HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Woywitka claimed off waivers

Old
10-06-2011, 01:50 PM
lJuicel

vCash: 500
This move makes me nervous, really nervous about the health of Marc Staal.

lJuicel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:51 PM
Superstar Carwash

Good depth add. Nothing more, nothing less. Will probably do very well if he plays those 13-15 minutes per game. He's a veteran and will be a great support for Erixon as he adjust to the NA game.

Superstar Carwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:52 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
Who says he/they have to sit in the press box? Maybe Torts, but that's not necessarily the right decision.

Rather play Erixon and co. and deal with his rookie mistakes than deal with no-talent bums such as Bell, Bickel, Woywitka and even Eminger.
We're talking about the 7th D-man, the one that spends most nights in the pressbox. That's why you have the "no-talent bums" you've described. If Erixon is here, it's because he's going to play.

jas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Honestly could care less...unless with was Mara who i had some confidence in...I don't see this as much of an upgrade from Bell who would have been our 7th defensemen.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:07 PM
IAMREALITY

I'll admit I'm not familiar with him at all, but I also don't understand what all the knee jerk yammering is about either.

I fail to see how a 650k per year left handed defenseman that was a +5 playing at the NHL level could be considered a bad move.

IAMREALITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola View Post
Again, wouldn't it be nice if we just got someone who could play for sure? I mean, of course we can't find someone who could match up against the top 3 of Philly/Was/Pitt and co. But someone who, without the intanglibles, at least could get the job done...
That might seem ideal now, but if Staal only misses 2-3 weeks, then it would be kind of a shortsighted investment in a player who will surely command a lot more than $650K. I mean, how much of the ~$1.2M left are you willing to commit to a reserve defenseman?

On the flip side, if Staal ends up missing significantly more time than expected, the only choice will be to part with a commodity for a real solution to the problem.

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:11 PM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Well it doesn't appear that he's overly physical. He's a big boy though, 6'3 227lbs, and he dropps the mitts from time to time. But...he's probably better off leaving them on. Looking on the fight sites it appears he hasen't won a fight in three years! ...So he's got that going for him!

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:15 PM
The Dark Passenger
HFNYR Blues GM

Would have much rather claimed Brett Maclean. Oh well.

The Dark Passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:26 PM
SML

Wow. Well, I think a couple things here. First, this shows how fragile a teams position may be if the injury bug hits. I never thought one injury could do this. Second, they better tell Girardi to cool it blocking the shots, because if he goes down, we are in serious trouble. Third, I know I advocate playing the young guys, but there is a place you have to draw the line, particulalry when they all figure in your plans. If you have to dress two second year guys and two rookies every night, someone is going to look bad pretty much every night. You want to bring them along so they can experience some success and good things. Tortorella will not hesitate to throw a player under the bus and hit him with all four tires if he makes a mistake. He's not a great fit for this D group in that regard. With Woywitka, he gets a guy we have no vested long term interest in to use as his whipping boy and not ruin the confidence of guys who figure in the long term. I rolled my eyes at Eminger, and he worked out. All accounts say this guy is terrible, but what real choice do we have?

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:33 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Bickel assigned to AHL Whale. Accoring to rules, must return to North America. Will fly tomorrow. Ridiculous teams here dont have leeway.
https://twitter.com/#!/NYP_Brooksie/...16332777660416

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:36 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punxrocknyc19 View Post
Believe it or not id be happier if the Rangers brought back Malik....not even joking. Woywitka sucks...
Riiiight. Because I'm sure Malik has kept himself in NHL game shape despite having not been in this league for how many years? If it's as simple as just putting on the uniform, why not ask Brian Leetch what his plans are for this year?

Old
10-06-2011, 02:38 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Tortorella made it clear the Rangers don't expect to land anything more than a third-pair defenseman capable of playing NHL minutes while Staal, who remains at home, attempts to recuperate from the intermittent headaches that have plagued him since the summer.

"If anyone thinks we're getting a guy who can step into our top four, they're dreaming," Tortorella said.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1a1o5dvyq

If you read Larry Brooks yesterday,this type of move was in the cards.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:38 PM
SML

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
How on earth do they plan to enforce that? What if Bickel "refuses to report" until the team leaves Europe? The NHL wouldn't be in charge of suspending him, the Rangers would. Bickel could say he wants to go backpacking in Germany instead of play hockey (wink wink) until they're in the clear.

Old
10-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Pizza

Wow. Just WOW at the reactions to this. NBFD, really.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Pakeha

I think its a good move by Sather. An experienced depth guy who he got real cheap when the blue line is hurting. Nothing to lose really. Besides he is a good Alberta lad.

Pakeha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:47 PM
MAYO

Here's the thing, if I would have posted a proposal to trade Avery for Woywitka, I would have been torched on this site, essentially, that's what just happened. Congrats Torts!!

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:49 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAYO View Post
Here's the thing, if I would have posted a proposal to trade Avery for Woywitka, I would have been torched on this site, essentially, that's what just happened. Congrats Torts!!
I would be okay with that trade actually. Especially with the injury to Staal.

Woywitka is another Eminger. Good enough for the bottom-pairing.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:52 PM
MAYO

Great so we start the season with 3 guys good enough for 7th d-man spot!! this truly does not help our current situation what so ever. And don't ask for my source but Stall is gone for more than a month for the record!

MAYO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:55 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I'll give him props for staying on his feet with Tootoo

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:59 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Great so we start the season with 3 guys good enough for 7th d-man spot!! this truly does not help our current situation what so ever. And don't ask for my source but Stall is gone for more than a month for the record!
Who is available for the Rangers to trade for then and what are they asking for? Teams know the Rangers are in a bad spot so they will be asking for the moon.

Are you willing to move McIlrath or Kreider for a bottom pairing veteran defenseman?

Old
10-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Osminator

The Rangers are actually blessed with having a rock-solid top 4 (when everyone is healthy) and players such as Del Zotto, McIlrath and Erixon having the potential to be top 4 guys... quite the luxury when a team has to be concerned about the #5, #6 and #7 guys...

But in the Rangers' world, the #1 D-man goes out injured and all hell breaks loose and team ends up with three #7 Dmen on the roster...

Osminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:03 PM
Melrose_Jr.

Quote:
By who? A straight swap of reserve players that saves $1.275M. Sign me up!

Melrose_Jr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pizza

The Tort's comment is interesting. What/who do you guys think we have to give up to secure a top four D man.

Just curious.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Without Staal:

McD-Girardi
MDZ-Sauer
Erixon-Eminger

With Staal:

Staal-Girardi
McD-Sauer
Erixon-MDZ
Eminger

What's the problem? Bickel, Bell and Woywitka will all be gone as soon as Staal is back. Erixon should not be AHL-bound in favor of players like Bickel, Bell and Woywitka. He can learn on the fly.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:05 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
The Tort's comment is interesting. What/who do you guys think we have to give up to secure a top four D man.

Just curious.
If they are a legit top-4 d-man?

1st '12

Maybe Thomas + 2nd '12

Teams know the Rangers position. They won't do them any favors.