HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Okay so it wasn't Bob McKenzie

Old
10-05-2011, 11:46 PM
Aeneas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHill Seeker View Post
" Their future best defencemen is a wonderful talent who has the amazing ability to annoy the team he plays for as much as he annoys the team he plays against."

didn't realize subban was annoying to us..?

If you read the whole article its pretty pathetic, there are some truths to it, but i give it two thumbs DOWN

Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:46 PM
habtastic

Quote:
ya, I couldn't help but reply to that POS article. As an article, objectively, it's just terrible. Actually it doesn't really have an objective except to incite "Habs suck" or "Leafs suck" posts. I have a feeling even Leaf fans are like WTF are you talking about. He forgot to mention that the Leafs today might just be "your father's" Leafs. Idiot.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:27 AM
SB164

Quote:
You can't expect anything more from some one who writes for the Toronto Sun though.

This pretty much sums it up, no? (from the comments section): I love hockey, but I don't really know squat, unless you compare me to Simmons, and then I become a genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandant View Post
McKenzie did say that the Habs would make the playoffs, and once they get there they have as good a chance to win series as anyone, because of Carey Price.
Unlike the Chicago - Philly series, last season's playoffs restored people's faith in the goaltender. We all saw the difference between a goalie on his game (Thomas) and one who plays below expectations (Luongo)

Of course, in addition to having the best goalie, you also have to dominate in at least one other facet of the game. Thankfully for the Bruins, they were a great even-strength team.

Last edited by SB164: 10-06-2011 at 12:37 AM.
SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:30 AM
Coldplay
Courage

"canada's favourite team".

I lol'd.

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:24 AM
KanyeWestLEGEND*

Simmons is a wonderful troll

KanyeWestLEGEND* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 06:30 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
People here should give their assessment of the panel before the predictions are tabled because everyone knows that once the predictions are out:

1) anyone on the panel who says anything positive about the Habs will be an astute hockey genius
2) anyone who criticizes or doesn't predict lofty Hab accomplishments are idiots
This could easily be rephrased to say the following and still make sense(as well as apply to half this board).

People here should give their assessment of the panel before the predictions are tabled because everyone knows that once the predictions are out:

1) anyone on the panel who says anything negative about the Habs will be an astute hockey genius
2) anyone who doesn't criticize Hab accomplishments is a genius.

Andy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 07:04 AM
billy piton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roke View Post
Also, Price was not "robbed" of the Vezina. Thomas had a historic or near-historic season.
he said: "Price was robbed of a Vezina Trophy nomination"

billy piton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:08 AM
LoonieDeals

Simmons in a moron. He's the Don Cherry of print media. Anyone with two brain cells don't take him seriously.

LoonieDeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:13 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy piton View Post
he said: "Price was robbed of a Vezina Trophy nomination"
Lots of great goalies last year. Tough to even get a nomination.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
McKenzie did say that the Habs would make the playoffs, and once they get there they have as good a chance to win series as anyone, because of Carey Price.
Not only Carey Price, but this team has shown a great ability to shut down offensive minded teams. With Philly's recent restructuring, they've now become a skill first team, and they lost some of that sand paper that has given Montreal trouble in the past. The only other team(from the playoffs last season) with that kind of "truculence" is Boston, and I always like Montreals chances against Boston.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:21 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
Except Markov is nowhere near to returning...
His return is not "imminent" but it's more a matter of weeks than months. He's had to take his conditionning on the knee a bit slower because swelling developped(water on the knee) when he pushed too hard. If I was a betting man I'd say another 5-6 games.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
No, he didn't say because of Price. He said because we've proven we can beat better teams in the POs.
In other words, Bob McKenzie said Mtl is a team built for the POs.

Who would have thought, the Soft Smurfs are built for the POs...

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:26 AM
shutehinside

Simmons article isn't as bad as most are making it out to be. In fact, I think it's really quite accurate. As for the PK line, it was obviously meant to be more of a joke then an insult. Take it easy boys, no need to be so defensive about these stories. Take solace in the fact that real hockey people I.e. Dreger, Bobby Mac, Crawford, etc, think the Habs will do really well this year.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:28 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
Most of the time we aren't? putting us 8th is actually the safest bet one can make. Last year, we finished 3 pt above 8th, equal in points to the 7th spot and the two years before....we finished....8th! Guess the tsn panel are more often right than not...If they always put the habs at 8th.
Being right 2/4 times is being right often?

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:28 AM
Bodacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
No, he didn't say because of Price. He said because we've proven we can beat better teams in the POs.
In other words, Bob McKenzie said Mtl is a team built for the POs.

Who would have thought, the Soft Smurfs are built for the POs...
He actually said win "a" series. The Habs quick skilled players can get the jump on a lot of teams, but eventually wear out as bigger teams grind them down. So a better description is: Built for a playoff upset - which is what has been happening for the past 10 yrs.

Bodacious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:42 AM
HF-Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Being right 2/4 times is being right often?
That would be right 2 out of the 3 past years and do you really need me to answer or you still have an ouce of objectivity in you? Even being right 2 out of 4 is often considering these are predictions of 15 teams. Look the last decade and we've been hovering between 6th and 10th ( minus one year). You guys acting like putting the habs at 8 is scandalous(?) are funny.

HF-Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:01 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post
"canada's favourite team".

I lol'd.
Well, you're assuming you know what he meant by Canada. Being a Toronro sports writer Canada probably means southern Ontario for him.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:06 PM
Paddyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
His return is not "imminent" but it's more a matter of weeks than months. He's had to take his conditionning on the knee a bit slower because swelling developped(water on the knee) when he pushed too hard. If I was a betting man I'd say another 5-6 games.
Then I would gladly bet against you 5-6 games means about 2 weeks, for a guy who did not have a single practice yet with the team, and no contact yet whatsoever.

Let me gamble with you for 5-6 weeks

Paddyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:08 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHabMan43 View Post
Great to san an expert that's so optimistic about our team.

It's nice seeing us placed somewhere else than 8th place like every year.
Precisely what scares me.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:09 PM
Paddyjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
Well, you're assuming you know what he meant by Canada. Being a Toronro sports writer Canada probably means southern Ontario for him.
Did they really write that???

It's funny because I traveled across Canada quite a bit, (now live in Vancouver), and everywhere I went people hate the Leafs and are usually quite sympathetic to the Habs.

Paddyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:49 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

The Leafs don't have anyone as talented as Subban, Markov or Price on their lineup.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:31 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HF-Addict View Post
That would be right 2 out of the 3 past years and do you really need me to answer or you still have an ouce of objectivity in you? Even being right 2 out of 4 is often considering these are predictions of 15 teams. Look the last decade and we've been hovering between 6th and 10th ( minus one year). You guys acting like putting the habs at 8 is scandalous(?) are funny.
It isn't even that, it would just be nice if for four straight years they actually made a different prediction than the same one every year. Not much of a prediction and more of a copy paste, and yeah 2/3 they were right but 2/4 they were too. I mean do I have to really go back a decade? It's not okay for me to say /4 instead of /3? Come on.

We haven't hovered around 10th in fact in most cases we were a playoff team for 80%+ of the year, how is that hovering around 10th?

It isn't like our team has stayed the same for 4 straight years either and one of the years we even managed 1st place. Not saying it wasn't part luck but point is I just don't see why they always see us as 8th place. Not even 7th ever, not even 9th ever. It's like they don't even bother with a real prediction they just slap the usual 8th place label on us.

Last edited by neofury*: 10-06-2011 at 01:41 PM.
neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
The Leafs don't have anyone as talented as Subban, Markov or Price on their lineup.
According to Brisebois and Cicco, Price is more of a question mark than Reimer..

Old
10-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
According to Brisebois and Cicco, Price is more of a question mark than Reimer..
Did they seriously say that?

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:50 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodacious View Post
He actually said win "a" series. The Habs quick skilled players can get the jump on a lot of teams, but eventually wear out as bigger teams grind them down. So a better description is: Built for a playoff upset - which is what has been happening for the past 10 yrs.
Not true.
Ray Ferraro is the one that raised the question on whether or not they could sustain that level of PO performance over a long run, not Bob McKenzie.

To be precise (have it taped and so, this is a direct quote), Bob said ''they are almost a PO bubble team (my guess is he sees them around 6th) in the regular season, they always find a way to make the POs, but once they are in, I like the Mtl Canadiens to win hockey games when it counts as much as anybody else in the East because of the goaltending and timely scoring.''

So, as I said, according to Bob, Mtl is built for the POs.