HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Leafs interested in Sam Gagner

Closed Thread

Old
10-06-2011, 10:27 AM
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by showtime8 View Post
Gagner isn't a right fit in Toronto. There is no sense in acquiring someone that we already have on our team (Bozak, Steckl).

Edmonton should look too somoene that has enough emerging proven defensemen like Washington, that could spare another up and coming blueliner.

Old
10-06-2011, 10:28 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Gagner isn't a right fit in Toronto. There is no sense in acquiring someone that we already have on our team (Bozak, Steckl).

Edmonton should look too somoene that has enough emerging proven defensemen like Washington, that could spare another up and coming blueliner.
Just wondering how Steckel and Gagner are alike in your eyes. Gagner's biggest weakness is Steckel's only strength, faceoffs.

Old
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

vCash: 1400
Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
A 40 point center, who misses 14 games a season the past 2 years. Who isn't built for the third line and certainly isn't better than our top 2 centers.

Yup personally not interested in trading Gunnar and less interested in trading anything bigger than a third round pick for Gagner. And to the person who said Gunnar or Franson isn't an upgrade from guys like Russel....just lmfao.

Gunnar would be your number 2 without question

Old
pspot

Gagner would make more sense if the Leafs didn't sign Connolly

He'd be a nice talent to have but the more you look at it its hard to find the fit

Old
10-06-2011, 10:30 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
The only Dman I want from the Leafs in an exchange for Gagner would be Schenn. Leafs aren't trading him. Next.

Old
10-06-2011, 10:30 AM
SaskOil*
u mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseV87 View Post
I guess I missed the part where Sam Gagner became good. Four years in the league and he hasn't even sniffed 50 points since year 1.

Not alot of points, not physical, +/- getting steadily worse. What kind of value do Oilers fans think he has at this point? After 4 years the upside argument starts to go out the window.
49 points in your first year isn't "sniffing 50 points since year 1"?? His plus minus had gotten better since his first year as well. At least you could try and base your argument on some facts instead of blatant bullcrap.

I missed the part where he had actual NHL players to play with in the past 4 years and yet still managed over 40 pts each year playing on the 2nd/3rd line on the worst team in the league.

Old
10-06-2011, 10:31 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post
A 40 point center, who misses 14 games a season the past 2 years. Who isn't built for the third line and certainly isn't better than our top 2 centers.

Yup personally not interested in trading Gunnar and less interested in trading anything bigger than a third round pick for Gagner. And to the person who said Gunnar or Franson isn't an upgrade from guys like Russel....just lmfao.

Do you even know why Gagner missed 14 games last year? A freak injury, skate cutting his hand while Jones jumped on the bench.

And Gunnar would be our number 3 at best. Whitney and Gilbert are both better right now, Gunnar MIGHT end up better than Gilbert someday. Gunnar falls into the same category as Smid, so he would be our 3rd/4th d-man.

I don't mind if Leafs fans don't want Gagner, I'd actually prefer to keep him over getting another 4/5/6 d-man (which we already have too many of). But at least do your research.

Old
10-06-2011, 10:32 AM
CF Punk
Le Magnifique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
I think people underrate Gunnarsson. He's a pretty decent defenseman and he's working his way to being a consistent top 4 guy. He doesn't have much flash in his game and he's not going to put up good offensive numbers but he's capable of eating a lot of minutes while playing mistake-free hockey. Again, he won't "wow" you but he'll play a simple yet solid game.
You just described Kimmo Timonen in the making. I'm sure Edmonton would love to have Timonen...

Fact of the matter is that on these forums if you wear a Leafs sweater than suddenly you have no value. It's getting old.

Old
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Just wondering how Steckel and Gagner are alike in your eyes. Gagner's biggest weakness is Steckel's only strength, faceoffs.

They aren't alike, I'm just saying we have enough 3rd liners on this team that we don't need any more at that position.

Old
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho View Post
Gagner played 3rd line last season...
Lol. The guy lead the team in ESTOI/Game last year by a center.

Old
DougGilmour93

Sorry., I doubt the Leafs have interest in Stajan 2.0.

Very average, nothing special or spectaccular to see here.

Old
sparxx87

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskOil View Post
No thx, don't need another center back especially AHL quality, we have that shelf in the cupboard stocked up.

Franson and a 1st for Gagner and a 2nd.

Old
10-06-2011, 10:33 AM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post

You want another 3rd line centreman for a team that already has 2??

Old
10-06-2011, 10:33 AM
The Brewmeister
#Winning.

Send a message via MSN to The Brewmeister Send a message via Skype™ to The Brewmeister
Quote:
No thx, don't need another center back especially AHL quality, we have that shelf in the cupboard stocked up.

Franson and a 1st for Gagner and a 2nd.
You forgot your emoticon. Not a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Haha, this should be fun to watch. Oilers fans will want something ludicrous and post his stats etc., Leafs fans will want to give up Gunnerson + 3rd.

Go for it! Entertain us.
Trolling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogosian4 View Post
Franson and Gunner aren't worth Gagner. they might have to throw in a draft pick or two.
Franson + Gunner for a centreman who didn't keep up to expectations? Easily fair enough. You wont get both though. #sorry!

Old
10-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreMogilny View Post
I think a Gunnarsson for Gagner swap would be pretty fair.
I think it works, as much as the Oiler fans will hate it, they don't have a great D at their side atm so Yea it should work.

Old
10-06-2011, 10:34 AM
SaskOil*
u mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poignant Discussion View Post

In that same dream world Gagner would be your #1 Center AINEC. Our D is bad, but not THAT bad.

Old
10-06-2011, 10:35 AM
vanwest

Quote:

There is no way that Steckel even remotely compares to Gagner. I'd also place him well above Bozak in terms of potential. I'm not saying that Gagner will ever realize that potential but he's 21 years old and shows flashes of some pretty high skill.

Old
10-06-2011, 10:36 AM
popo

Maybe the Oilers would be more interested in Aulie than Gunnarsson. Stay at home Western Canadian kid with some size.

Certainly they'd be willing to sweeten the pot for Schenn. But he has to be considered off the table from Toronto's perspective.

Old
10-06-2011, 10:37 AM
showtime8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
There is no way that Steckel even remotely compares to Gagner. I'd also place him well above Bozak in terms of potential. I'm not saying that Gagner will ever realize that potential but he's 21 years old and shows flashes of some pretty high skill.

I'm referring to the point that he's a 3rd line centre on the worst team in the league. He won't be a good fit on a Leafs team that already has 2 3rd line centres.

Old
The Messenger

Quote:

In that same dream world Gagner would be your #1 Center AINEC. Our D is bad, but not THAT bad.
I would think if Leafs are interested in Gagner it is definately to be # 1 or 2 centre. No use trading for another 3rd or 4th line centre.

I think a # 1 or 2 centre for a # 2 defenceman is close to being fair but no doubt Toronto would have to give more.

Old
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Geno View Post
You just described Kimmo Timonen in the making. I'm sure Edmonton would love to have Timonen...

Fact of the matter is that on these forums if you wear a Leafs sweater than suddenly you have no value. It's getting old.
Actually the fact is that Gunnarson will be fighting for a roster spot and will likely see a lot of time up in the PB. Claiming him to a top pairing Dman on another club just show ignorace. If he is going to be so great then Leafs should keep him and trade one of their other 6 Dmen.
Leafs may have interest in Gagner but EDM has no interest in another depth Dman.

Old
10-06-2011, 10:38 AM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougGilmour93 View Post
Sorry., I doubt the Leafs have interest in Stajan 2.0.

Very average, nothing special or spectaccular to see here.
Stajan didn't break the 40 point barrier in the NHL until he was 25. Gagner has hit at least 40 points every season so far and he's only 22.

Old
10-06-2011, 10:38 AM
SenzZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Geno View Post
Except for the part about "not going to put up good offensive numbers".

In the past 9 seasons, Timonen has put up 50+ twice, 40+ seven times- the past 2 years he's put up 39 and 37 respectively. Those are good offensive numbers.

Old
10-06-2011, 10:39 AM
JSBach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Moss View Post
Gardiner or bust.
Good luck with that.

Old
10-06-2011, 10:40 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I think it works, as much as the Oiler fans will hate it, they don't have a great D at their side atm so Yea it should work.
The only way it really works from Edmonton's side is if its Gunnar and Toronto's 1st for Gagner and Edmonton's 2nd or 3rd. I think Gagner is still more valuable to Edmonton than yet another depth defenseman.

Closed Thread