HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NY Times: 2-on-1: Are Rangers Stanley Cup Contenders, or Just a Good Hockey Club?

Old
10-06-2011, 06:55 AM
TheGrapesOfMcIlrath
Gooey

vCash: 500
NY Times: 2-on-1: Are Rangers Stanley Cup Contenders, or Just a Good Hockey Club?

http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...d-hockey-club/

I've never heard of these 2 guys, Botta and Klein. It's nice to see something in the paper though.

Discuss.

TheGrapesOfMcIlrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 07:47 AM
Poozer

Pretty good read, and I think they appropriately dwell on Staal's injury being the #1 concern. They also do raise the issue of why he was playing last spring... I've never heard of a concussion being diagnosed 4 months after the injury*, and I'm pretty well versed on concussions working in a Neurology department and having suffered a pretty serious one.

*Especially in this situation, where Staal would have immediate access to a doctor... money/time is not an issue here.

Poozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 07:47 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...d-hockey-club/

I've never heard of these 2 guys, Botta and Klein. It's nice to see something in the paper though.

Discuss.
Chris Botta used to be a media guy for the Fishsticks...he then went on to run a Fishsticks blog and then Garth Snow revoked his media credentials. The NY area writers boycotted the NHL award voting in support of Botta last year.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:16 AM
NYR Viper

I really like their comments regarding the 2nd line center. That is 100% true. Teams have to be able to consistently create offense from their lower lines (2nd, 3rd, 4th) in order to win in this league consistently.

I think that with Richards, they have that depth but it may take a couple of years of growth between Stepan, Boyle and Anisimov before they are truly up there.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:42 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

They touched on a lot of good points. I think we're poised for a run within the next 2 or 3 years, but I'd be surprised if we made it this year. Guys like Stepan, Sauer, Del Zotto, Erixon and McDonagh need more seasoning, and Anisimov needs a big year which I think he'll provide.

What we really need to learn from this season is whether or not we can fill that top-line LW spot from within, or if we're going to have to go outside of the organization to do it. Other than that the only thing this team needs, IMO, is time to mature.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:49 AM
JimmyStart*

Thats about as fair and logical an evaluation as you're gonna get going into this season.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:53 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Anisimov and Stepan are already 40 point centers. Anisimov will be playing with a guy who scored 50 points last, and both of them are very defensively responsible. If you can get 50 points out of the second line while also taking into account their defensive ability I think you can gloss over any perceived offensive weakness. I can't read the article because I'm on my phone, but if we're a good,consistent club we can compete for the Cup. With a consistent offense, good defense (hinging on Staal's health) and an elite goaltender, we have a chance in any 7 game series. Forwards and goalies get hot, opposing forwards and goalies can go cold. Heck, we can go cold and lose to an "inferior" team. But if you're a good team and make it to the Playoffs, anything can happen. I look at the Bruins last year as adequate evidence of that- I don't think the B's were necessarily the "best" team in the league but they were a good team and were able to make it happen.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:26 AM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

i have no doubt that staal's concussion did not happen in february. and if it did he had another one since. you don't clear all testing and play another 2 months sympton free then all of a sudden can't practice come summer time. he must have suffered another one during the playoffs or something that was actually serious.

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:35 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
i have no doubt that staal's concussion did not happen in february. and if it did he had another one since. you don't clear all testing and play another 2 months sympton free then all of a sudden can't practice come summer time. he must have suffered another one during the playoffs or something that was actually serious.
When it comes to brain injuries/concussions, there is just no way to know for sure.

Jersey Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:57 AM
OverTheCap

The quote about the Rangers having Marc Staal in the lineup even though he had PCS is very disturbing. The Rangers have been tight-lipped about the whole situation so I have had a hard time making a judgment call about whether they handled it appropriately. But if he was logging big minutes down the stretch and in the playoffs while suffering from PCS... wow, I'm hugely disappointed in how they treated Staal. I poke fun of the Penguins organization for how they handled Crosby's concussion, but the Rangers organization is no different. That's scary and sad.

Meanwhile, I agree with Klein that they can finish in 5th if Staal is healthy. But there are still concerns. As mentioned above, the 1st line LW spot is a big problem... Wolski starting the season on the bottom 6 is not a very good sign. I am still a little worried about Gabby, he was looking to pass first in the preseason instead of shooting the puck. Depending on all these factors, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rangers fighting for a playoff spot yet again, especially if Staal misses more than 15 games.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Swept In Seven
Disciple of The Zook

vCash: 50
I think we are contenders but we have to question the defense right now. I think our offense will put up a lot of points

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 10:10 AM
pld459666

I'm going to say that they are a good hockey club and are 2-3 years away from serious contender.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote