HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Luongo

Closed Thread

Old
10-23-2003, 02:00 PM
Jericho

vCash: 500
Luongo

Any idea if Luongo's playing both games this weekend?

Old
10-23-2003, 02:33 PM
Takkie
I Goc ya nose!

probably, but hopefully shields will start one, so that luongo isnt worn out

Old
10-23-2003, 03:04 PM
justapantherfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkie
probably, but hopefully shields will start one, so that luongo isnt worn out

I have that same feeling. He's going to have a long year!

Old
10-23-2003, 08:31 PM
evildreams

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by justapantherfan
I have that same feeling. He's going to have a long year!
and this is the price FLA pays for their gm having a brainfart during the waiver draft

Old
10-24-2003, 02:19 AM
justapantherfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by evildreams
and this is the price FLA pays for their gm having a brainfart during the waiver draft

Theres some truth there. I still think they should have gone and got Mason back.

Old
10-24-2003, 03:28 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Quote:
Originally Posted by justapantherfan
Theres some truth there. I still think they should have gone and got Mason back.
Did you see his 1st game for Nashville? He didn't look all that great really. I don't think Hurme has even got to play yet and with 3 tenders there...might not get a shot at all. We haven't even seen Shields yet so why not give him a chance before you say the GM screwed up...he might prove to be a viable backup and a good source of veteran experience.

Old
10-24-2003, 05:03 AM
justapantherfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPanther
Did you see his 1st game for Nashville? He didn't look all that great really. I don't think Hurme has even got to play yet and with 3 tenders there...might not get a shot at all. We haven't even seen Shields yet so why not give him a chance before you say the GM screwed up...he might prove to be a viable backup and a good source of veteran experience.

I am not saying that we shouldn't have gotten shields also nor am I not giving him a chance. He hasn't even played yet. I think they still should have gone and gotten Mason back.

As far as Mason playing badly, some people react differently when they get traded or taken. Look at Parrish after we traded him to the Isle. His first years was not great and now after he has adjusted he is doing great. Granted Shields may suck becuase of this or he could blast off with greatness, one never knows how people are going to react to a change of environment.

Old
10-24-2003, 07:14 AM
evildreams

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichPanther
please some nauseating excuses, i must say. hurme is starting material, and you are going to fault him for being traded to a team with a goalie logjam? lehtonen will log most of the time in CHI, Nurminen is the incumbent starter in ATL, and Dafoe is the default backup so that waddell can justify giving him big dough. mason has played 1 game..ONE GAME...behind a very mediocre NSH team (which speaks volumes about what vokoun accomplished last season). is shields a more proven commodity than mason? it's not even close, so i can sort of agree with you on that. is shields superior to hurme? after what hurme did in ottawa and his relief play here? not a chance

Old
10-24-2003, 08:08 AM
Heimy

I believe I recall reading Hurme was troubled by a back ailment. That's probably why we haven't seen him start yet.

Old
10-26-2003, 05:18 PM
Clash*

First off, we couldn't get Mason back, as he was never placed on waivers after bein drafted, and he was taken before Hurme. Secondly, Heimy, i believe you are correct about Hurme's back problem keepin him from playin at present. I also think Dafoe is trade bait, altho that hasn't been reported. With Raycroft and Hackett playin well, and McLennan not bein bad in Turek's absence, the goalie market isn't that active right now, even with Cujo bein the prize. the goalie market is oversaturated with quality back-ups and young guys lookin to prove their worth right now.

Now onto Shields, and the vast overrating of Hurme' as a true back-up. Hurme' was good when he was gettin consistent starts, but he wasn't holdin down the fort in the second half of the season when seein spot duty. His role was seein that spot duty and he couldn't hack it as seen with his 0-7-1 record. Now Heimy has brought up in the past how the team was slumpin at the same time, but to really look at those stats, the team was slumpin overall and only stickin in games due to goaltending. Shields has always thrived on that spot duty, but wasn't the game breakin starter every team looks for as their regular starter. Shields is more than a placating move. He's possibly an upgrade, if not just a lateral move.

Closed Thread