HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Islanders sign Jay Pandolfo to 1 year deal

Old
10-04-2011, 08:48 PM
KyleBailey12

vCash: 500
In before lock

KyleBailey12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:58 AM
Fantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
Why is it good? Did you see him in any preseason games? Neither did I despite the fact he dressed for all of them.
How is that a bad thing ?

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:06 AM
John TavArt Ross

Less available roster spots means the ones who want to be there will continue to be there. I don't mind the signing.

John TavArt Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantom View Post
How is that a bad thing ?
Because he didn't do anything even remotely noticeable. He was completely invisible except for when he was peeling himself off the ice after taking a big hit. With all the talk about people earning a spot this year, what did Pandolfo do to earn it? If his name was, say, Harvey Smith instead of Jay Pandolfo, and he showed up to camp as an off-the-street tryout, do you think he'd have even made Bridgeport's roster, let alone the Isles? Whatever, it's not the end of the world, obviously. But it's a pointless signing that addresses none of the needs that everyone's been talking about since last season ended.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:24 AM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
This entire toughness thing is overblown. You don't need to ice 5 skilled fourth liners to keep your team toughness in check. You know what leads to better team toughness?

Having the opposing teams' players chasing you all night. We need to be scoring goals in bunches.

As I just said, Martin will still be in the lineup. Gillies will be around for toughness as well. The Islanders need to get better at keeping the pucks out of the net, not by fighting more.
Funny how when the team actually toughened up last season and started standing up to other teams and fighting back, they did start scoring goals in bunches and keeping pucks out of their own net. I don't see much point in taking those players who sparked the toughness out of the lineup in favor of Pandolfo, who at this stage of his career doesn't seem to bring anything more than Jon Sim did.

Old
10-05-2011, 10:58 AM
IslesNorway

This is about adding more experience to the side and also to improve some other guys by giving them more ice time in Bport. Does it really do Haley or Martin much good playing 7-10 mins a night on the Isles when they can double that in Bport? A guy like Pandolfo will be used on the PK where he has about 14 years of experience and that may actually gain us a few point this season.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:59 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Funny how when the team actually toughened up last season and started standing up to other teams and fighting back, they did start scoring goals in bunches and keeping pucks out of their own net. I don't see much point in taking those players who sparked the toughness out of the lineup in favor of Pandolfo, who at this stage of his career doesn't seem to bring anything more than Jon Sim did.
And it's funny, because when we were in the middle of our longest winless/losing streak in decades, and the wheels fell off and all of our skilled young players looked lost, developing bad habits, I didn't remember many people clamoring for team toughness, did I?

This team will win based on their ability to stay focused and committed over a full season. These are YOUNG GUYS, and with any youngster, they take vacations - mentally - from the sport for stretches. We have to limit these, and if and when we do, we need the veteran support to keep the train on the tracks.

You can have all the toughness in the world, this team needs better MENTAL toughness. We didn't lose 20 of 21 games because we were soft. We lost because we hadn't a clue what the hell we were doing on the ice. Coach to blame? Sure. GM to blame? You bet. Icing a team of all youngsters NEVER WORKS.

haven't you learned your lessson?

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 12:38 PM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientlyWaiting View Post
And it's funny, because when we were in the middle of our longest winless/losing streak in decades, and the wheels fell off and all of our skilled young players looked lost, developing bad habits, I didn't remember many people clamoring for team toughness, did I?

This team will win based on their ability to stay focused and committed over a full season. These are YOUNG GUYS, and with any youngster, they take vacations - mentally - from the sport for stretches. We have to limit these, and if and when we do, we need the veteran support to keep the train on the tracks.

You can have all the toughness in the world, this team needs better MENTAL toughness. We didn't lose 20 of 21 games because we were soft. We lost because we hadn't a clue what the hell we were doing on the ice. Coach to blame? Sure. GM to blame? You bet. Icing a team of all youngsters NEVER WORKS.

haven't you learned your lessson?
At what point do we stop calling players like Nielsen and Moulson "kids?" They also brought in Rolston and Reasoner for exactly the vet presence you're talking about. On D, it's mostly vets with Streit (missing last season), Eaton, Mottau, Staios, Jurcina. In net, DP and Nabokov are both vets. If there's any sort of veteran presence missing, it's in the form of an elite forward vet that can lead by example on the ice in a top-six role -- sort of a Streit-type at forward -- a glaring need that Pandolfo does not fill.

Pandolfo barely cracked an AHL lineup last season -- he clearly doesn't have it anymore, which was on full display in preseason. Unless he's George Washington reborn in the leadership department, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me -- and it's possible I'm missing some sort of larger picture. I do see the glaring loss of toughness though, with only Martin willing to step in there on behalf of a teammate if need be on the opening-night roster.

Old
10-05-2011, 12:50 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 50
People act like we just signed Brad Richards and JT is getting pushed to line two! Relax Pandolfo will get 10 mins at most in a game ever, while Martin and Haley get near 20 in B-Port. It's like saying signing Stillman is bad for Nino because he has to play one more year in the dub, which is
Not bad

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:08 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
At what point do we stop calling players like Nielsen and Moulson "kids?" They also brought in Rolston and Reasoner for exactly the vet presence you're talking about. On D, it's mostly vets with Streit (missing last season), Eaton, Mottau, Staios, Jurcina. In net, DP and Nabokov are both vets. If there's any sort of veteran presence missing, it's in the form of an elite forward vet that can lead by example on the ice in a top-six role -- sort of a Streit-type at forward -- a glaring need that Pandolfo does not fill.

Pandolfo barely cracked an AHL lineup last season -- he clearly doesn't have it anymore, which was on full display in preseason. Unless he's George Washington reborn in the leadership department, this doesn't make a lot of sense to me -- and it's possible I'm missing some sort of larger picture. I do see the glaring loss of toughness though, with only Martin willing to step in there on behalf of a teammate if need be on the opening-night roster.
I referred to Neilsen and Moulson as kids? Our expected leaders, our true "stars", are KIDS. Okposo is 23?, Tavares 22?.

Are these not kids?

And, btw, I didn't use that term. I said "young", and when you refer to this lineup - last year - it was way too young to expect anything tangible in the standings. And when you look at our main offensive weapons, many of them lack experience, even if Neilsen is 27. He's been in the NHL with the islanders, and the Islanders only, therefore.. his experience is limited to losing. The culture doesn't change with toughness, it changes with a plan and enacting one that works.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Fantom

Quote:
Because he didn't do anything even remotely noticeable. He was completely invisible except for when he was peeling himself off the ice after taking a big hit. With all the talk about people earning a spot this year, what did Pandolfo do to earn it? If his name was, say, Harvey Smith instead of Jay Pandolfo, and he showed up to camp as an off-the-street tryout, do you think he'd have even made Bridgeport's roster, let alone the Isles? Whatever, it's not the end of the world, obviously. But it's a pointless signing that addresses none of the needs that everyone's been talking about since last season ended.
So then you did notice him out there.
Usually when you do not notice a player out there its because they are not hurting you at all and just quietly doing there JOB.

Fantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:15 PM
kpap57

Quote:
I did watch all the pre season games and i noticed him very much. You may not notice him on the score sheet or with his flashy O moves but i most certainly noticed him on the penalty kill in the O zone holding a puck in the corner against three opposing team's players killing the clock as well as strong play in the D zone digging out the puck and clearing it. Solid signing. I mean come on, its not like he is playing in the top 9. He will play 4th line minutes, PK, and in late games when we are up by a goal. Rather him then running with Gillies 4 min a game

Edit: Our PP is def improved with the addition of Rolston, Streit, and Staios. With Pandolpho and Reasoner our PK is improved. Special teams is a huge part to making the playoffs. Both of those needs needed to be addressed in the offseason and they have IMHO. How well it will translate is yet to be seen.

Last edited by kpap57: 10-05-2011 at 08:21 PM.
kpap57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 09:01 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Please don't list Jay Pandolfo on your list of disappointments with this team - seriously.

Last year, this NYI team had a 4th line (sometimes a 3rd line) of players that included: Konopka (-14) Martin (-13) Haley (-4) Gillies (-3) Sim (-10) Schremp (-19) Joensuu (-6) Colliton (-7) Hunter (-3) Weight (-3) - most of them injured or in limited duty.

and a defense that included:
Gervais (-12) Wiz (-18) Mottau (-12) Hillen (-5) Katic (-9)

Look at the list of players and the lack of experience, lack of health (age?) with some, lack of ability/talent for the most part.

I don't believe +/- tells the full story but it's indicative of the lack of talent out there.

These guys are NOT tasked with scoring, they are merely there to play physical, keep the puck deep in the offensive zone, don't give up scoring chances and give the top players a chance to produce.

Most of these guys are gone.

Adding players like Reasoner, Rolston, Pandolfo, Staios is ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE better than the crap we rolled on the ice last year (and I left of those gems like Sims, Campanele, Doornbosch out of sheer shame)

Now, the team still has gigantic holes and a few serious "what if" scenarios and all the stars need to align (and then some) for this team to sniff the playoffs - no doubt about it. But Jay Pandolfo and Steve Staios are on the team because they were the best option at the end of training camp.

That's a reflection of:
1) Snow not getting better players at camp.
2) Younger players not emerging at camp.

Simple simple.

So let's celebrate the little steps forward but not ignore the significant steps ahead.

Almost gameday!

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:41 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Please don't list Jay Pandolfo on your list of disappointments with this team - seriously.

Last year, this NYI team had a 4th line (sometimes a 3rd line) of players that included: Konopka (-14) Martin (-13) Haley (-4) Gillies (-3) Sim (-10) Schremp (-19) Joensuu (-6) Colliton (-7) Hunter (-3) Weight (-3) - most of them injured or in limited duty.

Look at the list of players and the lack of experience, lack of health (age?) with some, lack of ability/talent for the most part.

I don't believe +/- tells the full story but it's indicative of the lack of talent out there.

These guys are NOT tasked with scoring, they are merely there to play physical, keep the puck deep in the offensive zone, don't give up scoring chances and give the top players a chance to produce.

Adding players like Reasoner, Rolston, Pandolfo, Staios is ORDERS OF MAGNITUDE better than the crap we rolled on the ice last year (and I left of those gems like Sims, Campanele, Doornbosch out of sheer shame)

Now, the team still has gigantic holes and a few serious "what if" scenarios and all the stars need to align (and then some) for this team to sniff the playoffs - no doubt about it. But Jay Pandolfo and Steve Staios are on the team because they were the best option at the end of training camp.

That's a reflection of:

Simple simple.

So let's celebrate the little steps forward but not ignore the significant steps ahead.

Almost gameday!
Agreed.

I'll add that if you factor in the hypothetical improvements in scoring and skating, the maturation yielding better defense on F and thus a lesser burden on the goalies (if 1/3 will allow it )......we'll improve on GA while hopefully improving on GF (ESPECIALLY with Gorton not here to start the season with **** play) so...

not such a bad summer. Reasoner only sucks because we lost Zenon and the motivation/toughness. Reasoner helps big because we have one more guy to roll out to protect a lead and stop a powerplay. Pandolfo isn't anything special but he was part of quite a few special rosters and can motivate from that. He's not gonna be a game stealer but he should be a solid presence.....and the guy scratched for Gillies every Pen/Rag/Flyer/Toronto/Duck game. Rolston helps immensely. His PP game is akin, in my eyes, to having a Doug Crossman again. Staios is a reliable defenseman. Nothing flashy, speed fetids need not worry as his positioning is good.

We'll be subtly better and it will be noticed on the scoresheet and the lack of WTF scores.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:44 AM
Bert Marshall days

{MOD EDIT}
Do you think we'd be signing these dinosaur retreads if our situation wasn't what it was in nassau?

I mean it never ends - sillinger, weight, rolston, pandolfo are an injury waiting to happen and taking up a roster spot that youth can serve

Last edited by Homeland Security: 10-06-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Bert Marshall days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 07:36 AM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post

That's a reflection of:

Simple simple.

Almost gameday!
Oh, no way, I'm not disappointed in the team at all. To the contrary, I'm climbing out of my skin waiting for Saturday. Short of grabbing a top-four defenseman, I think it was a good offseason, especially locking up Grabner, KO and Tavares at the numbers and years they got. That's more important than any depth forward or D signing.

But that doesn't mean I can't point out that I think whatever Pandolfo had three years ago or so is completely gone. He'll be in a limited role on the fourth line, and as I said, it's not that big of a deal, but there are probably four or five other forwards just in camp that I think would do a better job in that roster spot, and I don't see the value. I see what it would have been if we got him back when he was a Devil, but not now. If I'm wrong as the season goes on, hey, then I'm wrong. I mean, a few days ago, there were a lot more people saying what I'm saying -- that he looks horrible and there's no way he's making the team. Garth offers him a contract and all of a sudden he's looked great defensively and is totally worth losing toughness in the lineup for.

Old
10-06-2011, 07:47 AM
Brunomics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Marshall days View Post
{MOD EDIT}

Do you think we'd be signing these dinosaur retreads if our situation wasn't what it was in nassau?

I mean it never ends - sillinger, weight, rolston, pandolfo are an injury waiting to happen and taking up a roster spot that youth can serve
I think it would still happen. I mean I look at it this way, Rolston(regardless of salary) fills a spot needed on the 3rd line, Pandolfo(I don't know if he still has it or not, I'll reserve judgement on this one) fills a need on the 4th line. I remember last year the Konopka line got scored on a lot and was basically useless most of the time. With Pandolfo-Reasoner-Martin? I feel comfortable with them having a shift and not getting scored on.

Personaly I'd rather see youth be served but it needs to be in moderation. The Isles top 2 lines are full of youth, promise, and hopefully a lot of goal scoring. This is the first time in a long time I feel comfortble with lines 1-4.

Last edited by Homeland Security: 10-06-2011 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Edited
Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote