HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs have interest in Sam Gagner

Old
10-06-2011, 02:20 PM
RogerRoeper*

vCash: 500
I agree Turris is the guy to get.

RogerRoeper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:32 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felstead View Post
Been saying it since day 1. TURRIS. He clearly does not like playing in the desert and just needs a change of scenary/opportunity. Yes, he hasn't proved much but their is just something special about this kid that hasn't been discovered yet. He could be a really special player.
give him the same time over the days and i think he can do magic for us, just like mac did for us.

Leaf Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:45 PM
weems

Gagner is one of the most overrated players in the league.
He's really just not that good. Small, Slow, rather weak, suspect defensively. He doesnt have the explosive or good skating to be a very effective centre in the league. He's basically PM Bouchard Version #2.Great hands and vision but really not much else but PMB is actually a better skater.

I dont think Gagner is even that much better then Bozak.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:48 PM
MoreMogilny
Cap'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by weems View Post
Gagner is one of the most overrated players in the league.
He's really just not that good. Small, Slow, rather weak, suspect defensively. He doesnt have the explosive or good skating to be a very effective centre in the league. He's basically PM Bouchard Version #2.Great hands and vision but really not much else but PMB is actually a better skater.

I dont think Gagner is even that much better then Bozak.
I wouldn't be surprised to see Bozak post a better season than Gagner.

I'm not saying it's definite, but it wouldn't surprise me. That's if Bozak gets decent ice time.

MoreMogilny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:52 PM
calcal798

Lupol-Connolly-Kessel
Kuli-Grabo-Mac
Lombo-Gagner-(Frattin/Kadri)
Dupuis-Steckel-Army
Rosehill

Thats a pretty solid offensive group.

calcal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 02:58 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 723
from the oilers perspective I suspect that the oiler may try to move Gagnear of RNH sticks beyond game 9

with a healthy line up

Oilers C are

Gagner
RNH
Horcoff
Belenger

however Belenger is more a third line center---If RNH clicks and stays I would suspect Gagner get moved and the oilers C looks like

RNH
Horcoff
Belenger
Lander

but the oilers are not going to give Gagner away

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:15 PM
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG

I'm a huge fan of Gagner, but again... where the hell would he play?

If we traded Bozak the other way, it'd be a lateral move as of now.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:39 PM
gabeliscious

its all part of burkes master plan to get stastny.

gabeliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:40 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tootoo Train View Post
You're insane. Grabo is the only dependable center we have and anchors the only dependable line. He isn't going anywhere unless we want a lottery pick.
It all comes down to the dollars and term. Do you really see Burke committing big dollars and big term for Grabo? I definitely don't. Its not that he doesn't necessarily like or want Grabo in the teams long term future, its just that he won't build a franchise around him if Grabo wants franchise type money.

Burke has certainly proved he isn't afraid to let our so-called best players move on as witnessed with Antropov, Poni, Moore and Kaberle. And yes, Antropov, Poni and Moore were sadly among our best players when they left.

Or Federov when Burke was still in Anahiem.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:47 PM
Ricky Bobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Mack View Post
Well in the meantime I'm sure Gagner will be thrilled playing on the 4th line until those three scenarios pan out.
Lombardi can also play the wing and is starting the season on the 4th line as he recovers from post-concussion issues. He is one middly hard hit away from his career being over.

Tinman Connolly will certainly miss time.

Grabo could possibly be traded if Gagner came in if it doesn't look like Burke could resign him. Even with the Leafs vying for a playoff spots if it looks like Grabo wants to test the UFA market Burke has to get something for him if that is the case because the Leafs aren't a legitimate cup contender.

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:48 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Bobby View Post
It all comes down to the dollars and term. Do you really see Burke committing big dollars and big term for Grabo? I definitely don't. Its not that he doesn't necessarily like or want Grabo in the teams long term future, its just that he won't build a franchise around him if Grabo wants franchise type money.

Burke has certainly proved he isn't afraid to let our so-called best players move on as witnessed with Antropov, Poni, Moore and Kaberle. And yes, Antropov, Poni and Moore were sadly among our best players when they left.

Or Federov when Burke was still in Anahiem.
Grabo is better than any of those guys were when Burke moved them. By a long shot. A lot of people would be extremely upset with Burke if he ended up letting Grabo walk, and that's because it would be near idiotic. The guy has started playing the way we hoped he would one day play, and now that he's going to ask for the money he deserves, people don't want to bring him back? I never understood how people would not want to pay their good players money. He'll get less than $5 million, I would imagine, but he's a lower-tier first-line center right now (with the potential to move up the list) who plays a balls-to-the-wall style of hockey that Burke and Wilson love. Him and Kulemin should be Leafs for a long, long time. Pay them their money

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Joe Pesci
Do I amuse you?

Holy hell. The thread on the main boards is awful. Seriously, all Leafs and Oilers threads should be banned.

On topic, I have no interest in Samn Gagner. Just seems like a tweener who isn't a big enough upgrade over anyone we have now. I don't see any point in going after him.

Joe Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:52 PM
IBeL13f

Quote:
Lombardi can also play the wing and is starting the season on the 4th line as he recovers from post-concussion issues. He is one middly hard hit away from his career being over.

Tinman Connolly will certainly miss time.

Grabo could possibly be traded if Gagner came in if it doesn't look like Burke could resign him. Even with the Leafs vying for a playoff spots if it looks like Grabo wants to test the UFA market Burke has to get something for him if that is the case because the Leafs aren't a legitimate cup contender.
Grabovski bleeds blue and white more than almost any other player on the team. We gave him a chance when he was struggling, and he's adapted to Wilson's system better than anyone else has.

No way Burke moves any significant pieces if we're in the playoff race. Even if we can sniff the 8th seed, Burke will make us a buyer at the deadline, not a seller. Trading our present for futures if we're fighting for the playoffs is a good move for Burke if he wishes to lose his job. And once the playoffs start, anything can happen. We'd be a hot goalie away from making a decent push, depending on who we were matched up against.

IBeL13f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Everlong
-

Quote:

As of right now, Grabo is better than all those players mentioned. If Burke doesn't want to give Grabo the money he deserves I give up on this organization. He's tough, he's dynamic, and is progressing in other aspects of the game (faceoffs, PK, defensive play, etc). I seriously doubt he'll sign for more than 5mil aswell.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Kamal007
A$VP

Big fan of Gagner but I agree with most, Turris is a better fit. I would rather take the chance on him, hoping for his playoff success to transfer over instead of getting Gagner.

Kamal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 04:01 PM
IWD

Gagner is a downgrade on Bozak. Pass.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 04:10 PM
TMLFAN4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
I disagree. Considering the fact that Bozak has never even cracked the 35 point mark in the NHL his entire career and Gagner puts up at least 40 points every year he plays, I don't see your logic here...

TMLFAN4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Drew311
Bustlander

Gagner is not the answer. If you're going to give away assets, bring in a god damn impact player!!

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 04:14 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

How did this become Gagner for Bozak when the oilers are looking for a d-man?

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drur93 View Post
in the end gagner could be better, but as MM said with the way bozie came into training camp...he could explode.

Old
10-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Platinum Seat Leafs

If People really think Bozak is better then Gagner then you seriously need a reality check.. Bozak wasn't drafted for a reason and we are seeing why the empty net chances that he misses are inane..

Gagner would be a huge upgrade to our Center core and slot him in with Kessel and Lupul for a whole season would be magical .. Connolly can take over for Grabovski next year

Platinum Seat Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 04:24 PM
MeowLeafs
LM is awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
in the end gagner could be better, but as MM said with the way bozie came into training camp...he could explode.
Most likely won't though. Unless by "explode" you mean put up 35-45 points. Gagner is 3 years younger, played 2 more seasons, is a lock for at least 40 points, and is likely to put up 50+ very soon. I take Gagner over Bozak 10/10.

MeowLeafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 04:32 PM
TMLFAN4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
Most likely won't though. Unless by "explode" you mean put up 35-45 points. Gagner is 3 years younger, played 2 more seasons, is a lock for at least 40 points, and is likely to put up 50+ very soon. I take Gagner over Bozak 10/10.
hahah very well said, +1.

TMLFAN4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowLeafs View Post
haha you and me both but yes that's very well said

Last edited by Leaf Rocket: 10-06-2011 at 04:37 PM. Reason: spelling
Old
10-06-2011, 04:35 PM
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALDAL View Post
If People really think Bozak is better then Gagner then you seriously need a reality check.. Bozak wasn't drafted for a reason and we are seeing why the empty net chances that he misses are inane..

Gagner would be a huge upgrade to our Center core and slot him in with Kessel and Lupul for a whole season would be magical .. Connolly can take over for Grabovski next year
There isn't one center in our system that could replace Grabo, he's our best center and the toughest player on the ice.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote