HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canuck prospects in the QMJHL vs Russia series

Closed Thread

Old
10-18-2005, 02:34 PM
canuck293

vCash: 500
Canuck prospects in the QMJHL vs Russia series

Julien Ellis Plante and Luc Bourdon were both named to the QMJHL roster set to play the Russians starting in late November!

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/shown...ntent=j101808A

Old
10-18-2005, 02:49 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
I wonder where all the Bourdon haters are...didn't you guys want that softy in Kopitar?

Bourdon is going to kick some serious buttock.

Old
10-18-2005, 02:56 PM
clay

Bourdon's gonna show what he's made of; Ellis-Plante is gonna show why he truly should have been picked in the first round of the 2004 draft.

Old
10-18-2005, 03:07 PM
Steveorama

Unfortunately, the rest of the "Q" team, especially the Defense, looks very weak.
Bourdon might play 30 minutes in both games.
Ellis-Plante will see a ton of rubber, I suspect, too.

Old
10-18-2005, 03:15 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
I would imagine Vincent was probably in the mix too... maybe if they were carrying a 3rd tender.

Old
10-18-2005, 08:49 PM
AgentNaslund*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Attack
I wonder where all the Bourdon haters are...didn't you guys want that softy in Kopitar?

Bourdon is going to kick some serious buttock.
stop trying to bait. Kopitar had as good as a camp as Bourdon did.

Old
10-18-2005, 09:23 PM
SedinFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentNaslund
stop trying to bait. Kopitar had as good as a camp as Bourdon did.
Actually, from the reports I read, he looked slow and had difficulty adapting to the NA game. I've read repeatedly he has to work on his skating.....

Not trying to bait at all, just curious to know where you all are.

Anyways, as someone said the Q's defense looks pittiful, so it'll be a true test to see Bourdon play against the Russians top guys game in and game out. Great for his development.

Old
10-18-2005, 10:48 PM
ZombieMatt

Not all the D is bad, either.

Marc-Andre Gragnani, for example, is a very, very good defenceman, particularly at this level. If he puts on some strength, he's a very viable candidate for a top four role in the NHL because of his intelligence, positioning, hard work, and never say die sort of approach on the ice.

As you can see, I'm very high on him.

Old
10-18-2005, 10:56 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

vCash: 200
Quote:
Umm...I don't think anyone here "hated" Bourdon. I, like many others here, preferred getting an offensive prospect rather than a D-man. We are all happy that Bourdon is doing well.

Old
10-19-2005, 12:08 AM
cyrisweb

Think this could really be make or break for Ellis and his chance to make team Canada? He doesn't have a super strong supporting cast but if he does well this should be a huge bonus for him.

Old
10-19-2005, 12:12 AM
ZombieMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles
Umm...I don't think anyone here "hated" Bourdon. I, like many others here, preferred getting an offensive prospect rather than a D-man. We are all happy that Bourdon is doing well.
That's not entirely true. There were people calling for Nonis' head, calling the move unacceptable, saying it was a joke and an embarassment for the organization. There were certainly a sizeable number of people who hated the pick. Only after rationally looking at the pick, and actually bothering to learn about Bourdon, and eventually see him play, many people changed their views.

Old
10-19-2005, 06:59 AM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt MacInnis
That's not entirely true. There were people calling for Nonis' head, calling the move unacceptable, saying it was a joke and an embarassment for the organization. There were certainly a sizeable number of people who hated the pick. Only after rationally looking at the pick, and actually bothering to learn about Bourdon, and eventually see him play, many people changed their views.
I'm with Bubbles on this, most people here I think realized that Bourdon was the best defenseman available, but we were calling for Nonis' head because we wanted to pick Kopitar. I think most people who wanted Kopitar would still pick him knowing what we know now. That being said, I assume everybody knew (because we're talking about prospects) that Bourdon could be better then Kopitar, and Kopitar could be better then Bourdon in the long run.

Old
10-19-2005, 09:03 AM
ZombieMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jin
I'm with Bubbles on this, most people here I think realized that Bourdon was the best defenseman available, but we were calling for Nonis' head because we wanted to pick Kopitar. I think most people who wanted Kopitar would still pick him knowing what we know now. That being said, I assume everybody knew (because we're talking about prospects) that Bourdon could be better then Kopitar, and Kopitar could be better then Bourdon in the long run.
Not to be petty, but I don't think this is necessarily the case either. There was at least a very sizeable group that didn't feel that Bourdon was the top D left either (Marc Staal). Of course, none of what I've said shows that Bourdon was hated (just that others were preferred over him), but it definitely indicates that as a whole, the selection was not immediately popular.

Old
10-19-2005, 09:51 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Actually, from the reports I read, he looked slow and had difficulty adapting to the NA game. I've read repeatedly he has to work on his skating.....

Not trying to bait at all, just curious to know where you all are.

Anyways, as someone said the Q's defense looks pittiful, so it'll be a true test to see Bourdon play against the Russians top guys game in and game out. Great for his development.
Not sure which reports you read--the Kings were very happy with that pick.

I was one of the guys that wanted Kopitar. Am I happy with Bourdon? Yup. But I would have been happy with Anze, too. Most people out there feel that way; and don't try to pass off baiting as "curiosity".

~Canucklehead~

Old
10-19-2005, 03:34 PM

I wish Bourdon were going to play the top Russians "game in and game out," but it's only two games: "The six-game series features a Russian select team playing against all-star teams from the QMJHL, OHL and WHL." (Slam Hockey)

It looks to me that there was zero chance of Vincent being on the team, given that they named only two goalies. Ellis was a good choice, as a world junior team candidate and as a solid, veteran, big-minute, 10th-place performer in the Q in both GAA and SAV%. (And of course as a prospect for us Canuck fans.) If fairness prevails, he'll see all the rubber.

But Pier-Olivier Pelletier, the other goalie . . . hello? Let me say that I don't have a feel for the Q--sitting here in Vancouver looking at stats--so I could *easily* be missing many important considerations. That said, one such consideration appears to be politics.

Pelletier is currently ranked 25th in the Q in SAV%, and 17th in GAA. His figures are 3.38 and .877. There are 7 big-minute, sub-3.00 GAA, .900-plus SAV% goalies ranked above him, along with 4 smaller-minute such goalies like Vincent (at the top of the overall list).

Vincent's teammate, Sylvain Michaud, who gets double Vincent's minutes, has great stats too and would be a logical veteran choice for the Q squad. But there are several other guys like that, since by the raw stats, after all, Ellis ranks 10th.

However, the first game is in Pelletier's barn, and his coach is one of the assistant coaches. Pelletier's team has the most players on the Q squad, a coach, and one of the two venues. Whatever, I just hope Ellis sees the rubber, and Pelletier rides the pine.

Old
10-19-2005, 03:41 PM
BAuldie

Send a message via ICQ to BAuldie Send a message via MSN to BAuldie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 701
I wish Bourdon were going to play the top Russians "game in and game out," but it's only two games: "The six-game series features a Russian select team playing against all-star teams from the QMJHL, OHL and WHL." (Slam Hockey)

It looks to me that there was zero chance of Vincent being on the team, given that they named only two goalies. Ellis was a good choice, as a world junior team candidate and as a solid, veteran, big-minute, 10th-place performer in the Q in both GAA and SAV%. (And of course as a prospect for us Canuck fans.) If fairness prevails, he'll see all the rubber.

But Pier-Olivier Pelletier, the other goalie . . . hello? Let me say that I don't have a feel for the Q--sitting here in Vancouver looking at stats--so I could *easily* be missing many important considerations. That said, one such consideration appears to be politics.

Pelletier is currently ranked 25th in the Q in SAV%, and 17th in GAA. His figures are 3.38 and .877. There are 7 big-minute, sub-3.00 GAA, .900-plus SAV% goalies ranked above him, along with 4 smaller-minute such goalies like Vincent (at the top of the overall list).

Vincent's teammate, Sylvain Michaud, who gets double Vincent's minutes, has great stats too and would be a logical veteran choice for the Q squad. But there are several other guys like that, since by the raw stats, after all, Ellis ranks 10th.

However, the first game is in Pelletier's barn, and his coach is one of the assistant coaches. Pelletier's team has the most players on the Q squad, a coach, and one of the two venues. Whatever, I just hope Ellis sees the rubber, and Pelletier rides the pine.
Michaud gets double the minutes because Vincent is hurt in some shape or form.. he has not been dressed for a while.

Old
10-19-2005, 05:38 PM

Yes, I've been watching that for a while. Lucky for Chicoutimi to have two top goaltenders. I wish someone closer to the Q could tell us how long Vincent's expected to be out.

Speaking of goalies, that new young kid from Junior A, Bobby Nadeau, has done well for Val d'Or so far, after Proteau (thankfully) quit. Must be good for Bourdon's state of mind. Like Vincent, Nadeau will have to play more than 3 or 4 games before his stats have much meaning.

Bourdon and Ellis's Shawinigan meet this week. Luc only had 3 hits against Rouyn-Noranda, but they only had 6 hits as a team.

Old
10-19-2005, 06:05 PM
SedinFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbles
Not true, many people thought it was a pointless selection, horrible pick etc etc..list went on and on.

Old
10-19-2005, 06:06 PM
SedinFan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead17
Not sure which reports you read--the Kings were very happy with that pick.

I was one of the guys that wanted Kopitar. Am I happy with Bourdon? Yup. But I would have been happy with Anze, too. Most people out there feel that way; and don't try to pass off baiting as "curiosity".

~Canucklehead~
It is complete curiousity. It seems whenever someone says something negative, and that situation turns out to be a huge positive, they never admit to being wrong. That's all. So I am CURIOUS to see where these people stand now.

Old
10-19-2005, 07:27 PM

OK, I just sent an email in French to the Chicoutimi Sags' address, asking if Vincent is injured, and if so, what's wrong and when is he expected to return to the ice. Actually, I called them first, but got the answering machine, so I decided to write instead. We'll see. I have a basic love of Quebec and its people, so I'm optimistic about a response.

Old
10-20-2005, 03:38 PM

Vincent returns to action the 24th

The Sags office graciously replied to my email asking about Vincent's health. While they didn't actually divulge anything about an injury, they did say he would probably see action again on 24 October coming up.

For the letter from les Sagueneens de Chicoutimi, along with an English translation, please go to the Prospect Stats Sticky thread, post #98. It's brief but kinda fun.

I told ya, Quebec and les Quebecois are great! Merci, Madame Girard, et vive les Sags!

Old
10-21-2005, 06:33 PM

Make that a return to game action the 28th and/or 29th for Alexandre Vincent, since the Sags have no games until then, after the 23rd. I guess Madame Girard meant he'll be back practicing the 24th.

Notable games for Canuck fans, whatever the dates. The Sags welcome Luc the Nuke's Foreurs the 28th, and entertain Ellis's Shawinigan Chretiens, oops, Cataractes the next night. A battle between our excellent goalie prospects.

Closed Thread