HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Steve Jobs of Apple has Passed

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-06-2011, 08:00 AM
  #26
the sweetener
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
steve jobs didnt invent the apple computer steve wozniak did. At the end of the day, i dont think steve jobs actually invented anything but presided over a company as CEO that was responsible for great inivation.

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:17 AM
  #27
Doshell Propivo
Registered User
 
Doshell Propivo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,005
vCash: 500
The fact of the matter is that Jobs invented more, accomplished more and contributed more than any of you pea brains who are diminishing his accomplishments on the day of his death.

Sad.

Have some respect.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:00 AM
  #28
GutchBoring13
Registered User
 
GutchBoring13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 887
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GutchBoring13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
The fact of the matter is that Jobs invented more, accomplished more and contributed more than any of you pea brains who are diminishing his accomplishments on the day of his death.

Sad.

Have some respect.
You know who died yesterday and actually did **** to advance society? Fred Shuttlesworth.

Where's the RIP Fred Shuttlesworth thread on HFBoards?

Oh right, people care more about toys.

GutchBoring13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:06 AM
  #29
the sweetener
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 483
vCash: 500
im not disagreeing that during his time at apple the company wasnt responsible for great innovation and it is sad when a person dies. its tragic when someone loses a father, husband, coworker, leader, mentor, etc but charity is something that was always absent from jobs resume. the great ones are the ones that give back.

the sweetener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:41 AM
  #30
goal1228
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 958
vCash: 500
Steve Jobs: America's Greatest Syrian

by John Mak 5.
October
2011
Abdul Fattah Jandali, a young Syrian Muslim immigrant in Wisconsin, never met his son Steve Jobs. When a baby was born to the 23-year-old Jandali -- now known as John -- and his 23-year-old German-American girlfriend, Joanne Schieble, in 1955, there was no chance he'd be able to grow up with his biological parents.

Joanne, who belonged to a white, conservative Christian family could not convince her parents to marry an Arab, a Muslim, according to Jandali, who called her father "a tyrant" in a New York Post interview in August 2011. In fact, according to Jandali, she secreted off from Wisconsin to liberal San Francisco to sort out the birth and adoption without letting either him or her parents know.

goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 09:55 AM
  #31
ferrisUML
Registered User
 
ferrisUML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GutchBoring13 View Post
Meanwhile, do I need to list the things Edison invented?

-The phonograph, the first recorded music device
-A microphone for telephones that was used for over 100 years
-The filament in lightbulbs
-Harnessing ******* ELECTRICITY
-The stock ticker
-The kinetoscope/kinetograph (basically, the first motion picture machines)
-The mechanical vote counter (the same lever system used in NY until a few elections ago)

What did Steve Jobs invent?

-not the graphical interface
-not the personal computer
-not the portable mp3 player
-not the smartphone
-not the touchscreen
-not the tablet

He made high quality devices based off work other people had already done. I don't get this cult. I've never owned a Mac, don't have an iPhone or iPad, and I got an iPod as a gift, but had a Zune that was working pretty fine. Jobs was no messiah.
Your very correct. Jobs didn't invent anything. Apple/Jobs stole the very thing that put Apple and MS on the map (the GUI) from cannon. He should be credited as more a revolutionary and innovator in the PC/consumer electronics space, but definilty not an inventor.

But his influence cannot be denied and even if your on the other side of the fence of Apple products, his contributions undoubtably made your products better and easier to use.

RIP Steve!

ferrisUML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 10:15 AM
  #32
JKP
Registered User
 
JKP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Halifax, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,701
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sweetener View Post
steve jobs didnt invent the apple computer steve wozniak did. At the end of the day, i dont think steve jobs actually invented anything but presided over a company as CEO that was responsible for great inivation.
Jobs led the Mac team in the early 80s.

Jobs' fanatical devotion to ease of use and simplicity in technology drove the amalgamation of existing and new technologies in unique ways.

Jobs saw the vision of cgi cartoons and bought and funded Pixar at a loss for years before they finally made Toy Story and changed how animated movies were made.

Jobs single-handedly convinced the music industry to embrace online sales with iTunes (to the iPod's lock-in and the industry's later regret).

Jobs revolutionized four industries; PCs (twice - with Apple II and then the original Mac!), music (iPod + iTunes), mobile communications (with the iPhone) and cinema (Pixar and their Renderman technology).

This is without talking about the creation of the tablet category with the iPad.

The man was a visionary. His influence absolutely undeniable. His ability to transform industries amazing.

To diminish these accomplishments and his impact is simply ignorant of the facts.

NOTE: I actually meant to reply to GutchBoring13's Edison post, not the one I replied to.


Last edited by JKP: 10-06-2011 at 10:20 AM. Reason: added note
JKP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:00 PM
  #33
periferal
Registered User
 
periferal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 4,307
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GutchBoring13 View Post
Meanwhile, do I need to list the things Edison invented?

-The phonograph, the first recorded music device
-A microphone for telephones that was used for over 100 years
-The filament in lightbulbs
-Harnessing ******* ELECTRICITY
-The stock ticker
-The kinetoscope/kinetograph (basically, the first motion picture machines)
-The mechanical vote counter (the same lever system used in NY until a few elections ago)

What did Steve Jobs invent?

-not the graphical interface
-not the personal computer
-not the portable mp3 player
-not the smartphone
-not the touchscreen
-not the tablet

He made high quality devices based off work other people had already done. I don't get this cult. I've never owned a Mac, don't have an iPhone or iPad, and I got an iPod as a gift, but had a Zune that was working pretty fine. Jobs was no messiah.


Do we really need to get into a p*****g match over this? Jobs was exceptional. Thomas Edison was exceptional. This is not the time or place to debate nor is there an answer anyway.

Instead, honor Steve Jobs' life by simply celebrating all he did create and how the world is a better place because he lived in it.

periferal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:28 PM
  #34
GutchBoring13
Registered User
 
GutchBoring13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 887
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to GutchBoring13
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
Do we really need to get into a p*****g match over this? Jobs was exceptional. Thomas Edison was exceptional. This is not the time or place to debate nor is there an answer anyway.

Instead, honor Steve Jobs' life by simply celebrating all he did create and how the world is a better place because he lived in it.
Bill Gates used his wealth do do just that. Steve Jobs never gave his to charity. He had the opportunity to make the world a better place, and really just gave us toys.

GutchBoring13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:32 PM
  #35
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!
 
Dutch Frost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Queens, NY
Posts: 2,594
vCash: 1130
Ill go with Nikola Tesla over Edison any day!!! That is just my 2 cents..

As for Jobs, yes he did not invent anything but it is safe to say that his products helped revolutionize the world for the better as I am typing this on my Imac OSX Snow Leopard

Dutch Frost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:34 PM
  #36
Trumanperro
Registered User
 
Trumanperro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 1,894
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Trumanperro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GutchBoring13 View Post
Bill Gates used his wealth do do just that. Steve Jobs never gave his to charity. He had the opportunity to make the world a better place, and really just gave us toys.
I like you friend, you've got the right ideas, I think just chose the wrong time to express them. I agree with most of which you say. However, even though you are right, he did just die. Lets just respect him as a great marketer and business man today. RIP Steve Jobs.

Trumanperro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 12:35 PM
  #37
ferrisUML
Registered User
 
ferrisUML's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 804
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GutchBoring13 View Post
Bill Gates used his wealth do do just that. Steve Jobs never gave his to charity. He had the opportunity to make the world a better place, and really just gave us toys.
I agree with you here. Bill Gates is probably the world's greatest philantropist. Jobs had the opportunity to truly make the world a better place through giving, but has not. To be fair though, every millionaire/billionaire has this opportunity.

Jobs has made the 1st world nations a more convenient place with his accomplishments. Noble, no, but he still contributed and did, in fact, change lives. Thats a pretty rare thing and as such his life should be celebrated and his loss mourned.

ferrisUML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:40 PM
  #38
OlTimeHockey
Registered User
 
OlTimeHockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: home
Country: China
Posts: 15,768
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GutchBoring13 View Post
You know who died yesterday and actually did **** to advance society? Fred Shuttlesworth.

Where's the RIP Fred Shuttlesworth thread on HFBoards?

Oh right, people care more about toys.
Wow.....zing. I didn't hear about it until now. Thanks. Steve Who?

I would urge everyone read up on this great man......Jackson pretended to be the right hand man but this great man was the driving force behind some of the greatest and most powerful King moments.

And he used a Commodore Vic 20.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 05:30 PM
  #39
IslesFanatic
**** you SnoWang
 
IslesFanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 12,654
vCash: 500
Thank you Steve Jobs. RIP.

IslesFanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.