HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Numminen at home as coach

Old
10-06-2011, 11:00 AM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Numminen at home as coach

Quote:
Numminen will add another Friday when the Buffalo Sabres start the regular season against Anaheim in Helsinki. This time, the experience will be as a coach instead of as a player.

Numminen is beginning his third week as an assistant on Lindy Ruff's staff. It's been a whirlwind stint of learning a new profession while traveling through Europe.

"It's been a lot going on," Numminen said. "I'm just grateful to have such a great coaching team working with me. I've learned a lot. It's been a great learning couple weeks, and it's been exciting."

Though the Sabres have been a model of consistency with Ruff behind the bench since 1997, this offseason saw tremendous turnover with his staff. Longtime associate coach Brian McCutcheon was let go. Ruff added Numminen and promoted development coach Kevyn Adams to an assistant's role on the bench.
Quote:
The Sabres have typically had two assistant coaches, but with holdover James Patrick also around, they are up to three. It's given them more time to teach.

"We're going to have to as a staff grow and help each other, really figure out what the best tools are for each guy," Ruff said. "It's a sorting-out process, but I think through the preseason I like what the staff has done. We've done a lot of individual work with players, and due to the size of the staff you can spend time now. You can have Teppo spend time with one or two of our defensemen. You can have James Patrick and Kevyn Adams doing the same. In that way, it's been easier."
Quote:
Numminen sits in the press box on game nights and communicates via headset with Adams. With seven preseason games on their resume, they feel they have a good understanding of each other. Numminen will observe an opponent's forechecking scheme or breakout strategy, and he'll relay the information to Adams.
Quote:
Adams spent last season working with players during and after practices, showing them tips he learned during a Stanley Cup-winning career. He did that again Wednesday, but the games will give him an added teaching technique.

"I'm working with the forwards as they come off, so it's a little more hands-on in terms of immediately having feedback," he said.
http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/sa...icle583173.ece

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 11:46 AM
BackGroundMusic
rebuildingeverywhere

Who's directing the powerplay?

BackGroundMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:03 PM
dire wolf
be cool

I think this is a big development for the team. Also, even though McCutcheon is a Cornell guy (my alma mater), I think it was time for him to exit. Teppo should be able to teach the young D-men a lot, and his vision from above during games could be very valuable. To my knowledge, nobody was in that role last year.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:07 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
I think this is a big development for the team. Also, even though McCutcheon is a Cornell guy (my alma mater), I think it was time for him to exit. Teppo should be able to teach the young D-men a lot, and his vision from above during games could be very valuable. To my knowledge, nobody was in that role last year.
I thought it was Adams on the headset down to Patrick? The difference is, Teppo's got such a head for the game and had such vision, it seems a natural benefit to have him in that position and relaying what he sees.

10-06-2011, 02:16 PM
dire wolf
be cool

Agreed -- Teppo was one of the best positioning-based defenders in the league for years. His vision and understanding of the game is outstanding (well, from what I can tell, anyway).

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:35 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
I thought it was Adams on the headset down to Patrick? The difference is, Teppo's got such a head for the game and had such vision, it seems a natural benefit to have him in that position and relaying what he sees.
I read somewhere that prior to Teppo's hiring there wasn't a full time person in that job. I'm not saying Adams didn't do it, just passing on info.

joshjull is offline   Reply With Quote