HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tavares and Strome Chemistry?

Old
10-06-2011, 12:38 AM
PhoenixDog
Flamer for Life !!!

vCash: 500
Tavares and Strome Chemistry?

I have readd they are friends, both from the toronto area, work out together and hang out together. will they ultimately play on the same line? or do they each center their own line?

PhoenixDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:48 AM
drive45

at some point

my guess is that Cappy will experiment with a Moulson-Tavares-Strome line a few times over the next 9 games, but then most likely we won't see it again for another year, maybe 2.

drive45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:53 AM
KingLio21093
Casey Zeeky

Doubtful Strome plays any games, barring an injury. They want him with the team for a little bit just so he can get the feel of the NHL experience come season time.

KingLio21093 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:54 AM
TheZec

I have the feeling that Strome was drafted to be a center, and that they plan to give the spot next to Tavares to Nino (as shown this postseason, where Strome always played C and Nino was Tavares wing). Maybe if Nino don't perform as they wish we could see a switch, or in the PP we will see Johnny and Strome togheter, but in the end I think they will play on different lines.

I see Bailey being Stromes wing on the third line, honeslty, for the upcoming games, with PA on the first line.

TheZec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:04 AM
Mr Wentworth
Arch Duke of Raleigh

Sure, the idea needs to be kicked around and tried out...

BUT...

As someone pointed out, it is nice to see fans of other teams coming to the Isles board more and more. It is a nice way to help support the belief that we are a team on the rise.

Mr Wentworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:48 AM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive45 View Post
my guess is that Cappy will experiment with a Moulson-Tavares-Strome line a few times over the next 9 games, but then most likely we won't see it again for another year, maybe 2.
As I posted in the roster thread. It doesn't appear Strome will even play.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...earn-1.3225495

"He's here now, though, and he'll be in Nassau Coliseum on Saturday when the Isles open the 2011-12 season against the Panthers. Barring an injury, Strome won't play in that game, or likely in any regular- season games, which may seem like an odd decision in keeping the 18-year-old around.
But he's staying to learn by watching rather than by doing.

"He's learned a lot so far, from the rookie camp to the rookie games to playing games against NHL players in the preseason, and we want him to keep on learning, being around all our guys," coach Jack Capuano said. "He's one of those kids who gets it. He understands, he evaluates himself and he knows he's here to soak it all up."

10-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Veteran journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheZec View Post
I have the feeling that Strome was drafted to be a center, and that they plan to give the spot next to Tavares to Nino (as shown this postseason, where Strome always played C and Nino was Tavares wing). Maybe if Nino don't perform as they wish we could see a switch, or in the PP we will see Johnny and Strome togheter, but in the end I think they will play on different lines.

I see Bailey being Stromes wing on the third line, honeslty, for the upcoming games, with PA on the first line.
In the offensive zone, I think Moulson-Tavares-Nino would be deadly. But it'd also be nice to have a good puck-possession skater on that line that could distribute the puck to Tavares and Moulson. I think Strome could fill that role in the future if Bailey puts it all together and solidifies himself in one of the center spots.

Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 11:56 AM
BEB595

I see this top 9 in the next year or two:

Moulson - Tavares - Nino
Grabner - Strome - Okposo
??? - Nielsen - ???

Two of the four will be traded for a dman an the other two will play with Nielson on the third line: Bailey, Comeau, Petrov, Kabanov

BEB595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:14 PM
One for the thumb

Does it count against the 9 games he's allowed before the NHL contract kicks in if he's on the roster but doesn't play?

One for the thumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:31 PM
1 Timer

Chemistry is a tough thing to explain. Being friends off the ice is good but many times it is mostly unexplainable why you find some players easier than others.

1 Timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:35 PM
Mr Islander

I think that Tavares and Strome could be the #1 and #2 centers in a few years. If Strome develops into a weapon, that could be some combo (always good to be deep at center). Was impressed that Strome won a few faceoffs in the training camp games, a good sign for the future. Bailey is still in the mix. And they have Cizikas, who could become a really good #3 or #4 guy.

Mr Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 04:02 PM
StrongIslanders90

I dont see them putting Strome ON wing because they have not done so all summer...If he plays My guess is he centers the third line with Bailey on the Wing and when Nino comes back an Strome goes to Niagra Bailey centers the line and Nino will go to the 1st line and PAP to the 3rd......Unless Matty-JT-PAP start out really really Hot.....

For the record I wish they would move Strome to Wing.....

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Dan-o16

I don't think it much matters where he played in camp this year, but I hope Strome and JT will eventually play together, and that means on the wing.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Dan-o16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 02:13 AM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

I only see Strome as a wing for this team, but then again I am the only person here apparently who thinks Nielsen is a top-6 center here to stay. Strome has the speed and skill to really get the most out of Tavares' game, and open up a lot of space for JT and Moulson, both of whom are slower players(although JT's skating has impressed me lately).

With Frans locking down the 2nd line spot, and Bailey(who I expect to be trade bait next offseason... I don't see him succeeding at wing on a consistent basis and he just simply is not a bottom-6 center) holding down the 3rd line spot for now with guys like Cizikas, Lee, Nelson and Sundstrom waiting in the wings, IMO all vying for the future of that 3rd line center role, I think the only logical choice is to move Strome to the wing and groom him to play with Tavares.

blinkman360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Hip Of Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Ivan View Post
Sure, the idea needs to be kicked around and tried out...

BUT...

As someone pointed out, it is nice to see fans of other teams coming to the Isles board more and more. It is a nice way to help support the belief that we are a team on the rise.
Meh its just people in fantasy pools for the most part, like that on all the team boards

Hip Of Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Zach6668

Quote:
Originally Posted by One for the thumb View Post
Does it count against the 9 games he's allowed before the NHL contract kicks in if he's on the roster but doesn't play?
No, only games he's in the lineup for.

Zach6668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 09:52 AM
leeroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veteran journeyman View Post
In the offensive zone, I think Moulson-Tavares-Nino would be deadly. But it'd also be nice to have a good puck-possession skater on that line that could distribute the puck to Tavares and Moulson. I think Strome could fill that role in the future if Bailey puts it all together and solidifies himself in one of the center spots.
I think we are overthinkng a lot of this. In the Cup days it wasn't unusual for Arbour to mix up line combos frequently during the year, particularly if the team lost a few games in a row. While Trots and Bossy almost always played together it wasn't unusual for the LW to rotate among Gillies, Tonelli and Bourne. In the playoffs in '80, the second line ended up being Goring, Gillies and Duane Sutter as a rookie.

In '81 you saw Nystrom play second line at times. In '82 Brent Sutter worked into the lineup and the wings were shuffled again. When you look at the league's dominant lines of the period, like the French Connection or the Kings trio of Dionne, Simmer and Taylor etc, the only line that stayed together and won Cups was Lafleur, Lemaire and Shutt.

Given injuries and the modern salary cap rules the odds of a great line staying together for a long period of time is pretty much gone now, so flexibility in pairings is very important. There are few perfect line combos now as well as in the past. It's special when it happens but Stanley Cups are won by great teams not great lines.

leeroggy is offline   Reply With Quote