HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks waive F Victor Oreskovich(UPD: Clears), claim F Dale Weise from NYR

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-05-2011, 04:32 PM
  #276
Kagee*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,094
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtr3m View Post
Good Winnipeg boy.
@benkuzma
Canucks winger Weise: "It's great to be somewhere you're wanted, more than the four years in New York. What a difference."
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
This kid could be a fan favorite if his play is as likable as his quotes.
haha yeah glad to hear he's uber excited to be here, hope he surprises people with his play.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:40 PM
  #277
Bobby Lou
We Surrender
 
Bobby Lou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: The Crease
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,332
vCash: 500
EDIT: Wrong thread. Doh!

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 04:41 PM
  #278
moog35
Registered User
 
moog35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
To be fair to Oreo - in that clip, Ballard was the closest player to Marchand and had his gloves offs almost before Daniel hit the ice. Oreo didn't really have a chance to get into that one without taking a 3rd man in penalty. However he SHOULD have taken McQuaid rather than letting Ehrhoff do it.

Personally, I don't care if someone is a good fighter or not. But a 4th line player who is 230lbs has to have far more game than that.
I wouldn't have minded seeing him take a 3rd man in penalty when its late in a game we have no chance of coming back in and one of are best players gets roughed up by a punk like Brad Marchand. I agree with the rest of your post, I don't care if your a good fighter or not as long as your willing to stand up for your teammates.

Oreskovich has 4 career fights in the NHL and 3 in the AHL and none in 81 career OHL games. I have watched all of his fights in the NHL and they are all fights he is forced into as a response to one of his hits. He has no choice not to fight in any of them as guys are either jumping in for a teammate he just rocked or guys he just took a run at are pissed and decide to go after him. That shows me that hes only willing to drop the gloves if he has to, and only drops the gloves to protect himself, not one of his fights has him going after someone and picking a fight or standing up for one of his teammates. When your a 6'3 220 pound 4th liner with limited offensive skills you need to stick up for your teammates once in a while if you want to keep your job

moog35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:19 PM
  #279
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,760
vCash: 500
No surprise that VO cleared.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:23 PM
  #280
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 16,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I disagree that we're having injury problems. We're missing Kesler and Raymond. When they get back we will be missing a couple of more players based on past experience. Last year we were missing Samuellson and Malhotra going into the playoffs. On defence, if we lose someone we have enough depth that Rome and Alberst can step up and Sulzer appears serviceable. We should be built so that we always can react if two or three players are hurt. As last year's playoff run showed depth at every position is important and a fourth line that can play 10 or 11 minutes helps reduce the wear and tear on our key players.
I'm not critcizing Gillis on this as I believe the fact that he claimed Weise and waived Oreskovich shows that he agrees we were too weak on the fourth line. I expect he will still make another move. We have the cap space and Gillis is a very smart GM.
I think being able to ice Pinizotto - Lapierre - Weise or even Oresekovich or even Bitz as your 4th line with two-three injuries is comparable to dressing Rome and Alberts with a few D injuries (especially considering that your bottom pairing defense is MUCH more important than your 4th line). It's great depth and a great backup in case of injuries as is-- It's not perfect, but why the **** would it be? Expecting more is just greedy, IMO.

Are you demanding something like this?

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows (I'm just throwing lines together, they're meaningless)
Sturm - Kesler - Samuelsson
Higgins - Hodgson - Raymond
Lapierre - Malhotra - Hansen

Upgrade Pinizotto to a guy closer to Lapierre-level and let him be a healthy scratch
Upgrade Weise to a guy closer to Lapierre-level and let him be a healthy scratch
Upgrade Oreskovich to a guy closer to Lapierre-level and let him be a healthy scratch
Bitz
Schroeder
Ebbett
Duco

Sounds like a total pipe-dream to me. By all accounts Pinizotto, Weise, and Oreskovich are each capable of at least being serviceable fourth liners at the NHL level-- a ton of guys around these boards would even argue that each are quite a bit better than Glass (not sure if I do), who was probably consistently our best fourth liner when healthy the past few seasons (not saying much but still). That's more than you should expect from your spares, or your 13th, 14th, and 15th forwards, especially considering that you still have decent 16th, 17th, and 18th forwards coming up after that.


Last edited by Shareefruck: 10-05-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Shareefruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 07:59 PM
  #281
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 17,784
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
I agree, if we can keep a serviceable 4th line that won't cost us then we can play them 11mins a night later in the season and rest our top 2 lines a bit more.

If everyone is healthy and Hodgson sticks on either the 2nd or 3rd line, then were left with....

Higgins-LaPierre-Hansen

That was our 3rd line for much of last post season, and they played great. Even if we have an injury and Hansen or Higgins moves up we still have Weise waiting to play. Plus, I'd be quite shocked if Gillis didn't pick up even MORE depth at the deadline, or a larger acquisition to push depth further down the line-up.
sedins-burrows
ray-kes-sam
Torres-Mal-Hansen
Higgins-Lappy-Hodgson
spares: glass, Oreo

That was our 4th line heading into last years playoffs. It was solid line, injuries to Sammy and malhotra turned it into glass-Hodsgon-Oreo. Sturm in for Torres otherwise its a similar lineup

So is this years really any better if we get injuries?
* Hodgson seems better than last season.
* Weise is no more proven than Oreo
* Pinz is no more proven than glass
* Bitz is out, possibly for the year

A healthy team > depth.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:07 PM
  #282
vanwest
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
I think being able to ice Pinizotto - Lapierre - Weise or even Oresekovich or even Bitz as your 4th line with two-three injuries is comparable to dressing Rome and Alberts with a few D injuries (especially considering that your bottom pairing defense is MUCH more important than your 4th line). It's great depth and a great backup in case of injuries as is-- It's not perfect, but why the **** would it be? Expecting more is just greedy, IMO.

Are you demanding something like this?

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows (I'm just throwing lines together, they're meaningless)
Sturm - Kesler - Samuelsson
Higgins - Hodgson - Raymond
Lapierre - Malhotra - Hansen

Upgrade Pinizotto to a guy closer to Lapierre-level and let him be a healthy scratch
Upgrade Weise to a guy closer to Lapierre-level and let him be a healthy scratch
Upgrade Oreskovich to a guy closer to Lapierre-level and let him be a healthy scratch
Bitz
Schroeder
Ebbett
Duco

Sounds like a total pipe-dream to me. By all accounts Pinizotto, Weise, and Oreskovich are each capable of at least being serviceable fourth liners at the NHL level-- a ton of guys around these boards would even argue that each are quite a bit better than Glass (not sure if I do), who was probably consistently our best fourth liner when healthy the past few seasons (not saying much but still). That's more than you should expect from your spares, or your 13th, 14th, and 15th forwards, especially considering that you still have decent 16th, 17th, and 18th forwards coming up after that.
Good post! That is very solid depth. I'm assuming that we have Raymond injured and at least one other player. Say, just as an example, it's Samuelsson. Now you take out Raymond and Samulesson. If we can pick up a third liner type at the deadline that can move up and down the lineup he can slot in for Samuelsson. I guess I'm not convinced that two of Oreskovich, Pinizotto and Weise can step in and perform for 10 minutes a night. In fact, I'm pretty sure that management doesn't have faith in Oreskovich to play that much. I think there's a good chance that one of Pinizotto or Weise could work out. Anyways, by the trade deadline we should have a better idea as to whether they can. If they are both decent players then our problem is solved. Maybe then we look at packaging a couple of players to get a winger for Kesler. Lots of options. And you are right, though. I am greedy! I want Gillis to spend right up to the cap by year's end even if it means that some players are sitting out. Boston had Seguin sitting out games in the playoffs.


Last edited by vanwest: 10-05-2011 at 08:12 PM.
vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 08:09 PM
  #283
CloutierForVezina
Registered User
 
CloutierForVezina's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
sedins-burrows
ray-kes-sam
Torres-Mal-Hansen
Higgins-Lappy-Hodgson
spares: glass, Oreo

That was our 4th line heading into last years playoffs. It was solid line, injuries to Sammy and malhotra turned it into glass-Hodsgon-Oreo. Sturm in for Torres otherwise its a similar lineup

So is this years really any better if we get injuries?
* Hodgson seems better than last season.
* Weise is no more proven than Oreo
* Pinz is no more proven than glass
* Bitz is out, possibly for the year

A healthy team > depth.
Malhotra was injured 10 games before the playoffs and Samuelsson was battling injuries all year.

You're also ignoring the fact we could pick up another pair of guys like Lapierre and Higgins at this trade deadline... or even someone more substantial.

We're better this year than we were at this point last year. And when you're talking about about a president's trophy winning, most GF, least GA team that made it to game 7 of the SCF, you can't expect much more than that.

CloutierForVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:09 PM
  #284
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,911
vCash: 500
Article on Dale Weise from Ben Kuzma.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...994/story.html

Last year's starting fourth line in Game 1: Tanner Glass and Guillaume Desbiens between Alex Bolduc - and then the Canucks went through 14 players trying to find the right mix.

This year Aaron Volpatti and Dale Weise centred by Max Lapierre - with Victor Oreskovich, Mike Duco and Mark Mancari in the AHL and Steve Pinnizzotto on IR waiting in the wings. It looks to be a significant upgrade.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:22 PM
  #285
Abaddon*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 219
vCash: 500
More like Womancari.

Abaddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:30 PM
  #286
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!
 
Eddy Punch Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chillbillyville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
More like Womancari.
More like Abadposter.



Eddy Punch Clock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:39 PM
  #287
Wetcoaster
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Out There
Posts: 54,911
vCash: 500
Video interview after practise with Dale Weise (WEESE like "geese").
http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videoce...n-news-weise-v


Last edited by Wetcoaster: 10-05-2011 at 10:57 PM.
Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 10:56 PM
  #288
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On
 
Winroba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,349
vCash: 500
I think I like him, I'm not really sure

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-05-2011, 11:32 PM
  #289
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!
 
Eddy Punch Clock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chillbillyville
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,998
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
I think I like him, I'm not really sure
Awww, it's O.K. sweetie. You don't want to rush into anything just yet. Take things slow and see how you feel about him after you get to know him a little better. If it was meant to be, it was meant to be.


Eddy Punch Clock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:07 AM
  #290
RobertKron
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 8,607
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquiace View Post
Does playing in Chicago count as being wanted or does he have a legitimate role on the team?
I doubt the Canucks would waive oreskovich just so that they could waive weise. That would make no sense at all.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:11 AM
  #291
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On
 
Winroba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Awww, it's O.K. sweetie. You don't want to rush into anything just yet. Take things slow and see how you feel about him after you get to know him a little better. If it was meant to be, it was meant to be.

I kinda like that he's from small town Canada but he's spent so much time in the big city of New York that I'm afraid he'll be too big for this small market team now

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:18 AM
  #292
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 10,030
vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
More like Abadposter.



vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:31 AM
  #293
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,347
vCash: 796
The main upgrade on the 4th line is Lappy, plus when Kes returns some body from the top 9 will end up on the 4th line so that'll be a major upgrade as well.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:29 AM
  #294
me2
Seahawks 43
 
me2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Broncos 8
Country: Wallis & Futuna
Posts: 17,784
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloutierForVezina View Post
Malhotra was injured 10 games before the playoffs and Samuelsson was battling injuries all year.
No that is my point. You have to stay healthy, our potential playoff at the deadline was roster was great on the 4th line then injuries hit.

Quote:
You're also ignoring the fact we could pick up another pair of guys like Lapierre and Higgins at this trade deadline... or even someone more substantial.
We might but we could stand pat as well if the current roster of fowards is heathly at the deadline. Great 4th lines need the team to be lucky with injuries.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 04:41 AM
  #295
Abaddon*
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 219
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
More like Abadposter.


Please tell me ways to improve?

Abaddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 06:24 AM
  #296
King of Anarchy
Registered User
 
King of Anarchy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Port Coquitlam, BC
Posts: 4,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
Please tell me ways to improve?
You're just one click away!



No need to thank me.

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:40 AM
  #297
Steveorama
Registered User
 
Steveorama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Mississauga, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
(WEESE like "geese").
Actually, I believe it is pronounced "migh-NER LEEG-er".

Steveorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 11:07 AM
  #298
LeftCoast
Registered User
 
LeftCoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of Anarchy View Post
You're just one click away!



No need to thank me.
Nicely done.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:44 PM
  #299
cooker24
Registered User
 
cooker24's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winroba View Post
I kinda like that he's from small town Canada but he's spent so much time in the big city of New York that I'm afraid he'll be too big for this small market team now
But... But... But Vancouver is a world class city.

cooker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:10 PM
  #300
BrockH
HFBoards Sponsor
 
BrockH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 2,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Article on Dale Weise from Ben Kuzma.
http://www.theprovince.com/sports/ho...994/story.html

Last year's starting fourth line in Game 1: Tanner Glass and Guillaume Desbiens between Alex Bolduc - and then the Canucks went through 14 players trying to find the right mix.

This year Aaron Volpatti and Dale Weise centred by Max Lapierre - with Victor Oreskovich, Mike Duco and Mark Mancari in the AHL and Steve Pinnizzotto on IR waiting in the wings. It looks to be a significant upgrade.
Higgins and Lappy were both added by playoff time though. Who cares how the opening day rosters compare? It's how the playoff rosters compare. Add those two deadline acquisitions to the roster and the 4th line last year vs this year isn't all that different. Not that I'm exceptionally unhappy with the current lineup, but unless we either:
A) have better injury luck,
or
B) Make similar deadline acquisitions this year (another Lappy + Higgins),

then we have not made any clear/major upgrades. Maybe that's okay, and maybe expecting enough depth to cover up the types of injuries we had last year is unreasonable. But lets call it like it is.

BrockH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:22 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.