HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Lee gets the shaft...ready for playing some hockey!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-06-2011, 04:53 PM
  #26
N Bahn Ahden
Registered User
 
N Bahn Ahden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,163
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
Just goes to show that the ceiling of Brian Lee is evident to the coaching staff. This is as good as he gets, people. And that makes him a fringe NHLer.
This post makes no sense. This is as good as he gets? If so, that's still good enough to be playing regular minutes in the NHL. And it's ridiculous to argue that this is his maxed out potential. He's 24.

N Bahn Ahden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 04:55 PM
  #27
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 10,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coladin View Post
Just goes to show that the ceiling of Brian Lee is evident to the coaching staff. This is as good as he gets, people. And that makes him a fringe NHLer.
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
My ass, it's a number game plus it doesn't help that he was drafted by the old management staff.

I would rather have Lee in the lineup than Philips based on the preseason and last year.
I disagree, Murray has seen Lee now for a number of yrs, we can't continue to blame Muckler & old management drafting him anymore for this. Any good coach or GM won't get rid of a good hockey player just because he was drafted by the old regime, that just doesn't fly anymore. If Lee was as good as so many here think he is he would be in the lineup. He isn't because he is easily replaced & if he was better wouldn't he make a lot more money than he does.

I think most agree that Rundblad has already surpassed Lee in offensive talent, he has already done things in preseason that Lee has ever done. Lee was suppose to be like Brian Leitch remember & he never came close to that. In fact, he became a shutdown defenceman instead of an offensive defenceman nowhere near what he was suppose to be. He has had a decent camp but I would rather have Boroweicki or Gryba in the lineup than Lee, they're tougher & IMO they will eventually take his spot. Lee seems to have developed into a decent shutdown defenceman with very little offence to his game. Personally, I want my shutdown defenceman to be a lot tougher than he is. I wouldn't be surprised if he is shipped out before Carkner is, obviously they will try to get rid of Kuba first but I think he just might be next. It's only game one but I think he still has a long way to go to hold off the guys behind him in the depth chart, in fact, I think his contract is the only think that has kept him here so far. That & the fact the the other guys aren't quite ready just yet but they are very close.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 04:59 PM
  #28
MikeyMagic
Registered User
 
MikeyMagic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 902
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to MikeyMagic
What!? If Lee is scratched it's a bad decision by the coaching staff. I would say after Cowen, Lee was our best defenseman in preseason. Not a good way to begin the time with a new coach. If he is scratched for more than just 1 game I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he asked for a trade. He could easily play a bottom pairing role on most teams in the league.

MikeyMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 04:59 PM
  #29
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW
 
Pietraneglo222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gatineau
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,271
vCash: 500
Lee's been playing alright but his goal was a fluke, his shot is still terrible and one of the worst in pro hockey.

Nobody wanted him when he hit waivers so he gets to sit if a Rundblad needs some games. You can find another Lee anytime even if he ragequits.

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:03 PM
  #30
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
Lee's been playing alright but his goal was a fluke, his shot is still terrible and one of the worst in pro hockey.

Nobody wanted him when he hit waivers so he gets to sit if a Rundblad needs some games. You can find another Lee anytime even if he ragequits.
The no one wanted him point is faulty, he didn't deserve to be sat all those games. No one wanted him because they have to assume he was sat for a reason.

His shot has improved, it's gone from embarrassing to almost adequate. He put more shots to the net then we'd expect from Phillips.

Lee doesn't deserve to sit, and I highly doubt it'll be long term. But I understand someone has to

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:04 PM
  #31
DG
Registered User
 
DG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,725
vCash: 500
looking at the responses in here - Lee is actually quite underrated and I don't even think he is THAT good. I always love the waivers argument - one time he was on waivers so he must suck. Not even going to give examples of how clearly untrue that is due to how many there are.

DG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:06 PM
  #32
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,052
vCash: 500
These are also situations you can't just assume is the coaching staffs preference , sometimes their hands get tied. Kubas gotta set value for himself and they have to let rundblad play and see how close he is in the short term. All of a sudden the choice is made for the coach

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:07 PM
  #33
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW
 
Pietraneglo222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Gatineau
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,271
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
The no one wanted him point is faulty, he didn't deserve to be sat all those games. No one wanted him because they have to assume he was sat for a reason.

His shot has improved, it's gone from embarrassing to almost adequate. He put more shots to the net then we'd expect from Phillips.

Lee doesn't deserve to sit, and I highly doubt it'll be long term. But I understand someone has to
It's an argument from market value, it's not faulty...

Pietraneglo222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:09 PM
  #34
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,052
vCash: 500
Brian lee probably is close to his ceiling, it also may be good enough for top 4 on our depth chart.

The coaching staff knows lee played well enough to earn ice , no doubt in my mind

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:11 PM
  #35
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'
 
Marty Straka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,842
vCash: 500
Im excited to see this Cowen-Gonchar pairing continue into the regular season watching the video from yesterday Gonchar seems leaps and bounds more confident in this new system and their playstyles complement each other.. He said it himself that he was lost in Clouston's system and spent more time thinking about what he was doing on the ice the he should have... This year he will just be able to play his style.

__________________
Marty Straka
Twitter: @JT_YosH
Marty Straka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:13 PM
  #36
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
It's an argument from market value, it's not faulty...
You can't assess value if the guy is undeservingly sat. There's no arguing with that. Brian lee would have been every bit as good or adequate as he was down the stretch last year had he played the whole season.

An organization can destroy a players value by sitting him when he deserves to be playing. No doubt someone would have picked him off waivers had he been playing the way he is now.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:13 PM
  #37
BK201
Registered User
 
BK201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,990
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobby View Post
Maybe Kuba's getting traded (NYR maybe?)
for Zucarrello

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:14 PM
  #38
aragorn
YES WE CAN
 
aragorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Azores
Posts: 10,843
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
The no one wanted him point is faulty, he didn't deserve to be sat all those games. No one wanted him because they have to assume he was sat for a reason.

His shot has improved, it's gone from embarrassing to almost adequate. He put more shots to the net then we'd expect from Phillips.

Lee doesn't deserve to sit, and I highly doubt it'll be long term. But I understand someone has to
This is the NHL, every team has scouts that watch other teams, I'm quite sure they know exactly what kind of a player Lee is, which is why he wasn't picked up on waivers. There are examples of players placed on waivers & getting picked up by another team & playing well for them. There are not very many examples of guys being placed on waivers, no one picking them up & then they play great.

Of course, there are reasons beyond a player's control as to why players are placed on waivers but in Lee's case he has never lived up to his draft position, we were all amazed he was drafted where he was. After how many yrs in the organization he only makes about $750K, that's fringe player salary. Don't you think Wiercioch, Borocop or Gryba will eventually replace him? The Sens have the depth to replace him real soon.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:15 PM
  #39
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,327
vCash: 50
Haha shaft.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:16 PM
  #40
BK201
Registered User
 
BK201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,990
vCash: 500
what ever TBH i really don't care for all we know there happy with him and want to see how other players are gonna play in the regular season.

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:21 PM
  #41
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,654
vCash: 50
they're probably just trying to tank.

__________________
RIP Kev.
danishh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:22 PM
  #42
H2O
Registered User
 
H2O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Man, people seem to put a lot of stock into what Garrioch says. That's sad.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:22 PM
  #43
Shanny
Coming In Hot
 
Shanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bytown
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,992
vCash: 500
I tend to always jump to conclusions but...I smell a trade, and unfortunately for us...Kuba has absolutely zero value right now.

I'm a Lee fan, but if Murray has a potential deal in place...I wouldn't be entirely upset, especially if it's another young guy who can grow with this youthful team through the rebuild.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:27 PM
  #44
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
This is the NHL, every team has scouts that watch other teams, I'm quite sure they know exactly what kind of a player Lee is, which is why he wasn't picked up on waivers. There are examples of players placed on waivers & getting picked up by another team & playing well for them. There are not very many examples of guys being placed on waivers, no one picking them up & then they play great.

Of course, there are reasons beyond a player's control as to why players are placed on waivers but in Lee's case he has never lived up to his draft position, we were all amazed he was drafted where he was. After how many yrs in the organization he only makes about $750K, that's fringe player salary. Don't you think Wiercioch, Borocop or Gryba will eventually replace him? The Sens have the depth to replace him real soon.
1. Scouts can't evaluate a player that isn't playing.

2. I recently said Brian Lee may be the first player traded, because Kuba may not be realistic. But I don't know what this is addressing against my argument. A scout can't evaluate a player that isn't playing, had Lee been playing earlier in the season, he'd have been picked up off waivers (because he played like an NHLer). If Ottawa had let him play, they may not have seen a reason to put him on waivers. See?

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:29 PM
  #45
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,052
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
Man, people seem to put a lot of stock into what Garrioch says. That's sad.
Well, in some cases you may wanna pay attention to what he says. The team is in Detroit, we are not, and Garrioch is in Detroit with the team.

That said, MacLean said he doesn't have to decide on him lineup until tomorrow.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:30 PM
  #46
Iggy77
Registered User
 
Iggy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afro Thunder View Post
My ass, it's a number game plus it doesn't help that he was drafted by the old management staff.
Is that why Condra and Greening aren't getting a shot either ?

Iggy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:30 PM
  #47
BK201
Registered User
 
BK201's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,990
vCash: 500
lulz imagine lee gets traded and we have a Kuba Rundblad pairing

BK201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:33 PM
  #48
H2O
Registered User
 
H2O's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,703
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
Well, in some cases you may wanna pay attention to what he says. The team is in Detroit, we are not, and Garrioch is in Detroit with the team.

That said, MacLean said he doesn't have to decide on him lineup until tomorrow.
Nah, Garrioch spews enough garbage for me never to trust anything he says, regardless of where he is.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:33 PM
  #49
Philadelphia Collins
Registered User
 
Philadelphia Collins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,128
vCash: 500
Lee looked good with Phillips down the stretch, but so did everyone else.

Its one game, who cares? We've seen what Lee brings to the table and Cowen already does it better, plus I dunno about you guys but I've been waiting a year to watch Rundblad play in the NHL and this news excites me!

Philadelphia Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:34 PM
  #50
Shanny
Coming In Hot
 
Shanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bytown
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,992
vCash: 500
So is it safe to assume that Rundblad will be paired up with Phillips tomorrow?

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.