabokov waiting game, but most importantly, ensuring that Tavares, Okposo and Nielsen are here for 5-7 years minimum. If Snow's being extra stingy with picks & players, I'll back his play - it's the dead opposite of what Milbury did to ruin the team, and we won;t have assets to trade for what we need until some of these picks mature into players ready to crack an NHL roster with a strong likelihood of success. Right now, we only like some of these kids because they're talented players that our fave team drafted. The rest of the league, save lottery teams, are pausing and wringing their hands in frustration over missing out on them....and they won't until those players are pushing for a roster spot with more than a lack of depth to help them there.

It's a process that sucks, but to execute a rebuild, my opinion is that if you build from the bottom up, you keep all those high draft picks long enough to gauge their worth, regardless of position....since having 4 LW's that could play on any line (hypothetically) creates redundance.....thus creating a valuable asset far easier to trade than a unique asset.

88th Precinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 06:47 AM
Islanders4life39

Send a message via MSN to Islanders4life39
Everyone needs to calm down, they are acting like Strome playing a few games will be the end of the world. Instead of worrying, take the other side and be excited to see him play for a bit and see what he can do. Chances are he won't be in for ALL the games anyway. He was a 5th overall pick, I am excited to see what line he gets put on, and see if he shows any shades of what is to come in the future. I am very excited coming into the season, I just hope the Isles do the right thing with their goalie situation and we should have plenty to look forward to. Go Isles!

Islanders4life39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:44 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...earn-1.3225495

"He's here now, though, and he'll be in Nassau Coliseum on Saturday when the Isles open the 2011-12 season against the Panthers. Barring an injury, Strome won't play in that game, or likely in any regular- season games, which may seem like an odd decision in keeping the 18-year-old around.
But he's staying to learn by watching rather than by doing.

"He's learned a lot so far, from the rookie camp to the rookie games to playing games against NHL players in the preseason, and we want him to keep on learning, being around all our guys," coach Jack Capuano said. "He's one of those kids who gets it. He understands, he evaluates himself and he knows he's here to soak it all up."

10-06-2011, 09:21 AM
LAPPY13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Corner View Post
May we ask what is a good season?? Better than 5th from last or a playoff team??

Isles fans are so complacent. I expect them to be better than 5th from last but
there are still too many ifs and not enough for sures..

Unless there are a few changes on the defensive side, expect to be picking top 10
I think the Islanders have a good chance to finish 7-8 in the East! If our core stays healthy (Tavares, Grabner, Okposo, Moulson, Nielsen, Streit, A-Mac, Hamonic) there is no reason why we cant make the playoffs. I agree our defense is our biggest weakness but we do have some vets on the blue-line that should play well enough to keep us in most games. We also have two blue-chip D-men in Dehaan and Donovan that might be able to help us come the 2nd half of the season. Our Strength is our ability to score goals this season Tavares and Grabner will have very big seasons and Moulson, Okposo, Nielsen, Comeau should all have 20 plus goals this year! Let Go Islanders!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by LAPPY13: 10-06-2011 at 09:30 AM.
LAPPY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Darth Bangkok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riders on the Strome View Post
It can be any time. Okposo had his 9 at the end of the season.
Thanks! I was thinking it would be better for the kid to have the games later in the season, but if the Isles are in the playoff hunt that won't happen.

Darth Bangkok is online now   Reply With Quote